Vegetarian and Vegan FAQ - What type are you?

View Full Version : What type are you?

mauvaisroux
08-07-2004, 11:05 PM
Here is a brief overview of the types of vegetarian lifestyles that are practiced

Ovo-Lacto
Based on eating grains, vegetables, fruits, legumes, nuts and seeds, eggs and dairy products.

Lacto-Vegetarian
Similar to Ovo lacto but eggs are not eaten.

Ovo-vegetarians
Similar to Ovo lacto, eggs are eaten but dairy is not.

Vegans
Based on grains, vegetables, fruits, legumes, nuts and seeds but eliminates all meat, eggs and dairy.

Semi-vegetarians
This refers to people who eat predominantly vegetarian but will occasionaly eat fish, poultry or meat or they may eat mostly vegetarian but will eat fish, there is no real exact description for this term,

ellenuw
05-18-2005, 07:20 PM
Semi-vegetarians
This refers to people who eat predominantly vegetarian but will occasionaly eat fish, poultry or meat or they may eat mostly vegetarian but will eat fish, there is no real exact description for this term,

Today I heard the term "pesce-veggie" for those who eat fish. Not sure if it included dairy and eggs or not - then it just starts to be a mouthful.

mauvaisroux
05-19-2005, 10:31 AM
:lol: another thing to think about!

hannah_phi
05-21-2005, 12:56 AM
Yes, it is a mouthfull. My DBF is an "ovo-lacto-pesce vegetarian." It was pretty funny when we had to explain that to his meat and potatoes family.

zvezdy
05-22-2005, 12:54 PM
I'm vegan. Also, we don't eat honey, or some types of sugar.

Sazzy
05-24-2005, 01:01 PM
I'm a vegan too

VeggiMom
06-01-2005, 07:28 PM
Currently ovo-lacto striving to go vegan ... but not doing such a hot job of giving up cheese and eggs.

I've ditched milk, butter and ice cream. I have cut back on egg consumption. But I'm having a harder time with cheese. Mostly because my hubby is still ovo-lacto with no real strong desire to go vegan ... which makes it harder.

But I'm a work in progress ... and I keep trying.

mamakaydee
06-03-2005, 03:10 AM
Predominantly vegan, but not exclusively so. There's not really a word for what I am, and my views are complicated to explain without people's eyes glazing over! But here goes anyway :lol:

I avoid most animal products for ethical reasons. I don't eat any meat from farmed animals, and try to avoid non-meat farmed animal products, as well (dairy and eggs--but really only from companies whose practices I am familiar with, OR if the food has already been purchased and will go to waste if not eaten). I have fewer ethical objections to eating wild animals, which means I do eat an occasional fish if it has been sustainably caught. I do eat some other sustainably-harvested sea creatures that are low down in the food chain and don't have a central nervous system (meaning that it is believed that they don't feel pain)--oysters, clams, mussels, scallops. I don't eat any wild game, even though I think eating, say, a hunted deer is more ethical than eating factory-farmed milk, but I just couldn't stomach it and have no urge to eat that sort of meat.

Perhaps I am a complicatedtarian! :dizzy:

aphil
06-14-2005, 09:28 AM
I am a semi-vegetarian.

I eat vegetarian about half of the week, and eat a little meat the other half. (Not consecutive days) I do eat eggs, yogurt, etc. but I drink soymilk instead of regular milk, and when I do buy meat and eggs and milk (for my carnivorous family) I do what I can and buy products that are organic/free range/no antibiotics/hormones and so forth. I try to use the companies that have "better" practices.

On my meat free days I use soy products a lot for protein.

darlingchick
07-15-2005, 01:40 PM
I'm a lacto-ovo vegetarian, because I'm the only non-omnivorous one in my family (I'm 18!). I eventually want to go vegan, but for now I've settled. I'm a south beach veggie, too! ;)

mommylil
07-24-2005, 04:47 PM
I'm a striving vegan... My goal is to be a vegan someday. Right now I'd say 99% of what I eat is vegan. I eat no dairy currently because I'm nursing and my DS gets very gassy if I have dairy and I only eat eggs if they are hidden ingredients but I'm trying to cut that out all together too.

lbsbgone
08-05-2005, 11:02 AM
I have been told to start out slowly on my whole foods diet, so therefore I will start out as a semi-vegetarian with the ultimate goal of becoming a vegan someday. I have no support from my family as they have no desire to go veggie. They want the typical american and mexican food diets in the house and we have lots of candy in the house too. So, I may need alot of support from the people on this thread.

This morning I am going to the health food store to get ideas and to buy foods to get started on the whole foods diet.

Any recipes or ideas to help me out would be appreciated. I have a very small budget to work with at the health food store. Thanks.

lbsbgone

Yael
08-07-2005, 02:09 PM
It seems to deflect questions.

I am working toward being a 100% vegitarian. I just can't seem to get suffiecient protein, which is what I think triggered the big weight gain (that and Lime Tostitos). I'm supposed to to something with flax seed, I think. I'm still chasing down the formula that is best for me.

I've let go of milk, red meat and the "other" white meat. I occasionally have fish, and rarely have chicken.

My other big problem is that I'm in a very rural area. So I have a heck of a time getting my ingredients. It's tough to get tofu, let alone tempeh. I need to focus my efforts on it, and do some road trips. But I just haven't done it consistently.

lbsbgone
08-07-2005, 05:15 PM
Your starting weight is the same weight that I am now. How long did it take you following your flexitarian diet to reach your current weight of 179 lbs., if I am not being too nosey. Hoping for more inspiration for me with your answer. Thanks!

lbsbgone

whatsername
08-08-2005, 02:59 PM
i'm a semi-vegetarian... I eat some fish, but mostly only shrimp and tuna just because I don't like anything else lol. I also eat spagetti with meat sauce, because it's my favorite food... no use trying to get me to give that up. I have chicken occasionally when we go out to eat but I only eat meat at home once or twice a month... I went vegetarian partly for ethical reasons, although i'm a hypocrite cause I still eat it sometimes, but mostly because it's just healthier- and I never ate much meat before, i'm not too fond of red meat anyway, so it wasn't much of a sacrifice to get where I am now. i've lost a good amount of weight also, and I feel much healthier and better about myself.

Yael
08-08-2005, 10:14 PM
Well, you may not like the answer, but....
the first 20ish lbs took 2 years. But I wasn't consistent with my food. I was also under some life stress, which didn't help me. I'd loose 3 lbs one month, gain 2 the next. That kind of thing. But I kept trying and exercising. I wasn't logging my food. I was just eating too much. My serving sizes were way off.

What really turned it around for me was the Okinawa diet The food is really good, it heavily relies on soy, and it tastes great. In the last 8 weeks I've lost 16 lbs. But I'm logging my food and exercising. But I'm really satisfied for the first time in ages. I can turn down things that aren't healthy for me because I feel so much better.

Hope this helps.

FreeToBeMe
10-21-2005, 07:44 AM
HI..........
I am not really sure what to call myself...I just do not eat---beef,pork,chicken or fish..
I eat veggies,fruits,nuts,milk and cheese...and of course grains...and I like the fake meat meals........LOL........I decided to go meatless and fishless.....ha ha..after thinking of me eating baby animals to make me feel good...
It is not worth the nightmare of hearing their crys....
I am new here..........so if you all can help me get around...I would be so thankful..
I have a start weight of 364 and down 352 so far..
Thanks for letting me be me............Barb........Delmar,Maryland... :-)

Yogini
10-21-2005, 02:24 PM
I am vegan. This means I *never* eat animal products. No honey, beef, chicken, pork, sea foods, fish etc. no gelatin and so on.

For the record, a person who eats fish is a "pescatarian" in most vegetarian circles.

Yogini
10-21-2005, 02:31 PM
Predominantly vegan, but not exclusively so. There's not really a word for what I am, and my views are complicated to explain without people's eyes glazing over! But here goes anyway :lol:

I avoid most animal products for ethical reasons. I don't eat any meat from farmed animals, and try to avoid non-meat farmed animal products, as well (dairy and eggs--but really only from companies whose practices I am familiar with, OR if the food has already been purchased and will go to waste if not eaten). I have fewer ethical objections to eating wild animals, which means I do eat an occasional fish if it has been sustainably caught. I do eat some other sustainably-harvested sea creatures that are low down in the food chain and don't have a central nervous system (meaning that it is believed that they don't feel pain)--oysters, clams, mussels, scallops. I don't eat any wild game, even though I think eating, say, a hunted deer is more ethical than eating factory-farmed milk, but I just couldn't stomach it and have no urge to eat that sort of meat.

I'd say that's pretty darn far away from a vegan diet or lifestyle! Looks like "selective omnivore" is a good term to describe how you choose to eat or not eat animals.

Mina
12-15-2005, 02:47 AM
I'm actually re-committing to veganism after reverting to ovo-lacto for a few years due to health concerns.

Heva2015
01-07-2006, 10:20 PM
I'm vegan, don't eat anything with animal products in it but I am new and occasionally make mistakes with hidden products or when I don't realise what something is on the label. I'm getting a lot better, I just can't face the idea of something suffering so that I can eat. I can't even pick apples off a tree myself incase it hurts the tree...I think I'm getting neurotic!!!

SweetLady66
01-07-2006, 11:55 PM
Vegan

shrinkingchica
01-10-2006, 02:35 PM
I am semi-vegetarian (have been since I was about 13) in that over the course of a month I might have one meal with fish or chicken. But, I am looking to end that all together. :)

Tampaquillowner
02-18-2006, 10:10 PM
I am a Ovo-Lacto vegetarian. I have been for about 4 months now. I slipped when I started the South Beach Diet, because I was afraid that I would fail if I didnt eat at least some meat to keep my diet varied (phase 1). Since I started Phase 2 I am back on the wagon and feeling fine about it. I havent eaten red meat or pork since I was about 10 (22 now) and I find chicken is the hardest thing to give up. But I really enjoy meat replacement things like burgers and crumbles. I also really like Tofu, I made my first recipe about 2 weeks ago and really really liked it. I havent tried Tempeh yet but I bought some I just cant find it!

Darlingchick how are you doing on South Beach? I have lost 25 pounds since January 1st and am feeling great. When did you start?

katgurl76
02-23-2006, 11:38 PM
Pescatarian

Tazzieone
02-24-2006, 09:07 PM
I am a vegetarian (ovo-lacto) and have been off and on for about 10 years, I find I feel much better if I don't eat meat, I had been eating veggie and my doc asked me to go on a lo carb diet to help control my blood sugar and I quickly found out that red meat gives me heart burn and chicken makes me gain weight :-/
finally I just gave it up again, WOW what a difference! and my blood sugar stays normal as long as I work out :-) my weight quit jumping around, my next project is to really reduce processed foods especially bread, I already eat alot of brown rice ( rather than white rice) the thing I really have a tough time with is Bagels so I allow myself one a week if I do all my work outs. Also I am working on cutting back on my fat intake and hopefully the 2 things together will kick start my weight loss again :-)

Mary

YP1
02-25-2006, 05:49 AM
I've found my diet becoming more and more vegetarian over the past year or so to the point where I only eat chicken or tuna once or twice a week. This hasn't been a deliberate decision as such, it just seemed to happen. (I also eat dairy products, and very occasionally eggs). I've decided to see if I can cut out the meat (although I may retain the fish at first) and work towards becoming fully vegetarian. This is still a bit of a learning process, and I wouldn't claim to be there yet, but I thought I'd pop in over here and look at some of the resources.

San*_*
05-07-2006, 12:31 PM
I now eat fish, eggs and dairy. But as of tomorrow I'm going back to vegan which I used to be for 6 months. I don't really like fakemeats, but am a fan of nutloaf, beans and lentils. I like veg as well, especially tomatoes. Don't really know how much protein I should have if I'm being vegan and dieting at the same time. I have an excel program that calculates all the ratios in percentages. Also is anyone here counting calories? Or is it too old fashioned? I thought I'd aim for 1400 a day as I don't really exercise much. My real vice is, believe it or not... juice. I drink 2-3 litres a day. Thought I'd swap it for sparkling mineral water, but I don't know how my body will react to the sudden shock of not getting massive amounts of sugar. I hope someone replies:) Thank you.

davinci123
05-11-2006, 03:26 AM
I am a Ovo-Lacto. I started this when I was twelve. The site of lobsters in the supermarket tank was distributing. I decided from that moment on I would not eat meat anymore . I definitely "see animal faces" when I look at cheeseburgers, chicken wings, etc. Flash forward thirteen years: I've attempted to eat fish due to all the associated health benefits. I just can't get used to the taste. I found common ground through fish oil supplements.

BainidheDub
05-23-2006, 11:08 PM
i'm an ovo-lacto vegetarian. i'm 20 years old and i was born& raised veggie, so it's not an ethical or helath thing really, just lifestyle. i'm not a big fan of milk& cheese, except in cereal& tea and italian food, respectively. soo this diet thing is perplexing me a little on where to go after portion control and not eating crap.

<mini-rant> i really hate people who carry their vegetarianism/veganism like some banner.. it doesn't make you the most special person ever.. it's not that hard. stop being an attention whore and shut the :censored: up!! </mini-rant>

veggiechick
08-07-2006, 10:57 PM
Hi all Im new to this forum so its nice to meet everyone. I was vegan for a while but now i eat dairy - I do not eat eggs , gelatin or any kind of meat - i also try for products not containing animal bits nor tested on them and i have stopped buying leather, swede , down etc

Liz-z78
08-08-2006, 12:07 AM
Hi veggiechick. I'm vegetarian going towards a whole foods vegan diet. Dairy is the hardest of me to let go... specifically ice cream. Cheese, milk, butter etc. I haven't had in ages but ice cream is one vice that I am having a hard time letting go of. Just need to oust it all together and stick with it, I've found the non-dairy versions not up to par.
Glad to know that there are other veggies going through the weight-loss struggle with me. :)

Lillybet
08-26-2006, 04:14 PM
I'm ovo-lacto, but am leaning towards a vegan diet. The hardest part for me is giving up cheese. I don't eat a lot of it, but occasionally love the taste of it on a sandwich or casserole. Also, I'm still in the learning process, of learning how to develop a better rounded veggie diet. It's a growing process.

AmberNichole1983
10-07-2006, 06:39 PM
I'm Semi-vegetarian i guess. I don't drink milk, but i will eat cheese and eggs. I will also eat fish. Maybe once every couple months i might eat some chicken, but it's a pretty rare thing. I will not eat any red meats or pork, my body can't handle it anymore.

learnedhand
11-12-2006, 01:17 AM
I'm ovo-lacto who eats certain shellfish, and I have been for at least thirteen years. I have finally evolved into a philosophy about it -- I think it's hypocritical to ask someone else to kill and clean any animal that I wouldn't be able to deal with myself. Pretty much just leaves me with mollusks and shrimp (I really only eat them at restaurants, but I know I could deal with it).

My dad has evolved a simplified explanation for new people -> "she won't eat anything with a face." I think it works.

I'm interested to find out if there are of the diets like South Beach that have worked well for vegetarians. The emphasis on meat/fish protein has honestly been one of the major things holding me back from trying one of those diets.

Thanks!

leah_0600
07-29-2007, 09:26 PM
i'm a pescatarian... i haven't eaten any meat in years except for fish. I don't like the taste of meat, and i also think fish plays a big part health and nutrition wise. Omega 3 and all that jazz!

MamaSam
09-06-2007, 01:04 AM
I eat a vegan diet, 75% raw, low fat. ;)

SoulBliss
09-06-2007, 01:29 AM
:) WOW! MamaSam! Finally another vegan!!! :carrot:

You are 75% raw, as in 75% of your daily calories come from raw foods?

How long have you been vegan (or vegetarian)?

ViolinCyndee
10-10-2007, 04:30 AM
I am 99% vegan.. just have my 2 oz of cheese every day, and an occasional slice of pizza for my LAWL Carb Craver. I rarely eat eggs, but if I do, I only buy free-range/organic..

ViolinJenn
10-11-2007, 02:35 PM
Hi Everyone!

I'm new to this place so it's nice to meet you all. :wave:

I'm a lacto-ovo vegetarian for 2 years now. It'll be officially 2 years on Halloween! I went to see the Bodyworlds exhibit in Philly and haven't touched meat since. Yep, I went cold Tofurky!:joker: I don't touch anything with Gellatin either. :nono:

Jenn

SoulBliss
10-19-2007, 01:40 PM
I don't touch anything with Gellatin either. :nono:

Well, I guess you are a vegetarian for real then! :D Welcome! :carrot: :carrot: :carrot:

ViolinCyndee
10-19-2007, 04:22 PM
I agree---NO gelatin!

SoulBliss
10-19-2007, 04:42 PM
We have 2 Violins! :o

SoulBliss
10-19-2007, 04:43 PM
Where's a cello when you need it? ;)

ViolinCyndee
10-19-2007, 08:32 PM
We have 2 Violins! :o

VIOLINS rock!! (btw.. Jenn's my student) :D

Magrat
12-19-2007, 08:09 PM
Right now I'm a semi-vegetarian since I'm still eating poultry and fish occasionally. I gave up red meat two months ago and plan to make the switch to lacto-ovo within the next couple of months.

Don't know if I could ever go fully vegan since I love cheese, but we shall see.

anne kelli
01-02-2008, 05:16 PM
I am an ovo-lacto veg. I have not eaten meat in almost 3 years, but I did eat fish and seafood for about 6 months into it. Sometimes, I really want to eat fish again but I do not struggle with anything else. I do think that too much cheese has contributed to my weight gain this past year. I am trying to be much healthier in my food choices in this new year, as I have realized (with my recent trip to a scale and to purchase new clothes!!) that vegetarian does NOT equal healthy and fit!!

kenfronco
03-09-2008, 10:37 AM
I think I am a Semi-vegetarian.
nice classification , by the way

mesilla
04-05-2008, 05:03 AM
I am vegan, although I just started this new way of life after reading Dr. Furhman's "Eat to Live." I eat mainly fruit, vegetables, tofu and beans and whole grains which I try to keep to max 2 servings per day. I have been losing weight and I feel great. I consider myself vegan 95% of the time because if I am going out for dinner or on vacation I don't make a big fuss whether something I am eating contains eggs, dairy, etc. This works for me because my decision to become vegan was for health reasons rather than moral ones.

Michelle125
04-18-2008, 04:34 PM
I'm about 90% vegan. On the weekends it's hard for me to eat healthy, so my 'treat', rather than something carb-heavy or sugary is fish... LOVE love shellfish. I might have it once a week or so. And occasionally I'll have eggs. but mostly I eat fruits, veggies, legumes, some soy, and vegan healthy fats.

I used to be a junk food vegan, buying all the frozen goodies at WF, like 'vegan pizza bites' and 'mac and chreese', and Tofutti. Omg, ok... even my carnivore DBF LOVES Tofutti.

betsysunqueen
04-18-2008, 06:19 PM
Since veganism is based on the elimination of all animal products from the diet, how can one be 90% vegan?

jasmine987
04-18-2008, 06:40 PM
I was wondering the same thing myself? I think either one is or one isnt vegan or vegetarian.

I am not entirely sure if I should use the title vegan. I eat completely vegan however I do still use leather items I had prior to eliminating animal products from my diet.

I am torn as to wether or not to throw away the items or just use them until they are worn out and replace with non animal products. specifically I am talking about a pair of Dr. Martens I have had for a long time and an wallet I have had for 3 years. I do feel a bit like a hypocrite but do not want to be wasteful either.

betsysunqueen
04-19-2008, 02:11 PM
I've been a vegan since last September and I had the same struggle deciding what to do with my leather items (specifically my Doc Martens and my leather watch strap). I decided to keep using the items because tossing them didn't seem very vegan either! When they wear our, I'll get vegan replacements. My sister gave her leather items away when she became a vegan.

As long as you aren't buying NEW leather stuff, I think you can definitely call yourself a vegan!

SoulBliss
04-19-2008, 03:35 PM
Since veganism is based on the elimination of all animal products from the diet, how can one be 90% vegan?

Veganism is based on the belief and philosophy that involves embracing a cruelty- free lifestyle.

It's pretty clearly defined, really. Vegans don't EVER use animals for their own purposes (food or otherwise) where it can be safely avoided. I state that qualifier, because people often have to take medications that are tested on animals or have some animal ingredients, and these may be needed for survival, when all other alternatives have been exhausted.

Food choices are the area in which free people have much choice. Vegans choose not to consume animal products, at all.

Switzie6
04-21-2008, 05:42 PM
I have heard people say, and I agree, that leather goods you had before you became vegan don't need be thrown away unless you feel strongly about it. Like SoulBliss said being vegan means embracing a cruelty-free lifestyle, what cruely to animals is prevented from you throwing out something you purchased before? None, so unless those leather goods really bother you I agree you should just keep them until the wear out and buy non-animal products to replace them in the future. Or like betsy said her sister did, you can always give them away then you aren't using them but they aren't wasted plus it could save them from purchasing that item in the near future.

SoulBliss
04-21-2008, 07:45 PM
:yes: ^^ Agreed! Why waste something you already purchased or were given prior to veganism? Unless one can afford to donate the item and purchase a vegan one, it is more sensible to keep the thing and use it until it wears out. ;)

scorpio88
05-07-2008, 01:56 PM
I am an Ovo-Lacto Vegetarian. I can't give up eggs and dairy products, tried it, became VERY ill (that's with using replacements like soy milk), so it's more for my health. Plus no animals are killed in the process which makes me feel much better about it.

I get so many people who rag on me for being a Veggie ESPECIALLY family, and the whole, "well why don't you eat seafood, that's not meat" really gets to me. It IS meat, it was living, and that's all that matters. Plus it tastes gross. ;)

Mrs Snark
05-12-2008, 02:24 PM
I am an Ovo-Lacto Vegetarian. I can't give up eggs and dairy products, tried it, became VERY ill (that's with using replacements like soy milk), so it's more for my health. Plus no animals are killed in the process which makes me feel much better about it.

I used to think that no animals were killed in egg/dairy industry, but when I did research I was horrified to find out the truth. I only mention this because you might not know that. :)

nelie
05-12-2008, 02:59 PM
Dairy cows do have a very short lifespan and when they have filled up their usefulness (within a couple years of their life), they are slaughtered for meat. Same goes for chickens. Both also aren't treated very well during their short life. It is a shame. I do think dairy though isn't the best for our health but eggs aren't so bad. Although I gave up dairy/eggs/meat for health reasons, not for animal rights reasons.

It is also possible to avoid soy and give up dairy. I actually eat very little soy and usually it is in the form of tofu or edamame. Again, just FYI. I believe everyone has a choice in the food they eat. Not eating meat is a big step for many so I'm happy for those that can choose that path.

Fat Chick B Gone
05-12-2008, 03:13 PM

I get so many people who rag on me for being a Veggie ESPECIALLY family, and the whole, "well why don't you eat seafood, that's not meat" really gets to me. It IS meat, it was living, and that's all that matters. Plus it tastes gross. ;)

Just wanted to add that I was very much like you with the dairy cows/chickens for eggs for a long time. Even before switching to vegetarian I really thought California was full of "happy cows". I watched a few documentaries and read up on how they're actually treated - quite frankly it's just as bad as those that are slaughtered. It's something you have to decide for yourself and whatever you decide is your decision alone. As far as the health concerns did you talk to a nutritionist about why you were ill with no dairy/eggs? From what I can tell we can replace everything that they provide via other food or even supplements.
Please don't take this as an attack, just something to think about.

miriam101
05-18-2008, 03:35 AM
I'm a lacto-ovo vegetarian. Like it this way - ain't changing a thing!

LittleBigGirl
05-19-2008, 02:17 AM
Ovo-lacto, organic/free range only. It's not so much animal cruelty as I took an environmental biology class and found out the impact farming animals for food has on the environment, particularly greenhouse gases (methane). I don't eat fish (this was hard), it's almost imposible to really know if it was caught in a low impact way, farmed shrimp and other fish are actually as bad or worse for the environment.
Ok I'll get off my :soap:.

SunshineCA
07-20-2008, 01:18 AM
For many years I've fit between these two categories:

Ovo-Lacto
Based on eating grains, vegetables, fruits, legumes, nuts and seeds, eggs and dairy products.

Vegans
Based on grains, vegetables, fruits, legumes, nuts and seeds but eliminates all meat, eggs and dairy.

Many people would never believe I'm a meat eater again. The pregnancy with my 6 year old kicked me back over to the "other side". ;) I knew I was pregnant when I wanted a big juicy steak with a major dose of A-1 sauce. I haven't looked back since.

I'm considering heading back to this lifestyle. Not sure what I want to do just yet. I may be a little in this stage right now:

Semi-vegetarians
This refers to people who eat predominantly vegetarian but will occasionally eat fish, poultry or meat or they may eat mostly vegetarian but will eat fish, there is no real exact description for this term.

I spoke to my DH about transitioning again but he's a true meat and potatoes kind of guy. I may be doing this as a solo act. I'll keep you guys posted.

DaraMarie
08-13-2008, 08:36 PM
Vegan!!!

lointhecity
09-07-2008, 04:30 AM
vegan, dear.

rileyozzy
09-07-2008, 12:19 PM
I am a semi, but my hubby is a strict no meater. I love seafood and just can't give it up, though.

Haley8203
10-30-2008, 06:54 AM
vegan!

Amarantha2
12-13-2008, 11:10 AM
A few months ago I reverted to my "roots" as an ovo-lacto vegetarian, which lifestyle I followed for decades until the year my mother died when for a variety of reasons, I decided to eat meat for a period of time. That period has now ended and so that's my answer to the question lol: ovo lacto

EmmaD
12-15-2008, 04:47 PM
mamakaydee, who I don't even think is on this board any more, summed up what I think (below)... I qualify as "semi" - I am a strict lacto/ovo (free-range/organic when I eat milk & eggs)... BUT I eat fish, and I try to always make good choices about which kinds from here: [OK, I was told I can't post links yet, so if you are interested you will have to search for Monterey Bay Aquarium's seafood watch pages - VERY useful if you are a conscientious fish/shellfish-eater]

My biggest concern is not supporting an industry that I despise - factory farming. Beyond caring about how the animals feel, I just think that consuming some tortured beast just *can't* be good for anyone.

I haven't eaten beef/pork/chicken, etc for more than 20 years - but in principle, I have less concerns about an animal raised and slaughtered humanely (still, it's icky and I have no desire to eat meat) than milk from a high-output dairy or eggs from chickens crammed in small cages.

Ugh - but I married a carnivore. So I am just pushing to pay the big bucks for the organic, free-range meat when we must purchase it ... it's like the universe is testing my convictions!!

Meenamom
12-27-2008, 04:24 PM
Hello all I am new and a new vegetarian- I went Lacto vegetarian right after Thanksgiving= I had previously given up red meat 3years ago and only ate Poultry and Fish- Now I am done with meat.
I met the most beautiful healthy person who had gone Vegan and I want her health and radiance so I am planning on giving up cheese soon...Although I have to admit an addiction to it even though I Have been Lactose intolerant since birth...

JackieRn
12-31-2008, 02:05 PM
Starting today, I am back to being Ovo-lacto. I was a vegetarian for two years but stopped due to iron deficiency anemia. I was the lazy type who ate granola and fruit and wasn't into tofu, veggies, or beans; its a wonder I lasted two years. I am back now with tons of tofu, bean, and veggie foods I enjoy and look forward to getting back to being a vegetarian for the new year. I'm so glad I've made this choice and I'm tracking my macro/micro nutrients to make sure I'm getting enough so no anemia this time.

Sissy2009
01-17-2009, 01:13 AM
Hi. Is anybody here doing vegan right now?

shananigans
01-17-2009, 10:40 AM
There are quite a few vegans around here. Myself included. :)

Sissy2009
01-18-2009, 10:33 PM
Hi Shanaigans! "Powered by tofu" lol that is so funny!

Nice to meet you.

kitten
01-22-2009, 06:54 PM
hi
im happy to see other vegetarians here! i have been vegetarian for over 30 years. so thats effortless for me now. as a kid, i hid meat in napkins and fed pets under the table. i never liked it.
i have been struggling to go vegan for a year now. much of the year i have avoided milk products (which was the only animal product in my diet AND im allergic.) cheese has really been my downfall. i like pizza, taco bell and grilled cheese sandwiches.

we visited DC last summer and i was thrilled to be able to get a pizza with soy cheese in a restaurant. thats unheard of where i live!

i have been married 11 years and originally, my husband was also a long time vegetarian. a few years ago when the fish studies came out, he began eating fish. i hate the smell of it. now when we walk by fishtanks i ask him if he is getting hungry. lol. thats bad. i usually dont preach to anyone. but now i wish the vegetarianism had been in our wedding vows.
;)

when i go off the deep end, i live on things like soda and chips and brownies!
when im in control, i dont even have any sugar in the house. i only use agave nectar and chocolate sweetened with grains. im so much happier that was, but stress and conflict will have me driving out to get high carb foods at all hours.

i would really value any advice about how to manage that!:?:
im currently out of control!
thanks!
kitten

nelie
01-22-2009, 08:21 PM
Welcome kitten.

Regarding cheese, it used to be one of my most favorite things but I haven't had it in over a year and I don't miss it at all. You can still have bean burritos from taco bell :) I eat cheeseless pizza sometimes and avocado/hummus sandwiches are better than any grilled cheese.

foodieUS
01-23-2009, 04:53 AM
Well, I am a vegan by birth.
Nice to meet you all vegans.

Fat Chick B Gone
01-23-2009, 08:41 AM
Ohh so jealous foodieUS!!

nelie
01-23-2009, 10:25 AM
I'm jealous too, i'd love to be vegan by birth :)

Leontina
01-13-2010, 11:43 AM
I'm on my way to being vegan. I generally eat vegan food - I don't eat any eggs or dairy directly anymore, but I have food I've already bought before hand which have eggs and/or milk as part of the ingredients, so I'm still eating them purely so the food doesn't go to waste, however from now on I check the ingredients when I buy food. It's a bit of a pain but I've only been shopping once since attempting the change so I'm hoping I'll get more used to it.

nelie
01-13-2010, 11:52 AM
Leontina - it gets easier and focuses on whole foods does help some because you really don't have to ask if that bunch of kale has any animal products or that bag of beans.

You can strive for perfection in avoiding the animal products but my advice would be to not beat yourself up. I've bought things before (Trader Joe's veggie italian sausages I'm looking at you), read the label, twice and still somehow missed a hidden ingredient that I didn't want. It happens less and less as time goes on and honestly, it is one reason that I will put an item back if it has too many ingredients in it. Overall, the less ingredients the better, the less processed the ingredients the better but mistakes may happen.

FitChick89
02-28-2010, 08:27 PM
lacto-ovo

I used to be vegan but ventured back to greek yogurt and egg whites

Airforcechick07
05-04-2010, 09:02 AM
I am a vegetarian by birth...... for some reason never liked the flavor of any meat, milk, or eggs...that said I will eat breads and other items with milk and eggs in it. Its a flavor issue for me...which is awesome cause I dont have the tempation to eat meat I simply just dont like it!!! : )

HopefulandHappy
05-13-2010, 01:43 AM
I'm a flexatarian though am naturally evolving more to pescatarian without so much conscious thought. Though I lean toward vegetarian very easily and may end up there. And I'm not really worried about it one way or the other. I do believe its good to eat lower on the food chain for the most part for environmental reasons.

MeganTheMushroom
06-22-2010, 12:40 PM
ovo-lacto, wish I was a vegan- hopefully will be on before I graduate high school (my mom wont let me right now :()

hippy27
06-22-2010, 01:33 PM
vegan all the way! I couldn`t do it otherwise. I progressively moved from lacto-ovo to vegan, but I`m never going back. Although I`m hardcore, no honey, leather, wool, beeswax, silk, etc. :)

girlieyorkie
06-22-2010, 05:19 PM
lacto-ovo, altho' I try to eat vegan most of the time.

bama girl
06-23-2010, 01:19 PM
I'm still a new veggie, so I'm still trying to phase out some stuff. I've cut out meat and eggs (unless they are hidden in one of my foods), but I still eat some dairy. To be honest, I am probably not entirely vegetarian, because I'm still learning to read ingredients and pay attention to what might be in my food-- I have probably eaten some meat flavorings, etc without realizing it.

Passionista
06-29-2010, 10:20 AM
vegan all the way! I couldn`t do it otherwise. I progressively moved from lacto-ovo to vegan, but I`m never going back. Although I`m hardcore, no honey, leather, wool, beeswax, silk, etc. :)

Hardcore? Not really, just actually truly *vegan*! :carrot: Kudos to you for walking the walk. ;)

GeekGirl317
08-28-2010, 11:19 PM
I'm and ovo-lacto/pesco vegetarian. I mostly maintain the ovo-lacto-vegetarian lifestyle, but eat fish a couple of times a month (usually when I eat out w/ friends because in a lot of the chain restaurants the only vegetarian choices are pasta or pizza).

luvs_violets
09-25-2010, 06:56 AM
Hi I have been reading thee stories but can't understand it . Cant you be vegertarian and eat eggs and drink milk? I thought it was not eating the flesh of animals? Well pls tell me? Violet47

KenzideRhae
10-21-2010, 04:33 PM
Hi I have been reading thee stories but can't understand it . Cant you be vegertarian and eat eggs and drink milk? I thought it was not eating the flesh of animals? Well pls tell me? Violet47

A vegetarian who eats eggs and dairy is an ovo-lacto-vegetarian. So yes, you can be vegetarian and still eat eggs and dairy products.

Answering the question of this topic, that's what I am, an ovo-lacto-vegetarian. I went through a period where I was a pescetarian (a pesce-vegetarian, as some of you call it, somebody who still eats fish), but I don't eat fish anymore. :)

VegDay
04-20-2011, 08:32 PM
Gratefully vegan. 5+ years.

Morethananumber
04-20-2011, 08:39 PM
Im not sure exactly what kind i am? I dont eat eggs and I cant really have dairy. (ill have chocolate milk and maybe some cheese (sliced and shredded). The only meat ill eat is Chicken. Except today, i had a hamburger, but it was my first in a very long time and im not switching to meat any time soon!

Astrild
05-03-2011, 04:03 PM
I started out a pretty strict vegan (checking labels on shampoo, etc.) Then devolved into a much more relaxed one, not minding if a label said "contains milk & eggs" so long as it wasn't blatantly a dairy product. I figured it's not an ideal world, and it's not really my fault everything has dairy or eggs in it. Now I'm probably more of a part-time vegetarian, part vegan. I will very seldom have eggs or something with dairy on it, but that's not really the basis of my diet, and I tend to avoid it. I guess I'm just really relaxed, but still don't really like animal products. Does that make me a veg*n? Or is that not really a label?

Esofia
05-25-2011, 03:08 PM
I think veg*n is an umbrella term used for groups rather than individuals, like LGBT. I'd just call you a vegetarian who doesn't eat dairy and eggs that often. There's no particular reason why we have to label ourselves that accurately for other people's curiosity, you know!

Vegetarian since age 11, vegan since age 19. Although you may not consider me to be properly vegan for the first two years, as I ate honey during that time. Once I realised that the honey industry causes cruelty and death just as the dairy and egg industries do, I stopped the honey as well.

NewGirl24
05-31-2011, 06:17 PM
I'm vegan for all things diet; lifestyle-wise, I'm not vegan yet, but I'm working towards it.

Blitz2726
12-18-2011, 01:11 PM
I've been a vegetarian since I was in 7th grade and while it might have started out as a dare from my best friend, I became aware of how my diet has impacts not only on my weight, but on my family, community, and the environment. It's probably been the best decision I have ever made :)

DocAuD
01-06-2012, 01:43 AM
ova-lacto plus fish. not really semi-vegetarian since I do not touch other animal products. thought about giving up fish a few times... but struggle to get enough protein without it.

alexa007
01-19-2012, 03:11 AM
I am Ovo-Lacto...

VioletDolphin83
04-08-2012, 08:57 PM
I'm ovo-lacto-vegetarian. I hope to one day be an ovo-vegetarian.

blackbutterfly
04-10-2012, 12:57 AM
Ovo-Lacto

Laifierr
04-17-2012, 09:48 PM
I just switched to being vegan. I used to be vegetarian for a while, then quit, now switched entirely to vegan. I try not to eat anything prepackaged or processed. I'm not a strict vegan yet but I'm sure with time I will be.

Dustycat73
12-06-2012, 05:03 PM
I am been vegan on and off for years. I want to make that committment but it is hard. I recently go diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. I am trying to follow "Dr. Neal Barnard's Program for Reversing Diabetes". I need alot soppurt I hope to get here.

McMurphy
12-15-2012, 03:14 PM
I am a lacto-ovo

As far as ethics are concerned, what is the point of semi-vegetarianism?

TripSwitch
12-17-2012, 01:05 AM
I am a lacto-ovo

As far as ethics are concerned, what is the point of semi-vegetarianism?

Well I guess that depends on your ethics... Some would argue that by simply reducing meat consumption it would have positive effects on the environment and in reducing world hunger, as well as ultimately reducing the number of animals raised for human consumption... So the less meat that people eat, even if those people aren't vegetarians... the better it is for the animals and the planet as well... :)

Nerdlass
02-03-2013, 01:37 AM
I'm new here. I've been an omnivore since I can remember. There was about a decade of my life where I didn't eat mammalian meat (more for change in taste than anything else). Even as recently as a few months ago, I've had a bad experience with tasting meat (on occassion), but I love cheese!

A few weeks ago, my mother told me about "The End of Diabetes" by Dr. Joel Fuhrman, author of "Eat to Live." I learned about nutritarianism and have since adopted the fundamentals of the diet. I'm currently working through Phase I, which is vegan in basis. Phase II allows for some meat (if desired) but not much, more as a condiment. Were I in the US, I'd be more apt to go full-on vegan for this, but I've discovered living abroad in a place where bacon and mayo are not seen as coming from animals, it is nearly impossible to do. Thankfully, I can pick the bacon out... but as of today's lunch, there was a little mayo in the cabbage salad I ordered, even after requesting it to be left out. :/

That said, I've lost 2 kg in the first week of this new way of eating. My blood sugars have been better than ever, and my blood pressure is dropping as well.

I look forward to learning what I can from you all. Please be patient with me, as this is my first post on 3Chicks. :) :carrot:

littlefatcat
07-05-2013, 04:00 PM
Hi, all

I am new to this site. I am currently a semi-vegetarian who is married to a vegan. I've been cooking vegan for about 10 years. My husband is doing great! He's been down to his ideal weight since he started eating this way. I've got about 60 lbs to lose. My weight is causing a lot of health issues. I am a snacker...snacking on the wrong things. I have recently started eating red meat occasionally (only when we eat out) because I have severe iron deficiency anemia. Having some tests done next week to try and figure out why I'm anemic. Hope to find some supportive veggie folks here as we'll as the occasional new recipe!

PostWeddingsmallsize
08-06-2013, 03:29 AM
I'm a pesceterian I was full on veggie but decided life was too short to not eat seafood which I enjoy.

purpleorchid
08-09-2013, 12:15 PM
I'm a new lacto ovo vegetarian. Best thing I have decided to do in a long time. I feel so much better since I've stopped eating meat :)

MauiKai
08-10-2013, 10:38 PM
I'm a semi-veggie. I don't eat much meat, but I do have fish about once a week. I also have the occasional dairy. Considering where I live, it would be sacrilegious to eschew all dairy Hahaha!

Penguin483
08-21-2013, 06:05 PM
Hi peeps!

I am a fairly strict vegan. I started eating a vegan diet a year and a half ago mainly because I really enjoy eating rice and vegetables (although I used to <3 having two fried eggs on top!). I am in line with all the ethical concerns and find that the longer I am vegan the less I want to even be around meat. That being said, people stopping being a vegan all the time so....

There are some things that I will eat such as on some packaged foods it might say it may contain dairy. Most of the time I wouldn't but sometimes I will. Also, if I go to someone else's house I am not going to make a fuss. I wouldn't eat a slab of meat but I might eat something that has milk or eggs in it.

At any rate, when I started eating this way I initially lost weight...55 lbs. But after six months I think I realized you can binge on vegan food just as easily as any other. Now, a year later, I am counting calories on my vegan food and no big surprise, the weight is coming off again.
Glad to find this forum! There is a wealth of information and support.

PrincessKLS
10-17-2013, 03:31 PM
I've recently became semi vegetarian but striving to go to ovo-lacto and then maybe further. Really my issue is giving up proccessed junk food. I also want to try to eat more naturally too.

friaya
12-13-2013, 11:11 PM
I'm new to be ovolactovegeterian, but I just consume yogurt and once in a while chesse, also I don't use eggs everyday, mostly like 2 eggs per week

catinair
01-15-2014, 02:31 AM
Ovo-Lacto

I have been a vegetarian for around 5 years now and I will never go back to eating meat. So glad to see so many people like me. :)

jmh6251
05-07-2014, 08:27 PM
I guess I am Vegan. Milk and Cheese are not my friends. My Arthritis kicks up if I eat anything remotely related to animal products. Can't do Whey Protein. So I didn't choose to be Vegan, It chose me.:?::?:

PrincessKLS
09-25-2014, 05:17 PM
I'm new to be ovolactovegeterian, but I just consume yogurt and once in a while chesse, also I don't use eggs everyday, mostly like 2 eggs per week

What do you drink for a milk supplement? Anyway, I'm a bit on the fence, I don't eat my white meat and fish everyday but I have maybe considered a flexitarian diet where I eat basically any type of meat I want but very rarely but last time I tried to be a veggie. I was an ovo-lacto veggie for 13 months and when I decided to go back to meat I went overboard. I don't know what to do about my diet, I still struggle with getting enough fruit and veggies and too much dairy and junk food problems. I don't know what to do.