South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 07-20-2004, 02:42 PM   #1  
Just wanna lose!

S/C/G: 177/177/150

Height: 5'2

Default Unsupportive spouses anyone? I start tomorrow(m)

OK anyone else have a spouse/partner that is not supportive or laughed when they wanted to try this? I didn't even want to tell my husband but of course I did *sigh* now i need the support ladies so I can prove him wrong! I start tomorrow morning and have my celery and cauliflower all cut up in the fridge, my crystal lite made, tons of water ready, fresh salsa made up, my eggs and turkey bacon etc...I can do it! So glad i have this place to come to for some support. Thanks
Old 07-20-2004, 02:54 PM   #2  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Pear, with your weight being so close to what is normal for your height, I would assume that you really don't need to lose the weight, persay. Is that why your husband laughed? If you focus instead on eating healthy, exercising more to tone what you have, and feeling good about yourself, I'm sure you'll have better results than if you push yourself like crazy to lose those 10 pounds in five weeks. That is a lot to ask for anyone...especially when they are so close to goal.

Take tender care of yourself, okay? And if your husband is not supportive of your being more healthy, perhaps you need to sit down and really talk with him? Maybe he is worried about you losing too much? I know that my husband and I truly benefitted from some counseling so we could learn to talk with each other. Are you newly married? If so, maybe a spot of counseling could help you both communicate.

Good luck!
Old 07-20-2004, 03:26 PM   #3  

We're here to provide support, Steph. It sounds like you are well prepared.
Old 07-20-2004, 05:23 PM   #4  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Just tell him marriage is about mutual support. and then tell him that I'll have his balls for bookends if he doesn't support you!
Old 07-21-2004, 12:53 AM   #5  
Live, Laugh, Love

Height: 5'3"

I wouldn't say my fiance isn't supporting me, I just have to hear him complain all the time about how fat he is. He sees me losing weight and I don't know what it does to him, but he wants to eat his pizzas, and cheese fries, and buffalo wings, and cheesey bread, and cheese sticks.....I get a craving ONCE in awhile when I smell a cheese stick, but I haven't broken down yet. He's nice and tells me I'm looking skinnier, though, so that's a plus right?
Old 07-21-2004, 04:05 AM   #6  
Just wanna lose!

Laurie thanks for the advice sweetie. Actually we have been together for almost 11 years and will be married 8 years this January! We got married young LOL. Ummm he is not worried aobut me getting too skinny at this point LOL he likes real skinny. I am small boned so actually I am in a healthy range still for my height but it is lots of fat and i eat horribly so I wanted to start this plan not only to lose but also to learn to make smarter eating choices kwim? Also breads make me retain water horribly so like i mentioned in another post I know getting to the 130 won't be hard it is getting past that one that is hard for me. I have talked to a doctor before about my weight and he had told me I could be perfectly healthy in low 100's due to my bone structure since I am built small (a pear though). Thanks again for the advice you were really sincere.
Ruth LMAO about the bookends tee hee! Thanks Ruth and others for the support!
Old 07-21-2004, 10:00 AM   #7  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

Ruth!

My partner was not supportive at all of my losing weight. She didn't laugh at me per se - but would eat crapola around me, refuse to eat the good stuff I cooked and went to McDonald's instead. Needless to say, we are no longer together, because of this and other things.

I go with Laurie's advice and sit and talk to him. Being healthy is nothing to laugh at!
Old 07-21-2004, 04:41 PM   #8  
Just wanna lose!

Thanks Jenn he is being a bit better today with it all asking me things like "are you sure you can have that diet coke?" ha ha jerk! But i think he realizes I am trying it to be healthier not just for weight loss although that would be a major plus! Now if i can keep myself from my natural pb and splenda cookies i made, those are too good!
Old 07-21-2004, 05:27 PM   #9  
Ready to Change

S/C/G: 170/160/125

Height: 5 ft

I am lucky my dh wants me to get healthier. He is very supportive and will eat whatever I make. Thank goodness. Now if I could get the kids to do that would be amazing.
Old 07-22-2004, 09:51 AM   #10  

I am, thank God, very lucky that my husband is doing SB with me! Any diet in the past (ww etc) I have done on my own and it's so much harder!
Ofcourse my husband will reach goal weight in 3-4 months as opposed to my 10-12 months for goal weight, but still...it's a permanent lifestyle change aswell.
It's really working for me this time because we are in it together and eat the same meals and weigh ourselves together!
I'm sure though since you don't have all that much to lose that you will be able to do it no problem on your own! Good luck!
Old 07-22-2004, 04:18 PM   #11  

Hi! I was just cruising the boards and came across this thread.

Remember, men are strange critters and their reasoning is different than women. Men get insecure sometimes when their wife or girlfriend loses weight. They realize that other men will be looking twice. I know....I know...it gets old fast!

My advice is to not expect any support from a man and then if you do get some you can be pleasantly surprised! (Can you tell by that statement that I've been married to DH over 25 years?)

Just keep on going and take good care of yourself!
Old 07-22-2004, 04:42 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

My dh went through that stage of nit picking every single thing I ate, "are you supposed to eat that? is that on your diet?"

I went through the super helpful spouse stage a couple months ago and ranted about it on the prevention thread.

http://forums.prevention.com/thread.jspa?threadID=54393

He's gotten over it thankfully. Occasionally he'll look at me with a question in his eyes.
Old 07-22-2004, 05:04 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahyu
My dh went through that stage of nit picking every single thing I ate, "are you supposed to eat that? is that on your diet?"
I am there NOW!! He drives me nuts sometimes. And he does not always speak, he gives me looks.

In my case, I lost a lot but until the past 2 weeks I was stuck at 189.5-191 pounds and part of it was because I slipped into Phase 3. And well in all honesty, I was sneak eating behind his back. I would buy a chocolate bar and eat it in the car but keep the wrapper in my work bag to dispose of when he was not around.

I realized how sick that was I am back on track now and the looks/comments are back. I did say something to him about it the other day and it has been better. He is supportive, he just has a goofy way of showing it.
Closed Thread