Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 07-09-2004, 11:16 AM   #1  

Unhappy Hello!New to this does anyone else night binge?

Hello! Just found this website, and think it's great! I've been treated for depression for years, and am only 30. I have a real weight issue. It seems like I've struggled with my weight my whole life, trying to fit in with my peers at school is where it all started, and continued through adulthood. I wasn't full blown anerexic, but close. After I got married I really put on weight, lost some, then became pregnant with my son, and sky rocketed to 210! I finally lost that weight about 4 years after the fact, and then got preganant with my daughter, I did very well with the weight gain, but since then have put on about 20 more pounds since the birth!!!! She will be 2 in Oct. I have a real problem getting up in the middle of the night numerous times binging!!!!!!! It's uncontrollable, most of the time I know I do it, and other times I don't It makes me so mad!!! Sometimes I feel like the only way I'd be able to lose the weight is to starve, or puke!!!!! I've told my dr. and he's had me on tons of different anti depressants. I went to him this past week, and he suggested therapy, which is probably what I need. He thinks I binge as an out let. I just fell so stressed, and tired of always being on a diet!!!!! I just wish I could be happy with who I am and go from there with my weight loss. Does anyone else out there do this? I really need help and support.
emiaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 01:52 AM   #2  

S/C/G: H178/S170/140/135

Height: 5'3"

Hi there, and welcome. I don't binge at night, but this is the place to come for support and encouragement. If you have somewhere to go for some therapy, it may just be the answer. It sounds as if you are feeding a real need - hunger of another type.

I wish I could suggest some books to you, or some other type of support, but hopefully someone else out there can!

Hang in!!
JudoMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 09:57 AM   #3  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

WELCOME !!

YES YES YES, I used to do this all the time, its a real problem for me. I noticed when I was dieting and I was closer to my period I would wake up several times during the night and eat, then it became a habbit. When I started to eat Low Carb, it stopped. If I was hungry before bed I would eat ckn or a hard boiled egg and sleep thru the night like a baby. I also have a 2 year old and getting up several times during the night was horrible b/c I would stuff my face while making her a bottle. Its very hard to stop but you can do it. When you wake, try to not get out of bed...also put the foods you grab first (for me it was pnut butter) some where high or what I used to do it put it in the dresser drawer by my hubby, this way if I wanted it, I'd have to wake him to get it and that was embarassing so I wouldn't. I used to eat spoonfuls of pnutbutter, prob 3000 calories in the middle of the night OY!!!

On a low carb diet your not "starving" all the time. and that was my biggest problem, eating some protein b/4 bed really helped me break my habbit of gettin up in the middle of the night. Plus it helps me sleep like a log.

Hope this helps.
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote