Food Talk And Fabulous Finds - Tea, glorious tea!

View Full Version : Tea, glorious tea!

mauvaisroux
08-06-2004, 03:50 PM
Tea is one of my favourite drinks. :coffee:

I find it a nice boost in the afternoon at work and having a nice cup of chamomile tea 1/2 hour before bed helps me to fall asleep at night. Here are some of my favorites

Celestial Seasonings:

Sugar Plum Fairy- slightly sweet so I don't take sugar with it
Ginger bread -mmmmm Christmas in a cup :T
Cammomile
Sleepytime tea
Morning Thunder
Peppermint- I drink this when I have an upset stomach

Tetley:
Echinacea
Gingseng and lemon
Decaf Green tea
Decaf Earl Grey

Yogi Tea:
Chai
Bedtime tea

Lyria
08-07-2004, 01:21 AM
Tea is one of my favorites as well...guess having tea-sculling parents will do that to you. When i go home on my Uni breaks mum and I sit around drinking cups of tea allll day long. Ahhh...so relaxing!

However i have to have good ol' black tea, dash of milk, hold the sugar!

Coffee is my on the go drink...tea is for savouring!

Jennifer 3FC
09-27-2004, 01:35 AM
Celestial Seasonings Madagascar Red Vanilla tea is my absolute favorite ever. Yummm!

Kaylets
09-28-2004, 03:02 PM
Everytime I think I 've found my absolute favorite tea, I find another...
Am really enjoying finding new favorites as well as enjoying the old favorites...
Kettle is boiling right now!

KO
10-04-2004, 09:25 AM
I love Lemon and Ginger from Twinings.. . preferably with a few teddy grahams ;)
And from when I lived in Ireland my favorite "regular" tea is Lyons with a little milk and sugar
Mauvaisroux What is Morning Thunder? Is it kind of a pick me up tea?

laura_on_a_bike
10-05-2004, 11:33 AM
mmmmmmmmm i love tea as well and it is getting to be the perfect tea drinking weather. right now i am on a mint tea and green tea kick. green tea with mint, green tea with ginger, green tea with mate ( one of my fav's). i've also been chugging throat coat, echinacea plus and cold care tea because i feel a bug coming on.i drink tea all year around but i appreciate it so much more when it starts getting cold outside.

Goddess Jessica
10-11-2004, 01:41 AM
I love tea. When I went to England, I was just taken with the idea of "tea time." (Some of you remember, I'm sure). Thanks for the reminder. I've been so busy, I forgot how much fun it is.

Like Lyria, I love a good black tea. One of my favorite is Awake from Tazo. I also love English Breakfast Tea. I take it with cream and sugar and enjoy every sip of it (especially when running around England on a blustery day).

I also love Thai tea, Chai tea and any tea served in a Chinese Restaurant... of course, I bought a tea from the Chinese Market called Chinese Restaurant Tea and it tasted nothing like it.

I prefer my tea loose (as opposed to in bags) and love tea cups.... although I own only one and it's a Chinese tea cup that has a lid so your tea doesn't get cold.

Oh, yes... and I hate coffee. :)

SkinnyBoPeep
10-11-2004, 01:53 AM
I love Chai tea with milk and Splenda! It smells/tastes like pumpkin pie with none of the guilt...

Jennifer 3FC
10-11-2004, 10:19 AM
Speaking of Chinese restaurant tea, I had some iced tea at one that tasted like oranges. Just a hint, and soooooo good! They're out of business now or I'd ask. Anybody know what kind it is?

Goddess Jessica
10-11-2004, 08:31 PM
Orange Pekoe, maybe?

I found this site last night and fell in love with it: http://www.enjoyingtea.com/index.html

laura_on_a_bike
10-12-2004, 01:47 PM
Speaking of Chinese restaurant tea, I had some iced tea at one that tasted like oranges. Just a hint, and soooooo good! They're out of business now or I'd ask. Anybody know what kind it is?

constant comment is a tea served in chinese restraunts that has a hint of orange as well *** a little spice in it. it is goooooooood. you can get it in the grocery store.

Goddess Jessica
10-12-2004, 05:40 PM
I'd like some "well ***." :lol:

KO
10-14-2004, 12:29 AM
:devil: you're not alone there!

Mamacita
10-17-2004, 09:11 AM
Interesting thread on tea. I'm a tea drinker, too. Currently I'm drinking decaf Typhoo. It's not bad. Doesn't strip the tastebuds off your tongue like some.

It sure hurts to pass on the scones and clotted cream, though. :T :cry:

Mamacita

Goddess Jessica
10-17-2004, 08:47 PM
Mamacita - I love clotted cream and scones. It is a sad world that I can't have them! Sigh. I do buy a pria bar (110 calories) and save it with my tea so I can feel like I'm having some yummy sweet thing with my tea.

There is this one kind from Stash that's Caramel Creme Decaf. I swear I don't know how they've done it but if you add a splash of fat free milk and some splenda, it taste like there's caramel in your tea. Dear god it's good.

POOKIE88
10-24-2004, 01:12 PM
Jessica, I will watch for that Caramel Creme Decaf.

I also like Bigelow Vanilla Caramel.

It makes me feel like I am having dessert.

Jennifer. I remember you mentioning that Madagascar Red Vanilla before but they never seem to have that flavor in my stores. But I will keep looking.

A good cup of tea really "hits the spot" :coffee: --Pookie

Jennifer 3FC
10-24-2004, 07:57 PM
Pookie, I can only find it at the health food store for some reason!

Jessica, where you do you buy Stash at? Regular store, or specialty store?

Goddess Jessica
10-25-2004, 03:05 AM
Jennifer - I buy it at my regular old grocery store (Ralph's). They also have it on-line here: http://www.stashtea.com/ I may have to buy it online since last time I went to Ralph's they didn't have that particular flavor.

Jennifer 3FC
10-25-2004, 11:49 PM
Thanks, Jessica! Right now I'm drinking a lot of tea. I'm fighting a nasty marshmallow addiction. It wasn't bad when it was 20-40 calories a night, but now I'm eating 80-100 calories so I asked my husband to hide them. I had my yummy red vanilla tea tonight, and it suprisingly hit the spot. Whooda thought getting that marshmallow monkey off my back would be so easy!?

viviki
12-20-2004, 04:51 PM
I love green tea, and lemon and ginger, and peppermint. MMMM tea.

mauvaisroux
12-31-2004, 12:03 PM
Oh my! I just tried the Rooibos tea! Delicious! :T

I bought the President's Choice brand from Loblaws.

Fitchick
01-03-2005, 12:00 PM
Just wanted to jump in here - I adore tea! Unfortunately, my body doesn't like herbal teas very well (my stomach gets very upset when I drink herbal). Are any of the teas you guys recommend black teas?

I like flavored black teas like Lipton raspberry but I haven't tried many others.

Thanks in advance,
Jocelyn :)

mauvaisroux
01-03-2005, 04:07 PM
I like the Earl Grey decaf from Tetley Tea.

trishajean
01-04-2005, 07:14 AM
I've been converted from a caffiene ~a~holic to a tea~a~holic ~( herbal decafs of course~

I start my morning with Dove's Detox then move on into quiet comfort, cinnilla moon or fairy tale~which has a hint of chocolate~ yummmmmmm

I too can banish sweets with tea, there are so many good tea blends out there but I prefer herbal blends :coffee:

laura_on_a_bike
01-04-2005, 11:20 AM
i have a question about tea for you. i drink sleepy time tea with valerian root at night sometimes to help me sleep. i have noticed that it makes it extremely difficult to get up in the morning. does anyone else drink this tea? does anyone else expirience this. if so, how do you enjoy the nice nights sleep without hibernating into the day?

ps. i am reading a book on super foods. it names 14 super foods that should be a constant in your diet and green and black tea are one fo them. i got a green white blend yesterday that is just fantastic.

trishajean
01-04-2005, 11:49 AM
Valerian Root

Categories: Nervous System

Symptom: Sleeplessness/Insomnia, Anxiety, Fatigue, Nervousness, Stress, Ulcers, Menstrual Cramps, Muscle Cramps, Pain, Spasms, High Blood Pressure

Valerian (Nervous) has been used as a sleep aid for over 1,000 years. Its ability to help relax the central nervous system, promote feelings of calm, decrease levels of anxiety and stress, and enhance sleep are known to millions the world over.

Unlike some prescription sleep aids, valerian is not known to cause morning grogginess and is non-addictive. Each chlorophyll-coated tablet of Nature's Sunshine Time-Release Valerian contains 500 mg of the finest valerian root extract, concentrated and standardized to 0.8 percent valerenic acid. Time-release technology offers a steady release of valerian for 6-8 hours, ensuring better, more restful sleep.

The recommended dosage for Valerian Root is one capsule with meals twice daily. Take 1-2 Time-Release Valerian approximately one hour before bedtime.

viviki
01-05-2005, 04:43 PM
I found valerian made me groggy in the mornings too I used to take it in a tablet supplement but found that it upset my stomach so I don't now.

laura_on_a_bike
01-06-2005, 09:42 AM
i tried drinking half a cup last night and i wasn't nearly as groggy this morning. looks like viviki and i might be the exceptions to the "is not known to cause morning grogginess".

mauvaisroux
01-06-2005, 10:07 AM
Nope - it makes me groggy too :yawn:

viviki
01-06-2005, 10:47 AM
I found that the tea made me really groggy. The tablets didnt make me feel as bad although I was still groggy but they upset my stomach too.
Mint tea works for me as a sleep aid.

viviki
01-06-2005, 10:49 AM
Just wanted to jump in here - I adore tea! Unfortunately, my body doesn't like herbal teas very well (my stomach gets very upset when I drink herbal). Are any of the teas you guys recommend black teas?

I like flavored black teas like Lipton raspberry but I haven't tried many others.

Thanks in advance,
Jocelyn :)

Try using lemon and ginger tea, the ginger is supposed to settle your stomach so it shouldn't upset it as much as normal herbal tea would and its spicy and yummy.

laura_on_a_bike
01-06-2005, 11:52 AM
I found that the tea made me really groggy. The tablets didnt make me feel as bad although I was still groggy but they upset my stomach too.
Mint tea works for me as a sleep aid.

the normal sleepy time that just has mint and chamomile in it never made me groggy. guess i need to stay away from valerian root. i love mint tea.

Morrganna
01-24-2005, 09:49 PM
I have valarian growing in my garden, but haven't ever harvested the roots. I have a bad cold and everything tastes like tin, I think I'll go into the kitchen and make a cup of herbal tea...

Giasbash6260
03-13-2005, 06:13 PM
SLEEPY TIME TEA and all teas with camomile, spiriment and peppermint in it are WONDERFUL if you have trouble sleeping at night, plus if you are easliy bloated....they are amazing at helping aid you through that too!!!! **TAKE MY WORD FOR IT!!**

Elanajel
03-28-2005, 07:56 PM
:coffee:
I've been reading a lot lately about the antioxidant/health benefits of white tea (also that it has fluoride, etc.)

Does anyone drink it? What is it like?

Jennifer 3FC
03-28-2005, 10:44 PM
I have some white tea by Revolution. It's mild, I like it. I don't know anything about fluoride in it. That's the first I've heard of fluoride in tea!

Flower Fan 86
04-29-2005, 11:33 AM
Jessica
Thank you for the Stash web site! I ordered a catalog.

I am sipping on a cup of orange spice right now.
My 13 year old daughter is a big tea drinker as well. Her favorite is the Lipton Ginger Twist. She has a cup of it after school every day.

mauvaisroux
04-29-2005, 02:39 PM
I like some of the teas that Starbucks sells too, especially the chai and the Zen ones :T

Blessed and Free
05-18-2005, 05:26 PM
I've been drinking about 10 oz a day of chilled Green Tea mixed with Peach Tea - so yummy!
(Steep 5 bags of Green Tea with 2 bags of Peach Tea for 1/2 hour in Hot water, pull out bags and let cool then put in fridge).
I'm also a big fan of Trader Joe's Chai as well.

MaggieShines
11-30-2005, 01:12 PM
Since the weather is (finally) getting colder here in Philadelphia, I'll bump this tea thread up to the top. I've gotten hooked on Celestial Seasonings Honey Vanilla Camomile tea on cool nights. When I need a nosh to go with, I have Mis Meringue cookies. Four of the regular-sized ones are just 2 WW points; 13 of the minis are 2 points. I don't do WW anymore, but I know that if it only has 2 points, it's a good low-cal treat. I also have been drinking Yogi Tea's Detox Tea; it really helps me feel lighter and "cleaner." And it doesn't have any strong diuretic or laxative effects. As for bottle teas, I love the Honest Tea two mint kinds. Stash's Licorice Tea is also a favorite, but I haven't had it in a while.

Nepeta
12-06-2005, 10:02 PM

from my experience, most chinese restaurant tea is oolong tea, you can buy it in almost any supermarket. I'm not sure if they have orange varieties though, you might want to try a specialty store, or next time I'm in my local oriental $.98 store I'll take a look see.

remiteas
12-28-2005, 10:23 PM
look up chamomile tea,catnip tea or just putting a few drops of lavender oil on your pillow at night to fall asleep.the red vanilla tea was probably rooibos tea with vanilla flavoring added. honeybush tea is sweeter than rooibos.

remiteas
12-29-2005, 08:26 AM
White tea is the highest for antioxidants while having alot less fluoride in it and it taste nice. You always use white tea three times. Look into yerba mate tea also. It helps with dieting while very high in nutrients and gives you a nice wake me up.

katgurl76
01-05-2006, 11:37 PM
Oooohhh yay!! A tea thread! I adore tea. Really any hot beverage but tea is sssooo relaxing to me. My current fav is Vanilla Almond. I actually had a sample of it at my fav kitchen store by Republic of Tea. Wonderful as it is, I cannot afford, but my boss turned me on to Bigelow's Vanilla Almond. Very good...very mellow and light flavor. They also have a Vanilla Cherry that is outstanding. For everyday I like English Breakfast.

I think a lot of people overlook the medicinal uses of tea, so I was really excited to see this thread and all the good info being traded. In addition to being soothing, chamomille works wonders on body aches/cramps. Also I am prone to getting feve blisters when I am stressing. My grandmother would have me put a hot Earl Grey teabag on my lip and the next day the blister would be gone! It looks silly, and I get some strange looks but it works!!

Does anyone have a good green tea to try out? I have tried green iced tea and didn't like it at all. Any ideas for a hot one?

mauvaisroux
01-08-2006, 01:00 PM
Tetley tee has a nice green one - not sure if it is available in the U.S. They also have Echinacea tea.

I enjoy the Celestial Seasonings too.

Jennifer 3FC
01-17-2006, 12:29 AM
I like Cocomint Green Tea by Adagio.com - Yum!

bb743
01-17-2006, 08:44 AM
Hi Jennifer,
I love green tea, but I have never heard of cocomint green tea. Do you purchase it at a special store or just your regular grocery store, k-mart, wal-mart, etc?

mauvaisroux
04-21-2006, 11:36 AM
Just tried the Tetley brand chai tea bags -very yummy! :T
I also like their peppermint flavour and the Rooibos Vanilla though it is a bit sweet.

ckatgo
05-07-2006, 10:37 AM
I have not read the whole thread, so I apologize for any oops I may make..

I LOVE tea, all kinds of tea..adiago is the best! the customer service is wonderful! I have been hoarding some of their pumpkin spice from christmas time! For my "work tea" I take Celestrial seasonings vanilla maple..and republic of teas white teas...love the stuff...

teatree
05-07-2006, 08:05 PM
I have begun to drink tea, and I really like it! I'm interested in trying some varieties of Celestial Seasons, a brand I know I can find at the stores I go to. I'm thinking of trying their English Toffee Dessert Tea, Lemon Zinger, and Gingerbread (but that's probably out of season).

Moo :)
05-08-2006, 07:34 AM
I was always a big tea drinker but since giving up Smoking on Friday :carrot: , I'm drinking even more :D , I'm am work at the moment and someone here drinks herbal teas by the bucketful, I'm going to go and mug them for a few tea bags :D .

San*_*
05-08-2006, 10:33 AM
I love twinings earl grey tea so so much. I can have the most rubbish morning, too late studying, too much drinking or whatever, but gimme two cuppas of good ole earl and I'm as good as new. Miracle potion. Also vanilla tea is really nice, but not in the morning, more for general chilling.

mauvaisroux
05-08-2006, 01:27 PM
Teatree - I have some Sugar Plum and some Gingerbread leftover from Christmas. Both are good but I liked the Gingerbread one best :)

ckatgo - Vanilla maple sounds delish! I will have to see if I can find it here.

One of my favorites to drink at work is the Celestial Seasonings Tension Tamer - I bought my first box because of the packaging. It has a lovely print of a princess sitting on top of a dragon - I love dragons! The tea was lovely too! :lol:

kykaree
05-08-2006, 01:51 PM
I've been drinking Yogitea spice blends, they are divine, and caffeine free. I have tried Licorice, Sweet Chai, Sweet Chili, and Choco. I highly recommend them. For you Brits, Holland and Barratt stock them.

I love Celestial Seasonings, but I have yet to find a store in the UK that stocks anything other than the very basic range. The boxes are really pretty, which is what first attracted me to the Yogitea, I am so shallow!

For normal tea, I love Yorkshire Tea, again I was first attracted by the gorgeous box!

lipidful
05-08-2006, 03:54 PM
Bigelow Vanilla Hazelnut and Vanilla Caramel are so divine and if you like a little sweetness, just a packet of Splenda will do it. These teas are SOOOOO good! I already stocked up. I found some in Christmas Tree Shop, but I noticed the Caramel one in my local supermarket, too. SOOOO GOOD

Tani
05-08-2006, 04:52 PM
Since this lovely tea thread has popped up again...

I most highly recommend the Republic of Tea's new "Pink Lady" (green tea with apple). It's one of their sip for the cure blends. Hopefully it will stick around and isn't just for a limited time because it's divine. For those with a sweet tooth, the addition of a 1/2 shot of vanilla syrup makes this tea very reminicent of apple pie. :)

mauvaisroux
05-11-2006, 01:36 PM
Mmmm....that sounds yummy Tani!

I like the yogiteas too - I use the bedtime tea if I am having trouble sleeping.

teatree
05-12-2006, 09:59 PM
Mm, I had a nice cup of tea today. But I've really been searching for a sweet tea. Does anyone know of a good, tasty tea that's naturally sweet?

ckatgo
05-13-2006, 06:00 PM
I love the yogi tea blends...the coco is my fav, particularly in the winter.

For sweet tea republic of tea used to have (I don't know if they are still selling it, but I still have some....) is the pomgrante green..taste like kool aid.

ckatgo
05-13-2006, 06:02 PM
M - sorry can't spell your whole name...LOL....I love the tension tamer, I drink that before bed sometimes when I can't get to sleep....

penpal
05-13-2006, 11:03 PM
My favorite teas are:

Twinings Prince of Wales Tea (with breakfast)
Twinings Earl Gray or Lady Gray (a bit stronger bergamot flavor)
Celestial Seasonings Rooibos with Madagascar Vanilla (lots of antioxidants)
Trader Joe's Honey Bush tea (herbal tea from Africa - naturally sweet)
Chamomile Tea (when I'm stressed or can't sleep) :coffee: