South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 07-20-2004, 06:57 AM   #1  

Default Time of the month and weight

Girls - When you have your period, do you weigh more? I've lost about 3lbs in 5 days on the South Beach so far, but I can't help thinking that because I've had my period exceptionaly heavy (and even more heavy than usual) for the last three days it has affected how much I weigh. Does it? And when it finishes, can I expect my weight to be a little lower? I'm aiming for another 2 lbs this week
Old 07-20-2004, 08:51 AM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Once again, remember we are not medical advisers. Check it with your doctor.
At 13, your periods could be erratic for many reasons.
Old 07-20-2004, 08:56 AM   #3  
Live, Laugh, Love

Height: 5'3"

I assume during your period you're going to weigh more, due to excess water weight from being bloated and what not. My period has been HORRENDOUS since I started SBD! WAY heavier than usual, lasting longer than usual.....I feel like I'm going to bleed out. My mother is a registered nurse, and I've been talking with her about it. She says she was like that every once in awhile back when she was having periods, and that I'm just like my mother. She says just to keep an eye on it, but it's starting to drive me NUTS. I don't like this 2 week long period stuff, with straight HEAVY bleeding for a week. I hhhhaaaaaaatttttttteeeeeeee going to the doctor, but if it continues much longer, I may have to. I don't know if SBD started it back up or what. I was almost done with my period, so I thought, and then WHAMMO! And it's been whammo ever since.
Old 07-20-2004, 09:00 AM   #4  

Awww, weezle I feel so bad for you! Mine normally only last for about 3 days, but it's been about 3/4 days already, and it's at it's peak. So it will probably last for another few days. I used to suffer from seriously heavy periods, going on for a week and a half, mostly. Sometimes even two in a month! So my Doc put me on the pill, and they've been lasting for 3 days or so ever since for about half a year. But this one's different. I've had lots of medication to take this month: anti depressants, the pill, hayfever medicine, as well as my regular insulin intake.. and so i've basiclly forgotten to take a few days worth of the pill. But I've forgotten before, and it's never been this bad. So yeah, I think it is the diet. But that's okay, I just hope it really is water weight that's not shedding!
Old 07-20-2004, 10:33 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

How long have you been on the pill? In some women, the pill tends to cause weight gain, but not everyone experiences this. http://www.goaskalice.columbia.edu/0344.html

And many anti-depressents can also affect your relationship with food, which can cause you to gain weight.
http://www.ccjm.org/pdffiles/Deshmuhk703.pdf
"Managing Weight Gain as a Side Effect of Anti-Depressant therapy"

Has the same doctor prescribed everything? Or have you told your doctor all the other medications you are taking?

I am not suggesting you stop taking any of your medications. I do suggest that you speak with your doctor about all of them and see what he says. Does your doctor think you need to lose weight? Does your doctor think you have stopped growing?

You may have abnormal periods for a little bit while your body is adjusting to this way of eating, something about estrogen binding to fat and when you lose the fat you have more circulating estrogen in your body. My GYN said something abut it and told me not to worry about it, if it didn't straighten out he would adjust my birth control pills.
Old 07-20-2004, 10:45 AM   #6  

I've been on the pill for about a year and a half now. I was on one type for half a year, which didnt work. So I switched to my current pill, which worked. No, i was prescribed the anti depressents by a psyciatrist, but my doctor is aware I take them and renews the prescriptions for them. My Doctor does not think I need to lose weight, but he is happy with me loosing weight, but no more than a stone. Also, he thinks I have stopped growing, and any more growth is not likely, but a bonus none the less. I think I might talk to him about changing the pill, though.
Old 07-20-2004, 11:11 AM   #7  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Cobalt, you have a lot going on with you medically, and need to discuss a lot of this with your doctor. Trust him. If he thinks that you do not need to lose weight...listen to him, please. The weight you mention as being your goal sounds horrendously low for your height. Please be honest with yourself...if you are trying to lose weight for any reason other than that you are not healthy, you need to reevaluate. Your doctor obviously thinks your current weight is healthy...why change that?

At your age, it is very easy to feel disrupted, worried, nervous, and very unsettled. When you feel that way, you often try to grasp to something you can hold on to that you can have control over. A lot of girls grasp on to weightloss. That is so dangerous, not only right now, but for your future. I don't have a link to the information on this, but do a search on google for more info--girls who lose too much weight at your age, who start dieting at your age, often gain much more weight as they get older. From reading these forums, you know how difficult it can be for all of us to lose that weight when we are older. Please don't put yourself in that position, hon.

Cobalt, at 13, you have a wonderful life ahead of you. Grasp on to things that won't hurt you, like hobbies, sports, your family, taking care of yourself...doing what will help you feel less depressed and keep you healthy and happy. Change your hair color or paint your nails in a new style...go shopping for clothes that make you feel pretty. But don't try to diet down to a popular version of pretty. A rib cage showing beneath your thin skin is not attractive to most people. Truly.

As to periods, if you skip even one pill, you can have lots of extra bleeding, either before or after your period (spotting) or during it. Since you have skipped several, you are likely to see a lot of effects. But, as always, talk with your OB/GYN about this to make sure that everything is okay.

Weezle, your periods do sound really erratic and possibly anemia causing due to their length. Please go see your OB/GYN...find a woman if you need to, someone you can feel comfortable with, but go see someone and get your TOM under control. There is no reason you need to suffer, okay?
Closed Thread