Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 07-13-2004, 08:30 AM   #1  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Wink Tuesday, July 13th Chat

Good Morning Ladies

Did wonderful eating yesterday but aunt flo is still here and I'm feeling soooo tired. The rain outside isn't helping me either lol, but we need it.

Whats new with you all ???

Boy we're missing alot of people here lately, come back everyone !!! we miss you (you know who you all are )

Gonna get some coffee

BBL
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 10:37 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 209/179/160

Height: 5'3"

GoOd MoRnInG gAnG

I am soooooooo tired! had a busy day yesterday, then had lots of company and lots of gumbo and goodies for everybody. The adults all left about 10:30, but I was still rounding up teenagers after 11:00 and trying to get them to go home. Teenagers (like men) cannot take a hint! Even when you say "ok guys its time to go home" you get "five more minutes, this game is almost over" *sigh*.

Needless to say, it was after midnight when I got to bed, so no exercise this morning. I'll get it tomorrow.

SueMarie - did you make it up at 6 to exercise this morning! you go girl! hey? can you buy roux in jars where you are at? if so, I can tell you how we make chicken gumbo here in Louisiana - just let me know if you want a recipe.

Leenie - ya'll getting rain? we finally have no rain today, but guess what, the temp will be 95 today, with a heat index of 109 - it is HOT!!! but at least its not raining!

Cin - how ya feeling girlie? isn't today your busiest day for meetings at ww?

hope everybody drops by for a minute to let us know what they are up to.

later gaters,
cathy
cathyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 12:10 PM   #3  

Guilty as charge, Not getting on my computer.
I have a torn acl so im back to my computer and not looking for a job at the moment.
Let see. I am doing great. Fallowing my food plan so far so good. Need to work on my walking. Get more steady about it.
Hi everyone.
Get caught up on what going on for sure.
Just had such a hard time siting in my house. I binge for so long in the house and in front of the computer that i just avoid these places all together. Had to months free of sugar and binge free. A month home from the hospital. and no going off my food plan. I am keep on working hard and calling for help when i feel myself slipping.
Love all you and sorry i have not been on here and keeping up with what is going on with everyone....
flower
Flower_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 12:37 PM   #4  

Good morning ladies......just dropping in to say hi.....am having coffee on the deck now.....will go back out there in a minute.

Flower.....what kind of an eating plan are you on.....how many calories?

See you later.

April
april99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 12:54 PM   #5  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Hi Tired, I mean Cathy Is it that teenagers can not take a hint or is it that they don't want to?? lol just like men.

April good to see you. How's the sleeping ?

Flower, its so nice to see you again, I hope I haven't made you feel guilty about posting here. If the computer triggers binging then by golly girl, don't sit at it. RUN!!! Just pop in every now and then to say boo !! Sorry you hurt your acl, how in the world did that happen? How's your son Anthony? Good going on being good w/the food, and don't worry the exercising will follow when your up to it and feeling good. One day/thing at a time is what I say.

I'm so busy here at work it isn't funny and I don't see the light at the end of the tunnel for quite some time.

I started induction yesterday and so far so good Its not easy for sure.

Where's the rest of the chickies?
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 01:33 PM   #6  
Oooo Silly Me!

Afternoon Ladies!

Cathyxxx – Listening to you and all that gumbo talk… you got me drooling here! You know, the last time I had really good gumbo was at AppleBee’s LOL Okie I hear you laughing… I’m not much of a seafood person, but they had some really good shrimp gumbo. That was ages ago hehehe… I gotta say Cathy… Hats off to you… I’ve read over your food logs a few times and man… I just don’t know if I could handle eating the amount of calories that you do, and I know you have to do it because of your thyroid. So I tip my hat to you! I’ve got this new software program called DietPower, and I have been eating like 1600-1800 calories before I got this program, and when I go in to tell it my current weight and my goal weight for a year, I can plug in a weight and I assumed at 350lbs now and 90-100lbs in a year would be great… the program agrees to But it told me to get down to my goal weight of 250lbs I would have to eat about 2200 calories a day and of course exercise and it was considered a low end – moderately difficult diet to do. Then when I went to 1700 calories it told me it was Extremely Difficult and that any weight I loose may be temporary. So I compromised and set it to 220lbs which says 2000 calories and is still moderately difficult on a medium scale. Okie I know I’m babbling LOL… but the point is, I think at 2000 calories and I think it’s a lot, strange and the funny thing is, I seem to be see-sawing on my weight now, if that makes sense. Well I also guess it’s because I went on vacation and when I came back everything else stayed on vacation… I need to get active again! LOL

Abought getting up… well… I got up at 6:30 a.m. but I'm telling you I just sat in bed til about 7:45... and then I just got up and plopped on the couch... maybe tomorrow I'll move up a notch and actually do something I know I said baby steps, but sheesh LOL! I did get some exercise in yesterday tho... we had the bowling league last night... they usually last between 2.5 - 3 hours (give or take) but at least it was something... I'm sitting here thinking... "okie it's 9:30 am, Kath Smith is just calling me to do some weight training (Kathy Smiths Lifting Weight to lose weight Video 1 and 2). I also hear the Walking Away The Pounds video calling me" it says " Suuuuuusannnn!! You bought me a month agggooooo... cooommme try meeee!!!" OY man, I can't believe how sluggish I am feeling...

Oh and about Roux… first off, what exactly is it and where do you think it would be in a supermarket? I’ll check mine when I go grocery shopping later this week. But I would love the recipe hehe…

Oh and about getting up at 6 am I asked James when he got home how come he didn’t wake me up on Monday and he said he did… several times. I didn’t believe him… then he told me my last words to him were “I think I bit off more than I can chew with getting up this early, and if you wake me up again I’m gonna bite you” so much for that idea huh?

Flower – hi glad to hear from you… how was that program out here in California? And yes, I to am curious like April what kind of program you are on…

Hi April! Hi Sheila!

I’m doing great ladies… other than having a hard time convincing my body to do a little activity. I’m physically here, but mentally, I’m still on vacation. I think I’m gonna go try out my new video! Yeah that’s it! I’ll let you know what happens LOL…

Catch you all later!
SueMarie301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 01:43 PM   #7  
CIN

Default Howdeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Hi Gals,
Feeling ok...............had a bad episode Sunday night but am fully recovered now..........waiting on the next opinion! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr That gets old but I am still smiling!

I am leaving early for work because the little store that buys soap from me wanted some butterflies made for a customer..so I made them and wrapped them last week. Gotta drop them off and get the $$$$.......usually I turn around and spend it in the shop before I leave! The name of the shop is "Things I like".they named it for me I think !

Hope to go swimming this week.havent al summer yet!

Sue Marie....................start somewhere..........tell yourself just 10 minutes today.many times after you start you will end up doing more............but start at 10 and increase a little daily...........no one ever really jumps up excited about it......when you DO IT and it is OVER then you are excited and it helps you think more about eating right too! You gotta move a little and get started.....thinking about it is okay in the beginning now put some action into it! You can do it!

Have a good day you all!
Cin
CIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 03:13 PM   #8  
Oooo Silly Me!

Hiya CIN... yeah, I just decided to stop thinking about it and just do it. I know that once I get into the groove or doing something it'll pick up pace and become more consistant... at least I hope so Matter of fact, I just got done doing the first video (15 minute / 1 mile) WATP tape. It seemed to so short compared to the other videos I have Richard Simmons Sweating to the Oldies #2 was like hmmm approx 45 minutes long (longer if gotta run to the potty between workouts ) and the Kathy Smith video, 47 minutes, altho there's a 20-20-7 minute break up, but I tend to do both sections and debate on the 7 minute ab section... I thinking about creating a work out journal... actually I wonder if my dietpower program has something like that... but I wanna be able to keep track of my miles per month like Cathyxxx does and sets goals for her miles. I think it's a great idea!

You take care CIN!
*huggerz*
Old 07-13-2004, 03:19 PM   #9  
Oooo Silly Me!

Hey I got a good question for everyone... who drinks green tea and just how good is it really for you? I been doing some reading, but I was more of a Chamomile (I know the spelling sucks hehehe) tea drinking and that was on rare occasions when everyone would just tick me off and I go off in a corner and do my own thing <G>

Catch you all later!
Old 07-13-2004, 03:49 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 209/179/160

Height: 5'3"

Hey Flower - so good to see ya! CONGRATS on staying on your food plan for a month - wow that's awesome!

Hey Leenie - sorry it's so busy at work. congrats for sticking to induction! I KNOW it's tough!

Hey April - so glad you get to enjoy your coffee in the peace & quiet! what type of coffee do ya'll drink up there?

Hey Cin - what did you buy today at "things I like"? sorry you had a bad time Sunday night, but so glad you are feeling better! keep us posted! hugs & prayers

Hey SueMarie - I AM SO PROUD OF YOU! you go girl. I'm glad you liked the 1 mile tape. I figured it would be easy for you if you could do the 47 minute Kathy Smith tape - that one is tough to me. I find when I'm feeling sluggish if I do just like Cin says and tell myself, "ok just 10 or 15 minutes, and then if I don't feel like it I'll stop" - we'll once I get going I'm usually fine. glad you got up and got movin like you planned! YOU ROCK!

About the journal - I picked up a regular journal book with lined blank pages, and I use a page for each day. I put the date at the top, and then I write down everything I put into my mouth. At the bottom I put a mark for every 8 oz of water that I drink and also keep up with my exercise for the day, and the totals for the month. LOL ok shoot me - I'm kind of organized! hehehe

Guess what - I finally found something today that I have been looking for ... for years. I have always know that someone with a low thyroid has a slower metabolism and required less calories then someone without a thyroid problem. Well I finally read today that it is 200 calories less. I'm not convinced that number is right for me, but I have never read that before. It was by Mary Shomon at about.com and it was calculating the number of calories you needed per day, and then it said ...

"Subtract 200 calories for your thyroid condition, an estimate to reflect the reduction in your metabolism and calorie requirements."

interesting I thought.

later gaters,
cathy
cathyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 04:00 PM   #11  
Oooo Silly Me!

Hi Cathy... you know this being home all day is driving me nuts. When I was going to work and going to school I found it to be a lot easier to keep the weight off lol. So I took up scrapbooking, now my rear end hurts from sitting so long

Nothing wrong with being organized... I am too... just every so often I forget and have to re-organize myself. I keep a journal with my diet software, but it doens't have anywhere for me to keep a journal journal like fityday has where I can just type my thoughts out. So I may just go buy a little small notepad and keep track of my miles that way...

I've been looking over the recipes here on the board... lot of yummy looking ones I wanna try hehehe... oooh! I also found my recipe of the chicken gumbo that I have. I wasn't to impressed with it, and I went back to see if it has that roux you mentioned... it doesn't I got it a few years back from 24hr fitness... let me post it...

Chicken Jambalaya

4 chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
3/4 pound ground turkey sausage
2 1/4 cups onion, chopped
2 cups celery, chopped
1 1/2 cups green onion, sliced
1/2 cup green bell pepper, chopped
1/2 cup red bell pepper, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 1/2 cups water
1 teaspoon chicken-flavored bouillon granules
1/2 teaspoon browning and seasoning sauce (i.e. liquid smoke)
1 1/4 cups long-grain rice, uncooked

Cut chicken into bite sized pieces; sprinkle with ground red and black
pepper. Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and heat over a
medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook 3-5 minutes or until lightly
browned. Remove chicken from skillet and drain on paper towels.
Wipe drippings from skillet with paper towels.

Reduce heat to medium; crumble sausage into skillet and cook until
browned. Remove sausage from skillet, drain and pat dry with paper
towels. Wipe drippings from the skillet with a paper towel.

Coat skillet with cooking spray, heat to medium-high heat. Add onion
and next 5 ingredients and sauté until tender. Add chicken, cover,
reduce heat and cook for 10 minutes. Combine water, bouillon granules
and browning sauce and stir well. Add to the chicken mixture and bring
to a boil. Stir in rice and sausage, cover and reduce heat to simmer for
20 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.

Makes 6 servings:
Serving Size: 12 ounces

Nutrients per serving:
Calories: 371
Total fat: 9 grams
Saturated fat: less than 1 gram
Cholesterol: 83 mg
Sodium: 523 mg
Carbohydrate: 41 grams
Protein: 32 grams
Dietary fiber: 3 grams

Oh hey... this says jambalaya... is that the same thing as gumbo? LOL silly me.
Old 07-13-2004, 05:59 PM   #12  

Hi again.....it has turned out to be a nice day....the sun is shining....& it's warm.

Leenie.....the sleeping is getting better. Last Wednesday was the last night I had trouble going to sleep.....so that is good. The naturopath has me on Niacinamide....a B vitamin....somehow I think I read it can help you sleep....will have to look it up. Plus I am on Melatonin.....also I am feeling good today.

Hi Sheila.

Sue.....ever since I got really depressed 3 winters ago.....I stopped exercising.....haven't started doing any yet.....I know I need to....especially now that I am feeling better.
Did I miss something Sue....why are you home all day.....I knew you were on vacation before....I thought you were working?

Cathy......we use coffee beans from Costco.....Columbian....we grind it just before the coffee is made.....it is quiet in our neighborhood.....most of the people that live around us work.

April
april99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 06:48 PM   #13  
CIN

Default an added note:

Bravo Sue Marie/////////////////////I am proud of you!

Cathy....people who journal are more successful so keep it up.yeah for organization!

I sold $20 in soaps.spent $31 in little junkie things! Ha! I think I went in the hole .or I viewed it I got $31 worth of junkie things for $10! All how you look at it! Cin
CIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 07:16 PM   #14  

Hi again
Im not really on a food plan that counts anything. Eating heathy watching my sizes mostly. Eating well balance meals. 3 times a days and on days when i feel like bingeing i have a snack. Like pretzel cottage cheese, fruit and tea.. Learning to stop when i was full is hard and eatting slow is a struggle but i keep working on it.
Anthony is doing find. He is struggle at the moment. Me and his dad are getting a devoce so that is going to be hard on him for a long time. He just die his hair red which is something he wanted to do for a while.

Radar was a very nice programs. it save my life. It work on my insides feelings and emotions and help me stop and think about things. It work was very hard and long but well worth doing. I would change going for any things in the world. it was what i needed.
Flower_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 10:18 PM   #15  
Oooo Silly Me!

Hello Ladies!

April – I work as an instructional assistant at a middle school out here in California so I’m off for the summer. I got back to work August 30th, or sometime around then. Plus the classes that I needed for school were only being offered in a 5 week course, there’s no way I could learn anything in 5 weeks…. I went from 18 weeks at the community down to 10 weeks at the university was a bit hectic… 5 weeks would probably stress me out I’ve had my boughts with depression to, but honestly, since I’ve started my job, and started talking on here and loosing some weight, I’ve been a whole lot better… strange how that goes.

CIN – yeah, the funny thing is… I thought people who weighed out their food and counted every last calories was INSANE! Now I’m doing the same thing and it’s the only thing that really seems to work for me. I hated journals, I wouldn’t even write a diary as a kid (and when I did, my sister always read it ) But it’s definitely helped me a lot! You sound like me. I started my job the last two months of the school year, got my paycheck and spent twice what I made… then I started scrap booking again.. I’m in trouble LOL! I must stop! *grins*

Flower – I’m really glad you were able to find something that made an impact in your life. I’m so proud of you and so glad you were able to get things going. I’m so tho to hear about you and your hubby and with the kid. I’m not married, but I do know it takes a toll. James divorced his wife when Brit was well… she was older when the divorce was final… but they separated a year before I met him… in the end she left him for another woman, and that sorta put a blow to his ego… The daughter was hmm… 4 at the time this happened and a few months later I came into her life. I got a few things turned around for them and now I’m working on myself… I’ve got a great job, and I’m finally loosing weight… at least so far and I’m almost done with school. My next plans are to get married. Hopefully I won’t be a fat bride… I think 2 more years, I should be okie, done with school and hopefully I’ve lost my evil twin, well at least enough of her to be happy with myself in a wedding gown. Baby Steps… that’s my method… hehehe *big hugz to you* !!!

Alright ladies… I think I’ve got to much motivation now… I did enough exercise to last me two days LOL. I just did another 15 minute WATP video and then James came home and asked if I wanted to do the weight lifting one with him. So I did a 40 minute workout with that one… I left the 7 minute abs section out heheh….

I’m gonna go soak in the shower and then we are heading out to look for a new mattress… yay! No more springs poking me in the gut! Well we not gonna buy one just yet… but at least we are looking…

You ladies take care! I want you all to know that you are a huge inspiration to me and I am sure to everyone else. Just talking to you ladies makes my day a better day!

Love…