PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 08-04-2004, 02:08 PM   #1  

Default Recently diagnosed w/PCOS

Hey everyone! I have been gone from 3FC for a long time. I was recently diagnosed with PCOS and have even had a bit of a relapse of a mild seizure disorder which I recently learned are related to each other. Anyway, I remebered that 3FC had a section devoted to PCOS and was excited to get back on here and get info/talk to other PCOS patients.
I am curious, I know that weight loss obviously helps with PCOS symptoms, what programs/diets do you recommend. I was formerly a devoted WW member, but alas, money is tight. THough I could still follow it since I have my materials.

KiraR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 03:08 PM   #2  
Rattie Lover

Welcome, KiraR!!

Glad to see you here!!

I follow my own program. I try to eat healthy foods, lottsa fresh fruit and veggies, lottsa water, lean meats, wheat breads, and some sort of exercise. So far, so good...I've lost 50 pounds. I am not one to follow any one particular diet...like Atkins or South Beach or anything so I couldn't recommend one for you. I've heard great things about Weight Watchers, so that might be something good for you especially since you are already familiar with it.

Feel free to join us in our monthly chat area!! We'd love to have you.
Just click on the link below to get there...

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44341
Noodles913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 03:15 PM   #3  

Thanks for the welcome. I have been thinking about doing exactly what you seem to be doing. I just can't think of any one 'program' that really fits my needs right now. Thanks again and I look forward to checking out the chat area.
KiraR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 04:33 PM   #4  
Swimming Mouse

I also don't follow a specific program. I don't eat very much, and never did. When I'm a pig, I still don't go over 2000 calories.
But anyway, I eat lots of salad and fresh vegetables and fresh fruit. I don't buy full sugar brands of anything, but that's hard because I can't have nutrasweet. I don't do low carb, but buy lots of the low carb products because those products use splenda. I try not to eat white bread, have way cut down on rice or pasta, and potatoes.
I buy whole wheat sourdough or rye bread; its meant buying more expensive bread because I can't stand commercial wheat...
I do pretty well in terms of the diet, honestly. I just wish I'd lose weight.
Anonymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 11:17 AM   #5  

I do atkins.. I have been for almost 2months and ihave lost 30lbs and 24inches or more havent checked inches for awhile. But i feel great! I have messed around a bit with atkins. Like i am staying in the induction limit amount of carbs BUT i am eating things that arent aloud in induction.

For 2days now i have been doing a meat and egg fast which is just to kinda get me outta a stall maybe we will see.
I think anything you can do to limit your intake of carbs with pcos helps in weight loss for us.
jdreams76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 11:48 AM   #6  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I also have PCOS but I haven't posted in this forum before. I started my own thing 3 months ago and lost 22 lbs doing that and it was basically eating veggies and lean meats (with an occassional fatty meat thrown in) and limiting my carbs greatly. I also exercise 5-6 times a week.

Last week, I started the South Beach Diet though because I wanted to get away from my reliance on processed foods and I think it is something I am going to stick with for now. I have lost 10 lbs so far. I have also given up all beverages except water because I was relying heavily on diet sodas. I think this has also been beneficial to me.

I would definitely recommend limiting your carbs in some way, even if you follow WW. Your body will respond better without too many carbs messing with your insulin.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 04:04 PM   #7  
Rattie Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie
I also have PCOS but I haven't posted in this forum before.
Welcome, Nelie & Jdreams76!!

Now that you two are here, feel free to join us there...in our monthly chat thread!! Everyone is welcome!! Just click on the link below to get there...the more PCOS'ers we have bond together, the better.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44341
Noodles913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 05:29 PM   #8  
Swimming Mouse

Atkins made me really sick, and I gained weight doing it. I do way better with low-calorie and low-fat, but I don't lose much weight. I also exercise 5-6 times a week, except that I haven't been able to the last week because I swim... and my cat bit my hand, so I have an open wound.
Anonymouse is offline   Reply With Quote