South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 07-16-2004, 12:41 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

Default Clothes shopping and the ever shrinking body?

So, I'm finally going to jump into the shopping ocean this weekend.

I've only bought 2 outfits since I've lost 40 pounds, but since I'm wanting to loose another 20 pounds I don't really want to spend a bunch of money on a in-between size. But I'm really falling out of my old clothes. I was a 16W and those were getting tight, seriously thinking of going up to an 18 but just couldn't do it. Now I'm in a size 12.

I found yesterday when I wore my correct size everyone noticed how much weight I had lost and said how nice I looked. Yeah! But unfortunatley I can't very well go around wearing the same 2 outfits every day until I lose more weight. Especially since they are the exact same outfit just a different color. (Hey they were on sale at the JC Penny out let store. Only $19.99 for shirt and pants.) Ughhh!!! Oh, also I'm cheap!

What do you do about clothes as you are losing?

I'm thinking of a couple pairs of pants and some interchangable shirts. My dresses and skirts seem to still fit ok, just a little big.

Sometimes I really don't like my body. I'm very short, compact and muscular so it takes a lot of weight loss for it to show up on me. Boo, hoo.
Old 07-16-2004, 01:13 PM   #2  

Sarah

Try clothes shopping at second hand stores. Here in Tucson we have a few that buy clothes from people then sell them. Lots of nice things (and lots of icky things). When I was going down the sizes (went from a size 26 to a 10-12 over three years), I bought some new things and bought some used clothes--saved a bunch of money. I also sew a little and I took in some of my favorite shirts. Also, you could scout out garage sales, people sell clothes and you never know what you might find for 25cents.

Then when you get to goal, you can buy some really nice new clothes. I usually buy stuff on sale--as I am a cheap skate when it comes to clothes. But the smaller sizes are cheaper--I buy a lot of my tops at Target--like 7.00 or less for a shirt.

Have fun clothes shopping.

Chris
Old 07-16-2004, 01:37 PM   #3  

Default I just went through a similar phase

All the compliments I got when I wore clothes the correct size is what helped get me back OP. I wanted more. And my purchases were by accident...I went into a store and was going to buy some new shorts. Had the twins with me and asked the saleslady to grab me the same shorts I was trying on (size 18) in another color. She looked right at me and said "sweetheart, you must have been wearing the wrong size clothes for a LONG time if you think you are a size 18." She made me buy everything in a size 14. I thank god for that saleslady, she changed my opinion of myself and jumpstarted my losing again.

FOR YOU needing new clothes!!

I bought a couple key items. About 3 pairs of pants and I only bought on sale. I am only working 3 days as a consultant and one day is casual Friday, so that made it easier for me. Then I went searching for bargin shirts. I actually found 2 sleeveless sweaters (I can't TELL you how long its been since I went sleeveless...) at Target for like $9 each.

I figure people will not notice I am rotating pants if I have more shirts.

Go shopping and feel good about yourself while you are doing it!!!
Old 07-16-2004, 01:42 PM   #4  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Congratulations, Sarah, on your loss!

I second the idea about rotating pants. And about feeling amazing when you are wearing the right size.

However, I'm hoping to go from a size 26/28 to a size 14 or less. I'm going to need a lot of clothes...so what I'm doing is wearing the old ones..I got a long piece of cording from the fabric store, knotted the ends, and threaded that through my belt loops as a belt to keep my pants up. Some don't have belt loops though, so eventually I think I'll just use safety pins!

Most second hand stores around here don't carry larger sizes. I'm looking forward to donating my whole wardrobe so I can change that! In the meantime, I think I'll just be taking things in. I also have some things in my closet that are smaller, and I can wear those.
Old 07-16-2004, 01:47 PM   #5  

Default I did safety pins for some time also

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachgal
I got a long piece of cording from the fabric store, knotted the ends, and threaded that through my belt loops as a belt to keep my pants up. Some don't have belt loops though, so eventually I think I'll just use safety pins!
I did belting and safety pins for quite some time. Works great as long as you are within about 2 sizes from where you started. Cause when I bought the new pants, people actually said it was my butt that looked smaller, I am sure that is because there was no way for me to safety pin the butt smaller!!
Old 07-16-2004, 03:04 PM   #6  

Well, I am spacing out my weight loss for this reason. I started in April and lost about 20 pounds and bought new summer clothes. Now I am maintaining cause I don't want to spend more money on summer clothes. I plan to get back on Phase 1 again in August, lose some more, and then go buy my new fall/winter wardrobe.
Old 07-16-2004, 03:12 PM   #7  

Height: 5'-2"

You're doing great, Sarah!!

I'm constantly dropping off stuff at the Sally Ann and then going in and buying "new" stuff. I'm wearing a "new" pair of jeans right now. $4.99
Damn, they're tight!
Old 07-16-2004, 03:57 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahyu
Now I'm in a size 12.

What do you do about clothes as you are losing?

I'm thinking of a couple pairs of pants and some interchangable shirts. My dresses and skirts seem to still fit ok, just a little big.
I'm lucky -- I was 130lbs for many years, then went down to 113lbs, then all the way up to 152. I'm at 144 now after a few weeks on SBD.

What that means is, some of my classic items -- the wide-legged black trouser... cute, tight black v-neck sweater... tailored pinstripe suit... etc. -- that I have from my 130lbs days, don't fit because they're too small right now. BUT, my closet is full of size 2's and 4's, which don't fit either!

So lucky for me, as I lose more weight, I have a full closet of clothes to slip into. My problem is stuff right now. I have one pair of work pants, one denim skirt (slightly ill-fitting), one pair of jeans and a few select blouses. I am LEAN on clothing! I wish I was lean in body right now, too.

HOWEVER... for you... I would recommend what others have suggested. Try second-hand stores and consignment shops. You can often find fashionable items (pants that have a wide leg, not tapered! That sort of thing) for a really reasonable price.

Also -- if you have some pairs of pants that you really like, in your bigger size, consider taking them to a professional tailor! I did that with about 8 pairs of really good quality pants & skirts when I went down to 115lbs. It was fantastic, because I really did have some nice skirts and stuff, but they had become too big. So I saved a ton of cash by not having to buy too many new things.
Old 07-16-2004, 04:11 PM   #9  

I have passed some of my bigger clothes on to a friend who is also losing weight but is about 20kg (45lb) heavier than I am. I fit some clothes that haven't fitted for a couple of years so I have been wearing them again but they are all casual clothes so no good for work. I have bought a couple of outfits and tend to mix and match like you do but fortunately I work from home a lot and some of my meetings are pretty casual so can get away with jeans and a good top a lot of the time. I bought a belt a few weeks ago and used it to pull in a pair of good pants for a formal event. I am wearing to death the few new things I have bought but I plan on a change of direction in my career at the end of this year so I am working towards being two sizes smaller and my goal weight when I buy some expensive work suits so I am reluctant to spend too much money now just to outgrow them and have to give them away.
Closed Thread