South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 07-17-2004, 01:31 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 193.2/193.2/160

Smile Sugar alcohol?

Hi all ,
Hope everyone is having a terrific SB day. Was wondering if anyone can give me their views on sugar alcohol (good, bad, indifferent). It seems as though some products have less sugar, but then you see "sugar alcohol" content . Any comments would be greatly appreciated. TIA!

Doreen
Old 07-17-2004, 02:30 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 307/187/130

Height: 5'4"

I think sugar alcohols are bad and can't wait for the FDA to change the whole issue on whether they be counted as carbs etc... Besides they do a number on your digestive track ugghhhh!!

Michelle
Old 07-17-2004, 02:31 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 307/187/130

Height: 5'4"

oh yeah I was going to mention that more and more products are coming out that are sweetened with splenda Which isn't as harsh as the foods containing the sugar alcohols.

HTH
Michelle
Old 07-17-2004, 03:32 PM   #4  

I get nervous when I see things with sugar alcohol because of the stomach effects. Malitiol is deadly to my stomach and even Splenda has done a number on me before (though never as bad as malitol!). Some people are totally unaffected by sugar-free products though.
Old 07-17-2004, 05:09 PM   #5  

I can handle Spenda just fine but if I eat anything with sugar alcohols I have to stay near a bathroom! I avoid them now that I know what they do to me.
Old 07-17-2004, 07:13 PM   #6  
Live, Laugh, Love

Height: 5'3"

I'm still new to the whole "Sugar Alcohol" thing. I hear that it gives you the runs, but like today at Sam's, my mom and I saw these "Low-Carb" snack bars that looked FABULOUS. On the front of the box it said 4g Net Carbs, but then on the back, it said 16g carbs, 1g Fiber. My mom said it had sugar alcohol in it, but it didn't click. Do they really have fewer carbs in them, or does it just not matter since it goes through you so fast, your body doesn't have time to absorb them? I think I'll stick to my Decadent brownies!!!! They don't give me the poops. (Although something I ate last night sure made me miserable this morning.)
Old 07-18-2004, 11:22 AM   #7  

I don't really have a problem with sugar alcohols. For example, I bought a small bag of sugar free hershey mini bars. I think either 4 or 5 is considered a serving. If I have two or three, I'm fine. Anything more than that, which I tried for experimental purposes, puts me in the bathroom the next morning. I found that to be a good thing, though, because of all the constipation with this diet. Sugar alcohols seem to affect everyone differently, so unless you are experimental like me, maybe staying away from them is best.
Closed Thread