General Diet Plans and Questions - The Abs Diet

View Full Version : The Abs Diet

KidzRN
07-07-2004, 08:57 AM
Has anyone read the book yet? I am excited about this one..and trust me I am a huge sceptic!....it goes back to the idea of good healthy low fat ....whole foods and one meal of whatever you want a week...it is pracital and looks easy to follow...has anyone tried it?

MrsJim
07-07-2004, 10:50 AM
Well, I haven't read the book, but I did read the reviews and synopsis on Amazon just now.

Whole foods? Low fat? one treat meal a week? Sounds a lot like Body for Life to me. Actually it sounds like a lot of diets out there. Except this book is calling it the AB DIET - that's their spin on it. The South Beach Diet was also marketed as being great for 'burning off the belly fat'. Unfortunately, no diet in the world is going to target fat burning in a specific area - it's very much systemic. When I've lost weight, it's always been a matter of 'last on, first off' - I'll start losing fat from the place I most recently gained it.

However, for guys in particular (using my own husband as an example) the gut is where most of the fat is on their bods. (For me, it's always been thighs/butt/belly/boobs/arms.) As this book is written by an editor of Men's Health magazine, I'd have to say that it's probably geared more towards the guys...

If the diet is easy for you to follow and it's healthy, then you might as well go for it. To me, though, it sounds like a WHOLE LOTTA OTHER DIETS OUT THERE. Just has a catchy name, that's all! It's all about marketing ya know.

KidzRN
07-07-2004, 06:45 PM
[QUOTE=MrsJim]Well, I haven't read the book, but I did read the reviews and synopsis on Amazon just now.

Acutually I was not going to buy it because of the title and after reading it...I think that was just the catch point...it is a clear easy to read and humorous book...I would rec for anyone wanting to find a good healthy life style...and yeah I am sure it will come off the stomach as well!....it does go into blood pressure, insulin resistance and other areas of health and well being...including sex...I am pleased and fully aware that you can not burn off one area..I think that is a huge misconception...my goal is to find something that clicks with me and that I can offer to patients ...the one thing I have found in this book is the ease of eating...nothing special to prepare for busy folks and no serious limitations....I am going to give it a try and see what happens .....there are a lot worse things out there to do!!!