South Beach Diet - Weekend Chat - July 10 and 11

View Full Version : Weekend Chat - July 10 and 11

Ruthxxx
07-10-2004, 08:54 AM
Good weekend morning, Beach Beauties.

As usual, I'm dashing in and out. I did not write one word on the script for tomorrow. It seemed to me I spent all day yesterday having avoidance issues. At one point I found myself sorting through 1940's hats at the Mill srorage room and imagining what I could do with them! Duh! Today I need to transport myself back to 1860 and JUST DO IT!

I hope everyone is going to have a great weekend! Mine will start about 3:30 tomorrow afternoon!

Share a coffee and your weekend plans. :cofdate:

Mamacita
07-10-2004, 08:57 AM
Good morning, Chicklets~~ :coffee:

Woke up at 5:00 and couldn't get back to sleep. Been having very vivid dreams lately. Mostly involving the ocean...weird.... :dizzy:

Yesterday afternoon at the lab, I met a lady who is from the same town in Mexico as my grandfather. (San Luis Potosi) We got to chatting and she said she'd come back next week with some pictures and things from the area. Kind of neat, getting to know more about where that part of my family came from. :)

Today we have one errand to run (getting the cars "smogged") and then we can go to the park and check it out. I'll be slathered in DEET so the mosquitoes don't carry me off.

So, what is everyone else doing this weekend? Clovey, you running out to Bath to check out the "cottage"?

Mamacita

Mamacita
07-10-2004, 09:00 AM
Ok, Ruth, we need to combine these threads...

Ruthxxx
07-10-2004, 09:36 AM
Gotcha! :lol: What does "smogging a car mean"? Hey, cool about finding old family connections!

Mamacita
07-10-2004, 10:02 AM
Getting the emissions check certificate. Don't know if you have to do that in Canada or not.

But we have to pass the check in order to register our cars every year.

M.

Barb0522
07-10-2004, 10:43 AM
I knew today was going to be busy so I got on the treadmill first thing this morning. Now I know why I don't do that! I just don't have the energy when I haven't eaten. :) That 30 was harder than the 60 last night.

My son was up by 6:30 and we got busy on invitations on the computer for his birthday next week. We have a party at 10 and then I HAVE to get his hair cut this afternoon (sheepdog look is just not in :lol: ). Then we have to be at a Frisco Roughriders ballgame by 6:30 with Cub Scouts if we want to get autographs and I THINK we will be home from that before I get paged to work tonight. I'm throwing my laptop in the car in case I get paged and I'll stop by the office near the stadium. Other than that, it is the normal laundry day. I should get out in the garden but that may have to wait until tomorrow. Maybe we can get to the pool in the afternoon. I guess we will just have to play that one by ear.

jenne1017
07-10-2004, 11:37 AM
Busy today here too ladies. I am taking the siblings to a Baltimore O's game -- should be more fun than the drama that ensued between the two of them last night (TWINS!).

I got on the scale this morning and found a nice suprise, despite no gym for a few days. Although, the three of us probably walked about 5 miles around DC yesterday. I was playing tour guide for the day. Anyway, I got on and I am at a new low! Needless to say I am thrilled and am NOT going to ruin it anytime soon == especially today while at the game. I won't eat buns, I won't be drinking anything but water and soda and I won't gorge on breakfast which I am off to right now!

Have a great weekend ladies!

sweet tooth
07-10-2004, 01:35 PM
I am busy today, also. DS's girlfriends parents are coming to visit in a week and our guest room is a disaster. DH has finished most of the renos in the room, so I must get it cleaned out, furniture put back together, linens washed and the room loaded. It promises to be a big chore today.

It is also the official birthday party day for one of the puppies...we really do spoil them too much, I guess, but it is fun. They are both soooo energetic, it provides a lot of entertainment watching them get into trouble all the time. The birthday girl has ordered hamburger muffins, c/w candles. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I took the two of them for a walk last night. We don't do that very much because it is easier to throw the frisbee from the back door and have them run the length of the acreage and back for their exercise. Does that count as time for the exercise challenge? :D

Also have to get some yard work done today. The sun is out this morning, so must get on to the grass cutting and pulling some weeds before the rain starts up again.

Hubby wants to go to a car show this afternoon, also. That will give me a couple of hours to wind down a bit. Can put my feet up and watch a movie while he is out.

Have a great weekend, everyone. Take care.

SoCalBirdLady
07-10-2004, 01:59 PM
Good morning (I guess it is already afternoon for some of you).

Still hanging in and "getting ready" to get back on SBD. Is that a major cop out or what?

Had an unexpected eye surgery earlier this week. There was a mis-communication with the MD about what the procedure would entail in terms of recovery (although I should have known based on past experience), anyway, my computer time was somewhat limited because of my vision but I did want to jump back on and "check in with the chicks".

I really appreciate the people who post weight loss numbers. As you can see, mine aren't very meaningful -- please understand that I have been off the wagon more than on. I will probably change the start date when I get serious again.

We have some outdoor planting to do today, that exercise should help. Last night dinner was pretty good -- grilled salmon with artichokes and salad. If I can just keep it up . . .

Gane
07-10-2004, 05:37 PM
Good day everyone.

I have been doing pretty good. Not completely SBD still stuck in the low carb mentality, but slowly getting there. I had my cholesterol checked last week...it was 236 eating what ever in the heck I wanted. (forgot to ask for a break down of hdl, ldl ) He wants me to get it lower with diet and excercise. Good thing I was just starting to do both on my own. I have actually excercise 3 days this week. Is there a place where I can find menus not just recipes.. I have such a hard time sometimes, I tend to get into a rut and would love some variation.

Jen

KristasMom
07-10-2004, 06:09 PM
Good afternoon, ladies!

Jenne - a new low - congrats!

Nice to meet you, BirdLady. Grilled salmon, hmmm...

I've been just shot since we went to see Mary Chapin Carpenter on Wednesday. She was wonderful, sang for like an hour and a half, and she had a 45 min opening act. Lovely voice, great old songs, loively new songs. Definitely worth the money.
Ran into a friend that I haven't seen for over a year (Ann Arbor's like that - we never go in without running into people we know), and she noticed that I've been losing weight. I haven't been on SB that long, but I lost a good lump of weight last year, and I'm down a couple of sizes since the last time she saw me. I'm a 24, which ain't slim, but that's a lot better than a 28, let me tell you!
The house is so quiet with Kid away at camp - we got a letter, she's not enjoying herself as much as she did last year - there's a new director, and some of her friends aren't there any more. She also has a strict counselor. Oh well, at 14, she may be outgrowing this - in another year or so, she can work!

I've been doing okay with Phase II - I added Kashi Puffed Grains, which only has 13 g carbs and no added sugar, one serving for the first two days. Today, I'm adding a cup of strawberries with yogurt for breakfast, and have bought some multi-grain bread, and will have one slice with a piece of tofu cheese, and freeze the rest.
Mostly, I'm working on making sure that I don't get bored with my proteins (like we bought an organic turkey breast, and will roast and store), I had fish twice, and I work on recipes a lot.
Oh, and I pack my snacks and lunch for work every day.
I'm feeling comfortable with this way of eating, although my digestive tract is still finding the whole thing pretty awful. I'm adding metamucil, but things still aren't working the way they should.

Well, take care all. Will try to write earlier.

Ruthxxx
07-10-2004, 06:43 PM
Whew! It's written and printed off. Now to learn it! Six pages and 6000 words!

I hope you are all having a better weekend than I am! Actually I really enjoy research and writing. Now if I could just learn to avoid these photo finishes.

Gane/Jen check out the following. It's for WW/SBD menus but may be of help.
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39284

skherb
07-10-2004, 06:47 PM
Hello everyone,

This weekedn is pretty laid back for me. So this being the first weekend on SBD I am expecting to be a little difficult. But I will presist. Hope everyone else has a great weekend. Don't get too hot out there Barb. I live really close to you so I am familiar with our heat. Talk to everyone later,

justjodi
07-10-2004, 11:50 PM
hello everyone!!
late night check in for me, we had a busy day. dd had 2 baseball games this afternoon won one lost one. i was only expecting to be there for one game so i didn't plan so well for lunch ended up eating some nachos with ds while we watched the game.

my back is feeling much better thank goodness, i'll keep pushing the motrin a few more days for insurance though. we went out to dinner and then rented some movies just watched 50 first dates with adam sandler cute movie, dh and the kids are watching lord of the rings, not my bag so i thought i would check in here. tomorrow is a repeat of today more baseball and hopefully some laundry if i can.

socalbirdlady- nice to see you again. stick with the mindset you will get back into the groove soon enough. any loss is impressive don't sell yourself short!!! i have been in a rut for several weeks myself but i try everyday to get started again. hang in there and you are doing the right thing checking in here. your dinner sounds great!!

ruth- so glad you got the script done best of luck to you!! i would say break a leg but i don't wanna go there!!! take care of the arm. can you find a sling that matches your period costume???

kristasmom- i have a 14 yo dd also hope yours enjoys her time at camp maybe after a few more days she will start having a better time.

jenn- great job!!! keep up the good work!!

hi gane, sweet tooth and skherb and anyone else i missed!! hope you all have a great weekend.

Gane
07-11-2004, 12:19 AM
Thanks Ruth, I am going to check it out.

jen

RNMOM
07-11-2004, 01:36 AM
Hope you are all having fun. Had a monsterous day in the ER today. It seems like motorcycle riders+hot day=bad road rash. Yeesh. Poverty is a good thing cause I can't afford those kind of toys......and the downfall would be????? Had some pretty sad stuff too. I don't know how paramedics deal with it. I told one today that he needed some critical stress debriefing. They have it for us in the ER when we've been involved in a bad trauma. This paramedic today had two really horrible incidences in the past 3 days. My heart hurts for him and hope he will get some counseling. Too often there is no one to care for the caregiver.

Ate fruit like a madwoman today, I couldn't help myself. This kind of behavior lets me know that there is no way on this green earth I would have control over sugar if I started eating it. I need to be able to relax a bit and feel like I can have a treat every once in a great while, but so far I don't trust me.

I bought one of those exercise balls and did some sit ups, I'm thinking I'll be feeling that tomorrow.

Jenne- way to go on the new low! Oh, ya, you go!

Ya'll have a great day tomorrow....and put on seatbelts, sunscreen and helmets. Remember I could be your nurse....that should scare the *(*&+ out of you. I'm known "affectionately" as the pirahna. Rhymes with my name (Tauna) :o

Ruthxxx
07-11-2004, 08:46 AM
:wave: I have the bottom half of my costume ready. If I go topless, would anyone notice? I do have some cute little doilies that I could use as pasties! :rofl:

Seriously, I am about to convert a black dress I have into a top for my bottom. It sure would have been handy to have lost 90 pounds by now so I could borrow the authentic Victorian jacket from the museum. Geez, those women were tiny. I know they laced themselves into corsets but their shoulders were about as wide as my thigh.

Have a great Sunday, chickies.

Mamacita
07-11-2004, 08:54 AM
Good morning, Chickiebabies~~

Well, had an interesting day yesterday. Went out to get the cars emission certificates. Mine passed, hubby's didn't. So, we're going to have to tinker with it some and see if we can get it to pass. Otherwise getting registration for it will be a PITA.

We decided to wait til evening to go to the new park. Glad we did, even at 7:30 it was packed to the gills. The county decided to name it Ronald Reagan Park, in honor of the late president. I thought that was nice. He was governor of CA when I was a kid and I was always impressed by him.

The park is 25 acres and only 25% of that is "developed". The rest is creekbed, or undeveloped land. The walking trails wind all over the place. Some are paved and some are just cleared spots covered with bark mulch. There are 2 acres of fenced in "dog runs" where people can take their dogs off leashes and let them run and play. Our two behaved like perfect little ladies. Didn't lunge at anyone, didn't bark or act agressively and only peed to let other dogs know they'd been by...no poopies, thank goodness! :D

RNMOM, Sounds like you had quite an exhausting weekend. So sorry! (((((HUGS)))) I could never be an EMT. I feel other people's pain too much as it is. Whenever I see motorcyclists darting in and out of traffic and they don't have any protective gear on, it really gives me the willies. I always pray that I'm not anywhere nearby when they take a tumble.

Well, today I'm going to play with dye a little more. And I've finally figured out what to do with that mess of waste silk I bought on a whim. This stuff is the nastiest when it's raw....you have to BOIL the heck out of it with detergent in order to get all the silkworm spit off the outside of it. After I card it it will be nice and silky soft.

Not a whole lot else going on today...how about you chicks?

Mamacita

Ruthxxx
07-11-2004, 09:00 AM
Silkworm spit! :yikes: Enjoy your day.....I think!

sweet tooth
07-11-2004, 10:03 AM
Good morning everyone,

Had a very laid back day yesterday, however, I have been ripping the house apart to clean. I think it is worse right now than every, but I will go back at it today and try to get it finished. Such a huge job.

Ruth - Hope everything goes well today. Such a lot of work...but in the end is worth it and lot's of fun, too.

RNMOM - You are so courageous and to be admired for working in ER. When I was young, I thought I would like to be an ER doctor. In med school, I decided that I just couldn't take that on an everyday basis - especially dealing with children and old people. My daughter has done a lot of critical incident counselling, although it is not her prime career. After 9-11, she was sent to Ground Zero to counsel the firemen and policemen,etc....she didn't talk about what happened there for many, many months afterward. She finally shared her journal with us, but doesn't talk much even yet. I was surprised that the counselling has such a devastating effect even on the counsellors.

Jenne - Congrats on the weight loss. Be good at the game. :)

Hope everyone has a terrific Sunday. Best to all.

chilichick
07-11-2004, 10:19 AM
Gosh, I have eaten a ton this weekend, I had a wedding and cookouts and a birthday party. I feel horrid. But I am not going to beat myself up over it , just refocus and cut way down for a few days.

HistoryChick
07-11-2004, 12:39 PM
Good morning everyone!!

Well I didn't do too much yesterday. I went shopping for my best friend's b-day. She's like a sister to me. I bought her the cutest pj's with this red head that says Disco Queen. My friend is a red head. I also broke down and bought myself a cd. I know I shouldn't have but I really wanted it. It's the new one from Grechen Wilson, she sings that song Redneck Woman...It's very catchy...My cousin didn't win Miss Florida USA...BUT she was in the TOP 15! She was the 1st one called! I helped my dad put a belt on his truck today....LOL he had been working on it for over an hour and got really frustrated....and was like FINE you do it! So it took me less than 10 mins to put it on there and I know nothing about trucks or cars! lol I don't think he was very happy about that LOL anyways I hope you all have a wonderful Sunday!!

KristasMom
07-11-2004, 01:00 PM
Mamacita - so you spin! I bought a bunch of that raw silk and used it on a crazyquilt as clouds on a night sky, it was awful to handle, but it is so beautiful.

RNMom - I couldn't do what you do. I did my med library internship at the VA hospital in Minneapolis - one of my co-workers was a Viet vet, and he would go out onto the wards - all the paraplegics weren't from the war, they were all motorcycle accidents!

chilichick - begin at once eating on plan, and do the best you can!

We saw the Helen Mirren/Robert Redford movie "The Clearing" last night. Mostly, we go to movies that the kid or the husband likes - I 've seen all the Lord of the Rings, X Man, Spiderman, Anchorman, etc, etc. - and I got to pick the movie myself.

Helen Mirren has the body I want to have before I die - and she had perfect rich-lady hair and clothes. She was fantastic as she tried to be perfectly calm, totally cool, while inside her heart and mind were totally in turmoil. Can you tell I'm a fan?
And Robert Redford is finally letting us see his age on screen - he's one hot old man!

Food was perfect yesterday - ate what I plan. We made a different dinner - I blanched fresh green beans, and stir fried some tofu sausage in sesame oil, then tossed the green beans in. Am I the only one who's going for stronger flavor with carbohydrates so out of my life?

Well, we're going to swim - talk later.

Sue

Barb0522
07-11-2004, 01:58 PM
Yesterday put a lot of temptation in front of me. We spent all morning at an arcade/birthday party. They only served cake and sugary drink but there was a water fountain. Then we went to Joe's Crab Shack for a late lunch. The grilled grouper was fine and I got double servings of the broccoli since they had nothing else OP but it tasted like it might have had just a touch of butter. Nothing I could see so I'm not sure.

Last night we went to the ballgame. I watched my son drink soda and eat pizza. All around me was the smell of hotdogs, nachos and lots of other stuff I resisted. I had grabbed a quick fat free hot dog in a whole wheat but before we went so I wasn't hungry but the smells were so good. Roughriders lost but it was still fun. My son had never been to a ballgame before and really enjoyed it.

I'm up a pound this morning but I know I ate okay yesterday. I think I just didn't eat enough veggies and drink enough water.

justjodi
07-11-2004, 05:52 PM
hello everyone!!

historychick good for you on the cd splurge i love gretchen wilson saw her in concert here a few weeks ago.

barb good job with the baseball food temptation!!! keep up the good work.

wow kristasmom good for you staying op. i like stronger and more unusual stuff now also i find myself mixing more spices and flavors when cooking since i've started this plan.

ruth paste away my dear i'm sure you can pull the whole outfit together!!!
hello to all you other wonderful chicks on the beach!!

we had a baseball doubleheader today dd's team won one and lost one. it was sunny all day no shade to sit in my thighs are burned. uggg what a horrible feeling. grilling chickens for dinner also making some sauteed zucchini. trying to get the laundry done and looking for some me time this evening also.

skherb
07-11-2004, 05:58 PM
Hello everyone. Hope eveybodys Saturday night was good. Ours was uneventful. But that is fine. But I must say I am so pleased with myself I went to La Hacienda( my favorite Mexican food place and did NOT HAVE EVEN ! CHIP!!!!!!! I had grilled chiken and a salad and water to drink. I was just so excited that I made it out with out going off!!

Hope everyone has a great Sunday afternnon. We are cleaning out our garage in 93 weather. MY musban is NUTS. Oh well i guess it will be a workout.

Tlak to you all later.