Closed Thread

Old 04-17-2001, 05:40 PM   #1  

I'm not sure where to put this but I was wondering if there is anyone out there with medical knowledge who could tell me how long it takes for salmonella symptoms to show up. We just ate at a restaurant. I was having a salad when I felt something unusual in my mouth. It was a piece of raw chicken! I was wondering how long I have to wait and worry before I know if I'm going to get sick.
Old 04-17-2001, 05:45 PM   #2  

Default here's what healthwise knowledgebase says

Salmonella poisoning is a form of gastroenteritis. It is the most common cause of outbreaks of foodborne disease in the United States. This bacteria may infect meat, dairy and vegetable products. Outbreaks are most common in warm weather and in children under the age of seven. Nausea, vomiting, and chills are the most common initial symptoms. These are followed by abdominal pain, diarrhea and fever which may last from five days to several weeks. The CDC estimates that there are approximately 2 to 4 million Salmonellosis cases in the United States each year.
Old 04-17-2001, 07:07 PM   #3  

Oh, how awful. Let's think positive and hope that you won't come down with anything. Here's a time estimate from www.vh.org :

What Are the Symptoms of Salmonellosis?

Symptoms of salmonellosis can appear from 6 to 72 hours after swallowing the bacteria, but usually are obvious within 24 hours. The most common symptoms are abdominal pain, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, fever, headache, and weakness.
Old 04-17-2001, 07:51 PM   #4  

Thank you, afrikando, for taking the time to write all that. I appreciate your helpful information.

Thank you, Rupertsmom. I appreciate your posting that information. I, too, am trying to hope for the best. I'm kind of taken aback by how distracted I am over this. There's nothing I can do to protect myself from S. but I can't stop thinking about it and I don't feel like doing anything I'm supposed to be doing. (I'm sure I'll get over these feelings but I can't help wondering if I'll ever be able to order salad again.)
Old 04-17-2001, 08:13 PM   #5  

Good lord, etalocohc, you must have been freaked out. Best vibes coming your way; I'm sure no sickness will ensue.

I have to ask: What did you SAY to the restaurant people!?!?!?!

And I've been meaning to commend you on your extraordinary weight loss. What are your secrets, tips and tricks for achieving this 105-pound fabulosity?

Last edited by ShakeThoseHips; 04-17-2001 at 08:16 PM.
Closed Thread