Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 07-13-2004, 02:41 PM   #1  
Jennifer

Default Advice on "Graduating" from Machines to Free Weights

Hi, all. I'm new to the forum but have been poking around quite a bit. I'm so impressed so far. Gotta love ladies (and men, of course) who lift!!!!

I have been working out for 2 1/2 months on machines, and I have come to LOVE lifting weights. I have only lost about 12-13 pounds so far, but I can feel my body getting denser as I get stronger. I'm not worried about getting "too bulky" and have even found myself giggling a little when I see people doing a million reps with the little 2-pound vinyl-covered weights.

Anyway, I feel like the next step would be getting off the machines and into free weights (I've been reading a lot of Stumptuous.com!), but I'm sort of nervous about getting started. My question is this... how did everyone get started on free weights? Did you teach yourselves, or did you start with a trainer? Should I spring for one or two trainer sessions, just to ensure I have the proper form?

I'd appreciate any advice you have to offer. You all rock!
teapotdynamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 03:10 PM   #2  
Meg

Hi Teapot and welcome to LWL! Yep, sounds like you've been bitten by the bug too, so you're in the right place! I feel in love with weights from Day One -- I remember lying in bed the night after I tried them out for the first time and being so excited that I couldn't sleep.

Like you (and many people) I started on machines and gradually moved to free weights. Now it's probably about 80% free weights and 20% machines, but there are some great machines that I'll always use (lat pulldowns, assisted pullups, the Hammer strength machines, rear delts etc).

I had a personal trainer and I'm very glad that I did because he was a stickler for proper form. Using the right form can keep you from getting hurt and will get you tons more out of a workout than doing it wrong (with great weight and massive grunts and groans -- like too many of the guys in our weight room! ) If you can afford it, I think a trainer would be well worth your while.

There also are (at least) two exercise web sites that have little video clips of exercises and I referred back to them frequently in the beginning to be sure I was doing exercises correctly: http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html and http://www.fitsite.com/anatomy.cfm.

Be sure to join us on our weekly thread and let us know how it's going for you!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 03:48 PM   #3  
Jennifer

Default Thanks you guys!

This is all great advice. Thanks so much.

Strength training is just so great for people like me with lots of weight to lose, because it's a good way to feel results right away. I haven't even thought about skipping days at the gym, because I look forward to the weights! Cardio is another story -- it's like the necessary evil.

I can already tell that these forums are gonna help me out a bunch. I've got a lot of work to do!
Old 07-13-2004, 04:13 PM   #4  
Meg

Quote:
Strength training is just so great for people like me with lots of weight to lose, because it's a good way to feel results right away.
It was the key to me losing the weight. And keeping it off!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 05:37 PM   #5  
Jennifer

Default Didn't Mean to Make You Pass Out There :)

I know, I know... cardio is good for me. I do it, but do I have to LIKE it, too? Actually, I don't mind the stairmaster or the elliptical, but I do notice time goes by so slowwwwly during cardio. I'm also trying to work up to 45 minutes/day instead of 30, so I'm particularly sensitive on the subject ATM.

Thanks again, all! Now to find some cash for trainer sessions!
Old 07-13-2004, 09:04 PM   #6  
Mel

Late to the party as usual I agree with everything Meg and Jack said- but be very picky about a trainer and make sure that he/she knows what YOU want. Too many trainers don't take women ( unfortunately particularly overweight women) very seriously. Make sure that the trainer you pick knows that you've been working out and want to "graduate", and that you are ready for more challenges in the gym.

BTW, I'm not real partial to cardio either but I do it, too.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote