South Beach Diet - You should see me

View Full Version : You should see me

ellis
07-06-2004, 03:56 PM
First of all, I just did something I haven't done in 7 years. I shaved my armpits. And I'm already regretting it. It just doesn't look right under there.
I shaved because I'm about to go to my first ever aquafit class. I haven't worn a bathing suit in almost 20 years. And I'm not wearing one now. I'm wearing one of those sleeveless black one-piece shorts thingys. And I'm wearing a black sports bra and black underwear underneath just for the sake of security. I had no idea my stomach was so big. I can't even suck it in anymore. I look inutterably ridiculous. I've never seen anything like it. I tried wearing lose shorts overtop, but that just made things worse. I wonder if I could wear my shoulder bag into the water...
And what about glasses? Last time I was in the water I wore contacts. Do I take them off? Wear them? Maybe I'll jam them on top of my head in case I need them. What a mess. I'm going to be the laughing stock of the pool.

Ruthxxx
07-06-2004, 04:21 PM
You ARE not! Lots of people shave their armpits! ROFLOLPIMP!

India On The Beach
07-06-2004, 04:26 PM
I feel the same exact way you do each & every day. How about a bathing suit with a cute skirt? If you feel uncomfortable you can put a cropped T-shirt over it. Make yourself comfortable. Believe me, those gals in the pool won't be looking much different. You will not be the laughing stock of the pool. I want to cry when I hear you say that. I refuse to wear jeans until I lose the weight. I live in 98 degrees (Sarasota) & on weekends I wear skirts to go out while everyone else (in all sizes) wear shorts & slacks. I'm determined now to stick to this so I don't have to ever feel that way again. Don't wear your glasses, they'll get wet, if you have contact lenses, it should be alright to wear them as long as they don't get wet. Please let us know how you make out with your class. All the best. India.

wendyjo
07-06-2004, 04:27 PM
OK, I am fairly savvy when it comes to message board lingo (met my hubby on line, as a matter of fact), but what does "ROFLOLPIMP" mean?

LOL ellis, you should weigh yourself now cause you might have lost a few pounds of armpit hair after 7 years - ROFL!

If you have contacts wear them cause your glasses will get all splashed up.

Ruthxxx
07-06-2004, 04:32 PM
Oh, ellis, my dear! You really will be fine. Just walk into that pool pretending you are wearing a tiara and carrying a long stemmed red rose. I did that when I started aquafit a few years ago and it worked like a charm! You could also pretend that I'm walking right behind you. You will enjoy it. It's lovely to feel weightless!

clovey
07-06-2004, 04:33 PM
Ellis sweetie, you will feel the water on your limbs. Delicious. Do not forget to notice. and the less hair the more wonderful that feels.....really. Have you ever shaved your legs then put silk trousers on? If not that is one to try....but swimming will feel like that. mmmmmmmmm. Anyhow did you ever hear a tuna say 'Oh, I am too fat to go swimming today?' No, you did not.

Last time I did aqua class actually I ended up giggling my whole way through to the point that the instructer asked me to step aside as I was distracting people. I think I was having a nervous reaction.....but I could not stop laughing laughing laughing at the underwater star jumps, running sideways under water (?!) and etc etc.

And Ellis. Take your underwear off. Really. It will be ok.

ellis
07-06-2004, 04:35 PM
India, I never thought of wearing a tank over top! Thank you!... going to get one right now... it should smooth the edges down. And, yes... if I'm going to become a regular in the pool, I'd better shop around for a skirted bathing suit.

Wendy, you're right! I may have lost quite a bit shaving! :lol3:

Ruth, where's the smiley where I'm shaking my fist at you? :rofl:

ellis
07-06-2004, 04:40 PM
Oh, Clovey, it sounds lovely. :) However, I can't possibly take off my underwear. What if something happens? :D

clovey
07-06-2004, 04:42 PM
I thought that when 'something happens' that was when the knickers well and truely came off.......... :D

beachgal
07-06-2004, 05:08 PM
Ellis!!! GOOD for you for geoing to class! Water aerobics is the best! I did that even back when I was never exercising. My friend Sue and I would go and chat through the class and I didn't even know I was working out! Definitely a suit with a skirt, though be aware that the skirt often flips up when you get to running in the water, and so I often tucked the edges under my leg elastics when I got in, so it wouldn't flip up. And a tank top over it is great. But you will look amazing compared to most people in the class, so don't be worried! Go with Ruth's rose and tiara idea, and have a ball! Wish we could go together...it would be great fun! :D

BTW, when did you stop shaving your pits? You little continental girl, you! :lol3: I shave my pits every day, even in the winter. Clovey's right...things feel much better with no hair! ;) And the water is lovely, especially on a hot day! Enjoy!

dentrassi
07-06-2004, 05:56 PM
YEESH!!! AND YOU GOT DOWN ON ME WHEN I SHAVED MY PITS ABOUT A YEAR AGO!!!!
Haven't done it since either! Too itchy and burny and YUCK!!! (But the hair didn't grow back as thick either, so maybe it was worth it!!!)

LISTEN-I understand how you feel sweetie, because I feel that way a lot too. But everyone in the class is there to GET or STAY fit. I bet a lot of the other women there will be feeling the same way. Try to let go and just enjoy it!!!

MichelleRae
07-06-2004, 06:00 PM
Ellis you will be great I just know it!!! Who cares what anyone else thinks anyway!!! I wish I lived closer and I could go with you :) Did ya know I just bought a new suit, I've decided I don't care anymore and I"m gettin in the pool this summer!!! My kids won't suffer cuz I'm a fatty boombalattie lol

sweet tooth
07-06-2004, 06:05 PM
Ellis - you are soooo good with the descriptions. LOL

However, I agree with everyone else. I think that you are the only one who will notice anything. Remember, you are becoming more fit and that is way more important than what anyone else thinks of the way you look.

Like Ruth says...walk with you head held high. You deserve every bit.

P.S. Waiting to hear the description of the class...

ellis
07-06-2004, 08:19 PM
Oh, you're all soooo sweet. :cry: Thank you, girls.

God, I looked GREAT compared to some of those women! :lol3: No, that's not true. They all looked wonderful. There was only one young babe, but she smiled at me several times, so I forgave her her perfect body.

There was an absolutely enormous older woman. I think she'd been drinking previous to getting into the pool. Her bathing cap was cocked over one eye, and she looked vaguely unsteady. She was wearing a regular old bathing suit, and I figure if she can get away with it, so can I.
One elderly lady wore her big white support bra under her one-piece suit, and it was perfectly visible from the back.
There was a large young woman who kept trying to develop a personal relationship with the instructor during the class. She was crazy. She was all over the place. (My own movements were comparitively controlled.)

I worked out like crazy, and I'm hoping to be sore tomorrow. At one point, I thought I was having a heart attack, but I gamely kept at it.

India, the tank top didn't work out. It kept floating up around my neck and hitting me in the face while I was doing jumping-jacks. I ended up taking it off mid-class.

The worst part was getting out of the pool. That's when it got really messy. I flung my towel around me, and by the time I got to the showers, it was already soaked. I showered, then slopped my way to the change area. Remembered that we're supposed to dry off properly and not trail water into the change room. Too late, I was standing in this HUGE puddle of water, and slopping it around on the people either side of me who were trying to get changed for a workout in the gym. I apologized left and right, and slunk into the hair-dryer area. Thank God there was no one in there. I stood under a dryer for an eternity, then grabbed my sodden towel and shut myself in a little change booth in the corner. There's only one booth in there, and it's for losers who don't want anyone to see them in the nude. No one uses it. They just prance about butt naked.
Clovey, you were right. I should NOT have worn my underwear in there. All I had to change into was a dry pair of pale blue pants (well, they were dry until I dropped them on the floor) and a long-sleeved black shirt. I decided I'd better take off my wet underwear if I didn't want to completely embarrass myself walking to the car. I left my bra on, though. It made quite a visible mark under my otherwise dry shirt.

Oh, and Ruth, I couldn't believe it when I got out of the pool! I felt like I weighed 600 pounds!! How bizarre!
Anyhow, it was a lot of fun, and I'll do it again. I wish you'd all been there with me. It would have been a **** of a giggle to have you there. :grouphug:

Michelle, congratulations on the new suit! Pictures, please! :lol:

(Den, sorry about the shave job. I felt the need to fit in for once.)

Laurie, it's LOVELY not shaving under your arms! You get used to it after about two years. Honestly! :D

Natter
07-06-2004, 09:10 PM
Ellis, you're my heroine! I think it's wonderful that you're going top water erobics. For a suit, try www.landsend.com. Land's End has a line they call "kindest cut" suits -- made for those who choose not to flaunt the whole shebang! And their control suits are superb! Try these!
http://www.landsend.com/cd/index/fp/0,,40212,00.html?sid=8890066739251115560

http://www.landsend.com/cd/fp/prod/0,,1_2_1930_50497_98152_76599_5:view=593,00.html?C M_MERCH=PAGE_40199&sid=8890066739251115560

ellis
07-06-2004, 09:32 PM
Thank you, sweetie. :) And thanks for the links... some of those suits are great! (if only I were as smooth as my virtual model...)

KristasMom
07-06-2004, 09:59 PM
I have really mixed feelings about this thread - I'm not the only woman in the world who has done water aerobics at @ 300 lbs, so I guess I was one of those enormous women, but I'm really glad that you were able to get to the aeorobics class.
I loved my water aerobics clas - after a month, my body felt better already.
And everyone was so sweet - they noticed when I lost weight, and made positive comments. It's not a sport for anorexics, and we were all in it together.
Believe me, nobody was looking at you, they were all being too self-conscious about how THEY looked.

Sue

chick_on_the_beach
07-06-2004, 10:14 PM
Ellis - I have been doing aqua aerobics for years and there are lots of people who are overweight, pregnant or have joint/bone or muscle problems that do these classes because they are low impact. The instructors and participants are are very used to bigger women. Don't worry about what you look like, nobody can see under water anyway. People are admirable of overweight people actually trying to change their situation and I have found the staff at the pools that I go to really encouraging since I started SB Diet. I suggest that you choose swimwear that is slimming (dark colours) with a fitted bra to support you while you exercise, and chlorine resistant then bite the bullet and go for it.

Some women that are very large busted wear a sports bra under their suit, it looks a little silly and I don't wear a bra under my suit but I may come back to you in 20 years time once my bust reaches my knees and say I wish I had! Less is more, any clothing will get in the way. Best to stick to your suit and if you must, put some lycra knee length pants on (erk). This covers the cellulite if you have any and won't move around in the water. You can always tell the new ones at my class because they cover up but after awhile you feel more confident about your body and walk around in your swimsuit.

Take two towels, one to wear around you on the way to the showers and another to dry yourself. I shower and strip off my togs in the shower then dry myself and wrap up in a huge towel. This makes getting dried and dressed easier and its easier to cover up while getting changed. I also put my swimsuit on under loose fitting clothes at home then strip off and get in the pool right at the edge. I am not comfortable about stripping off in the changing rooms in front of strangers and walking around naked so for me it is the getting changed thing that is an issue.

ellis
07-06-2004, 10:15 PM
Oh, Sue, I didn't mean that the way it sounded at all. I'm so sorry if I offended you, sweetie. :(
I feel HORRIBLY fat, and seeing those women there (yes, some of them were bigger than me, but most of them were smaller) who were so gamely wearing bathing suits made me feel that I had no reason to feel ashamed of myself in one.
When I said they all looked wonderful, I meant it. I have nothing but admiration for any woman who does ANY form of exercise.
And no, I don't think they were self-conscious. They were all just having fun. I'm pretty sure I was the only stupidly self-conscious one there. :rolleyes:

ellis
07-06-2004, 10:17 PM
Chick on the Beach, thank you for the advice! I will DEFINITELY take two towels next time! :lol:

VTprop
07-07-2004, 09:21 AM
Sweetie, I used to teach aquatic classes. You will not be the laughing stock, but you need to be comfy and functional. Glasses are ok, most of these classes focus on jumping and such so if your classes are good they will work. Contacts you could lose in the pool. Just remember you are there to get fit and make yourself happy- if anyone laughs at you let me know and this rugby player will make a trip to say hello. :-)
VT

cac
ellis,

congrats on your first class - each class will get easier

cac

Barb0522
Ellis - You may have been the only self-conscious one there but remember it was your first time. I'll bet every one of them was self-conscious the first time they went. Then they all realized how much fun it was and that no one was going to be looking at them and judging them. I refuse to let my size stop me from enjoying myself at the pool or the water park. I used to be very self-conscious when I would swim laps during adult swim and I was the only adult swimming and all the kids were watching but at least I was doing something to get some exercise and my son was there to cheer me on!

Enjoy your class. I really wish I could take water aerobics again but they are all offered during the day which makes it hard when you are a working mom.

ellis
07-07-2004, 09:49 AM
Thank you, VT, cac and Barbara. :grouphug:
You're all so right. I was self-conscious the first time, but now that I know how much fun the classes are, I'm sure to feel just fine the next time. :)

beachgal
07-07-2004, 10:12 AM
Ellis, I'm so glad you liked it! :D I LOVED my water aerobics classes! I think you are totally right...once you have been doing it for a while, you will feel really secure and start wearing regular suits. I hate the getting in and out of the pool, but being in there is easy!

Instead of two towels, I took a big terry cloth robe. I wrapped that around me as soon as I exited the pool, then used my towel in the shower. Very comforting, and it wicked all the water away. :) I got one for about $20.00 (in 5X!) from Chadwicks, I think.

Hope you continue to go and enjoy, Ellis! :grouphug: And I'm certain that you looked much better than you thought you did. :goodvibes:

RNMOM
07-07-2004, 11:45 AM
You absolutely crack me up! Arm pit shaving????????????? :lol: :lol: I had no idea this thread would make me laugh and cry. Funny and sad. I think we all have some seriously raw skin when it comes to swimming suits. There isn't anything left to the imagination anymore, it's all "out there" in the "open" and it hurts. I've gotten into swimming lately and it does feel wonderful. I love what Ruth said, hold your head high and keep going for it.

As far as shaving the armpits. I thought everyone did! I think we should take a poll. Who cares who's running for president I want to know who shaves and who doesn't shave. Maybe all these years I've put my armpit through torture and really didn't need to.

Oh, were you sore after your workout? I've heard that water fitness doesn't make you sore.

Sweater Girl
07-07-2004, 08:33 PM
I remember when I first did water aerobics at 256lbs and having my abs be really sore after... It was a comfortabe place for me to start exercising since I couldn't at that point keep up with a regular aerobics class.

I saw a lot of girls/women wearing sports bras, regular bras etc. When I took that class at Univeristy it was cool, we had a mix of students and ladies (and one gentleman) from the community so it was a nice mix!

Cheers!

Ali

little chick
07-07-2004, 10:54 PM
I have never done water aerobics...... I do not like myself in a swimsuit and could not tell you the last time I felt comfy in one. ( yes I can I was in grade 12 and worked out everyday for a year and I looked great. Then I got married and had kids and have not liked my body every since. Sad but true. I am hoping that someday I can get back my willpower or whatever it is I need to really and truely exercise. I still think that some day I will just wake up and be the size that I want. As for shaving I am the Queen. I shave all the time I hate to be stubbly and I have light hairs as I am a true blonde.

beachgal
07-08-2004, 08:51 AM
Oooh, LC, did your hair grow back dark? My mom told me mine would...I have blond hair on my arms and legs, but after I started shaving my legs, a lot of the hair came back black! *shudder* yuck! It looks particularly bad on me, because it's only black in patches...if it was black all over, I'm sure it would look fine.

LC, you should try swimming some time...you feel light and buoyant and wonderful! Maybe you can try it at a friend's pool while no one is watching? Still, I'm certain you look much better than you think you do...I think your picture is gorgeous! :D

ellis
07-08-2004, 04:05 PM
See!? It's all relative! Little Chick is practically a bbq skewer, and SHE'S too embarrassed to wear a bathing suit! And when I was 128 pounds and in perfect shape, I was TERRIBLY self-conscious in one. :rolleyes:

A robe! I have a terry cloth robe, Laurie! What a great idea! A robe and TWO towels! And maybe some little water shoes...

RNMom, I'm really disappointed. I'm NOT sore! And I worked my BUTT off!! :?:
(I DO shave my legs. I have to draw the line SOMEWHERE!)

Ali, that's why I tried the water aerobics! :) I sometimes watch them from the gym above the pool when I'm working out, and I've always thought what fun they were having! And yes, such a mixture of people! Big and small, young and old, all having fun in the water. It's great because you can go at your own pace.

beachgal
07-08-2004, 04:52 PM
I never found myself sore from water aerobics, Ellis, but I could see the changes in my physique from it. It's the ultimate exercise...great cardio, great muscle builder, and you never know you are working out! Plus, you don't really sweat! And it's fun! I miss it.... wish I could afford membership to a nearby gym with a pool! We have classes at our pool at school here (should I be posting this in the poetry thread?), but they are during my work hours, so...

Ellis, you crack me up! :lol: I can totally see you walking into the gym with a huge hiking backpack full of gear. ;) I'm so glad you are into this!

Seriously, why do gyms put big windows in around the pool so everyone can watch you? They did that at both of my gyms. That was the hardest part of water aerobics, knowing all those darn people were watching....but it's too much fun not to do it. Sometimes we even went for a sauna after water aerobics...that is HEAVEN!

Yup, good point, Ellis. :yes: LC is definitely BBQ skewer material, and she's self conscious. I feel like a tiny little girl at 278.5, and another 3FCer recently posted that she got to 270 at 6' (I'm 5'11") and therefore was a huge porker. :ink: It's all relative. :goodvibes: I stick to my idea that if you feel good about yourself, you look a lot better, period. :D

ellis
07-08-2004, 07:00 PM
So, will I tone up? Because my arms and legs look like ****. One thigh is about the size of my daughter with her arms pinned to her sides. And my arms... well, ditto. And I've got major dimply stuff happening on my legs. I don't know what happened to the cool Ellis I used to know. I think she's under there somewhere. :smoking:

little chick
07-08-2004, 08:04 PM
ha ha ha a bque skewer..... did you notice my picture only shows me from the waist up. :p I do think that it is more of a head thing with me. But I do really hate my dimply thighs and butt. Which is where my problem is. :( Ever do those question things that ask you to write down all the things you like about your body? Well I always answer my nose ( which I really like) and my waist which is the tiniest thing on me and my feet which are not big and I have cute little toes. I know I am my own worst enemy, but I do love you Ellis and Beachgal you make me feel good about me. Thanks.
What is your favorite body part chicks.? Oh and I like my eyebrows because they are shaped nice. :lol:

ellis
07-08-2004, 08:29 PM
Oh, I LOVE my eyebrows. :lol3:

beachgal
07-09-2004, 03:47 PM
Hey, Brooke Shields! :lol:

Ellis, your eyebrows look GREAT on you! You have such gorgeous dark hair that your eyebrows look fantastic! My sisters, as gorgeous as they are, have bright blond hair and dark brown eyebrows...a very weird combination! ;)

Personally, I have big eyebrows, and though I get them waxed to shape them, I refuse to get those tiny eyebrows with one thin line of hair :p I hope I'm not offending anyone, but I really dislike that look! Plus, my mom did that (by plucking) all the way through the fifties, and now she has literally three eyebrow hairs, total. (2 on one side, 1 on the other). She has to pencil in her eyebrows before going anywhere or she looks permanently shocked. :lol: I do not want to end up there!

Great question, LC! I've never thought about that before. I guess I like my hair and the color of my eyes. I have a tiny waist (compared to the rest of me), and that is nice. That's about it. I am just thankful that I'm okay looking and not crazy ugly, in my eyes...but not really beautiful either. That's okay. :goodvibes:

chick_on_the_beach
07-09-2004, 05:11 PM
So, will I tone up? Because my arms and legs look like ****. One thigh is about the size of my daughter with her arms pinned to her sides. And my arms... well, ditto. And I've got major dimply stuff happening on my legs. I don't know what happened to the cool Ellis I used to know. I think she's under there somewhere. :smoking:

Yes, you will tone up! I was exhausted at the end of every class for about a month until I got a bit fitter. I noticed that I really changed shape. Unfortuantely I used to eat more after exercise so didn't lose weight as such but everyone commented on how much weight I'd lost just because I toned up all the flabby bits. When I did WW with aqua I lost a lot of weight (maybe 25 pounds) and really toned up but those carbs slipped back in. Needless to say here I am on SB Diet and sticking with it this time.

The instructors alter the programme slightly to make sure you are working all of your body. I have been going for about five years now and really love it. I go to my local YMCA so it is a real community and I have made exercise buddies within the class. I now go walking several times a week with a lady in my aqua class. One of our classes even hooks up sometimes on a Sunday for coffee at a local cafe or a game of ten pin bowling.

Eventually, I would suggest doing some walking as well. I found walking any distance difficult due to a bad back, even after years of aqua aerobics, but the last few months I have been walking most days in addition to aqua aerobics and this has really toned up my legs and bum and I feel much more active and fitter.

justjodi
07-10-2004, 11:06 PM
ellis you are gorgeous!!! what a beautiful smile!!! yes you gave nice eyebrows. my eyebrows suck. when i go through the trouble of getting them waxed they are ok but i never keep them up. when i do them myself i get all gung ho on the left one and by the time i move over to the right i loose interest (and i realize i am hurting myself) duh!! i have to say i like my forearms hands and feet the best. the fat hasn't had time to drip that far yet i guess.

MichelleRae
07-10-2004, 11:35 PM
Yes you are sooo gorgeous!!!! I think we'll be a forum of beauty queens or something ;) only we're much better cuz we're beautiful inside too and intelligent on top of all that!! Now if we aren't the total package I don't know what is ;)

ellis
07-11-2004, 05:31 PM
:lol: Thank you for the compliments, girls. I think I inherited my father's eyebrows. :lol3:

Laurie, my Mom did that with her eyebrows, too. It's so bizarre how hers never grew back in, while I'm still plucking and shaping mine. (no laughter, please... I DO pluck a little around the edges. :lol: )
And I beg to differ! You are TOO beautiful!! (see Laurie's pic in the photo album)
You're ALL beautiful women!

Chick on the Beach, thank you for answering my question! We just got back from the cottage, and I was wondering if I should bother going back to aquafit. Thanks to you, I'm GOING!! I was exhausted after the class, too, and that's a good sign! I never had to worry about toning in the past... it's just the past couple of years that I've got all crumpled looking.
You have so much fun at your Y! That's great! I've met a lot of really nice people at ours... I feel so much at home there, despite the fact that we're in "the big city".

when i do them myself i get all gung ho on the left one and by the time i move over to the right i loose interest. i have to say i like my forearms hands and feet the best. the fat hasn't had time to drip that far yet i guess.
:rofl: Jodi, you kill me. :lol3: You just kill me.

Michelle... what's your favourite body part, darling? :D

I really love the arch in my foot. Feet. I have two. Oh, and I like my shoulders.

It's so interesting how the fat sits differently on us. I'm not just talking about hips and things. I remember a girl in college who lost a lot of weight. She looked FANTASTIC, but her head was still very fat.
And it's bizarre how some of us retain our little thin hands and feet while the rest of us balloons up. (Jodi :D )

MichelleRae
07-11-2004, 05:38 PM
ohhh ellis, well I have several faves ;) my eyes and teeth and *ahem* my boobs, my family is just a busty one but I was thinking after I lose my weight perhaps I'll treat myself to a lift when I get my tummy tuck it would be nice to have perky breasts again especially after nursing 2 children lol.

Speaking of how we carry our weight, I know this girl who has the skinniest legs ever, but as your eyes travel up her body you are shocked when you come to her midsection because she has the biggest stomach!!! I think hers is even fatter than mine and I've had 2 children and she hasnt yet. How wierd is that?

Also I have had to have my wedding ring resized TWICE!!! And we haven't even been married 2 years yet!! (sept 7) and I have a bunch of cute shoes I'm saving for when I no longer have fat feet lol.