South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 07-22-2004, 08:08 AM   #1  

Default Brown Bagging

Hi Everyone,

I have to start preparing my mind and cupboard to return to work. There is no refrigerator and not usually a microwave. However, I can put an ice pack in my lunch box.

What recommendations do you have? I know I can have a salad, but does anyone have any other ideas? Sandwiches are easiest, but I know I cannot have the bread.

I have concentrated on SBD and exercise for the last 4 weeks. I fluctuate between a 7-8 pound loss at this moment. I lost 7 pound in the first 3 weeks. I think about how hard I've worked at this. I appreciate the thread which suggested that the body must get used to the loss and than move on. I hope this is true. I won't be able to exercise as much (6 times/week) but will do my best. For the next two weeks I'm going to prepare for the next year of work. I like being organized.
Old 07-22-2004, 08:47 AM   #2  

well with no microwave i think i would check out a good soup type thermos (wide mouth lid type) that way you could heat leftovers at home and keep them warm till lunch so you won't get burned out on salad everyday. i pack my lunch everyday for work also i usually pack hard boiled eggs, veggie strips and dressing, salads, any kind of leftover. etc. good luck on the planning that is the most important part!!
Old 07-22-2004, 09:18 AM   #3  

What about investing in a small cooler. A personal sized so you could keep everything nice and cool. Just thought it might keep you salad better. Godd luck.
Old 07-22-2004, 09:28 AM   #4  

I was going to suggest something similar. My boss started SBD 2 weeks before I did and he bought a tiny little plug-in cooler thing for his office. His wife knew he would not keep walking down to get water and his snacks, so she bought it to keep by his desk.

Once you are on Phase 2, your options open up. I bring yogurt to work with an ice pack, it stays pretty cold. There have been a couple days where I had yogurt with berries for lunch. Just cause I could not stand another salad.

I think the lettuce wraps would work well for you also. Wrap some meat spread with laughing cow cheese or hummus over a scallion and then inside a piece of romaine lettuce. Its your own SBD sandwich.
Old 07-22-2004, 09:40 AM   #5  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Instead of an ice pack, freeze a bottle of water or some V8. Works fine and is thawed in time for early afternoon sipping!
Bean salads are another good option to tossed salads.
Old 07-22-2004, 09:51 AM   #6  

When I was packing my husbands lunch (he's on the road all day - so no microwave or fridge either) I would pack a salad, hard boiled eggs, cheese sticks, almonds, sugar free jello, apples, and I made sure he had an Atkins shake or meal bar in there each day in case of emergency. I used ice packs too.
Old 07-22-2004, 12:08 PM   #7  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

What about tuna salad (as in tuna with mayo and celery or pickles, etc.) and chicken salad (same, with chopped cooked chicken), also cottage cheese with veggies or fruit? What about cold chopped salads or salads made with couscous, chicken, and veggies (no lettuce)?

The Lemon Couscous Chicken recipe from the SBD cookbook is excellent chilled. There are a ton of bean recipes in the forum. You can also check out www.cookinglight.com They have great recipes!
Old 07-22-2004, 03:49 PM   #8  

I have a little chilli bag that is designed to hold a six pack and fill it up with salad vegies, deli meat, low fat cheese, yogurt and fruit when we are having a picnic or something in the weekend. This would make a suitable lunchbox. A bottle of water would help keep it cold and you would at least have your water bottle handy.

On the days I am at work all day I make up a salad and take a small can of f/f flavoured tuna for lunch and for snacks I take yogurt, low fat cheese and a small bag of peanuts.
Closed Thread