Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 07-31-2004, 02:27 PM   #1  
Mommy, wife, teacher

Default Hypoglycemia...HELP!!!

I just found out that I have hypoglycemia. I always thought it was the opposite of diabetes...NO, it is the precursor to diabetes...in other words, if I don't get a handle on this, I will end up with diabetes!!!

My doctor verbally rattled off a diet, no sugar, no white carbs, soy milk instead of skim. I need a list of foods...more details. Does anyone know where I can find the official diet for hypoglycemia? My mom (who died in 1986) had it, and I remember her drinking tomato juice with safflower oil in the morning. I can't remember what else she had to do. She died of cancer before she got diabetes. My grandmother went blind from diabetes and was completely insulin dependent. I need some real information. Anyone that can help me would be very much appreciated.
Summerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 03:28 PM   #2  
Swimming Mouse

Hey, Summer...
Come ask your question over in the PCOS forum. Lots of people there are insulin resistant which is similar. And PCOS patients usually respond to low-carb diets, so you can get information over there.

Anonymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 06:54 PM   #3  
MomWifeTeacherFriend

Hey LOOK! We're all together in a different place! Summer... check your PM re: this topic! take care
HatterasMermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 10:12 AM   #4  
Mommy, wife, teacher

You guys crack me up!!! It is nice to know I can count on my friends to respond to me!!!

Now for the rest of you out there...HELP!!! I need some advice. Are my days of eating chocolate numbered? Can I have a little occasionally?
Old 08-06-2004, 01:10 PM   #5  

Hi. I have hypo or hyper glycemia as well and all I know is to eat protein, but I would like to know alot more about it so that I don't feel crapy every day for the rest of my life! Can you let me know if you find info about it and I will do that same for you ok? Take care, bye

Christy
CR1026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 11:01 PM   #6  

Hi, I just skimmed over this topic, but here is what I think. Hypoglycemia is when your blood sugar drops too low(which can make you tired and achy because your body looses it's fuel). It goes up after eating, but drops again after awhile. Eating small meals every few hours instead of 3 meals a day will help keep it from dropping. Also advoid refined sugar and flour because they cause your blood sugar to go up and drop suddenly. Whole grains and sugar from fruit help keep your blood sugar from going too high or too low.

Go to the section without diabetes:
http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pub...emia/index.htm

Here is some more info:
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/hypoglycemia.html
workman_02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 07:53 PM   #7  
Mommy, wife, teacher

Workman, thank you for a concise and to the point description. I appreciate your help!
Old 08-11-2004, 12:30 PM   #8  
Running Babe

I just eat regularly and find that that helps. I also avoid eating highly sugary stuff on its own kind of deal. I in general opt for complex carbs, some protien and low-fat in my eating and it's working.

Cheers!

Ali
Sweater Girl is offline   Reply With Quote