100 lb. Club - Chit chat 7/15

View Full Version : Chit chat 7/15

Sandi
07-15-2004, 04:58 PM
Hello All!!

How are you? Pretty Good here. Had a crazy week. Moved into our new offices on Tuesday and had Bunko at my house the same night. I still haven't recovered. Hoping to get some sleep this weekend.

Things have been extra crazy @ home because Jacob who has always been perfect when it comes to going to bed, has decided that he doesn't like to go to bed and it's been an ordeal. Now I know I am lucky that he has been good all this time, but the 1 hour it takes to get him to bed now is tiresome and when he makes himself throw up (once on my shirt, once in my hands) it gets a bit much!!!!! At some point he communicated that he was tired of his crib so last night we moved his mattress to the floor and it seemed better. We planned on doing the spare bedroom for his 4th birthday in October and giving him a big boy bed. (He always loved his crib, so I saw no reason to move him). Guess we'll be starting that project right away!!!

I have been so busy I haven't had much time to post! Just wanted to check in and see how everyone else is doing!

tolose85
07-15-2004, 06:06 PM
Hi Sandi!

Wow you have had some crazy times lately!! Wait until he gets a little older and keeps getting up for water or a snack in the middle of the night or decides that he would like to play video games secretly under his blankets! (I have a 9 y/o step son who loves to pull these things!). I know what you mean about sleep deprivation! It will get better. He is such a cutie pie.. Kids, they definitely have a mind of their own that's for sure! The big boy bed will be lots of fun.. I remember when we did that.. They grow up quick don't they!!

I am glad to see you here today! I was wondering where you've been!
Moving an office.. Now that's an ordeal! :) Glad that your all settled in now!

Jen
07-15-2004, 06:34 PM
Sandi - my almost 3 year old moved into his big boy bed a couple of months ago and he is just starting now to settle down with his bedtime routine. I used to be in there for at least an hour and it just made me so exhausted. Finally I had to let him cry it out a little bit, I would tell him I could only stay with him a few minutes then I had to go and make daddy's supper or some other chore. Then I'd go out the door and he would cry for a bit. If he went on for more than a minute or 2 I'd go back in and start the whole thing over again but most of the time he'd fuss for a minute and then settle down. I didn't mind him being in the crib either and he loved it, never tried to climb out at all but it was a borrowed crib and we had to give it back.

Well my life has been utter crap lately, really too much to go into right now. I'm at the point where I don't want to talk about it but something good has got to happen soon. We've had a terrible string of bad luck but thankfully we are all basically healthy. Oh yeah for those people who I was consulting about my husband's gallbladder problems, they are more or less resolved now. It has taken about 6 months for him to be back to normal.

Take care all.

missaprylj
07-16-2004, 02:02 AM
Whooo.... bad news from all sides. Good vibes to Sandi and Jen!

I sort of "blew it" today with my "on plan streak" but that's OK with me because LIFE isn't going to be a streak of 40,000,000 OP days, right? It's all the matter of cleaning it back up tomorrow, right? Right. :D

I blew all my money today shopping... I'm officially broke. That's a bit sad. I actually OWE my best friend $5. :O Whoo... I'm tired, more tomorrow!

JML
07-16-2004, 10:14 AM
I can certainly sympathize with feeling exhausted and broke this week. It's just 8 days before the wedding and we're trying to get our bills in order before we leave for our honeymoon. Boy, are weddings expensive --- and living is expensive. We are both planning and paying for our own wedding. Good news though. We found a place to live. We can move in right after returning from our honeymoon. It dovetails beautifully. I imagine this week will be pretty crazy, but I think it can all get done.

Jeanne

missaprylj
07-16-2004, 12:37 PM
Jeanne that is great!!!! Congratulations!!! Wow, that wedding is quickly approaching... make sure we get a picture!! ;) Enjoy your wedding. :grouphug:

Sandi
07-16-2004, 12:57 PM
JML!!! :D :D :D I was just thinking about you! I couldn't remember the day and I was wondering how close it was!!!!! I hope that your wedding day is everything that you always dreamed of!! can't wait to see the pics!

Ivanna B. Skinny
07-16-2004, 01:52 PM
Oooohhhhhh JML, you must be so excited!! I was a wreck the week before my wedding, but believe me, the worry and work is worth it!
------Speaking of pics, has anyone seen Gretchens new pics on the progress pic sticky? Shes gettin' hotter by the day!! :cool:

barbygirl43
07-16-2004, 05:06 PM
Sandiwe actually switched Lilly to her "big girl" bed when she was I think 16 months old and we did it at just the right time because I'm afraid she would've been climbing out of her crib within the week. She did great for that first week. Then the newness wore off and she would be up at the baby gate, screaming. We humored her for a couple of days and let her stay up later, and then sit with her until she fell asleep. Well I'd had enough of that so we just let her cry it out (we went to our bedroom to pretend we were going to sleep.) She cried at the gate for a few minutes and then crawled back in bed and went to sleep. We haven't had a problem since. (keeping fingers crossed though)

Jen I'm so sorry to hear you are having problems right now. Hopefully they will soon pass. You're in my thoughts and prayers.

Jeanne How exciting and nervewracking at the same time. You'll get through this and look back on it and wonder what all the fuss was about. Can't wait to hear how it all went.

Apryl I bet you sure had fun spending htat money though so don't beat yourself up over it. You'll get caught back up soon.

Br00klyn
07-17-2004, 02:02 AM
Sandi - Great hearing from you! I was wondering where you've been. Good luck on the Big Boy Room project! I'm sure it will be tons of fun. :) However lady, you must post more often!

Ladies - I hear ya on the being broke, but you know what I've come to the realization that money is just money... And you know what stressing over it won't get you anywhere.. So, I've learned to just enjoy life and be happy with what I've got for now!

Apryl - You're doing wonderful! 1 day off plan won't kill ya, especially when you're jumping right back on board the next day! ;)

JML - Wedding :) Ahhh, how exciting! Congrats and Good Luck!

As for me, well work work and more work.. We're broke so haven't really being doing anything very exciting... I'm starting to feel very healthy though from eating well and working out. Although, I haven't seen a major loss yet but I'm sure that will come in time.. Steve and I are going through a phase of annoying each other right now :lol: I hope that passes quickly.. Usually, its only for a couple days every few months. I guess that's a part of being in a long-term relationship. And finally, ITS HOT!! Ugh, I can't wait until next summer when I can wear what I want to wear and be more comfortable, like lying in a bathing suit at the pool.. :)

Take Care,
Celina

Jenaya
07-17-2004, 05:58 PM
Oh, I remember those days of trial and tribulation over the nightie-night routine. Sandi, what helped both my kids was music. I don't know if you have a CD player in Jacob's room but putting on a lullaby CD on low diverts the attention away and lulled my kidlets to sleep. Transitions are always tough....

Congrats on the upcoming wedding, boy that has come quickly. It is nice that you have the housing all worked out too.

Yes, Gretchen's pics are inspiring and motivational. Everyone is doing well just by continuing to focus on health!

It is wonderfully warm today and I am picking weeds (groan) and contemplating either kick boxing or going out for a nice walk when it cools off. Hope everyone has a great day!

Jenaya

297/273/170

Daners
07-17-2004, 11:53 PM
Sandi-I hope Jacob gets a new night-night routine down soon for you. It's crazy how things can change overnight with the little guys.

Apryl-No worries, you'll be back on track before you know it.

Jeanne-I'm so excited for you! Weddings are so much fun, I'm sure yours will be fabulous!

Celina-It's amazing how every good day motivates you to another, even when you don't see immediate results.

Jen-I hope things get back to normal for you soon. Glad things are going better for your husband.

As for me, it's been a crazy couple of weeks. I went on vacation with a girlfriend of mine, back to Colorado for some more whitewater rafting. I mentioned before that there was a chance that our guide might be interested in me. Well, after spending two days and an evening with him :), I'm pretty sure he is, so is my friend who was with me. He wants me to come out and let him teach me how to snowboard this winter. He noticed and remembered really tiny details of things that I did or happened the last time I was out in June, and it was his idea to hang out after we got off the river. We're not dating or anything even close, but it seems that we're both definately interested in spending more time together, which is fun.

I was thinking about the whole snowboarding thing this afternoon, when I saw the new line of winter coats at the mall. But it will be spring before they're on sale enough for me to justify buying one. So I came home and jumped online and found a Columbia jacket and snowboarding pants that coordinate for $100, last season's colors, but for over $250 off the original price, who cares. Should be here this week, can't wait to try it on!

I got home from vacation on Saturday night and Sunday morning, I headed to camp for the week, for work. Was super hot and just icky the first three days, and then not unbearable the last two. I did get out and walk between 3.5-4 miles three times during the week, and the food was not fantastic, so I didn't eat too much at meals, but we had a cheese and cracker thingy one afternoon for the adults, that was killer. But I survived without a gain, so I'll take it.

Now I'm pretty much home until either December or February. :(

JML
07-20-2004, 09:09 AM
Thanks guys!!!

It's now 4 days before the wedding. I got about 6 hours sleep last night and less than 4 hours the night before last between burning the midnight oil and early appointments. I am exhausted and very thankful I don't have an early morning appointment tomorrow morning. I had my hair trial yesterday for my updo. I left it in all day to test it's holding power. It held very, very well. I was very impressed. I'm still sorting through bills, making sure everything is taken care of before we leave, moving stuff, spackling, sanding, painting, cleaning, packing, shopping, calling people about wedding details. It's amazing the layers of things that must be done.

Still plugging away - excited for the big day!!!!

Jeanne

tolose85
07-20-2004, 09:34 AM
I can't wait to see pictures!! Congratulations again.. I bet you are terribly excited! You'll LOVE being married!

missaprylj
07-21-2004, 02:01 PM
I finally made a little web-page thing to get my "feelings out" and I do feel better already. I wanted to share it with some of the biggest influences in my life- you guys! So, here (http://apryljean.friendpages.com/) you can find all of my writing works. There aren't many now (about 6 poems) but I thought you might be interested in reading them. More and more works will be added over the months.

In weight-loss news.... I think I'm officially back OP today. :)

Jennelle
07-21-2004, 03:43 PM
Apryl -

100 Days made me cry. :(

Anymore has a really cool rap feel to it.

"just to hear a voice of someone
on the other side of crazy"...LOVE that line!

Expectations - reminds me of me at that age. I ended up just shutting down completely.

In "For Rebecca," I love the way you so eloquently laid out your independence.

The one about the dog you could probably sell to a dog lover's magazine. (I sold a poem about having a crush to a romance magazine once for $25.)

You are quite talented! What are your college plans?

SuchAPrettyFace
07-21-2004, 05:38 PM
My father was rushed to the hospital last Friday, one of his kidney cysts burst, so now he has a blood infection, coupled with mucus in his lungs, (walking pneumonia).

I visited him last night & he is the crankiest I've ever seen him. He needs a cigarette & a bacon double cheeseburger in the WORST way.

So that is where I've been, will go back tomorrow to see what the tests came up with & how he is doing otherwise.

Jeanne, congrats on the wedding. Take a deep breath & enjoy it!!! :)

Everyone else, love ya but gotta run!

missaprylj
07-21-2004, 07:42 PM
SAPF! I'm so sorry about your dad. Best wishes for the both of you.

Where/how is everyone else????

tolose85
07-21-2004, 10:05 PM
SAPF.. I wish a speedy recovery for your dad. Having a parent or any relative in the hospital is rough for everyone! Keep your chin up! We've got you in our thoughts!

Apryl chicky... How are you!!! Back OP.. Good for you! Keep up the great great work!

lessofsarahtolove
07-21-2004, 11:31 PM
SAPF, I'm so sorry to hear about your dad....I'll keep him in my prayers. :( Keep us posted, ok? :grouphug:

Jeanne, I'm exhausted just hearing about those layers! I'm pretty excited for you though.....it's been an amazing few years for you hasn't it? I'm very, very happy for you, and wish for you both a very happy, healthy life together.

Apryl, VERY glad to hear that you're back on plan, girl.......and I don't have time to look at your poems tonight, but I'm super excited that you made your writing available to us, and I will definitely be checking it out tomorrow! I think you're very wise to create this positive, artistic outlet for yourself -- great idea, and very generous of you to share this aspect of yourself with us. :grouphug:

Daners, you go being the vixen on a raft! How great that you guys had that connection, and that you will have an opportunity to follow up and build upon it! I'm happy for you!

Celina, speaking of a love connection -- I hope you and Steve are clicking a bit better now. It can be a cyclical thang, sometimes.....it's good you're not sweating it. Just concentrate on the love, is my advice. Lorraine and I don't always view things exactly the same way, and we don't always want to do the same things.......but the love is the important thing, and we're 6 years strong and counting because we never lose sight of that. And GREAT job on sticking with your plan....I'm really, really proud of you! I'm rooting for you!

Gretchen, I don't have much to say to you, except for the fact that I think you add so much to this group, and I am truly grateful for your presence here. I have found in you a very special friend and a strong kinship, and I thank my lucky stars that 3FC introduced us! :goodvibes

As for me, life is good......busy at work, with a huge project preparing for an annual Affirmative Action audit (I'm in HR, and we're a federal contractor, among other things) -- big task, lotsa details -- and all I want to do is go on vacation and play! Oh woe is me.... ;) I'm calling on my inner adult, though, and sucking it up. But that doesn't mean that I can't have 3FC minimized on my toolbar though, for easy access! ;) Lorraine (the dear partner, for those of you who haven't heard me mention her) started a new district manager job this week -- after 16 years with the same company -- so there's some frenetic energy in our house, and our poor Italian Greyhound pup, Louie, is completely distraught over his sudden solitude. And all seven (yes, 7) cats are intimidating the heck out of him now that they smell uncertainty. That's the quick-and-dirty, the long-and-the-short-of-it, the skinny (as it were) on my wacky family.

Hope everybody's doing well, staying positive, and staying ON PLAN! :yes: I'm sorry I didn't reply to everyone personally, but I'm running out of steam! :tired: Good night, you guys! :)

Br00klyn
07-22-2004, 12:28 AM
Way too tired to catch up on a CHAT with everyone... especially since these are normally my longest posts... I'll catch up tomorrow! Nighty nite! :)

Sheila53
07-22-2004, 02:08 PM
SAPF, so sorry to hear about your Dad. Hope he's feeling better soon.

Virginia was hot and steamy, but we had a great visit with friends we hadn't seen for over a decade. My daughter's wedding was nice, but stressful. She and her new husband were 100% calmer when we took them to dinner the Monday after the wedding. I'm including a photo of my daughter right before the wedding. I don't have any of me--hopefully someone will send me some. We got our fingernails done before the wedding. I've never had mine done, and I'm finding them annoying, but glamorous :) Hope they fall off soon, though.

Sandi
07-22-2004, 02:35 PM
Sheila - Your daughter is just beautiful. The photo almost made me cry. I can remember back in the day when life was full o exciting things like getting married. I am so glad you are back!! I have missed you!!!

SAPF - So sorry to hear about your dad. What's the update? how is he??

Apryl - Wow, that poetry is great!! You rock! Thank you so much for sharing with us! Did you and your best friend ever make up??? Where is pur Spain report???

JML - I will be thinking of you on Saturday!!

Hi to everyone else!! :wave:

Things here are good. Trying to stay on plan and get on with life. Better get back to work!! ;)

Jillegal
07-22-2004, 03:10 PM
Hey Sheila, great to see you back and glad to hear the wedding went off without a hitch (poor choice of words....) Your daughter certainly made a beautiful bride! Speaking of weddings, I'll be thinking of you on Saturday Jeanne and am anxious to see all the pics! Oh, and I've got a wedding coming up soon. A couple of my diet cohorts, Barb and Rochelle, are taking advantage of the change in Ontario's legislation and will be "making it legal" at City Hall. Both are following Weight Watchers - so they've promised a celebratory feast afterwards that should allow everyone to stay on plan.

Hope your dad's improving SAPF, I know it must be worriesome for you.

Very nice poems Apryl; you're a very thoughtful young woman who expresses her feelings well - these qualities will bode well in all aspects of your future (gawd, does that sound like a report card comment, or what??)

I'm on plan and feeling strong and in control. I like this feeling much more than the momentary pleasure of a candy bar and hope I can use it to gang up against the "diet demons" when they come a-visiting.

SuchAPrettyFace
07-23-2004, 03:14 AM
Aprylbaby I loved your writing!!!! You ever think about submitting one anonymously to the school paper? I was the editor of ours, I would've published one! (Jeez, not sure if you were even born then--1991/1992!!! :p )

Thanks for the well wishes everyone!!!. He's still in the hosp, they're getting his fever down, and won't let him out until tomorrow or the next day. Wish I could afford to go again, but my car is about ready to die.

The worst part is, he will have to have experimental surgery later this year to have the

****DO NOT READ THIS IF YOU ARE EATING****

kidney cysts drained. His kidneys are huge, and they are pushing on his other organs, making him not hungry, ever. Someone else we heard about had the surgery done & they removed....20 2 liter bottles FULL of fluid from the kidney cysts. So we are hoping when he has the surgery, he will have that kind of success.

So that's where we're at. I will give him another call tomorrow to see how he's doing.

I got on the scale at the hospital & it said 296. I wasn't happy about that. I've been hemming & hawing about joining a new gym, since I'm unemployed right now & can't afford it, but can I afford NOT to? I'm right where I started at the gym last summer. I've gained 20# since April if that scale is right. So I think tomorrow afternoon I'm going to go sign up.

That is one of the worst parts of my kidney disease--looking at my father & knowing that's what I have to look forward to in 18 years. Guh. My friend Daniel is trying to get me to turn vegetarian. I told him cow meat tasted too good. :lol: But 2 days a week I could handle meatless.

I sent out another 7 resumes this week & am tired of this :censored: , so tomorrow I go to apply at Kohl's Dept store, to see if i can stock shelves 3rd shift. I've applied TWICE now @ their corporate offices, no response. :mad:

Sheila, your daughter looks so beautiful!!!! I'm glad you had a good time.

Br00klyn
07-23-2004, 11:38 PM
SAPF - I'm soooo sorry to hear about everything you're going through. Stay strong and you'll get through it hun. You're in my thoughts and my love truly goes out to you and your family! Good Luck on the Job hunt, Steve just went through that a few months ago and I know how hard it can be... Stay Positive! Things WILL get better!

Sheila - That picture is absolutely beautiful! :D That's all I can say...

JML - Wow the wedding's tomorrow! Lady, you're so in my thoughts now.. Congrats and Enjoy it!

Apryl - You are very talented and thank you very much for sharing those beautiful poems..

As for me, things are pretty good, very stressful but good. Got a phone call yesterday from our insurance company and just because Steve got 1 extra speeding ticket, our car insurance is going up to $450 per month :eek: I've been shopping around and so far the cheapest is $375... Makes it tough when we're already struggling with money... But, there's always something when it comes to your finances, isn't there?

As for on plan.. I'm still really focused and going strong.. Down another 2 lbs. this week which is totally making me realize that i CAN do this and I'm :censored:ing doing it... :D Still have 1 treat per week... and I find that's more than enough. I'm loving the gym right now, its getting a little easier and today I even pushed it to 20 minutes on this one machine that I've never been able to do more than 15 mins on..

And that's about it in the world of Celina.. ;) Until next time... :wave:

missaprylj
07-24-2004, 03:23 AM
Well, gee, thanks everyone. I'm still working on the Spain report! Give me time... it's long and I don't want to leave any of the good stuff out. :D

Jennelle: I want to go to the best school that'll pay me to be there! :D I'm not sure yet what I want to study. Maybe the first four years of English, political science, history.... one of those. Then maybe law. *Or* I want to become a psychiatrist; Dr. Apryl. (Looks GOOD doesn't it??:D)

SAPF: Yeah, our school has a literary magazine every year I'm going to publish in next year! Also, I'm glad he's doing better. Best wishes for the both of you.

Celina: You are kicking butt. I'm so proud of you. YOU GO GIRL!

Sheila: Your daughter is sooooooo beautiful. Wow! wow! (No surprise though...)

Hey gals, I wonder what Jeanne (JML for the newbies:D) is up to *right now*?!!?!! I'm just so excited for her! Wedding bells are ringing today, that is great news. :D:D

anagram
07-24-2004, 06:02 AM
SAPF = so sorry to hear about your father. DH also has PDK and had two ruptures a year and a half ago. Because he's also on blood thinners for another condition, he lost so much blood, well -- things are better now.

But I know your concerns about the future. Because of the strict diet dh is on though I would recommend you not go strictly vegetarian. I'd say eat all the fruits and veggies you can now to make you as healthy as possible. His f/v servings are limited to five servings of a very restricted list. And oh does he miss his bananas and orange juice (we won't even get into the chocolate and nuts part).

His protein intake is very limited (you probably know all this stuff since your Dad has the problem) and because he is/was a finicky eater, it is sometimes difficult to come up with meals meating all the criteria. For this reason, I'd say keep a taste for various kinds of foods - you don't need to eat a lot of them but don't rule out the occasional.
He was on dialysis for four months after that episode and has been able to be off that by following this really strict regimen. He was hospitalized this month for an unrelated incident which nonetheless threw his numbers off and we're waiting now for word on whether his BUN/Creat. are coming down to where he's ok to continue this way. (I must note he's been really good about it all and an inspiration to me in my efforts to eat for health.) Obviously, I wish all the best for you and I'm hopeful medicine will continue to come up with new things so that you never need to even get to the restricted diet point.

JML - thinking of you on your big day - hope all goes well but even little imperfections lead to wonderful stories to laugh about later. Will miss you while your on that extended honeymoon.

Sheila, your daughter looks fabulous and I'll bet you did too.

KristasMom
07-24-2004, 10:57 AM
Sheila - Your daughter is gorgeous, and so is her dress, and so are her flowers, but what is most beautiful about the picture is her radiance! She just glows with happiness.
JML - hope you are feeling some of that joy at this moment - that is, if you ever read this - tonight you will be on your honeymoon and probably won't read this!

You know, all this talk about health reminds me - as much fun as the idea of being skinny is, what I'm really in the weight loss thing for is my health. The medical name for what those of us with over 100 lbs to lose is morbid obesity, and morbid means it can kill me - so I'm glad that we're talking about what's going on in our lives, rather than eating over it.
Have a good day, all, I love being here.

Sue
278/265/160
SW/CW/GW

Sheila53
07-24-2004, 04:25 PM
I've been thinking about Jeanne all day. Bet she looks absolutely beautiful today.

So, Sandi, how's your son doing with sleeping lately? My son started climbing out of his crib when he was about 18 mos. old. I tell him that he didn't sleep through the night until he was three. Now I can't get him off the couch when he comes over on Sunday to do his laundry. :)

lessofsarahtolove
07-24-2004, 11:50 PM
You know, all this talk about health reminds me - as much fun as the idea of being skinny is, what I'm really in the weight loss thing for is my health. The medical name for what those of us with over 100 lbs to lose is morbid obesity, and morbid means it can kill me - so I'm glad that we're talking about what's going on in our lives, rather than eating over it.
Have a good day, all, I love being here.

Sue

Sue, I've been thinking the same thing, and also about how there just isn't as much discussion of that here. I am very aware of the impact on my overall health of each pound I lose. I must say, in trying to head off at the pass the onset of diabetes, heart disease, and all the rest of the obesity-related disorders, I consider each pound down to be a gift straight from God! :yes:

SuchAPrettyFace
07-26-2004, 05:37 PM
Oh, I'm so glad I saw this, I was gonna PM you! :)

SAPF = so sorry to hear about your father. DH also has PDK and had two ruptures a year and a half ago. Because he's also on blood thinners for another condition, he lost so much blood, well -- things are better now.

Is he going to have the cyst drainage surgery? My stepmother is worried b/c it's experimental, but his kidneys (and liver) are so large now b/c of the cysts that they're pushing on all his other organs. He's never hungry, and lost a lot of weight. Except this little belly, which is sensitive to the touch.

Also, they told him his kidneys are functioning @ 38%. I told him that COULD NOT be right--isn't it 59% that they start talking to you about dialysis?

But I know your concerns about the future. Because of the strict diet dh is on though I would recommend you not go strictly vegetarian. I'd say eat all the fruits and veggies you can now to make you as healthy as possible. His f/v servings are limited to five servings of a very restricted list. And oh does he miss his bananas and orange juice (we won't even get into the chocolate and nuts part).

No nuts, no chocolate? YIKES! thank you for the advice on the f/v servings. :)

His protein intake is very limited (you probably know all this stuff since your Dad has the problem) and because he is/was a finicky eater, it is sometimes difficult to come up with meals meating all the criteria. For this reason, I'd say keep a taste for various kinds of foods - you don't need to eat a lot of them but don't rule out the occasional.

That's what I'm most worried about. Not being able to have my protein in the mornings. I get hungry by 10am if I don't have enough. Very frustrating.

He was on dialysis for four months after that episode and has been able to be off that by following this really strict regimen. He was hospitalized this month for an unrelated incident which nonetheless threw his numbers off and we're waiting now for word on whether his BUN/Creat. are coming down to where he's ok to continue this way. (I must note he's been really good about it all and an inspiration to me in my efforts to eat for health.) Obviously, I wish all the best for you and I'm hopeful medicine will continue to come up with new things so that you never need to even get to the restricted diet point.

Thank you, that means a lot. *hug* I am glad I have you to bounce all this info off of. That is my goal & my plan, to reduce my weight along with my protein, BUN/creatinine, sugars, HBP, etc, so that I don't have to be where your husband is, where my grandmother is, and where my father is when I am their ages.

Maybe we can start a new thread about weight loss for health? I don't think we *purposely* avoid the topic, I just think we all get sick of hearing it from our doctors & loved ones.

Sheila53
07-26-2004, 06:01 PM
I think at one time or another we've gotten into quite a few health discussions. It seemed like several folks were/are prediabetic or have a family history of it, and losing weight has really lowered their blood sugar numbers. My problem is that two of the health issues I have that I thought losing weight would help are high cholesterol and acid reflux. Losing weight has not had an effect on either, unfortunately, but I'm still glad I'm almost 75 lbs. lighter! :) I never had a problem with high blood pressure, however, it is lower than it ever was. So low that I get lightheaded if I get up too fast. I guess I'd rather have that than take HBP medication!

anagram
07-26-2004, 08:51 PM
SAPF, no, dh won't be having drainage surgery. What ruptured in his case were two nodules and it was because of pressure from a cyst. Overall, his kidneys are not overly large yet; cyst just in the wrong place. I'm not sure when they start talking dialysis but he had been put on restricted diet before this all happened and I think they said his were working at about one third normal.The situation was being controlled by diet until the rupture which caused what they described as a "heart attack of the kidneys" and that's when he needed dialysis. He's extremely lucky to have been able to go off that. Prior to the rupture, they were still unsure what his problem was - was later told they had suspected cancer. In fact, his urologist had a hard time believing the diagnosis was PKD since he didn't yet have the enlarged kidneys. But you have to trust your nephrologist, no? His is really sharp and caring and we like her partners as well so feel he's in good hands. We're waiting for his last test results (as we do all) so we can see what next may need to be adjusted dietwise.

I recall you mentioning your grandmother's transplant. dh declined to go on list.as he has other problems as well. We have a dear friend who's brother was a donor and he has done well.

Anyway, you'll appreciate how elated we are that our daughter's kidney sonogram last week showed no cysts and they tell us that if she had inherited they would have shown up by now, which also means my darling granddaughters also will should be free of early cysts. Always still a bit leery as dh's apparently didn't show up early either but I'm going to go with what they're telling us now. DS has not had sonogram yet but has no symptoms (DD has had kidney issues) and again is old enough might at least have the high bp.

Please feel free to PM me anytime. I'm far from an expert on this brainnumbing subject but I can exult w/you over a good set of numbers and pray you don't get even borderline ones.

Sheila53
07-27-2004, 05:21 PM
My sievelike memory recalls someone on this board who has a parent with Alzheimer's. Whoever you are, would you mind PMing me if you don't mind me asking you some questions? Thank you!