Closed Thread

Old 04-17-2001, 05:38 PM   #1  

Thumbs down

If you have 50 or more pounds to lose, jump on in and join us! You'll be sure to get a warm welcome.
Old 04-17-2001, 07:09 PM   #2  

Patti, a huge *congrats* on making your ten percent!! You have done so well on the program, and in record time too. Enjoy your new keychain!

Texaslady, yes, this weather is strange! We're not getting the severe weather you did, but it's nice and cool now, after a hot and humid weekend. I like your idea about roasted poblanos with the fajitas; will have to try that! And no, haven't found a housekeeper yet; we'll keep trying, though. I wish we could have gone out for our picnic too, but the weather just didn't cooperate. We'll have to shoot for the second annual reunion, then!

Janet, another tornado, how awful! I'm so glad you weren't actually *in* this one, this time, though! Have a great time bowling; haven't done that in ages, but it was always fun. I had to resist the snack bar, though, as I love hot dogs.

Carol, so glad you're feeling better: Re: asparagus, I did something different this time: I roasted it! Read that in a healthy cooking book. Sprayed lightly w/olive oil, cut in 2" pieces, 450 degree oven for 15 minutes. It really brought out the flavor! Then I combined it with an unusual multicolored pasta, fresh mushrooms sauteed w/Pam, and a light alfredo sauce made from a mix with skim milk. If I do say so myself, it was really, really good.

JOYce, congrats on your .8 loss! And it's great that you're feeling so much better. Good thing you saw your doctor!

Saara, I'm so glad you're planning your trip; can't wait to meet you. Sure hope you can make it down to Texas on your way to California! And who knows, you might still get placed in the program; sounds like they're just a little slow with it this year. With your great qualifications, they're probably just looking for the best place for you to go!

Liz, have you tried anything different for breakfast? I just thought of something: at Sam's Warehouse, they have these energy bars, 4 points, but worth it. Fast and portable!

Have to run; stayed late at the office, and dh just called wondering what we're fixing for dinner. (Easter leftovers, of course!) Hi to Rebecca, Nancy, Nancy in TC, and Kendra; have a great op Tuesday evening!
Regards,
Jan

Last edited by JanetMae; 04-18-2001 at 10:37 AM.
Old 04-18-2001, 04:09 PM   #3  

Boy, it sure is quiet in here.........

Patti - Looks like we were posting at about the same time yesterday. HUGE CONGRATS on reaching your 10%! I am doing a happy dance for you!! You are so motivated and are being so successful. Fantastic!

Jan - It got pretty chilly here last night - was only about 50 when I left the house this a.m. - and to think it was 92 just 2 days ago! Was it nippy at your place, too? But the sun is shining and I am sure it is wonderful outside right now. I guess its a good thing I don't leave the office for lunch - I would be sorely tempted to just keep on driving and not come back!

Better scoot before someone sees me posting from my workcomputer! This hump day is nearly over - the rest of the week is downhill!
Old 04-18-2001, 04:21 PM   #4  
50+ pound loser

Good Afternoon Everyone!!

Just got back from my meeting today and am very happy to say that I lost 1.4! Yeah hooray!! Everytime that dratted scale goes down, I do my happy dance! Good thing I am the first one there, usually!

Patti- YEAH HOORAY!! YEAH HOORAY!! Congrats on the 10% keychain. You are kickin' butt girl! Keep up the great work!!

Texaslady- Just got my pictures back today and I have to say that yes, I can see the difference. My face is thinning out and I am thinner across the shoulders. I just look better and I feel better, so even if I didn't see the shocking wow-me difference, I can tell that I am doing the right thing! And by comparing pictures, I can see the difference. Its been worth every minute!

Guess what? We are actually having spring weather. No lie! It is 57 degrees, sunshiny and just a beautiful day! I think we might just have some nice days. I wasn't sure for a while there, we were in the 30's the last couple days and we got into the teens at night. Now I am happy to say that most of the snow is gone and we have sunshine!! Spring has sprung...

Okay, but I better go! Hi Everybody, keep up the great work and I will talk to you all later.

Rebecca
Old 04-18-2001, 06:50 PM   #5  

Hi everyone! I hope your Wednesday was a good one.
Rebecca, congrats on the 1.4 pound loss!! I'm glad the pictures verified the results of your hard work too! Would you believe your weather is warmer than mine? We had hard frost warnings last night and again for tonight. I can't believe I actually had to bring my plants in from my patio this late in April! We'll be back in the 70's by the end of the week, though.
Joyce, way to go on the .8 loss! I'm so glad your cough is better. Just be sure not to overdo- that stuff can come back at you real quickly if you aren't careful.
Saara, Easter Sunday snow!!! There's nothing pretty about 5" of the white stuff this time of year, in my opinion! Birds and flowers- that's what I want to see! I hope you are wrong about your placement and that as Jan says they are just slow in finding the right place for you. But I'm glad that even if that doesn't work out, you plan to try to get to the states! if you do, be sure to get to the vicinity of our nation's capital so we can meet!
Patti, HOORAY for you!!! Not only 10% down, but getting there with such a big loss! No wonder you were doing the happy dance! How nice that you have such supportive coworkers- I know from personal experience what a big help that can be! And your supportive coworkers are all males, which is even beter!!
Texaslady, you sure have had some wide temperature variations in the past few days! From 90's on Sunday to 50 today! You may be right about the torso track- I know you have significant back problems yourself. I just get so frustrated about not being able to exercise or walk a lot- it makes it so hard to get this remaining 20 pounds off. And I too have been lazy about points and journalling, which is bad. Is the cranberry-apple tea what you were drinking at Jan's? I just recently tried some too and love it! And one last thing- what on earth is poblano???
Jan, thanks for the asparagus recipe- it sounds wonderful, and I printed it out! You are such a wonderful and creative cook! I never thought of roasting asparagus. What creative things did you and dh do with the Easter leftovers?

I got some cute pix of my little sweetie at Easter- after I get my copy of the ones my dd took too, I'll post a couple of them. He's growing up so fast!
I've got to run. Hi to everyone, and have a good Thursday.
Carol
Old 04-18-2001, 11:02 PM   #6  

Rebecca, 1.4, wow! That's great! Am also doing the happy dance for you ... Glad to hear that spring weather has finally arrived for y'all! Are you planning some outdoor activities now that it's warmer?

Texaslady, today was gorgeous, low 70's, nice and cool this morning for my walk. I know what you mean about playing hookey; sure wish we could have done that!

Carol, can't wait to see the pics of your sweetie from Easter; let us know when they're ready! Re: the leftovers, we did a pasta thing w/mushrooms, zucchini, diced tomato, garlic and smoked turkey; made the leftover grilled veggies into soup for lunch. I think I'd better watch portion sizes better, though, as I had a .4 gain at ww today. May have been the different scales, as I went to an out-of-town mtg, but I can't count on that. Not a huge setback, but a warning! Will start keeping a more exact journal this week.

Hi to Janet, JOYce, Saara, Liz, Patti, Nancy, Nancy in tc and Kendra!

Regards,
Jan
Old 04-19-2001, 01:19 AM   #7  
Inchworm

Hello!
Congrats Patti! 10%!! good for you. I will get mine someday, I know Iwill!
I want to see Carol's famous happy dance!

what a day I have had! and all good!
first i went to see a surgeon, I was sure that I was going to have to have some major reconstructive work done, but the surgeon disagreed with the doc who sent me there, so I will not have that done, and will go back to the other doc for another opinion. WHEW!! Major relief!
But in the midst of fearing that I would be laid up for a few weeks, I resigned from several duties...am taking a back seat role instead of leadership. I think it will be good for my health!

After I got thru there, I came home just in time to see my granddaughter arrive with her family. 6 yr old great grand is on my front page of my website this week. He was so amazed! I just scanned some photos from his trip to Disney, I want to get a couple of them on the page for him to see tomorrow. he thinks I am magic!
We've had such fun getting acquainted, it has been 4 yrs since I have seen him !! But it will not be that long again!

doing my own happy dance for a wonderful day!

please forgive me for not greeting each of you... in a rush!
~~~

Joyce

Last edited by gmalil; 04-19-2001 at 01:21 AM.
Old 04-19-2001, 10:43 PM   #8  

JOYce, what GREAT news about the second opinion! And I think the side effect of anticipating the worst, i.e. letting others carry the ball for a while, will have a great influence on your mission to become healthier. You truly need to back off from doing too much for everyone else, and focus on your own needs for a while! (Or longer! In my humble opinion, having been down that road a few times too...) I am definitely doing the happy dance for you, my friend! Let this be your year!!

Hi to everyone! Tomorrow's Friday, TGIF, but today was "So Happy It's Thursday" day I'm afraid. Stayed OP, but it wasn't easy; just one of "those" days when you feel like you're running against the wind. What was it Texaslady said, "That which does not kill me makes me stronger"? I think you said it was a line from Steel Magnolias? I need to rent that movie ...

ttyl, Jan
Old 04-20-2001, 02:28 PM   #9  

Default 50+ lbs

I am a newbie! But I had to log on & tell someone I made my 10% last night! It was 23 lbs. so it was a BIG 10%!

I would like to hear sucess stories from others who have similar lbs. to lose!
Old 04-20-2001, 03:03 PM   #10  

Hi everyone! TGIF!!
This is the weekend of my friend J's inauguration as college president, so my dd and I are looking forward to tomorrow's "hoopla"- and there is a lot of it! My son in law isn't going- babysitter plans fell through, and since the festivities are honoring my dd's godmother, she and I will attend and he and my exdh and the little guy will keep the home fires burning.Only fair- when J's son got married, I stayed home to babysit so dd and her dh could go- now it's my turn! J and I have known each other since I was 1 year old and she was two- so obviously I know her family too, and look forward to seeing them. I haven't seen her mom or her brothers for probably 25 years!
I went to Trader Joe's today after work to stock up on staples like Kashi Good Friends. Jan, I thought about you while I was there- they have so much neat, different stuff that I know you'd love and make such delicious good use of!!! Different salsas, veggies (frozen and fresh organic), baked goods, sauces, types of seafood, etc.
Hookedonstamps, welcome to our group, and big congrats on your 10%!!!Keep up the good work. Tell us a little about yourself.
Jan, I just knew you'd been creative with those Easter leftovers, and sure enough, I was right!! I'm struggling right now too with portion control- which is why I'm stuck at minus 97 pounds! But you're so close- it won't be long! Just think- when after have your surgery you will probably at least briefly be "too thin"!!!! Won't that feel wonderful!?!
Joyce, how wonderful that you don't have to go through that surgery!!! I'm so happy for you! Enjoy every minute with your great grandchild!!!
Texaslady, today was my last regular day going to Virginia, so I waved extra long and hard to you on the way! Did you see me?
Janet, dear Janet- you started this thread but haven't posted in it! Where are you, my friend? How was the bowling last weekend?
Well, there's chores to be done- gotta run. Hi to everyone I missed. I hope you all have a fantastic weekend. I'll talk to you later.
Carol
Old 04-20-2001, 05:41 PM   #11  

Hi girls & WELCOME, Hookedonstamps! We are always so pleased to have someone stop by! We hope you will hang around a while and maybe stay! Congratulations on reaching your 10%. Patti of this group reached hers this week, too!

Some of us have been around here for a while. I have lost 75 pounds over about a 2 year time period, but I have only been on this board about a year. I still have 35-40 pounds to go before I reach WW goal. Tell us a little more about yourself. We have girls on here from their 20's to their 60's - a great age group! I am 56, divorced for about 15 years, and have one daughter who is getting married in Oct. Another reason for me to get off my duff and get the scale moving downwards again!

Carol - I know that you are going to have tons of fun at your week-end! I saw you waving! It was so clear and beautiful here that it was easy to "see" you! Have a wonderful week-end and tell us all about it on your return. If you haven't seen some of these people for a long time, they probably won't recognize you now that you have lost nearly 100 pounds! I can't wait to hear about their reaction.

Jan - hope your Friday was better than Thursday! Now it is almost time for me to split from the office for the long Friday drive home. Oh well, at least I don't have to come back tomorrow! We are going to the Astros baseball game tomorrow - they are playing St. Louis. Should be a gorgeous day for baseball in the new "open" stadium. Hope you have a restful week-end - you have been really burning these past couple weeks!

Joyce - That is so terrific about your not needing the surgery! I agree with Jan and think that if you will cut back on some of your "extracurricular" activities, you will give yourself a chance to recouperate! Its hard to let go of the "reins" when you are used to holding them all by yourself! Let your friends & family help...... I know they will if you will ask them too. How's Linda? Do you see her much? When is Melissa's prom?

Gotta go and wrap up things on my desk. Everyone have a great week-end!!!!
Old 04-20-2001, 05:45 PM   #12  
Inchworm

Hi everybody!
Welcome hookedonstamps !and congratulations! My 10% will be a big one too.
I WI tomorrow, I haven't been able to check on my home scales because they got hidden behind some bunkbeds that got removed from dh's "office". DD was supposed to take them this week for her kids, but didn't have her truck, so there they sit.
I doubt that I have lost any, I have been taking antibiotics that require I eat when I take them, to avoid upset stomach. Not very condusive to being OP! this too shall pass, and back OP very soon!
Thanks Carol! I had a totally awesome time with the great grandson! what a joy he is! We both hated to part company today when they left....but agreed to be penpals. He is learning to write, so is taking it as a challenge.
The girl's plane comes in late tonight, so we are about back to normal. I'm anxious to hear about their visit with their sis in OK. They haven't called at all...I finally called them this morning, just to make sure they were coming home!
DH will start back to work on Monday. He thought he was retiring, at least for the summer, but they made an offer he couldn't refuse!

Hoping everybody has a great weekend.

bye
~~~
Joyce
Old 04-20-2001, 05:53 PM   #13  
Inchworm

Hi texaslady! We must be on the same wavelength today, posting at the same time!
Melissa's prom is on the 12th of May. they are having it an equestrian center of some sort, complete with carriage rides etc. It is the same day as the ladies tea at church, which I was going to be very busy with, now hopefully othes will be doing most of the work there, and I can help Melissa get ready, not that she will really want my help!

Linda is fine, they are on the way back to Colorado again to visit an uncle...she is a traveleing lady!

Carol I know you will have a great time at the innauguration. What fun to see old friends after so long!

bye again

~~~~~~~~
Joyce
Old 04-20-2001, 10:56 PM   #14  

Default about moi!

I hit my 10% yesterday. I weigh 213 now. I want to be 160. Seems like alot but I lost 23.2 in 8 weeks!

I am from UT. I am barely 30 with 2 kids & a dh. I am going with my parents who are also paying for my WW! What a gift...a whole new life!

I hope to find a place to share my sucess!
Old 04-21-2001, 08:24 AM   #15  

Welcome to the group, Hookedonstamps, and a huge congrats for reaching your ten percent! (Isn't that keychain nice?) Have you already noticed differences in the way you feel and the way your clothes fit? How terrific of your folks to treat you to the program; you're so right, it really is a whole new life. When I started two years ago, I was heavier than your starting point, and now I'm 163, close to goal. It's amazing how much better I feel, both physically and mentally. Hope to see you often in the posts; this is a very friendly group, very supportive, and always glad to have new members!

Carol, have a great time at the ceremonies today! What a great honor for your friend; I know you're proud of her. And you should also be proud of yourself, you know; I'll bet you look just terrific in your new outfit! Maybe you could post a picture for us?

Texaslady, looks like the weather is shaping up to be really good for your weekend plans; enjoy the game!

JOYce, good for you, hand over those reins to someone else for a while! So glad you enjoyed your visit with your little darlin'; that is so cool, that y'all will be writing each other! Good luck at your WI today!

I'm heading to San Antonio to get some med supplies for Dad; might attend a second WW mtg and shop for a some new clothes. I'm down to a few t-shirts from Sam's (medium! ) and 4 pairs of different color khakis from WalMart. The "smaller" sizes I'd had in my closet are now all too big, and my college wardrobe (last time I was this size) was all jeans anyway.

Hope everyone has a great weekend! Hi to Janet, Saara, Liz, Rebecca, Patti, both Nancies, and Kendra! Drop in and say hi; it's been a little quiet in here lately!
Regards,
Jan
Closed Thread