General Diet Plans and Questions - Eating For Life / Body For Life August 2004

ledom
08-03-2004, 09:43 AM
Happy August! For those of you not familiar with these programs, here's some general info:

Helpful links:
Chat with Bill Philips on WebMD about the EFL plan (http://my.webmd.com/content/article/79/96131.htm?lastselectedguid={5FE84E90-BC77-4056-A91C-9531713CA348})
Eating for Life official site (http://www.eatingforlife.com) which includes sample recipes and program basics. Make sure you read the Q&A.

EFL Basics:
You eat 6 times a day. This is generally small balanced meals including breakfast, lunch, dinner, two snacks (which usually are a meal replacement bar or shake, or a nutrition shake from book recipes) and a healthy dessert. You can enjoy fruits, breads, etc, and it can be adapted to fit a vegetarian lifestyle. You follow the plan 6 days a week, and then you enjoy a free day.

The recipes in the book look heavenly, including Santa Fe Chicken Soup, Balsamic Salmon Salad, Turkey Bacon Quiche, Pumpkin Cheesecake, and many more. If you already have Body for Life, you'll notice that Eating for Life includes more food choices. These are easy to follow recipes with easy to find ingredients.

Exercise is recommended, as it should be included in ANY weight loss plan. However, you don't have to follow the weight lifting routine recommended in Body for Life, unless that is your goal. The EFL plan is meant to enhance Body For Life, so please do consider it.

It isn't a hard plan to follow. Carbs and Protein are 40% and fats are 20% of the meal. In general, if you have a palm sized protein, a fist sized carb and cook in a low fat style, that's the plan. It's easy once you try. You also need to add vegetables to at least 2 meals a day.

If you have any questions, please ask. We'd love to answer your questions! Most importantly, read the books - the key to success on any program!
:dizzy:

ledom
08-03-2004, 09:59 AM
Good morning all.

Jennifer 3fc, I hope you don't mind - I started a thread for August and lifted your introduction from July because you said it all so well.

I just wanted to check in and get back to posting as the last week or so I have been MIA. I hit a blip in my motivation, not unusual for me I'm afraid. If I could control that I would rule the world!

I am starting to see people I haven't seen since early May the last few days. I have gotten some comments on my weight loss accomplishment over the summer. I am pretty pleased that I have toned and lost inches. I am slooooow though. I have been at it for 2 years now and still have so far to go. My answer when someone comments is, "well, slowly but surely." And that is so true, I would say I am very very good 85 to 90% of the time. I guess it all boils down to being a hedonist, I enjoy the pleasures of food, not something I could realistically be spartan about without imploding. This past week has been such a lesson in that, skipping a free day backfired on me. I felt so deprived that I have had a 2 day eating spree! So, back to what works for me.

Thought I'd post my food and workouts for a couple days to help me get my focus back. Anyway Sat. is on the calendar for free day. I won't try to "make-up" for mistakes by not having it and the thought of it will make the days between now and then easier.

M1: 1/2 c. CC, 1/2 oatmeal, 1 scoop PP, 2 oz. blueberries
M2: 1 C CC and 1 C pineapple
M3: 4 oz. turkey breast, 2 C watermelon
M4: EFL muffin
M5: Turkey meatloaf, broccoli, new potatoes
M6: Oatmeal/PP

Shoulders/Abs, 20 min. treadmill

Hey to everyone and I hope to hear from you all soon.

brittyboo07
08-04-2004, 09:40 AM
Hi everyone!!

Ledom thanks for starting up the August thread!! And im glad to see your getting back on track we all do that from time to time and we just have to accept that and get back on track so keep up the good work :)

Just a quick update for me...
I have had to postpone my BFL/EFL until probably sometime next week due to my grandfather being admitted to CCU sunday evening. Its just been nonstop going back and forth from the hospital and lack of sleep i just havent had the time to prepare anything and im basically at the house long enough to shower and sleep right now so i have made a plan to get back on asap as soon as he is home. Its gonna be an adjustment thats for sure for my grandmother cause she has to alter the way she cooks and what she allows him to eat. He is doing better and starts his dialisis or however you spell it today so things are looking up and you can tell he already feels better. I probably wont be around to much the rest of the week but i hope everyone is starting their August off better than i am lol. Hope to talk with you all soon.

Brittnye

ledom
08-04-2004, 09:57 AM
Britt,

I as so sorry to hear about your Grandfather. I understand how it can put a halt on your plans as well. You'll come back even stronger for the break.

Yesterday went well, I stuck to my food plan but didn't get my workout in. But, this morning I did so I feel totally back on track.

I have been wondering about your Donna. Are you back from your trip yet?

Jacklyn you sound great and I am so pleased for you and your success so far.

Jennifer, how you feeling sweetheart? I hope you are regaining your strength and that you'll check in soon.

Cindy, I miss hearing from you. Hope all is well in your life.

BfL_Cat
08-04-2004, 01:48 PM
Hey guys - I'm still hanging in here - food and workouts are not too bad, but there is definitely room for improvement.

Things in my life are a bit stressful and hectic right now which is why I've been laying low. I'll write more when I get a chance.

Hope everyone is doing well.
Cindy

Jennifer 3FC
08-04-2004, 11:14 PM
I am so sorry for 'disappearing'! My life has tumbled upside down and it is just now getting back to normal. Everything sorta fell on me at once. Long story! Anyway, I am back on BFL officially since Monday. It's good to be back!

I took a long time on weights Monday and today. I want to try and split it up differently. I have such a jam-packed life these days I am afraid I will let it fall by the wayside if I don't make a more reasonable schedule. I want to do cardio every day, I think I need it for my ultra-sluggish metabolism. Does anybody else here split up their routine into shorter workouts on a daily basis?

ledom
08-05-2004, 06:04 AM
uh-huh, I do. I split my workouts like this.

Chest/Tris
Back/Bis
Legs
Shoulders/Abs

and I am trying for 20 min. cardio a day. I have even just done one body part every day. Oh and on the split I described above, I do it every other day mostly but sometimes I don't skip a day between.

Glad you're back Jennifer.

brittyboo07
08-05-2004, 05:18 PM
Thanks for the well wishes that means a lot. My grandfather isnt doing as well today he developed a touch of phnemonia and they are treating that now too. He is still confused and aggitated also but they are saying this is normal and im hoping this will pass soon.

Eating wise and exercise wise well lets just say its a good thing i have postponed BFL/EFL for now. But i look forward to getting back to it hopefully next week. Im glad to see that everyone is doing ok and i hope you continue to do so. Talk to everyone soon!

Brittnye

Jennifer 3FC
08-05-2004, 08:47 PM
Ledom, how much time do you spend on average on your workouts when they are split?

Brittnye, I'm sorry about your Dad.

ledom
08-07-2004, 08:12 AM
Jennifer - You know I don't time them but I will sart posting them. Yesterday I kayaked for the better part of the day so that was my workout and today I have a 1 1/2 hr. yoga class. On Thursday when I did chest/tris I estimate that I spent 40 to 45 minutes on weights and then I did 20 on the tread. Once I go back to work the extra cardio may have to go, at least on some days. I put a small TV in my workout room and I try to watch the morning shows (Today) while I work out, that gets me going but I find myself waiting until 7 even if I am up earlier. That will have to change when I have to get around earlier. I expect a big adjustment in routine when I go back to work.

One other thing on my strength training. I do the BFL recommended 5 sets and I do two to three excercises for each muscle group. I do 12/10/8/6/12 reps just as described in BFL, but then I move on to another exercise to target the same muscle and do 5 sets of that exercise. For example chest gets 3 exercises. For tris, I did one set of exercises and then the second exercise I didn't do sets but just worked the exercise to exhaustion and called it a day because I wanted to move on to the tread. I am becoming more intuitive w/ my workouts as I become more experienced.

How much time do you have to spend on your workouts? I would encourage you to make what you do work for you in your life. I can spend more time in the summer when I am on break from school. I start back to work the 20th of this month and things will drastically change then. But, as I said, I will try to keep a running record of what I do and post it.

I am single and my child is grown (though she's home now), and that makes a tremendous difference in what I can do as well. Individual circumstance must be considered.

Ah, one more last hurrah before going back to said work. I'll be traveling Thurs - Mon of the coming week. I am just trying to hang on to my losses until I can get back into a regular at-home routine.

KidzRN
08-07-2004, 08:47 AM
Hi there am I in the right place...I am trying here I have started BFL after reading both that and Abs Power (funny book) ..anyway I am convinced this is the best way to go for me...I have been eating 6 times a day for the past two weeks drinking plenty of water the first week worked out the second week my schedule changed (of course) and I lost the beat ...was so sedentary ...argh...anyway I am going to keep plugging away I need to get some muscle behind my fat here I have always felt this was the most important way to acheive a fit body....any tips would be appreciated? I have a variable job one day/week I could be sitting all day (that is NOT condusive to motivation) when I do I feel so much mroe fatigued and lazy!!!....then the next I run all day....and then I am pumped and motivated feel good and even when I am tired have time for weights ect...Just goes to show you that sedentary jobs are very unhealthy....If you sit most of the day how do you motivate yourself??? also please tell me how you keep the one free meal day at one and not have it snowball into a bunch of eat anything meals.....I have tried to save mine for Sunday to avoid the weekend slips but Friday nights I am so relieved that the week is over that I want something totally out of line for dinner...then there are leftovers Sat then Sunday is always dinner with my husband, brother and the kids where we have the huge family dinner with all the trimmings....I need some changes here....can you help? thanks

jacklyn
08-07-2004, 10:05 AM
Hi everyone! Brittnye, I hope your grandfather is doing better :)

Just a quick update! I am finishing week 4 today! Tomorrow is my free day. As of this morning I have lost 9 pounds and 6 1/2 inches! My hubby has lost 8 pounds in the last 2 weeks! It's so nice to have progress!

KidzRN~ about the free day...I have been enjoying it to the fullest! A couple of times I just had a free meal, but other days I grazed throughout the day. I figure as long as I keep losing, I'll keep enjoying it! I like to average about a pound to a pound and a half a week, so if I quit losing that I may try to restrict myself more, but we'll see. This is my first challenge so I plan to keep all of the free days there. When I start the second I may cut out one free day a month just to see if that changes anything. I know right now that I really need them though....I start getting cravings around Thursday and Friday. There's something about knowing that I just have to wait until Sunday and then I can eat whatever I want. That alone has helped me to stay on plan. Hope that helps!

ledom
08-07-2004, 12:42 PM
Welcome Kidz and WOW Jacklyn - YOU are doing great!

I am w/ Jacklyn on free day. For me it is necessary, when I start fooling w/ eliminating it I get into trouble. What works for Cindy, and maybe she'll chime in here, is three free meals a week to accomodate special occasions.

There was a period of about 6 weeks when I was doing BodyRx that I forwent free day, and did ok, but I really had to get my head right about that. I don't forsee doing it again.

KidzRN
08-07-2004, 06:29 PM
I will keep the free day and do it on Sundays...I have not problems M-F really but Friday PM is when I want the beer or wine and a huge dinner...but I am putting it off ...that is my first goal for the upcoming week...thanks I appreciate it..

jacklyn
08-08-2004, 01:25 PM
Hi everybody!

KidzRN~you sound like me! There's nothing I love better than getting off work on Friday and enjoying some beer or wine with the hubby (we dont have kids, so it's much easier to enjoy the adult beverage at anytime...unfortunately for my waist line :lol:). But honestly, I have been saving it for my free day and have still lost weight....I am down another 1/2 pound this morning, making it 9 1/2 pounds in 4 weeks! If you can keep your free day to just one day a week, I KNOW you will see results! Be patient though...I lost 6 pounds the first week and then nothing for 2 more weeks. Then all of a sudden my 4th week I dropped 3 1/2 more pounds. I just keep telling myself..this is a lifestyle change..not a diet. It WILL come off eventually! Take care and good luck!

jacklyn
08-08-2004, 01:30 PM
Oh yeah..I forgot! Ledom~my husband absolutely LOVED the mexican casserole! I just made my second one for Monday and Tuesday's supper! I love anything that he'll eat and doesn't feel deprived. Thanks for sharing! Since February, he's lost 24 pounds as of this morning! It's amazing how men can drop the weight without seeming to try! He's only got about 15 pounds to goal...I have about 40 more.....I'll make it eventually :^:

ledom
08-08-2004, 02:11 PM
I'm so glad Jacklyn, that recipe is a find isn't it? This is the first week I haven't made it since I found the recipe and it is defintely on the list for next time I cook. That is wonderful for your husband. Yeah I know what you mean about men losing quickly - it isn't fair!

KidzRN
08-09-2004, 08:16 AM
Good morning I am wondering if you guys would share recipes for shakes for snacks that can be transported to work? I do not like any bars or canned shakes but love smoothies ...however they turn to sludge when I get to work!...thanks

ledom
08-09-2004, 09:49 AM
Hey Guys,

Do you think it would work to freeze your smoothie the night before Kidz? Maybe it would be just right the next day at work. I haven't tried it but contemplating your question that is what I came up with.

Jennifer, 40 minutes on back and bis this a.m. I did 2 exercise for each group w/ 6 sets each exercise. I rest a minute between sets. Then I walked 20 minutes on the treadmill for a 1 hr. workout.

I have been thinking about something new when I get back from my little trip.
http://www.beverlyinternational.com/
I was looking at this website after reading about it at lean&strong.com on the competitors board. Just some interesting reading and I am considering doing a 12 week challenge w/ some of these supplements. I have no illusions of ever competeing, for one thing I don't want to work that hard. On the other hand, I feel ready to see another big drop on the scale. I'll let you know what I decide. If nothing else the vitamin pak sounds like a great idea. The other thing is I wouldn't see this as long term, just a 12 week experiment.

Any warnings about why this might be a bad idea? I have never considered supplements at all before.

Jennifer 3FC
08-10-2004, 09:05 AM
Ledom, I don't really know anything about those supplements. I think if I were planning on being a serious bodybuilder I would look into it, but I don't want to go that far. I do need vitamins though, I can feel that I'm not getting enough of something.

kidzRN, I usually bring yogurt, cottage cheese, cheesesticks, fruit, Myoplex Lite bars (those are GOOD), and I try and bulk cook chicken and brown rice a couple of times a week and bring that along. I'm not too inventive! I keep looking at the EFL book and I just drool over some of the food in it, but there never seems to be the time to try something new. I have an extremely fast paced life, which means boring meals!
I'm trying to cut out some things so I have more time to plan. I'll post here what I come up with!

Butt exercises - what's your favorite one? I can't believe there isn't a spot in BFL for these exercises. I feel like I am covering everything but that. I never have a sore butt! My treadmill rejects treadmill lunges, lol. I read that for videos, Tamilee's I Want Those Buns is the best. I thought about following that, but don't want to overwork thighs, which might get a workout as well.

ledom
08-10-2004, 09:41 AM
Hey Jen,

I know what you mean about bodybuilding. That isn't my purpose, fat loss is my purpose and I am considering still the possibility of some of these products to assist in that. I need to spend a little more time on research. I did order the vitamin pack because it seems like it might simplify taking them. Everything you need in one packet already doled out for you. One of those timesaving things.

On another note, I have never really known my bodyfat % or had the inclination to have someone do it for me. This a.m. I found this site http://www.biofitness.com/abodyfat.html which was really simple. While not 100% accurate it does allow you to note any downward trend (or upwards for that matter not that any of US are going there.) I plan on keeping track this way for a while. Lot's of other useful information there as well.

Did 20 minutes of cardio this a.m. I had planned to double my time but I just find it incredibly difficult, as in boring! I may try for another 20 minute session later today. We'll see.

brittyboo07
08-10-2004, 11:07 AM
Hey all!! Im back. My grandfather is doing better thanks for all the well wishes he is still in the hospital but doing much better. I am not back on BFL/EFL yet but plan too probably next monday its just been to busy for me to get to the grocery store or anything im watching what i eat as to not overdo it and make more work for myself and i plan to start back exercising this week.

Im glad to see that all of you are doing so well and welcome to Kidz. Everyone keep up the good work and ill be chatting with you soon.

Brittnye

LKTS
08-10-2004, 07:08 PM
Jennifer, where do you get the Myoplex lite bars?

I'm not eating clean again yet, but I've created a 'mental model' for my schedule/eating/fitness for the next month, so I think that will help. It's amazing how much more tired I feel when I eat junk!

jacklyn
08-11-2004, 08:56 AM
Hey Laura, I get the Myoplex Lite bars as well and Jennifer is right...they are pretty good! You can buy them at GNC but they are pretty pricey. I have been ordering mine from Vitaglo.com. They are much cheaper and have free shipping. I would recommend you try a couple at the GNC to see what flavor you like then make any big orders through Vitaglo. I have been eating the Peanut Butter Caramel Crunch, but I heard the Chocolate Chocolate Chip Crunch is pretty good too. Oh yeah, when you look it up on Vitaglo, it is under EAS products which were on a 20% sale as of this past Saturday...hope this helps!

LKTS
08-11-2004, 12:42 PM
Thanks, Jacklyn - I'll stop by my local GNC sometime soon and buy a few to try. I'm hesitant about shakes and bars etc., because most of the time I think they taste vile! (Too bad I don't think Moon Pies taste vile! :lol: )

KidzRN
08-12-2004, 09:33 AM
Hi there how is everyone this morning...I am sooo loving this BFL so far...it actually took me about a month to figure out how to fit this into life and admitedly I am not following it to the letter but I have been eating very very well, often and using my download of Fitday instead of the journal in the book..(it is so easy and I can plug in the execise and graph my progress..).I have a couple of things that I need to streamline and maybe you have tips? In the morning I am spreading a bunch of things out to make a day of mini meals in baggies and containers..that fit with the food list in the book....it takes so much time/space that if I am running late I am afraid I will not be careful ..I sometimes even end up with a rather large bag of food that is hard to store at work.....any tips to have fresh foods ready? ....I will try a myoplex bar but I really like food and have not liked bars in the past at all....but if these are good as mentioned maybe that would help me on a crazy morning....my other issue is the exercise times...I have only been able to do 20 min in the morning for anything and sometimes not even that ....but on leg day for instance..I do some sets of say calf raises... at work during the day and think that adds up? what do you think?....
I really love this plan and feel I can stick with it...today I am having my free meal ...please send me good energy that I do not snowball over the weekend!...it is my Friday and we are in process at work of going to paperless charts so this is a huge stess...we are going for beer tonight ..I want to have a nice meal and one pint!...and not let that be my permission to go down the slippery slope with the "I will start again on Monday mentality" please if you have any suggestions I would be so thankful...anyway thanks so much for listening..for motivation here is what I used this week.....I looked at National Geographic... this months copy had "The Heavy Cost of Fat" on the cover....inside an MRI of a lady with 40% body fat....and one with 20%....I keep looking at it because right now that pic makes me feel like my fat is squishing my organs...and is motivation enough I hope it holds!!!...it is a wonderful article check it out!...

waterbaby
08-13-2004, 10:02 AM
Y'all can I join in?

I've been posting to the LA Weight Loss thread to get info for my DH, who plans to follow their program (I guess; he hasn't started yet, and I'd rather get him on THIS plan)...

I have the BFL book and understand the principles and all. I also recognize some of you as longstanding 3FC members. Great job!!

I'd like to start my 12 weeks on Monday. That would include my workouts and all.

Looking forward to getting to know everyone. :D

BfL_Cat
08-13-2004, 10:25 AM
Hey everyone - just a quick note to pop in and say "hi!". I bought ingredients to try the Mexican casserole this weekend - I'm really looking forward to it.

I'm also getting myself back to some basics with some of my meals - instead of pressuring myself to cook all the time, I'm trying to eat things like cottage cheese + lite yogurt (mixed 1:1), or cottage cheese and salsa with baked Tostitos. Both quick, easy and filling.

Hope you all have a "clean" weekend!
Cindy

jacklyn
08-14-2004, 02:55 PM
Hey everyone! I just completed my 5th week (tomorrow is free day :D ) So far I am down 11 pounds! I tried on my jeans today that I wore probably about 3 weeks ago (then they fit fine), but today they were down-right baggy! For those of you just starting out, hang in there! I didn't notice any significant physical results the first 3 weeks (although I had lost about 6 pounds at that point), but beginning the 4th week and into the 5th, it seems like my body started changing daily. I am so glad that I have stuck with it! I haven't told anyone at work that I am doing this (because of some of the negativity I have faced in the past when I had tried some weight loss plan.....again,). Anyways, the other day my co-worker actually told me that I should wear the pants I had on more often because they made me look skinny! I wanted to say I'm sure it has nothing to do with the 11 pounds I've dropped, but I just smiled and thanked her. Little victories! I'll tell them eventually. I just don't want to hear "so...how long you think you can stick with this?" Good luck to everyone and welcome to the new comers!

KidzRN
08-15-2004, 08:41 PM
Jacklyn that is wonderful you give me hope ...I had a 48 hour free day ...not good....I blame PMS !!!! and to be perfectly honest that is awesome for me because as I get older the PMS has gone into 10 days!...I ate well drank water and exercised ..so 48hours is not bad!...I am not going to weigh in until I do a solid month ....I want a nice surprise like you!!!! 11lbs is awesome and inspiring thanks for sharing!!

KidzRN
08-15-2004, 08:51 PM
waterbaby sure join in!!!

brittyboo07
08-15-2004, 10:14 PM
Happy Sunday All!!!!

I am now back 100% i start back tomorrow... Day 1 I have everything already planned out so wish me luck. My grandfather is improving daily.

Jacklyn ~
YAY!!!! Im so glad to see that your doing so well gives me hope for myself. how is your husband doing with the program?

Waterbaby ~
Welcome to the group everyone here is so helpful with information you will enjoy it.

Kidz~
Hey i know all about those 48 hr free days lol. I have had two weeks of free days lol but that all changes tomorrow.

Hope everyone has a great rest of the day! Whats left of it lol. Talk with everyone tomorrow.

Britt

brittyboo07
08-16-2004, 08:36 AM
Good Morning all!!!! :coffee:

I hope everyone is having a great morning already i know i am. I was up bright and early at 5:30am this morning to start my weight training. I did the upper body for 47 minutes. I wanted to get the feel of things so i only started with a 1lb weight and well i found that a little to easy so i will increase the weights next time. Im also going to continue my treadmill in the afternoons as well so i will get a little extra in the workout department than what is required.

I have already had my breakfast an Egg & Ham Sandwhich it was good :) and 8 oz of water (im going to drink another 8 oz on the way to work ) and speaking of work lol i better finish this up for now and head that way so im not late.

Talk with everyone later today!! Remember to drink that WATER!!!!!!!!

Brittnye

waterbaby
08-16-2004, 08:53 AM
Oh, how funny, Brittnye! You are just "up the road" from me! I work in Nashville and live in Columbia.

Thanks all for the warm welcome!! My DH started LA Weight Loss today, but what he doesn't know is that he's going to be weaned slowly toward EFL/BFL. Our weight machine (crossbow) arrives Friday and we are supposed to be each other's coach -- I'm curious to see how this is going to work, but will give it my best shot. Meanwhile, I'm "making do" with free weights and a stationary bike.

I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone. :coffee:

Glug-a-luggin' my water today...cheers!

ledom
08-16-2004, 10:32 AM
Good morning, it is so good to have our group going strong. The positive energy is absolutely spilling over and inspiring me on. Just back from a short trip (through Nashville by the way where my daughter has a mandatory stop at the Green Hills Mall). We met family in Kentucky. Anyway I am home for the duration now and ready to get going. I have been at this so long that official challenges run into one another. However, I am naming today the beginning of a 12 week challenge! Do I have to weigh? I know I won't like what the scale has to say after my trip, I'll do that tomorrow w/ one day of clean eating under my belt.

On getting organized w/ food. What works best for me is to set aside one day a week to cook. Usually it is Sunday, sometimes I even go so far as to put my meals in glad containers right after I cook so I just grab one in the mornings. An example is turkey meatloaf, brown rice and broccoli. Another easy to pack ahead meal is cottage cheese and pineapple. And, muffins are a good substitute for protein bars in terms of ease of packing and eating (like in the car if you have a meal while commuting which I often do.)

I find everything gets easier on BFL as you get more familiar w/ it. For example free day, generally I am really ready for clean eating after a day of not. I feel better and I look forward to feeling the good energy I get when living the life. But, it takes a little while to fall into the rhythm, really it does get easier.

I'm still learning names and where everyone is so forgive me for not addressing individuals. But I do look forward to sharing this journey w/ all of you.

waterbaby
08-16-2004, 10:57 AM
Can we use salt with BFL? I couldn't find a reference to it anywhere in the book...

Still recovering from reading "Crossing the Abyss." Boy, it sure did make me think about what I REALLY want and what I THOUGHT I wanted.

ledom, I work five minutes from the Green Hills Mall, up behind the Parthenon...small world, huh? :D

ledom
08-16-2004, 11:10 AM
It is a small world. Nashville sure looked pretty as we passed through.

Yes, I use salt to my hearts content. The kind you grind in a salt mill to be exact. I haven't read anything about it, but on another message board I remember a thread on the subject and the general consensus was just to be sensible about the use of salt. I crave it.

waterbaby
08-16-2004, 12:57 PM
Lean and Strong is a great board! It moves way too fast for me to keep up, so I lurk over there occasionally.

Thanks for the info on the salt. I don't use much, so am glad to know it's "allowed."

Nashville has had a really wet summer so all our trees and flowers and grasses look pretty good, although it's tough on those of us with allergies!! :)

brittyboo07
08-16-2004, 03:41 PM
OMG!!! We are like neighbors!! Thats really cool I go to Nashville all the time. I have lived there and worked there and gone to school there before lol. I myself am not a big salt person however i do use it to cook with sometimes and to season every now and then but its not really a must for me unlike my grandmother and dad.

Ledom thats great that your starting your challenge today with me lol. We can keep each other on track. And it seems that waterbaby and her hubby are just getting into it too so its like we have our own litte group challenge going on.

I have done well today and am scheduled for my midmeal here in about 20 min and i can tell im getting ready for it lol. I am on my 6th bottle of water so 4 more to go and I will have my water in for the day. I actually have to plan tonights dinner still and stop and pick up the stuff on the way home.

I still have yet to try the mexican casserole but i plan on trying it this week. I have to say i feel great having done my exercises and eating right and drinking my water today.

I hope that everyone else is having a great day as well. Work has been crazy for me but thats ok better busy than nothing to do lol.

Talk with you all later!!! And keep up the great work everyone!!!
Brittnye

ledom
08-17-2004, 09:51 AM
How's everyone doing today. I just finished my leg workout. It took about 45 minutes. I don't do calves as my calves develop ultra quickly. I did a little ab work but need to do some more later.

Food was back on track yesterday. I didn't have much in the house but scrambled eggs and oatmeal got me through the day. I made the EFL cheesecake last night and plan to make muffins and mex casserole today. I'll probably make chicken and chili over the weekend. Now that DD is watching her weight my food goes a lot quicker as she has decided it isn't so bad after all.

I am really pumped to have a good challenge. Is anyone taking pictures for this challenge?

waterbaby
08-17-2004, 10:05 AM
I have a personal score to settle with DH, so I'm trying extra hard... LOL! We (hopefully) get our weight machine this coming weekend, and it will take all weekend to assemble it, I'm sure!

ledom, I'm so envious -- my calves are a bit stubborn, as are my front and medial delts. My lats and traps get really big in a hurry, so I have to be careful not to overdo!

I have pictures (ewww) and might post them, when I have the courage! :D

brittyboo07
08-17-2004, 10:14 AM
Morning Ladies!!!

Im slightly later posting today lol but thats ok. I didnt finish up as strong as i had hoped yesterday. The visit with my grandfather last a lot longer than i intended so by the time i left it was 8:30 and since it was already late i didnt want to go the grocery and get home even later so i did what one does in that situation lol i stopped at McDonalds!! i know i know i shouldnt have but I have decided to omit the free day this week and just have three free meals so that takes care of one. I also didnt get to walk on the treadmill after i got home.

Since i still have to go the grocery i decided to make breakfast a free meal as well and will be heading out in a little while to get a few things. String cheese and fruit for this afternoon yummmm and i think im gonna get the stuff for the mexican casserole too anywho i hope that the rest of you are doing better than i am. After i finish this im going to get some water since i havent had any water yet either i promise im gonna finish the day on a good note lol. And when i get home tonight (only staying 30 min visiting my grandfather tonight) then i will do my treadmill first thing. So now that i have a plan for the day i guess ill talk to you all later :) Have a great day!!!

Brittnye

brittyboo07
08-17-2004, 10:21 AM
Oh yeah i have a quick question. Are any of the microwave meals compatible with this program such as healthy choice or lean quisine? I was just wondering cause that would be easier for me at work and i havent seen anyone really say anything about them. If i just check the carbs/protein and make sure they are the same or as close as possible and keep it low fat do you think that would be ok a few times a week???

Brittnye

LKTS
08-17-2004, 01:53 PM
It's interesting reading all of the comments about prepping your meals ahead of time. I have come to the conclusion that there's no way I can get this to work with my busy schedule just expecting things to happen. Forget it! So I'll try to do some prep tonight and then do a regular session on Sundays.

Brittnye, re frozen meals, I know that the BFL book is strong on fresh foods etc., but I would think that if you limited the number per week and could find some with the right proportions, it'd be better than eating junk. I'm a vegetarian, and unfortunately none of the veggie meals has enough protein to make it work, although I could always add cottage cheese or something I guess.

Has anyone tried the Kashi Go Lean bars? I have some Go Lean cereal and the advertisement for the bars on the back stares down at me from the fridge. :lol:

brittyboo07
08-17-2004, 04:58 PM
Hey Laura thanks for the reply i knew and agree with fresh food but i was think about saving myself some time and im gonna look and see if i can find something to have a few times a week and have like turkey sandwiches the rest of the week at work lol. I can see how its hard for you to get your protein in. Also i was wondering how is the go lean cereal i havent had it and didnt know they had bars too. Im gonna go next week to GNC and get some of the myo bars so that i can try them and see how they are. I start back to school Aug 30 and im gonna have to have something that i can take with me and have for a snack at school. So i thought i might as well start looking now. Im having an apple and cheese right now lol. I havent done well on my water drinking today! Anywho i hope everyone has a great rest of the day and ill talk to you tomorrow.

Brittnye

ledom
08-18-2004, 09:37 AM
Laura, I bought the new fall issue of Vegetarian Times yesterday. There are a couple of great looking recipes for vegetable side dishes and one for kale and potatoes that I hope to be trying soon.

I went ahead and ordered some of the Beverly International products. I am so pleased w/ their protein powder called Muscle Provider in chocolate flavor. I haven't been much of one for shakes, but it is so chocolatey, really tasty. Reviews on the quality of the protein are very good too. On the Kashi bars, very yummy. The only problem is that I started having a problem with them in the house, actually all bars. They were tempting me too much so they have been banned for the time being.

Brit good luck as you return to school. Are you in a dorm or will you have access to a kitchen so you can prepare meals for yourself? I watch my daughter struggle w/ the challenges of eating right w/ only a small fridge and a microwave at her disposal plus the temptaion of cafeteria food. I know it is hard.

Did shoulders (about 20 minutes) and 20 minutes of the treadmill this a.m. I tried something new on the tread - speed as opposed to a higher incline for the cardio effect. I think I'll do this for a while just to change things up a bit.

LKTS
08-18-2004, 05:15 PM
Ledom, thanks for the feedback on the Kashi bars. I'll have to try a few if I see them in a store. I often like the recipes in Vegetarian Times and I think it's a nice magazine.

Today is a running day although it may be after dinner depending on DH's schedule. I've had such trouble sticking to my schedule that I may have to forget about the 5k next month and look for another one later in the fall. I have a walk/hike/run scheduled for Sunday with a friend in a local park which I'm really looking forward to.

BfL_Cat
08-21-2004, 12:15 PM
Hello everyone - just thought I'd pop in from lurking and say "Hi!".

About the frozen dinners - just look for at the nutrition label for those which have about equal grams of protein and carbs in them. You'll be surprised to find there aren't many that fit that criteria, although maybe with this whole national "low-carb" craze, they've wised up about that.

LC Chicken Marsala, Glazed Chicken, Oven Roasted Beef, Salisbury Steak, Roasted Turkey & Veggies, and Three Cheese Chicken are some that fit the bill - I just looked up the nutritional values on their website. However, several of these only have about 15gms of protein in them (the average women has around 20-25g per meal), so be aware that you'll probably still be hungry after eating one of these!

About bars - I've gotten back into the bar habit for meal 4 lately, but it's because I've been fighting chocolate cravings lately, and I figure if the bar can satisfy that, then it's better than the vending machine alternative. However, I know they aren't the best nutritionally, and hope to wean myself back off them.

Hope you all are having a great weekend! Ledom, glad to hear you enjoyed your trip. When does school start?
Cindy

Jennifer 3FC
08-21-2004, 07:33 PM
The only frozen dinners I personally have seen that fit the requirements are the Chicken/Beef stir fry packages. I think it is made by Birds Eye. 15 carbs/protein for each serving, but the servings are small so I eat 1.5 servings, which gives me about 22 g per serving.

I've been eating some really boring stuff! I HAVE to start cooking from the EFL book before I go out of my mind. Maybe I should just bring it to the grocery store with me, then I'll be sure to get the right ingredients.

ledom
08-22-2004, 09:03 AM
Good morning- Cindy and Jennifer, good to hear from you two. Cindy, I started back to work on Friday. Classes start on Wed. I think I am ready.

Jennifer I have often thought of taking my cookbook along to the store. Good luck figuring out some interesting food. I eat a lot of the same things over and over, but w/in those things I do have to rotate or I start to get really tired of the food.

I had a good weight loss week last week, I am going down the scale slowly but surely. I am trying to keep my nose to the grindstone about getting every workout in and the food clean. Sat. is my official free day and I take full benefit of it. Along about Wed. I start thinking about what I want to have and by Sun. morning I am ready to get back on program. It all seems to be working.

Hope everyone has a super week.

brittyboo07
08-22-2004, 08:01 PM
Hey all!!!

Ok so i have to say my first week well it basically sucked lmao. I didnt stick with anything that much. So i have to get on track. I know that the first two weeks are the worst when your getting into a new routine like this and if i can have a great two weeks then it shouldnt be to hard after that. So Im gonna get back up and start over. I had a great first day and the rest of the week just seemed to go down hill.

I have to start getting up early for school anyway so it once i get used to that it shouldnt be that big of a deal. By the way i dont live on campus so i have access to my kitchen and can cook what i need. Its just finding the time right now!

Ok so I see that i should be having 20-25grams of protein per meal and i will look at those from LC that you saw Cindy i only plan on using this for lunch maybe two days during the week because it makes it more simple for work. Also if there arent enough grams of protein then i can always add something. But i wont be having them over two days just because while they might be healthier than somethings i know they still arent the most healthy. Im gonna go look up the Healthy Choice web page and see what i can find. Also im gonna look and see if i can find some kind of bar that i might be able to eat for snack time also i didnt make it to the GNC store this weekend to get anything to try so ill see what i can find at walmart.

Ledom you said classes start this week are you a teacher? Thats what my major is Elem. Education. I start back a week from monday! Im actually ready for it. Well i have some things i need to finish up talk with you all tomorrow.

Brittnye

LKTS
08-22-2004, 09:15 PM
Well, I planned my meals for this next week and went shopping today, so I'm feeling pretty good with that. I'm really just starting with the 'one protein food, one carb food' idea and not calculating exact grams of everything yet. I figure I'll get into a routine and then start analyzing and perfecting things later!

ledom
08-23-2004, 08:04 AM
Britt good luck on getting on track. I think what you say is very true about one good day leading to another. That has been my experience as well as vice versa, one bad day can lead to another. If you can muscle through at first, it does get easier. Yes, I teach in the art department of a small southern liberal arts university. I love it. My DD attends the same school and yesterday I was helping her move. I saw some of my students from last year moving in as well, the school year has begun. I didn't feel old until my D became a student where I teach!

Laura, great job getting prepared. On one of these boards I read a slogan that has been my mantra lately, "When you fail to plan, you plan to fail." The beauty of BFL is that you don't have to count calories, grams, etc. I don't generally, every once in a while I record in fitday to get an idea of how I am doing, but when you figure out your serving sizes, BFL is like dieting on cruise control.

brittyboo07
08-23-2004, 08:59 AM
Morning all!!! :coffee:

Im sitting here waitin for the phone guy so i thought i would just hop on and say hi. Im sure im gonna have plenty of time they gave me a time of 8-12 that they would be here.

Ledom that is so cool that you teach in the art department. I myself am not really an art person as far as me doing it lol i would rather look at somthing someone else did lol. Anywho i have decided to pick one thing to really work on this week out of the things i need the most work on and if i have a great week with that then i will get a reward :) I have decided to work on water first. So if i drink my daily suggested amount of water for the whole week i think i will buy myself some clothing item since school starts next week.

Anyway i got some things at the grocery store last night and plan to have a great day im fixing to get myself a glass of water also.

LKTS i totally agree with how your approaching this. It is something to get used to thats for sure making sure you have a protein and carb at each meal even snacks. So just take it day by day and then really jump into it.

I hope that everyone is doing great and ill talk to everyone later.

Brittnye

LKTS
08-23-2004, 01:41 PM
Ledom and Brittnye, thanks for the comments. So far I am feeling a lot more lively and less tired, so I think that the protein is really making a difference. No big weight loss as yet, but I haven't been POP for a whole week yet either...

BellaNordica
08-25-2004, 10:04 AM
Hello everybody! I basically just joined the site to get a bit of a community feeling when it comes to EFL.

I just ran across it last weekend and this week has been my first. Now, I was doing something very similar but which involved constant calorie counting which is just not for me! The number adding was driving me nuts!

Well, I ordered the book from Amazon.com and it would take another week for it to get here...in the meanwhile I don't want to lose the motivation, plus, I don't really have a lot of info apart from the general guidelines I found on the official EFL page. Guess that's why I'm here.

I am a recently turned 30 female, 154 now, going towards 130, the longterm goal is 14% BMI and a sixpack :)
We'll see...

LKTS
08-25-2004, 12:43 PM
Welcome, Bella! I know that there's a lot of info on the official BFL website as well as other sites, so I'm sure you can get a good idea until you get the book.

My NSV for the day: I woke up tired and cranky due to a late night and being awakened by the trash truck, which reminded me I forgot to put out the trash! Instead of hitting Starbucks and not bringing any food to work, I got dressed, went downstairs, and made my breakfast, lunch, snacks and dinner. Since I have a night class about 25 miles away after work, I won't be home till late so if I hadn't gotten everything together I would have had to resort to junk food. So I'm pretty proud of myself. :)

BellaNordica
08-25-2004, 02:46 PM
Laura, good job! I'd be proud of myself too!

It's nearly 9 pm here in Spain and I still got my last cottage cheese meal to go before I go to bed, sadly the latter also means that I have to wait another for 2 hours! I don't know if it's me, but I have been outrageously hungry this week, really really hope it's normal...

A small question, is there any daily fruit limitation? Also, how big is a CC portion? Unfortunately you can only get a 4% cc here in this country so I'm really not sure how it affects the portion size...

And hey, remember that garbage tomorrow :)

LKTS
08-25-2004, 03:17 PM
Bella, it always takes me a long time to adjust when I decrease my food intake (unfortunately not so much the other way! :lol: ) So I'm not surprised you're hungry, although if it's really bad maybe you're not eating enough.

I don't think there's a limit on fruit, just that you need to count it as a carb due to the sugar. I usually go for 1/2-3/4 c of CC as a serving, but that's just based on my 'fist' estimation.

Unfortunately the trash only gets picked up once a week, and it was recycling week too, which is only every two weeks, so there'll be some extra stuff in the garage until the next time!

brittyboo07
08-25-2004, 05:52 PM
Afternoon Girls!!

First things first welcome Bella you will fit in just fine here! I have fruit every day. Its one thing that i love to eat and i missed when i was on a low carb diet. So i was so excited that i was able to have fruit. Right now im on an apple kick lol. I usually have my fruit as a snack with cheese normally so that i get my protein in. Its really important to make sure you eat all your meals so that you dont feel as hungry and i usually get hungry every 3 hrs or so now since i eat 6 meals a day well actually 5 most of the time i tend to not have the last meal.

Laura~
LOL about the trash but hey it happens right. Also thats great you made your meals for the day i know all about not having the time but we do it anyway huh lol.

Now an update on me for this week....
Well my "friend, aunt flow, time of the month" whatever you want to call it arrived this week so as you can imagine that is trying to mess with my first week. Now i tend to gain a pound or two during this time so im not gonna even weigh myself since that will be off. But im trying to stay on plan as much as possible food wise. I wont be getting my reward for the week cause well my water intake is really bad this week. My exercise is also a little off this week i havent done my weights but i did do my cardio yesterday on the treadmill so i will try my best to do my weights tonight when i get home. I have to make myself get my act together and get on this program 100% im really into it mentally i just have to make myself do it physically lol if that makes sense.

Well i have a few things to finish up here at the office talk with you girls later. Everyone have a great night!

Brittnye

BellaNordica
08-26-2004, 01:50 PM
Guys, thanks a lot for welcoming me here! :)

Today's actually been better, but hey, the night is still young :devil:

I feel I might be developing a gym rat disorder..I'm extremely faithful to my morning Spinning/Tae Bo workouts 6 times/week plus days/week lifting, but my gym has just set up new funky dance classes evening program and it looks awesome!! Soooo many cool things to do!
I've been thinking to give a serious shot to hip hop, a Wednesday belly dancing hour and maybe a couple of Bailes Latinos nights - after all, I do live in Spain!
Am I crazy? (Well, I know I slightly am, but am I within limits?) :dizzy:

Jennifer 3FC
08-26-2004, 11:47 PM
Oh, that's great that you have so much available to you! Take advantage of it, and have a blast!

BfL_Cat
08-28-2004, 09:26 AM
Happy Weekend all!

Well, after doing 4 back-to-back Challenges, then taking about 4 months off (although following BFL basics during that time), I've decided to gear up and do another Challenge.

I was motivated by an email from EAS - Aug. 30th is the last day to officially signup for the last Challange round of the year, and prompted by a recent breakup with my bf, I've decided I need something to focus on right now, and that this should be it!

I'm hoping that by giving my body this little break over the past few months, that maybe doing a new Challenge, and being as perfect with it as I can be, will shake things up and give me some significant changes again. I seem to be in some sort of a set-point rut, and really need to get things moving again. I had been dropping sizes for a year, and then nothing for the past 6 months. Stalled at a size 14, and although I'm thrilled to be here, from my former size 20W, I want to try to get down to a 12 or 10.

I did gain back a bit of weight in the past few months, thanks to a new relationship and eating too many carbs again, but I'll leave my signature as is - to try to motivate myself to get back to that point, and then to bypass it. I'm sure my body fat is up as well.... :(

So, this weekend will be lots of planning and then planning some more. Back to basics - will be cooking on Sundays for the week, and planning workouts and printing them out for myself for each day. One of my big challenges will be Saturday cardio - I workout at work during the week, but on Saturdays I'll need to go somewhere to get that in - requires a bit more effort on my part, plus I like to sleep in!

Ok, I'd better get going as I have a lot to do this weekend.... Hope you all are having a good one!
Cindy

jacklyn
08-28-2004, 02:22 PM
Hello everyone! I think it's actually been a couple of weeks since I have posted here but things have been hectic. My husband had a surgery last Friday that he has been recovering from and I got the flu or something and missed about 4 workouts last week. I am still a little under the weather..I think its now allergies or something but I started working out again on Tuesday. Officially I just completed my 7th week and so far I am down 14 pounds! Averaging about 2 pounds a week so not too bad. My original goal was 25 pounds in the first 12 weeks...I dont know that I'll make it but that's okay..this is something that I plan to do for life. My husband has dropped from 255 to 225 since March! He's really showing some improvement!

Cindy! Doing 4 back to back challenges! You definitely have more experience in the BFL than I do. What do you think are realistic goals for the 12 week period. I plan on keeping up with the BFL program for life but setting the goals for each 12 weeks will help me to stay accountable. I'd appreciate any advice! :D Good luck on your new challenge and I'm sorry about the break-up, whether its a good or bad thing, the change always stinks.

Hey Brittnye! hope your grandfather is doing better!

Hey Bella! Welcome! We have about the same stats and goals (although I would like to be at 120....I'm a shorty at 5'3"). I would love to go to Spain! Never been. Good luck to you!

Hello to everyone else I missed...this is getting to be a pretty diverse group! Which I love! the more the merrier and the more people that I can learn from! Everyone have a great day! Today is free day for me and I am currently enjoying an adult beverage...so I plan on making this a good one! :lol: I know shame on me.....

Jennifer 3FC
08-28-2004, 07:57 PM
Cindy, what all are you going to cook on Sunday? I need to do some mass cooking. Have you tried freezing recipes from EFL or BFL? I need food with SUBSTANCE. I've been eating way too much yogurt-n-cheesesticks and Myoplex Lite Bars.

BfL_Cat
08-28-2004, 09:17 PM
Jennifer,

I pretty much freeze anything I make that is meat/sauce/carbs. I usually cook 2 or 3 entrees on Sundays, then divide it all up into individual serving Gladware. Half goes in the fridge, for lunches and dinners in the first half of the week, and the half goes in the freezer for the second half of the week. Sometimes I have extras from other weeks in the freezer which I use just to add a bit of variety, but otherwise, I'm good with eating the same stuff all week.

Stuff I've made and frozen: Singapore Shrimp, Shrimp Scampi, Mom's Enchiladas, and Turkey Meatloaf. I also cook stuff out of Cooking Light magazine - just look for recipes with equal amounts of protein and carbs. I've made and frozen lasagna, turkey tetrazinni, beef merlot, chicken provencial, spaghetti w/meatsauce, chicken tika masala, ... the list goes on. Of course, I don't freeze anything with fresh vegetables.

Hope I've given you some ideas - I might be persuaded to share some of the other recipes in the near future.
Cindy

Jennifer 3FC
08-28-2004, 10:31 PM
I gave my Mom a years worth of Cooking Lights that I hadn't even taken out of the wrapper. I'm a sucker for a good deal and I have too many magazines!! I have a few CL annual recipe books, I should look for a few goodies.

ledom
08-29-2004, 12:53 PM
I know I am not eating enough green vegetables. I have to work on that this week. My first week back to work was from ****! It can only get better. Excercise - food, everything has changed. I know I will get into my routine but it isn't an overnight thing!

I am cooking today, for a potluck which is work related. I made some hummus which I think can be a meal for me, I made enough to keep a couple of servings.

I am making muffins and cutting up a watermelon. No real protein meals in there, I bought chicken that I should marinate and cook tomorrow. Everything seems a little piecemeal at the moment but I always have eggs, cottage cheese, and oatmeal and I just have to plan carefully even it is by the seat of my pants during this adjustment period.

I'm glad your back w/ us Cindy, you really know how to work the diet!

Oh, here are some other thoughts. For the couple of weeks before school I was putting in extra cardio. Almost every day along w/ weights. The result, I look leaner, but I got really hungry. For several days last week I was starving. This is something I need to think about. I guess, 7 clean meals every other day or so might off set that?

Jennifer 3FC
08-29-2004, 06:16 PM
Are you sure your meals are balanced? I personally would look at that before I look at 7 meals. It would be hard to cut down all the meals to squeak in 7 and still not go over in calories. Protein helps you keep full longer so maybe you are eating too many carbs.

ledom
08-29-2004, 07:38 PM
Yes my meals are balanced. I don't think I would do 7 meals every other day, but maybe every third day or just when I am starving. I think it is better to do that than go off the diet. And then some days maybe 5 meals. I'd have to go to bed early on that day though to keep from eating. Or maybe I should just cut out cardio every day.

Honestly though I am just thinking out loud here. I haven't been fooling w/ the diet much at all and may not. I was just noting how hungry the extra cardio made me.

LKTS
08-30-2004, 11:53 AM
Hi all,
Last week went pretty well with the getting protein at every meal. I didn't do great on the weekend since I seemed to devolve to 3 meals without even trying. But that's fixable. This week I'm lowering my portions, and Tuesday night I'll have some time to enter most of my frequent foods in fitday and then be able to do detailed analyses. Happy Monday!

waterbaby
08-30-2004, 12:58 PM
Hi, all!

We bought a Crossbow and it arrives next weekend. Can't weight to actually get back to my weight routine!!

Stayed the same weight-wise. DH has just started South Beach and I tried a sample day with him -- ack, the fat! -- I had indigestion, and am stuffed up today, so I know it's not a good idea for me. He loves to cook, so that diet is perfect for him. However -- when I get buff faster because my food is cleaner, he may want to join me :D

Hope everyone has an awesome day!

BfL_Cat
08-30-2004, 03:59 PM
Hi all - so far so good with food today - just finished meal 4, and have the other two planned, so as long as I don't get hungry in-between, I should have a clean day. Still need to work on getting more veggies in - that is always a challenge for me.

Really tired myself out with my workout today - only did chest and shoulders, but worked them hard and also did a brisk 1.5 mile walk at lunch time. Now I'm draggin'!

Here's today's meals:
M1 - Myo Lite Capuccino
M2 - 1 c. cc w/.75 c blueberries
M3 - can of tuna with 1oz. whole wheat crackers, 1 c. cherry tomatoes
M4 - Myo Lite Strawberry
M5 - Leftover Paella - 3/4 c. rice with 4 oz. chicken
M6 - 3/4 c. cc with 3/4 c. lf/sf yogurt

Ledom - don't give up that extra cardio - I'm sure it's helping with your fat burning! My advice is instead of adding a meal, to up the protein in your existing 6 meals a bit - maybe turn a 4oz. dinner into a 6 oz. dinner. Remember, you want to keep your 6 meals evenly spaced throughout the day, so quantity modification should be done by making them bigger or smaller, not adding one or skipping one.

Another suggestion for hunger is to have a glass of milk. I'm experimenting with the whole "calcium promotes fat burning" thing - during my very first Challenge, I was drinking 2 gallons of 2% milk a week, in addition to my regular meals and I still lost 30# of fat that Challenge! So, starting again today, if I'm hungry between meals, a glass of milk it will be. I've now weaned myself down to skim, so the impact will be less, and I'm hoping the calcium will work to my advantage!

Ok, time to get back to work - just an hour to go!
Cindy

kehi13
08-30-2004, 04:48 PM
Hi! I am trying to figure out if this is for me or not before I go out and buy both the books. Are all of you really losing weight? It seems like alot to eat. Do you use the Myoplex shakes or have you found others that work? I am on a budget and if there is something that works the same but is cheaper, I would appreciate any suggestions.
Thank you so much for your help.
Kehi13

BfL_Cat
08-30-2004, 09:41 PM
Kehi,
The beauty of this program is that you customize the food quantity to meet your needs. The purpose of dividing it all up into 6 meals is to keep your blood insulin levels fairly constant throughout the day, which promotes fat burining/loss and keeps cravings/hunger to a minimum.

Also, the reason for the food is fuel for your body - protein to allow your muscles to grow, and carbs for energy. More muscles mean you burn more calories and thus burn more fat during rest and cardio. You can't deprive yourself of the fuel needed to make this program work for you. I actually didn't lose any weight during the first 4 weeks of my very first Challenge, because I wasn't eating enough at 1300 calories a day. I increased to 1700 a day, and the weight came off wonderfully!

Many of us use the site fitday.com to track our daily intake - that way you can correlate Bill's "palm/fist" measuring to calories and/or grams of protein and carbs, and adjust your plan to improve your results.

Not sure how much fat you have to lose (this progam is about losing fat, not weight, as you will increase your lean body mass by building muscle, but will lose fat), but this is an excellent program which has literally changed my life. The money you spend on the books will be the best you've ever spent - you're worth it, don't you think?

About the shakes - it is possible to buy protein powders in bulk and make your own shakes with them. EAS sells stuff at Wal-Mart - I think the protein powder there is about 15 servings for $9.00. I buy my Myoplex Lite at vitaglo.com - for a little less than $1 a piece, which is the best price you'll find.

However, it is possible to do this program using all whole foods - you just have to be a bit more creative and learn to LOVE cottage cheese! ;)

Your question about progress? I've gone from a size 20W/2X, to a Misses 14/L using this program, and plan to continue until I reach my ultimate goal.
Cindy

kehi13
08-30-2004, 10:11 PM
Thank you for the info. I appreciate you responding to my questions. EAS sells stuff at Wal-Mart ...I'll have to check it out.
I am not sure how much fat I have to lose, I know I am not happy
about the way things look and feel. I am looking for something that helps me fit back into the closet full of clothes I have. I don't have to be thin, just happy about the way I look. I have had 3 children and have cycled those extra pounds so many times, up an down. I can be really dedicated for months and then something will happen BAM and it will come right back. I have gained about 17 pounds since Christmas and I figure if I can get that off plus another 8 to 13 pounds (25-30 total) I should be able to get into the size 10 jeans in my closet they have stretch but just to be able to wear them I'd be Happy.
As far as the aerobic conditioning, I read that you only do 20 min. 3x per week? or do you do more? Anyway I value any advice I get. Thanks again, Kehi13

Jennifer 3FC
08-31-2004, 12:13 AM
Hi there - If you only want to buy one book to save money, I would say get the BFL book. The EFL does have more tips in it, but it is primarily a cookbook. I buy my powder by the 5 pound tub at Vitaglo.com - I don't buy the Myoplex lite. I buy Designer Whey protein or EAS Simply Protein and add a carb to it, usually a piece of fruit. Most all powders are either low carb or high carb. Myoplex is one of the few that is balanced - so I buy a much cheaper low carb and add the fruit. You only have to do the Myoplex if you are entering a BFL contest. Have you been to the Ladies Who Lift forum? That has a lot of good information about bodybuilding. This program includes weight training, so I would recommend looking that up as well.

Yes, the cardio is 3x a week. I try to do more - I lose weight at an incredibly slow pace, so I need the extra exercise. Many people do it with just the 3x. One thing about the cardio - it is more intense than just a brisk walk, so you really burn the calories while doing it! You also do weight training on 3 alternate days a week, which lasts 45-60 minutes.

kehi13
08-31-2004, 10:19 AM
Jennifer,
Hi and Thanks. I am definetely going to check out the 5 pound tub at Vitaglo.com and the Ladies Who Lift forum. As far as the cardio more intense than just a brisk walk is more than I can do at the moment but i am hoping to work back up to it...funny how easy it is to get out of shape but how hard it is to get back into it. I am looking forwar to getting the book and getting my body back. I am glad I found this forum. Thanks, again, Kehi13

LKTS
08-31-2004, 01:11 PM
Hi all,

Kehi, I know what you mean regarding getting back in shape. I have a hard time running for more than 5 minutes straight yet, unfortunately. But I'll get back to it. You could definitely do BFL-style cardio (HIIT) by walking, I would think, but I'll let the 'experts' comment for sure.

I ordered a Zone Perfect shake mix and some Zone Perfect protein powder from drugstore.com the other day along with the usual stuff I needed. They have EAS and GNC stuff too, I think, but only in the really large sizes which I'm reluctant to get online until I know whether I like it.

This week I want to eat clean and track my food in Fitday all week. Yesterday was good - 1763 cal, 45% carbs, 32% protein, 24% fat. I'm aiming for 40/30/30 and a maximum of 1800 calories until I see how that treats me weight-loss wise.

ETA: I love this whole BFL/calorie thing! With WW points, they are calculated to weigh so heavily against fat that things like peanut butter or laughing cow count for crazy amounts of points even though they're not that many calories. I understand the goal behind it, but being able to adjust your percentages for the whole day gives you so much more flexibility. And pb&j :)

kehi13
09-02-2004, 11:59 AM
Well I ordered the BFL book. It should be here Wednesday. I would someday like to get the EFL book but it is out of my budget at the moment. I am trying to follow the plan from the knowledge I have before the book gets here. I went to fitday and for the last 2 days I have kept my diet at 40-30-30 and about 1550 for cals. I really hope this WOL is what I am looking for. I am looking forward to seeing the changes in my body and my energy levels too. Kehi13

Jennifer 3FC
09-02-2004, 11:20 PM
Kehi, if the brisk walking is your '10' then that is what you can do. I'm not sure if you've read the explanation for the cardio yet. You are going to judge your intensity on a scale of 1-10. Let's say 1 is sleeping, and 11 is passing out. You want to go a minute at "5", a minute at "6", a minute at "7", a minute at "8" and a minute at "9". Then start over at "5" again and repeat. This goes on for 3 - 5 minute cycles. On the last 5 minute cycle, you are going to start at "6" and your last minute will be a "10". What is a 10? If you finish up your minute and that was ALL you could do, that is a 10. If you could have gone for another 15 seconds, you didn't make 10. I usually can tell about 30 seconds into that last minute if I am really hitting 10 or not. If I find myself below, I just crank up the speed a bit. When I started I couldn't jog for more than 15 seconds. I would jog 15 seconds out of every minute and walk as slow or fast as I had to during those 45 seconds to recover in time for the next 15 second jog. I wish I used my logs from BFL. I photopcopied, but never got around to filling them out. I'd like to see how far I have come! You'll see the same results by the end of the challenge!

Laura, if you do decide to try more shakes, I'd recommend Designer Whey for a low carb powder, and add a fruit. It's tasty enough and it isn't expensive. For the amount of protein we need at this level, it fits well enough.

Jennifer 3FC
09-02-2004, 11:27 PM
I'm closing this thread and moving to the September thread!

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46108