Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 07-31-2004, 03:21 AM   #1  

Default Friends with RA and OA - #7

Charlotte, I decided to start a new thread. It doesn't bother me one way or another as I am on cable and it is pretty fast loading. Hate to see others have to wait and wait.

Charlotte - I sure hope you crawl out of the black hole soon. I, personally, have never been there, but I here it isn't a very nice place. I no I would be stressed to the limit if I had to live in a reno for very long. I hope you do go away and come back feeling better.

Deb - I bet you would feel let down. The problem with friends on the net, is that you see only what they want you to. Not the complete person. I have met some wonderful people on the net, and then met one of them in person and it has developed into a nice friendship. I do have a lot a friends from 50 years back. We grew up together and have always kept in touch. They are more like the sisters I never had.

Laura - Just let the whole deal with this fellow run it's course. I am sure it isn't your weight. He has never seen you. I am following the low carb diet and have had a good week. Hopefully it will show on the scale sometime next week. Nothing much yet! So discouraging, but she said some people take longer than others, so to just hang in there, so I will.

I will be gone until Monday evening. It's a long weekend here, and we are leaving for the big city of Edmonton. Going to do lot's of visiting this weekend. Hope you all have a great weekend.

Hi Pam. Hope you are out enjoying life.

Last edited by Happy Canuk; 07-31-2004 at 03:23 AM.
Happy Canuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 04:07 AM   #2  

Angel lover - a new siggy if you care to use it. I hope it helps you to feel a LITTLE better

Happy Canuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 10:56 AM   #3  

Default Hey There

Happy-Will Power and motivation go hand in hand in my case.. If I get frustrated as much as I am right now with my hubby, I will eat.The older he gets the harder it is for him to understand some things...
Now I have vented!!!!!
I turtled or stayed the same weight this week. I was really good but still did not lose. So I get out my little book amd start writing down what I eat this week...
Hope everyone has a great week..
Don't let the computer guy get you down.. There are lots more of the species out there.
Bye...Joanne
Joanne D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 05:01 PM   #4  

Hello everyone....very rainy weather here, today. Had to get out early to go to station to pull up weather maps for meteorologist to call in flash flood warnings! I'll be glad when the managers are back.

Thanks Happy Canuk...that's so sweet of you! I really like the little angel. Of course, I'll use it. I wish I wasn't feeling this way. I do believe the house situation has a lot to do with it, although there are a lot of other things going on. I'm sure RA doesn't help the situation, either. I just really would like a real kitchen, bed, sheetrock, curtains, etc.....almost 2 years now....I'm very tired of it. I'm seeing my DH getting tired of it, too. Men just don't vent like women...at least mine doesn't. I just have a lot of things going on right now, added to it. Don't mean to have a pity party, but I guess that's what I'm doing...sorry. I've caught myself eating a lot the last few days. That's how I got overweight, & had to go on a diet last summer, after the fire. I turned to food for comfort. I've got to stop, before I gain all of it back. ( I say this as I'm eating pizza rolls....well, they ARE good. )
I hope you all have a good weekend.
Angel-lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 07:22 PM   #5  

Default Hey There

Angel- Go on and have your pity party. You deserve it..I remember when we did a big remodel here. I was in tears a lot of the time. I had no ceiling and no walls in the kitchen.No ceiling in the living room. The floors were a disaster too.The bath was gone and I had to go to my SIL to even take a bath and I was working full time.And that doesn't even take in the bugs coming out of the attic to look for new homes...My hubby is a lost soul when it comes to house repairs so my son and BIL was trying to help. I finally hired a man to finish the kitchen.It was a nightmare..I don't think I could ever go through that again..I can imagine that you are depressed and that doesn't help your health.
We are here for you anytime you want to dump it over the wires..
My hubby had me buy a pizza . I put it in the freezer for a later day.. One of those new thin crust ones. De Georno?I am too lazy right now to go look at the box for the right spelling..Sorry about that.
I spent an hour on the treadmil today. I wasn't going to mess that up with pizza..
Hello Grasshopper and everybody..Joanne
Old 07-31-2004, 09:14 PM   #6  
Hang In There

We are back from our trip, I sure is good to be home, and hopefully back in some sort of a normal routine. I did have a letter from my doc in the mail saying that all the liver tests she did came back negative, and that my overall liver number (whatever that is) was even a little better. So we are just going to watch it and I don't have to give up my pills.

I went to the health club today after work and did some water exercise, and since it's been about 2 weeks since I was there, it really gave me out. As I said earlier, I'm glad to be getting back to normal.

Hope everyone has a relatively pain free week.
ageoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 12:11 PM   #7  
stirfried

Default Hi

Charlotte,
Hi, I guess I missed something. Where are you living? I remember when my kids and I moved and we were going to camp out in the summer until I found a house, Yes I know It sounds pretty stupid now, but I had family that came with me, and there were going to help,plus I thought my kids would love it. The thing was thought Are camping stuff got stolen, the first night we were their. We had spent the night with my aunt, and lo and behold next morning every thing was gone. I didn't know what I was going to do, my aunt didn't have her house yet and she was staying ina little camp trailor. I sat there not knowing what to do, So I laughed about it, it seemed I could either cry and worry myseld sick or I could just laugh it off and figue what to do. I prayed and within a hour I had a place to stay. Z My cousin found out I was in town and what happened. Even so it was hard to live with someone else. I have also lived in motel kitchenette it was awful, but nothing syays the same. I just told myself"this to shall pass"that got me throught alot at times.
I am real sorry you are having a hard time, but things will get better. Maybe not as fast as I am sure you would like but it will happen.

Hi everyone else,
Well I got some bad news. I had a mammagram a couple of weeks ago, and there is something on the film, so I have to go back for other views. They said something had changed and they didn't know if it was normal or abnormal, so I go back tommorrow morning for new pictures. I am alittle concerned,but not to much. These things tend to turn out to be nothing. On top of that my son is getting tested doe somethings and I am really more worried about him getting sick more than me. I would gladly have cancer and both breast taken, than have anything wrong with my son. I just keep praying right now. I don't really have a organized religon, but I do believe in Prayer and God and Christ.
Well thats all for now.
Laura
stirfried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 01:10 PM   #8  
Hang In There

Prayers for Laura going right up. Hopefully it will be nothing, but if it does prove to be cancer just think of me. I had breast cancer when I was 28 years old and had one of my breasts removed (that was in the dark ages before they even thought about reconstruction) anyway, I am now 57 so I've been "breastless" MORE than half my life, but the importiant thing is that I have also been Cancerfree for that length of time. What is your son being tested for? How old is he?
ageoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 06:34 PM   #9  

Yep its me dropping in to say hello.....I have read all the posts and have caught up with whats been going on. I havent been anywahere myself, just basically in a weird mood. Do you ever get in the mood where you feel totally detached from things and you need to find a direction. I get like that periodically and its not good news. Its starts with me feeling sorry for myself and then I have days where I dont feel too good. I then get a positive mood on and do all the jobs that have been waiting for a while to be sorted and then I start the faddy new interests that never seem to last. Its all to do with having all your kids flit the nest and not feeling needed and worthwhile anymore. I am sure you have all been there and you never really get over it I dont think. I feel the same and its six years since Robert, my youngest, moved over to your part of the world, when he first started high school. He was last to leave home and I still have these silly moods.Anyway here I am and about to put some imput into this new thread.

Charlie chin up kiddo, youre the one that usually keeps us going so if you want to vent, you vent. I feel for you not being able to get sorted. Your feng shui is all out of sync so you will feel messed up. Meditate! It works wonders. Doesnt get the place finished but puts you somewhere else for a wee while and it helps.

Its really hot here at the moment. Theyre predicting temps of 31 tomorrow. I wont be going far I can tell you. I feel as if I am melting. Only good thing about it is I am drinking LOADS of water and its helping with my weight. I have now lost 20 kgs since Jan 19th. Thats 44.4lbs. Yay! Way to go!I cant diet because as soon as I start eating normally again I whack on the weight but now I am on low fat, low sugar, and healthy eating and its working. Some days I wonder how I have lost weight and other days I am very good. I stick to 3 meals a day. Loads of chicken, 3 fruit and at least 4 veg a day. Wholemeal flour not white, brown rice, and plenty of water, that is the key, the water. I have rice cakes as snacks, weight watchers ice cream or cakes as a treat thats it. Its working. .....just thought by telling you this it might help some of you but we are all different.

I have my thirteen year old Grandaughter staying here at the moment. Shes here for 2 weeks and I love it. She does her own thing alot more now shes a teenager but just having her around boosts me up no end. Never realised before how I enjoyed picking clothes and towels up off the bathroom floor or empty drinks bottles out of the bedroom. Anyway its just for 2 weeks so I will make the most of it whilst it lasts.

Right before I go, I must just say a quick hi to Laura. I know exactly what youre going through. That waiting.... I have been where you are 3 times and each time thank God its just been cysts. Over here they prep you just incase theres grott news, tell you how they will deal with it etc but they dont tell you how to deal with the interim period of waiting. Here it takes a week to get results back, a couple of years ago it was 10 days. They were the longest ten days of my life so I am praying for you. Unfortunately whatever the outcome you HAVE to know and then deal with it, but there is always somebody on here that will talk to you, laugh with you and even cry with you, so get that typing going whenever you feel the need.

Everyone else on here I have read your posts and I am thinking about you all. Hope youre all feeling well and I will be back to chat asap. Take care!
Night Night!!
Iamgonnadoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 11:06 PM   #10  

Good evening.

Laura...I'm so sorry about the mammogram, & your son. I'm praying for you, both.
I posted an explanation to you about where I live, but when I hit the reply button, it vanished. So, here's a shorter version:
1. Nov 2, 2002...housefire from new Maytag Range
2. Insurance did not want to pay enough, so had to hire a lawyer.
3. Still didn't get enough to hire contractors, so DH has to rebuild.
4. Lawyer going after Maytag Co. & store where we bought it to get enough money to finish building.
5. In Sept, someone broke into the storage unit we had our furniture, clothes, etc that had survived the fire, & stole it all. My dad's things (he died when I was 21) my grandmother's things, a bedroom suit we had since we got married 36 yrs ago, a 10 yr angel collection, almost all the clothes we had ( I had cleaned all these things several times to get the smoke stains & smell out.) The unit was so full, we could hardly close the door.
6. We've lived at a motel, then a 2 room apt., then a small camper by the house, then 2 rooms in the middle of the house, now 4 rooms.
7. We still have no kitchen...have to use hotplate, microwave, etc. Sleep on mattresses on the floor. No floor covering, walls, ceilings. No curtains (finally got shades up.
In the winter we were cold, in the summer, we are hot. DH works on the house continually when he's not on regular job. After almost 2 yrs, he looks older....I guess I do too!
I'll be ok....I just go through dark spells sometimes. I stay on pc most of the time, so I can't see the house, or think about it. I feel guilty. I was home when the fire started, & I keep wondering if I could have put it out, & saved us from this nightmare. Firemen said I couldn't have...it was already to the ceiling & spreading with windows breaking out, by the time the smoke alarm went off. I still wish I had tried.

Joanne....yes, sounds like you described my situation...you DO understand! Maybe there's a light at the end of this tunnel. I hope so.

Hope you all have a great evening. Like I said, I had a post that I lost. I post more next time.

Old 08-02-2004, 08:52 AM   #11  

Thank you all for your words of encouragement. This is Monday morning.....feeling a little better. At least, I slept last night. Haven't done that in awhile.

Hope we get good news from stirfried & son today...I'm praying.

Everyone have a good day....I'll check in later.

Old 08-02-2004, 02:54 PM   #12  

Hi All,

First, the good news! Great job on the treadmill Joanne! I forgot who mentioned going to the gym but good for you too! Now to get some of that motivation myself. Great job on the weight loss Imgonnadoit! Sounds like you've got a plan that clicks.

Laura, I'm praying for you. I've had a few scares myself. I've had two lumps removed, both benign, but it's scarey. Just a thought, don't know if you guys know this but large busted women, all women I think, should take Vitamin E.....about 1000 mg to 1200mg a day. It helps with circulation and health of the breast tissue. Caffeine is a big culpret behind breast tenderness and linked to breast cancer. Okay, enough of my public service announcement......

Angel, I've been there for the whole remodel thing. I moved into a new apartment, with lower rent, because I was desperate and the landlord said he'd be fixing the place up. Then I got laid off, went to graduate school, and the remodeling began, think it lasted 7 months on that old house. I had wood covering my windows in January, in Upstate NY, for a few weeks. I got sick and just wanted privacy. Actually broke down on the doctor because they refused to give me antibiotics......he asked "What's going on?" and let me tell you......by the time I finished my one man monologue the guy was sitting down dumbfounded. The more stessed I get the more funny I am.....think I could have gone on a world tour that day. Was so stressed at that point I think I was trying to bite my own left ear...lol.

And I have to admit......I LOVE PIZZA ROLLS! lol.

Hope everyone is doing well and staying cool. Charlotte and Laura, you're in my prayers.

Deb
Young Grasshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 07:37 PM   #13  

Default Hey There

I think that at one time or another we all are in the same boat. That is unless we have a boat load of money and have no worry about how much we spend.That is half the problem with most women who have a weight problem. And believe me that is one problem we never lose even if we are lucky enough to make some kind of goal. There seems to always be something that will drive us to the food. I know it does me..
At least it is nice to know that we have a means to unload when we can't stand another minute..
I am going to see my daughter on Thursday . She says her house is upside down because they are remodeling the kitchen. I don't care about that,I just want to be with her for awhile and if there is something I can do to help her then that is all the better.
Laura- Here's hoping that all you have is fibrids. We all get them at a certain age.I know you are scared and that is normal.. Grasshopper is right. I take 800 mg of Vit.E daily. I used to have fibroids bad. I haven't had a lump removed in over 20 yrs.Ifcourse these days they don't remove them if they are just fibriod.
Angel- Things will get better. God has put a big test on you..Check your private mail..
Hello everyone...Joanne
Old 08-02-2004, 08:03 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 188/167/130

Hi All, I can sure relate to the remodeling blues. DH and I added on a room 2 years ago and it seemed like my house was torn up forever. I have 2 kinds of Arthritis, one is degenerative and the other is osteo. It makes for interesting mobility sometimes. I went to the doctor a while ago and he said nothing more then I was doing for it could be done. so I take my MSM, oil, and garlic pills and try to stay away from animal products and wheat. Unless I slip up I have minimized the pain quite a bit but I don't think anything makes it permanently gone. Since August I have lost 26 pounds, which is not very significant for a year, but I think I'll have to try and up my exercise to lose my last 24 pounds. I think I have wrecked my metabolism with all the diets I have been on. Just thought I would introduce myself, have a great day, Judy
Born2run2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 11:31 PM   #15  

Born2run2!!

Glad you dropped in. Hope you'll stay with us. This is one place you can vent & complain about aches & pains.....because we're ALL here together, & we understand. I think you've done great with your weightloss. Losing it slowly makes it stay off better. As we get older, our metabolism is slower, also. Of course, I don't know your age, but, if you've been dieting awhile, like you said, time will take it's toll.

The weightloss will help with the arthritis. I have OA & RA, & every pound off helps so much.

Thanks for the input on the remodeling. Maybe someday I'll be able to post to all of you & tell how nice my "finished" house is.

Thanks to Joanne D & Young Grasshopper....I seem to forget I'm not the only one who's been through something like this. I am very thankful, too, that none of my family was hurt.

Everyone have a good evening.