Old 08-09-2004, 03:34 PM   #1  
Abby's Mommy

Exclamation Pain in the breast bone??

Reciently, (as in say, the past week) I've been having some pain in my breastbone area. Some times I can't tell if its muscular pain, or if it's something like stiff joints. (yes, I know there arent any joints in the breastbone.) My mother freaked out when I asked her about it, asuming I was having a heartattack. (I'm 22) I cant think of anything I could have done reciently that could have pulled something in that area, b/c I've been horribly lacking in my gym time. I've been walking instead, and doing some pilates, but that doesn't seem to me to be strenous enough to cause this. Tha pain isn't really bad, but sometimes it's kind of sharp. Mostly though, it's like a dull ache. Has anyone had something like this? Do you all think I should be worried enough to see a doctor?
Ivanna B. Skinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 03:51 PM   #2  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

if it persists, I would. You can never be too careful.
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 04:02 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

I get a sharp pain just below my breasts, like along my bra line, it hurts so badly I can't breath sometimes, but it's definitely a muscle cramp and it goes away. I would definitely see a doctor if the pain doesn't go away, as Sandi said, you cant never be too careful (of course it's easy for me to say "see a doctor" I get to see them for free). Try typing it into google, sometimes that helps me to find cures for little things (like indigestion from cucumbers, apparently its COMMON!).
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 04:07 PM   #4  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

I had this last year and my doctor told me to stop drinking coffee, tea, hot chocolate and to stop eating chocolate for a month. After 2 weeks the pains stopped.

She told me that a lot of women can develop this from consuming caffeine and advised me to switch to decaf coffee and tea. I did and I haven't had any problems since.

You should as your doctor about it if it persists.
mauvaisroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 06:03 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

I agree- no harm in at least TALKING to your doctor. Give him or her a call, maybe, and see what they think.
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 06:40 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 247/177.5/130

Height: 5'3"

Amy- My advice is it is always better to be safe than sorry... Go have it checked out! Good Luck and please keep us posted!
tolose85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 07:18 PM   #7  
WW on-line since 1/1/2009

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'5"

I would probably have it checked out.

That's interesting about the caffeine, Mauv. I never would have thought of that!
Jennelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 07:39 PM   #8  
Abby's Mommy

Thanks you all. I appreciate your advice. I never thought caffene was *that* bad for you, but I do need to cut back. If I feel this again tomorrow, I'll call my doc. Thanks again!!
Old 08-09-2004, 08:21 PM   #9  
Big-time loser

S/C/G: 306.6/247.2/156-164

Height: 5'8"

It sounds like something I've experienced before too, so you're definately not alone - that bit about caffeine is odd - I'll have to evaluate that next time it happens.
jenicra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 11:53 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/120

Height: 5 foot 4

Hi Ivanna, One of the main workouts I do is Pilates. I have noticed out of all the workouts I do I'm the most sore after I do Pilates. (I don't sweat much if any sometimes.) I do feel it the whole day. One has to be careful that they are not straining. I think you should check in with a doctor if your pain increases. Or maybe you can just call a nurse. I know in my area we have something called Ask A Nurse. You call and tell them what is going on and they ask you questions then give you advice on if they feel it's something that needs to be looked at or something that you can do to help it at home. You might want to check if something like that is offered in your area. On the note about pop. I can't drink Coke because after I do I get a terrible ache on my right side under my ribs. Maybe it's the caffine. I have had it before with other cola products but Coke gets me everytime. I have a sister that drinks coke and has never had a problem. Have you noticed the pain after drinking any kind of cola product. Or for that matter any kind of food. I hope you feel better.
Mez
mezmerize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 01:22 AM   #11  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

A couple of other things:

It could be your back. I've experienced displaced pain - where one thing is affected but it hurts in another area, especially with my back.

Pilates definatley could do it if you're crunching or doing something that might put strain in a place you're not used to.

And my breastbone pops - I know this is really gross but sometimes I get a pain in my breastbone and if I stretch out my chest, it will suddenly POP (like popping your back or your neck). Bizarre, I know, but try a nice long chest stretch.
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 10:44 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

I know when I had my gall bladder attacks that is where the pain was at. I actually thought I might be having a heart attack the pain was so bad. I had 3 or 4 before I finally ended up in the emergency room at 2 a.m. because I couldn't stand the pain. I ditto getting it checked out.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 01:45 PM   #13  
Abby's Mommy

Jessica, mine pops sometimes, too. I havn't felt it today, so maybe I did just strain something. Thank you all for your advice, I really appreciate it!!
Old 08-13-2004, 03:37 AM   #14  

About a year ago I had the sharp stabbing pain in the center of my chest and I honestly did think it was my heart. The pain would hit like someone was stabbing me with a sharp object. I did go to the hospital and was checked out completely. They said it was a strained muscle and after a week or so it did go away. I don't know how or when I hurt myself but I tell you it was a relief to know that it wasn't what I thought it was. HTH
Angelic_Me is offline   Reply With Quote