Paganchicks - Natural beauty and aromatherapy

View Full Version : Natural beauty and aromatherapy

mauvaisroux
07-19-2004, 11:55 AM
If anyone has any suggestions or recommendations for natural health products IE. skin care products, shampoos, tea etc. they have tried please post them here.

Also if you have any herbal or aromatherapy recipes you would like to share please do so :D

Thanks,
Mauvaisroux

mauvaisroux
07-19-2004, 12:00 PM
3 drops rosewood oil
1 drop rose oil
1 drop German chamomile oil
1 drop marjoram oil
2 drops sandalwood oil
2 drops clary sage oil

Blend all oils together in a small bowl and then add the mixture to slightly cooled bathwater.(* Note -very hot water makes essential oils evaporate too quickly.)

This mixture can be stored in a glass jar, preferably coloured, in a cool, dark place for several months.

mauvaisroux
07-21-2004, 04:43 PM
Ingredients:

10-15 drops of Lavender oil
1 1/2 cups of water

Fill a spray pump bottle or plant mister with the water and then add the lavender oil. Shake to mix.

Spray sheets, pillowcases or bedding with a light mist just going to bed- creates a calming effect. :cloud9:

mauvaisroux
07-21-2004, 05:01 PM
Ingredients:

4 oz. of distilled water
8-10 drops of essential oils (fragrance of your choice)

Mix together in a spray bottle. Spray face and neck being careful not to spray into eye area (closing eyes would be a good idea).

mauvaisroux
03-30-2005, 04:07 PM
Nourishing Milk Bath

1. Add on quart (1 liter) of milk to a tub half full of warm water.
2. 2. slip in and relax for 10 to 20 minutes.
3. Rinse with cool water.
4. Towel dry by patting skin.

mauvaisroux
03-30-2005, 04:10 PM

This recipe is similar to those you might be treated with in a spa salon.
Prepare it in a large, 3 pound (1 kilogram) coffee can so you can dip your entire hand in to and elbows too. If you don’t want to make that much, prepare a smaller amount and apply to the hands by paintbrush. Wax treatments help skin absorb moisture and are helpful for dry hands.

24 ounces (678 g) paraffin wax
4 ounces (113 g) Beeswax
1 Cup (250 ml) apricot Kernel Oil
20 drops Vitamin E oil
8 drops Frankincense Essential Oil
8 drops Lavender Essential Oil.
Yield: 12 Hand Treatments.

To Make:
1. In a double boiler, melt waxes and apricot Kernel Oil on low eat.
2. Once melted, remove from heat and pour the wax mixture in to a clean, large coffee can. Be sure can does not have sharp edges!
3. Add the Vitamin E oil and Essential Oils and stir well with spoon.

To Use:

1. First apply your favorite hand cream, thoroughly and liberally, massaging the cream in to your hands.

2. While the wax is still warm but not too hot, dip one hand and then the other in to the wax.

3. Allow the wax to air cool and harden approx 20 minutes.
4. Gently peel off the paraffin and discard.

5. Note: You can store the leftover wax right in the coffee can by placing the lid on it, but be sure to use it with in a year. To use again, reheat and melt in a water bath.

You may choose to add more Vitamin E and Essential Oils as they dissipate with reheating.

Great for winter weathered hands! :)

mauvaisroux
03-30-2005, 04:13 PM
Ingredients:
1 Egg White.
1 Cotton Ball

Yield: 1 Treatment.

To Make:
Crack the egg and remove the yolk. Place the egg white in a small bowl.
Using a small whisk or a fork beat the egg white to “just before” it forms soft peaks.

To Use:

1. Dab the egg white in a crescent shape around the eye, along the cheekbone and the outer eye area.
2. Allow to sit for 10 minutes.
3. Spritz the egg white with water.
4. Using cool water on a cotton ball, gently remove the egg residue from your skin.

Not a cure all for wrinkles but does firm up this area on a temporary basis and it feels good :)

mauvaisroux
03-30-2005, 04:16 PM
Ingredients:
1 cotton ball
¼ very ripe Papaya or ¼ Cup Papaya juice.

Yield: 1 Treatment.

To Make:
Pllace cut up papaya into a small bowl and mash with a potato masher or fork until the papaya turns into a mushy pulp.

To Use:
1. Lie down with a towel behind your head and your hair pulled back.
2. 2. Generously apply the mashed Papaya to your lips and surrounding area. If you are using juice, apply to a cotton ball and dab the are around lips.. (This is also great for breakout – prone areas such as the T-zone).
3. Leave on for 10 minutes.
4. Rinse with cool water.

mauvaisroux
03-30-2005, 04:18 PM

Indgredients:

1 Small Pumpkin
1 Cup (250ml) plain Yogurt
Juice from 1 Lemon.

Yield: 1 Treatment

To Make:
1.Cut up the pumpkin, removing skin and scooping out pulp. Place the flesh in a pot with a small amount of water.

2.Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium and cook the pumpkin until it becomes soft enough to mash with a potato masher.

3. Remove the pot from heat, mash pumpkin, add the yogurt and lemon juice.
Use while still warm. (but not HOT!)

To Use:
1. Sit in the tub or shower and slather the warm pumpkin mixture all over your dry body and hair too – if you like.
2. Rest in tub with mixture on your body for 10 minutes.
3. Shower in warm water to rinse off pumpkin mixture.
4. Towel dry by patting skin.

Mel
03-30-2005, 09:49 PM
LOL! I should have read the title of the thread. I read the Pumpkin Slather and thought that was waaaay too much pumpkin for 1 cup of yogurt, but if I added some protein powder that would make a pretty good concoction! :lol:

Mel

mauvaisroux
05-09-2005, 02:47 PM
:lol: You're suppose to wear it not eat it Mel! :rolleyes:

mauvaisroux
09-28-2005, 09:07 PM
If you have anything to add please do. I am always looking for natural recipes to try out :)

flower
09-28-2005, 09:35 PM
This is a cool thread. I will see if I can add to this. I have a real sudden urge for a soak in the tub!

deleted2
10-02-2005, 09:10 AM
Excuse me, but maybe you meant 'crow's' feet? I have to admit I puzzled over cow's feet for a while! :lol:

I remember the first time I saw the first hint of crow's feet around my eyes and I was overtaken by a feeling of tenderness for my old dear body, that it was changing.

I have a nice quick wake-up tip for you. Stopper the tub and let a little hot water in, then add a few drops of rosemary oil to the water and take your shower and breathe deep. Wonderful way to start the day!

mauvaisroux
10-03-2005, 02:17 PM
Whoops! :rofl: That was supposed to be crow's feet! I changed it.

MaggieShines
11-29-2005, 03:28 PM
Hi, all... I recently ran out of my St. Ive's Apricot Scrub as I was about to hop in the tub to prepare for a "hot date." :o No way was I going out to the store, but I really wanted to exfoliate, so it was off to the kitchen for me. Here's what I came up with: I put some regular sugar in a bowl and add a few drops each of almond extract and vanilla extract. Then I added some safflower oil (mine wasn't from the grocey store; it's the oil I use as a base for potions and such, which I got from Bath & Body works, but I think it's the same). Then I mixed it all up. Right before I was ready to use it, I added a very little bit of water just to make it more spreadable. I washed first and then used it to exfoliate my arms, legs, face, butt.... everywhere. Then I rinsed off with warm water.

I love this because it rinses away clean and leaves no grit anywhere; it smells wonderful and not at all fake; it moisturizes as it exfoliates; and it's just yummy and fun. Plus my sweetie said my skin tasted vaguely sweet and woodsy. Nice! Just be careful because the safflower oil can leave your tub slick, but not as bad as baby oil or some commercial oil-based soaks.

oh_surfr
02-25-2006, 08:08 PM
I was surfing around the web tonight looking at different pagan sites and happened upon this little recipe. I tried in my bath, and it's really wonderful! Enjoy!

Green Tea Bath Bag

Serves/Yields: 1 bag
Prep. Time:
Cook Time:
Category: Bath & Body
Difficulty: Easy

Introduction
The green tea leaves are a mild sloughing agent. The comfrey or calendula add a soothing touch. The result….Silky skin!
Ingredients
1 cup loose leaf green tea
1 cup calendula or comfrey
4 to 6 drops rose, lavender, ylang ylang, or bergamot essential oil (actually any favorite oil will work)

Directions
Mix all ingredients thoroughly and fill sachets made from loosely woven 100% cotton gauze (available at craft stores). Tie tops with string or ribbon. To use, hold under the running tap of a tub until tub is half full, and squeeze several times to release the fragrance. Rub the tea bag gently over your body, paying special attention to elbows and knees and any other rough spots. Allow the bag to float in the tub to add its skin-softening properties to the water.

mauvaisroux
02-25-2006, 11:38 PM
Lisa -That sounds lovely :)

mauvaisroux
03-24-2006, 01:06 PM

Ingredients
* 1/2 cup baking soda
* 1/2 cup dry milk
* 1 cup epsom salt
* 1 cup sea salt

Mix all ingredients together in a large ziploc bag.

mauvaisroux
03-24-2006, 01:07 PM
Ingredients

2 cup Epsom salts
1 cup Sea salt
4 drops of blue, 6 drops of red; makes purple
20 drops of lavender essential oil

In a large bowl mix salts first, then add the other ingredients slowly. MIX VERY WELL!

mauvaisroux
05-09-2006, 12:35 PM
Eliminate odor from your athletic or running shoes with this lemony deodorizer :)

Ingredients

½ cup baking soda
½ cup cornstarch
One storage container with cover
About 15 drops of lemon essential oil

Directions

1. Combine the baking soda and cornstarch in the container

2. Add the lemon essential oil and mix well. Cover and let it sit overnight to blend and absorb the fragrance.

3. Sprinkle some of the deodorizer (a little goes a long way) into your athletic or running shoes each night (or at least 4 hours before wearing them). Shake out shoes before putting them on.

4. Repeat once a day until shoe odor is reduced. It may take several treatments to fully eliminate odors.

BlessedBe
02-02-2007, 11:26 PM
This thread is so cool! I just became Egyptian Wicca myself, if that's what it's called. Any book suggestions for this stuff would be great. Also, know any to pull toxins from the skin? I need that bad. :p

sillymonkey
02-13-2007, 10:05 PM
I've been debating colouring my hair with Henna. I researched it eons ago, but it's been a while, so I was wondering if anyone had any experiences to share. I'd like to go brownish red. My hair is currently dark brown (though it has professional dye in it that's about 4 months old and is pretty much faded out) and is quite fine. Any tips would be hugely appreciated. Thanks!

Celastrina
06-03-2007, 08:39 PM
To pull toxins from skin you can bathe in fresh ginger and some epsom salts (about a cup for my garden tub). I use a 3-4" piece that I chop up and toss into the tub. I guess to make for easier clean up you could tie it in cheesecloth.

Another good way is green tea but it takes a bit of tea to notice a difference.

After the bath (soak 20 minutes) rinse off in a cool shower and pat dry. Use a few drops of extra virgin olive oil patted into the skin to moisturize when you are dry.

Speaking of evoo, I need to make more of my face oil. I guess that is another post though.

FairyVickie
07-29-2008, 01:44 AM
Hi gals :
Want lovely, shiny hair ?? Heat a small amount ( based on how long your hair is ) of olive or coconut oil. Add some rosemary essential oil. Can add some sage too, if you have dark hair.

Warm gently. Apply to hair and give a good scalp massage. Wrap your hair/head in a plastic bag for a mimimum of 30 minutes, but the longer the better.

Hop into the shower, and shampoo twice to rinse away completely.

Your hair will be managable, shiny and beautiful. Can do as often as you choose as completely non-toxic.

Enjoy !! :hug:

150reasons
08-06-2008, 02:23 AM
My favorite scrub in the whole world is a mix of cornmeal, honey and heavy cream. Your skin will feel so soft. Just make sure to rinse in lukewarm water. If you rinse in hot water you will smell ever so slightly of sour milk.

Hydra
09-09-2009, 03:34 AM
Simply put 2 to 4 cups of unprocessed apple cider vinegar in a very warm to hot bath.

The warm to hot water will help to loosen up your pores and the apple cider vinegar helps to restore ph to your skin and acts as a cleaning agent through your pores. I like to relax in this bath sipping a nice cup of tea, until the water goes room temperature. Very invigorating and good for your skin.

Metal Chick
09-28-2009, 09:32 PM
I use Apple Cider Vinegar on my face after a workout. I apply it with a cotton round and leave it on to burn for a few minutes before I get in the shower. It's done wonders for my skin. It's a very mild acid so it helps burn off some of the dead skin.

You may want to dilute it with water if your skin is sensitive. Some people who use this say that it actually made them break out for the first week or two THEN their skin cleared up. I never had that problem though. Be sure to wash and moisturize your face with your usual products after you use it because like I said, it burns.

MidgieMonroe
04-15-2010, 12:28 PM
Through a user named Bubbs on YouTube, I found an excelent facial routine. It's made with:

- Green Tea
- Honey
- Sugar
- Apple Cider Vinegar (preferably not distilled, but I used distilled and it's fine)

It's a facial scrub and than the stuff that tightens the skin, the word escapes me. If you search her videos on YouTube, it's very easy to find. She has a few others too like Avocado for your hair and things.

Hydra
04-15-2010, 08:54 PM
I recently had some mental/physical problems and I am recuperating. I have been simply sniff some lavender oil while I do some deep breathing....very nice and relaxing....I up few drops of the lavender oil in my hair today, again, very nice and relaxing.

SpicySiren
04-16-2010, 12:45 PM
Hyrda, lavender has worked wonders for me too in the ways of calming energy. I also use "Burts Bees Lemon Vitamin E oil." I just rub a little on my hands and use it on my face RIGHT after a shower, it feels great and is very calming and soothing! Also, it does not clog pores or anything and leaves me w/ a nice glow :)