Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 07-20-2004, 09:43 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 209/179/160

Height: 5'3"

Default Tuesday Talk, July 20

Good Morning Gang!

Leenie must be busy at work this morning? Hope everybody is enjoying their morning I'm finishing my first cup.

I got up early and did my 2 miles with 3 lb hand weights.

My boss is in Dallas, Texas today and I am so glad. I may have this office to myself most of the day and I just love that!

What is everybody up to today?

I was thinking, since we were talking about "getting back on track" on yesterday's thread. If anybody would like to join me on the Weekly Food Log and journal their daily food it might help keep us honest and "back on track". I cannot tell you how many times I think "ok now if I eat that I'm gonna have to count it, and look up the calories and journal it" and sometimes just the thought of that keeps me on track. It's just a thought - no pressure - but like I said it sure keeps me "honest" on days when I would rather just eat what I want.

I'm gonna grab my 2nd cup of coffee, and then I'll be back....I wanna post about something that I found in Woman's World magazine that I picked up yesterday. grrrrrrrrrrrrr

hugs to the gang,
cathy
cathyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 09:57 AM   #2  

Ok yesterday I picked up the July 27, 2004, Woman's World magazine, because the big title on it said "The new Thyroid Cure, 25 slimming foods that will rebalance your body chemistry for easier weight loss". Well because of my low thyroid, I read everything that I can on thyroid and such. When I got home and read the article it is actually about "how unhealthy acids are making us fat". The only reference to thryoid was one sentence that said "you eat to create a slimming ph balance in your body - a trick that improves thyroid function and boosts metabolism".

Well the plan they give makes little sense to me, and basically you cannot eat foods from list 1 and 2 at the same meals, you have to eat them 3 hours apart - anyway I just found it very confusing.

But the thing that really got me is this, the first woman they talked about is a Nicole, who is 5'2" and weighed 171. She says she lost 53 lbs in 6 weeks. Now come on folks ... there is no way that any woman could lose 53 lbs in 6 weeks, people who are much heavier then that and have the gastric bypass surgery don't lose that much weight in 6 weeks - there is just no way that woman lost that much weight in 6 weeks - I'm sorry I just don't believe that! I don't know if it is a typo, or just an out right lie, but it aggravates me!

why do I keep picking up this magazine? ya know, if the weight loss gimmicks they talked about each week, actually worked, we would all be skinny! grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Cathy
Old 07-20-2004, 11:04 AM   #3  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Good Morning,

I'm home today, DD was very sick last night 104 fever, this morning 101 and still burning hot. So here I am lol.

Cathy that is alot of weight to lose that fast...something doesn't sit right w/me either. Maybe it was a typo??

DH came home w/my birthday present last night (yea its early) he got me a tredmill boy now I have NO excuses Gotta love that man.

Whats everyone up to today ?
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 11:45 AM   #4  

S/C/G: H178/S170/140/135

Good morning.. thanks for the ears and hugs yesterday, ladies... i was so terribly down.

Got out of bed carefully today, but so far, I can walk!!!! Spent the day yesterday on teh floor, doing the two exercises chiro & physio gave me to do, and icing religiously. Am heading to floor now to do them again, then off to physio in 2 hours for another appt.

Son is getting royal runaround from the company he works for. Now, they've decided they are going to take benefits away from him. We called the head office yesterday and the person he needs to speak to was in meetings and will call back today. In meantime, he DID make an appointment with the provincial addiction (for drugs & alcohol) for tomorrow.

His psych appt is still up in the air, and that's what's messing up his benefits. Family doctor referred him to psych adn then family doctor went on holidays. We've been waiting and waiting for psych to call. Son finally called that office yesterday to find out psych has declined to see him!!!!!?????????? And he sent a letter back to family doctor, who of course is on holidays. Meantime, son's employer won't pay benefits because he hasn't gotten paperwork from psych in! Kid is on stress leave and who's creating more stress here???

so I got him to walk in service at our clinic and they were kind enough to get some things started until son can see his regular doctor next tuesday, when he returns from holidays. I just hope this person from the company who is supposed to call today, will see the position son is in, and that he IS trying to comply. meantime, it's messing up his chance to move out at end of month due to $$, tho we have said we will help and he can pay us back.

poor kid never slept a wink last two nights fretting about all this, and he's on stress leave!!! work is making it worse! I can't believe this mess.

anyway... off to the floor. I've vented enough
JudoMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 12:38 PM   #5  
Divine Gal

Hey Ladies!

Yesterday was a bad day for me. I felt like total utter S***. Today though I am doing my nesting.OH BOY what fun huh? Dh is having a really hard time with this job.He came home yesterday with sunburn and totally exhausted.So I don't know for how much longer he will be doing this.Bless his heart.

Not much is really going on except I have been really thinking about getting the gastric bypass done.I am still up in the air about it though.

Well I hope all is well.Back to cleaning for me.

*hugs*
lynnie
lynnie24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 02:12 PM   #6  

Hey ladies... Hang in there. I normally do not come into this thread, but I thought I would say hello. Sometimes you gotts close your eyes and just have faith. Keep up the hard work, and remember that all of you have complete control over what you want to do, even though it doesn't feel that way.

On another note, 53 pounds in 6 weeks is crazy, there is no way that is right. Like I always have said, the best way to lose is to just make sure you are getting plenty of exercise, and eating a balanced but healthy diet. This extreme stuff just seems too unstable. Anyways, I was feeling a little down today, but I hope you all are doing well. Please have a wonderful afternoon!
conway_1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 02:25 PM   #7  
CIN

Default Hi Gals!

Happy Tuesday to all,
Not much going on around here. I am not doing my 2 nd meeting today...going to a picnic tonight.out annual T.V.Ministry picnic from church.

So basically I have a free day.....I am going to make some augratin potatpoes striaght from the box with a little pepper on the top to appear more homemade!!Ha!Ha!...Made & cheeseball and taking crackers! That is it!

Cathy.......................ha ha that article was certainly misleading.We all look for anything that might help yet we all know what to do and many of us ARE doing the right things!

BBL
Cin
PS Notice anything different?
CIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 02:27 PM   #8  
CIN

Default P.s.

P.S. Needed spell check and my glasses!!! Ha Ha! Ha!
CIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 03:19 PM   #9  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Conway, glad you stopped in to say hello.

JudoMom, I can not tell you how many doctors I called before I got one that would take me (psych) its a darn shame and its not like they are cheap either. Sad, I feel for your son. Just keep being there for him, thats all you can really do. One place I called told me that I needed to come from a hospital first b/4 they would see me...so I said OH! so I need to have a nervous breakdown b/4 I can get help OYVEY!!! A$$WIPES!!!! (sorry girls, but that made me terriably mad). Hope your back is feeling better, taking it easy IS a good thing.

Lynnie, is there anyway you can get some free counseling ? Just realize that surgery is not the cure...you have to work REALLY hard at losing the weight once the surgery is done, its not a piece of cake (so to speak). Talk to the ladies on the surgery board here, they will tell you just how easy it is to return to your old habbits. So no matter what you do or chose, its going to be hard honey, okay !! I think by having a partner w/you working with you (your hubby) you'll both do good. Hugs.

Cin have fun at the picnic, and its good to see your bringing a low carb treat

Just got off the treadmill, did 25 minutes not to shabby but my goal is to work up to an hour
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 03:23 PM   #10  

Hi everyone.....I am not feeling too great today either.....don't know if it's from the withdrawal symptoms.....or from something that happened in my life. I have a sister....when I said I was coming for a visit back east....she said I could stay with her....in the next breath....she said she wouldn't cater to me....I asked her what she meant....she said I would have to make my own breakfast & lunch....I told her....I always do when I come to visit......she said she would make dinner for her DH, me & herself.....then she said....her & her DH would be golfing all day on the weekend....she lives 20 minutes out of town.....she has been difficult for the last 25 years......for the last 3 years....ever since the depression became bad in the winters....she has avoided me....so has another sister....when I started to tell her I was feeling better & about what I was taking....she just cut me off. The next day I emailed her & said I wouldn't be staying with her....would be staying with another sister....Elaine....who is coming here later in August....I told her I feel more comfortable with Elaine. After talking with her....I wanted to cancel my trip.
This happened 3 days ago.....have been upset on & off since then....& feeling down at times.

Leenie.....hope your daughter is feeling better now.

My DS1 who also suffers from depression....SAD....is off work now....disability....in his office they got a new boss......he was out of work for 3 years.....he has been riding everyone....there are some other people on disability now also.
I talked to his DW on the instant messenger this A.M.

Lynnie.....hope you are feeling better now.

April

Last edited by april99; 07-20-2004 at 03:28 PM.
april99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 03:50 PM   #11  

Wow Leenie! 25 minutes on the treadmill is AWESOME! I find walking on the treadmill so much harder then "regular" walking. YOU GO GIRL. did you get much sleep last night since little gracie was sick! I sure hope and pray she gets better quickly! I know it is hard when your kids are sick. That was a high fever!

Hey Cin - I notice - you have a new picture under your name! very cool! have fun at the picnic!

Hey Judomom - sorry things have been so stressful! You are in my thoughts and prayers! hugs!

Hey Lynnie - give your dh a hug from us!

Hey Conway - I'm so glad you dropped in. It's good to hear from you! I totally agree with you - sometimes ya just gotta close your eyes and have faith - so true! thanks! hope you're feeling better!

Hey April - ya know, sometimes families can be so difficult - but ya know what - I don't think the way your sister treats you has much (if anything) to do with you - sounds like she would probably treat anyone like that. it sounds like whoever was coming to stay with her would have gotten the same little speech about not catering to them. know what I mean? some people are just like that. but I know it hurts when your family doesn't understand or make the effort to. hugs!

I'm sitting here eating 2 cucumbers! (no not one in each hand) I have them cut up in a bowl. I'm starving! I'm fixing to look and see what else I got around here that I can have.

everybody give yourself a hug - cusssssssss you deserve it!

hugs,
cathy
Old 07-20-2004, 05:14 PM   #12  

Hi again

Cathy.....I am sitting here eating raw pea pods.
About my sister....she is like that to everyone....no one else stays with her....the family back east.....they all think there is something wrong with her....my sister Elaine thinks this sister is depressed....I think so too....maybe it's more than that.....I don't know....all I know is I won't be staying with her.

April
april99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 05:43 PM   #13  

S/C/G: H178/S170/140/135

My second visit to the physio went well. She sure is an abrupt and blunt gal. Had me near to tears before I left, but she's good at what she does. I'll see about finding my old one in fall. He used to work for her, but quit in Feb. He took his wife and one year old to Australia for 6 months and was going to open his own place when he returned this fall. So, I'll track him down then. At least I'm up and about and walking.

A friend just stopped over. She was in town today. We had been going to go out, but she just made a short visit instead... I still am pretty uncomfortable, so we will do a rain check.

April, I think you made a wise decision. Sometimes people who are dealing with depression themselves can't stand to hear about it from others, which could be why she's so abrupt with you when you even mention it. *hugs* It's not your fault. It's her own demon she has to wrestle. You've made some significant changes for yourself, and it's hard for those around us to deal with those changes sometimes. You might want to look into reading "Dance of Intimacy" or "Dance of Anger" sometime... both by Harriet Lerner. She talks about how when women make change it can affect those around us.

Heading for the floor for awhile... and my exercises/ice. If anyone told me what I'd be doing this summer, I think I would have said, "I'll skip summer, thank you"

Hope everyone's day is doing well.
JudoMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 06:23 PM   #14  

Default hi everyone

I have been working the past two days and boy has it been busy! I love it though,,,,,going out for supper with friends from work..........will touch base later............hang in there everyone!

Eliz
liz321 is offline   Reply With Quote