Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 07-16-2004, 01:56 PM   #1  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Default Embarassing Question (for those who were extremely overweight)

I cannot believe I'm asking this ...but I would like to know if this is common or something I should get the nerve to ask my doctor about.

When I got up to my highest weight and held it for over a year, I found that I was having problems with incontinence. The usual little leak when laughing, sneezing, etc., but every time I stood up after going to the bathroom, a bit would leak out. It seemed to be a result of my huge stomach pressing in on my bladder as I stood up. I figured this was something that would go away as I lost weight.

My stomach is at least 70% smaller now, but I'm still dealing with the little bit when I stand up after going to the bathroom. No leaking when I'm laughing or such, though. I do Kegels regularly, but they do not seem to have any effect.

Did anyone else have this problem, and if so, did it go away as you lost weight?
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 02:22 PM   #2  
Mel

Ask your doc, or your gyno. THis is a really common problem for obese womem, women who've had multiple pregnancies, large pregnancies, or who are going through menopause. Also for women who lift very heavy weights. There are a few prescription meds to help with this, also a minor surgical procedure that can be done.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 02:36 PM   #3  

Sorry, I've never experienced this but I would definitly ask my doc about it.

Beverly
boiaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 02:39 PM   #4  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Thanks, Mel. Good to know that I'm not the only one...perhaps I should wait until after I've had my babies to attempt a surgical procedure. I'm on so many darn meds that I can't imagine adding another. Seriously, thanks...it helps to know that I'm not alone with this prob!

Beverley! You have lost so much weight! GOOD FOR YOU!!! WOW! I have a bit less to lose, and wasn't so sure that it could be done, but seeing your weightloss is inspiring! When did you start working on your weight?
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 07:38 PM   #5  
Old Cackler

<raising hand here> and to make it all EXTRA exciting, i have a whomping fibroid pressing on the bladder as well...

it DOES get better, but doesn't go away completely. i found that ab crunches helped. i guess the stronger abs did something good...
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 08:14 PM   #6  
Tig
Gotta RUN!

QUEEN *I* here. I've learned a couple of things...just because I don't want to go to the doc and add once again another med and surgery?? NOT...

1. Part of my problem is caused because I drink so much water. The cure: Go Pottay more frequently. The cure is NOT to decrease liquids.
2. I piddle before I run or exercise to make sure I don't, well, piddle.
3. When I think "hmmm, I think I'll go to the Bathroom." I GO!!!! Other wise, I leak.
4. I go to the bathroom on a regular basis. At the very least every two hours, whether I think I need to or not. Because. I need to. Especially if I THINK about it. And DON'T ask me if I need to go. I do. Thanks a lot for mentioning it.
5. The nice part about going to the Restroom so regularly is that I also am washing my hands every couple of hours. How sanitary of me. How germ-free. I have a good hand lotion.
6. Did I tell you about liquids? Drinking lots of water will actually help because you will learn to appreciate your full bladder rather than try to ignore it.
7. Don't get between me and the Ladies Room. And don't try to 'CUT' in line.
Tig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 09:39 PM   #7  
Mel

You can add a new chapter to my book "Potties Across PA, DE, OH, MD, CA, and VA".
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 06:45 AM   #8  
Tig
Gotta RUN!

Default Potty Talk

This is an adult thread, right? We can potty talk?

I visited a restaurant - kinda nice, but not especially hoity-toity - it's on the inlet river near the ocean, for goodness sake, how many airs can a place put on when the tide brings in that eau du deadfishies? Any way ! The food is good.

In the bathrooms (I asked about the mens room for confirmation), this restaurant has a dozen or so terry cloth hand towels in a basket and a small wicker hamper. So my assumption is that they want me to be treated like a 'guest' and use a hand towel and then throw it into the hamper. Right?

I am always amazed at the number of people who come out of the bathroom with damp pieces of toilet paper stuck to their hands. And the amount of shredded damp toilet paper in the trash can in the bathroom. My thought is "At least they are washing their hands."

p.s.
Mel, I'll start working on Chapter 21!

Last edited by Tig; 07-18-2004 at 07:19 AM.
Tig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 05:19 PM   #9  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

I have the same problem with slight incontinence. It is not an all the time thing. I talked it over with my dr and there is medication that can help. Mostly I just try to do the things Tig recommended ie going to the bathroom more frequently. Regular trips to the bathroom will help to train your bladder. This is what they do with elderly people who have serious incontinence.
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 08:37 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 307/187/130

Height: 5'4"

I believe the term is "Stress incontinence" Which I had with both of my pregnancies at one point I was going to ask my doctor about what I should do then I found out about it! I did talk to the doc and she recommended kegel exercises they strengthen all female areas down there and you can do them anywhere lol!! Duh I just saw that you said you do kegels regularly!! Don't mind me lol
MichelleRae is offline   Reply With Quote