100 lb. Club - OMG What a Day!!!!

View Full Version : OMG What a Day!!!!

07-14-2004, 12:01 PM
Okay so I got on here yesterday morning and posted real quick on the points challenge and was slowly reading through a few of the posts while working (which is what I usually do.) Well about 10:30 or so our server goes down. Now mind you I work at a newspaper and our stories, ads, artwork, EVERYTHING is on that one server. Of course we have a backup system but guess what? The guy who set it up set our server on the backup system and had the backup going to the computer. :eek:
Well after almost 4 hours on the phone with tech support and much deliberation, we figured out I had unplugged it when trying to plug in a different keyboard into that computer and didn't notice it had a power cord. We plugged the server into my computer and it worked and everything is there. Yeah. So we turned off the server computer, plugged the backup into it and were able to get our newspapers out. Now mind you I had to work through lunch (my coworker in my dept. and I shared her crab salad and my strawberries at our desks) and worked 1 1/2 hours over so I didn't get in my exercise and had to stop and pick up fast food for dinner (I went with a Sonic chicken strip dinner because I knew the calories on it--I just couldn't have a salad after that day.)
I was planning on swimming on my lunch break but didn't quite get a break. By the time I got home I was just too tired to exercise.

Now to top it off on Monday night (I was about to post about this yesterday) Jeff starts complaining about a pain in his side. About 10 minutes later he asks me to take him to the emergency room. Now mind you this is Monday nightówrestling night and he tries not to miss wrestling and he avoids doctors like the plague. So I drove him there and we were there for about 1 1/2 hoursówhich is quick. He had blood in his urine and had to get x-rays. Let me tell you I did not know you could get an x-ray in about 2 minutes. That's all it took from the time he walked out of the x-ray room for the tech to hand him his pictures (All I could think of when I had my gall bladder attacks and was in the emergency room at a different hospital they made me wait 45 minutes for my x-rays in pain because they wouldn't give me anything until they ruled out stuff)

So they sent him home with a couple of pain pills and a sieve for him to strain his urine. It still hadn't passed this morning and he has to go back for a followup appt. tomorrow.

On top of that my uncle was diagnosed with lung cancer a week or so ago and it's not good. Mom is going to probably be the one to have to take care of him and when she called me yesterday she was very upset. She had to sign all the paperwork for hospice to come in and help him and it was his birthday. I was planning on taking the kids over when the rest of the family went over so they could be there for his b-day but because I didn't get off work until 6:30 I didn't get home until almost 7:30 and had to feed William as soon as I got there and he was ready for bed and mom and Larry live 30 minutes away.
I'll probably try and get off work a bit early today so I can take them over there. He really enjoys seeing them and his grandkids (he's only actually got to meet 2 of them) live far away.

If you made it this far, thanks for listening.

07-14-2004, 12:46 PM
Wooof Dawnyal!

Talk about it all coming at once. I'm really sorry to hear all of that bad news! Take it easy, try to go one day at a time. Best Wishes.

07-14-2004, 02:13 PM
Sounds like you did excellent with eating for all the stress you had going on. Sorry about your uncle. I lost mine to cancer a few years ago.

Keep up the good work and stay strong.

07-14-2004, 05:37 PM

I am so sorry you are having such a rough couple of days!!

I wanted to mention to you that I work for a hospice. Take comfort in knowing that your uncle will be comfortable and hopefully have an easier time through the progression of his cancer. Make sure your mom gets the support she needs from the hospice staff, especially if she continues to be upset or overwhelmed. It is not only beneficial to the patient but to the caregiver and family as well.

I will keep you and your family in my prayers.

07-14-2004, 06:08 PM
Wow! What a crazy day. Computer Tech can really do some crazy things sometimes!!!

Sorry to hear about your Uncle. You know that's why my Dad passed of in April. We had him @ home and Hospice came in. They were really great. If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me with any questions.

You did great with the stress. The stressful times are the worst.

(((HUGS))) Hope today was a better day!! ;)

07-14-2004, 08:24 PM

I'm so sorry to about all of this! You're in my thoughts! Like Apryl said, take it one day at a time... You're a strong woman!


07-14-2004, 08:41 PM
Hi Dawnyal

Sorry to hear you are having such a rough time at the moment. Why is it that technology always lets you down at the worst time possible????

Sounds like you are being very strong-minded on the eating front, despite all the stress........that is quite amazing.

I hope things calm down a little for you.....