Closed Thread

Old 07-03-2004, 09:53 AM   #1  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Default July chat

Good Morning everyone

I can't believe it is July already!

I had a great birthday yesterday and I have to say that I am happy and grateful to have such awesome friends as I do I had dinner out with a big gang last night and had a blast - laughed so hard I was crying and my ribs hurt.

Funny, most of my friends are like strays that DH and I have picked up along the way - they are the kind of people that got picked on in school (like me) for not fitting in and are a bit oddballl but they are amazing people - funny, kind, generous, intelligent, talented and just fun to be with.

Gee...I think I just describe a lot of you here Seriously, you are an amazing bunch of women and I am glad to have met all of you!

I am blessed to have all of you and my other friends in my life
Old 07-03-2004, 11:54 AM   #2  

Height: 5'-2"

Mauvais, I'm so glad you had fun on your birthday.
I know what you mean about friends. We're the same. We were all geeky and/or loners in high school. Now we're the coolest.
Old 07-03-2004, 11:21 PM   #3  
Cookin' With A Vengeance!

YUP!!!

Glad to hear your birthday was so much fun!!!
Old 07-04-2004, 05:00 AM   #4  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goddess Jessica

The day after I landed, I made a true sit down meal. Roasted chicken with banana squash. The Cute Boyfriend and I were very jet lagged, so there wasn't much conversation. The next day, we ate the leftover (we never do that!) and some mushroom risotto and zucchini. I even used some of the chicken in the salad I took to work!

More stuff that will make you chuckle: I picked out a scone recipe to try to make this weekend and the Cute Boyfriend went to the "British Store" to pick up some clotted cream. I've already looked at the nutritional information (yikes!), so it will have to be a treat.
Very good work on the eating together, Goddess J, and on eating the leftovers. That’s very economical and I’m certainly in favour of that!

Now. Jessica. Please. I may not know what a Krispy Kreme is but I certainly do know what a scone is. I can make some lovely ones, white or wholemeal. They slip down very easily, don’t they? Especially with butter, jam and cream. Home-made ones are delicious. But please be careful. They can take you down a dark alley and mug you. They look so sweet and lovely but they are dangerous. Before you know where you are, you’ve eaten half a dozen – or more - or even more than that!

Have fun making them! You can experiment with the flour and raisins/sultanas/currants. I use half wholemeal and half white to make them seem a bit healthier! Or I make cheese wholemeal ones. But they’re just a treat or emergency breakfast/picnic food if we’ve run out of everything.

Warning over!

Silverbirch.
Old 07-04-2004, 05:12 AM   #5  

Mmmmmm....scones....

I know what you mean - my parents are Scots and my mum makes the most amazing scones.

She also used to make home made candle apples with brown sugar...also tablet and puffed candy (sponge toffee to us Canadians).

I would mention all of her other lovely baking but then I would make myself and everyone else here hungry
Old 07-04-2004, 07:43 AM   #6  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Tablet, Mauvais?? All my fillings fell out at once when I read that!
Old 07-04-2004, 07:57 AM   #7  

Height: 5'-2"

Silverbirch, I make the most amazing oat scones with orange peel. They're wicked.
Old 07-04-2004, 11:33 AM   #8  
you can call me flower

S/C/G: 205/165/149

Height: 5-5

Okay, it is hard to stay OP when you guys talk dirty!
Old 07-04-2004, 02:24 PM   #9  

flower -heh, heh, heh...

Silverbirch - yeah- I know what you mean doesn't mean I won't happily eat it if my mum makes it though

Ellis -gimmee the recipe for those scones!
Old 07-04-2004, 02:31 PM   #10  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Silverbirch - LOL, you advice is well taken. It's been too warm this weekend to actually do any baking so no scones yet. I think I'll make them when I'm having company so I won't be tempted to eat them all myself.

Flower, you crack me up!

Last night, I had a dream that no one organized my 10-year high school reunion (which is suppose to be this year but I haven't hear a thing about it, so it may well be true). But I was very upset in the dream because I had gained so much weight since high school. My weight loss efforts have stalled in their tracks. It's been more than a YEAR since I've had any real weight loss. I am very depressed over this. It seems like I get up feeling motivated but I end the day in a very opposite way. What depresses me even more is that I end up beating myself up over it and to what effect? For the last year I've been mad at myself for being obese and torturing myself and still haven't lost any weight! How is this helping? Argh! I'm not looking for sympathy. I'm looking for someone to say, "Heck yes, I know where you've been and I can show you the way out!" Help?
Old 07-04-2004, 06:36 PM   #11  
you can call me flower

Jess- HUGS!!!!!
You know, I wear a size 24 at 225. So you look better than me! I know that isn't much consulation, but you probably have been changing your body without changing your weight. Maybe it is time to go outside your comfort zone and try something different. Pick up a different activity. Maybe go to a rollerrink and try rollerblading. Or maybe an aqua class. Volleyball? anything different just to remind the body that you will win! HUGS! Where is Ca are you at, closer to LA or SF. I am an hour outside Reno.
Old 07-04-2004, 07:00 PM   #12  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Flower - Aren't sizes weird? A friend of mine weighs as much as I do but wears a size 20. Argh! Her butt looks much bigger than mine though. Thanks for the hugs. I live in San Diego - closer to Mexico. Only about 8 hours from Reno... I always thought I could run a great brothel.
Old 07-04-2004, 08:47 PM   #13  
you can call me flower

San Diego, how fun! If I could afford there, I would be there in a heartbeat. I vacationed there this past Xmas. I grew up in Vegas so I am a sw girl all the way.
Old 07-05-2004, 11:57 AM   #14  

Jessica, you could post your program here for us to look at and we could post back suggestions for things you could try.

One thing I've noticed, it seems to be hard for some people to get motivated and stay motivated. Sometimes it seems as if the happier people are overall, the harder it is for them to get going. The ones with a medical crisis or some obvious unhappiness, such as not having a BF, have a sort of "ready made" motivation. At least that's the way it was for me, I had a drastic medical wake-up call.

I've got a neighbor who is very busy, has a happy, full life, a great husband and kids, all her medical numbers are in the normal range-- and she's about to top 300. She tells me she just doesn't have the push to do something about her weight. She's not happy about her weight, but she's not unhappy enough to really crack down.

I really wish I knew what to tell her. I suppose I've got the motivation to get this done, but I don't know how to give that to someone else, KWIM? That's why I always say I don't know what motivation is, really. It's a drive that comes from inside, but if you asked me to put it into words, I just can't seem to. It's "pre-verbal,"-- visceral. I'd like to give some of that to you, but I don't know how. It's frustrating.
Old 07-05-2004, 02:09 PM   #15  
Cute & Fluffy

S/C/G: 219/217/150

Height: Short!

Hello chicks!

Glad you had a good birthday Mauvais.

We are a pretty cool bunch!

I have a apple cinnamon scones mix, maybe I should make those....

Jessica, sorry you are having a rough time. I have gained more then I have lost, so I am not sure what to tell you.

Well, I saw The Rocky Horror Show on Friday night, done by a company where everyone is under 21. It was a blast. The kid playing Frank was just wonderful!
Saturday was a wedding, where the only person I knew was the groom. It's a friend from HS who I still talk to but we don't actually see each other much. It was an ok day. Really good to see him, but it would have been more fun if we would have gone out to dinner or something.
Yesterday was cleaning, and going over my aunt's house. It rained too much to watch fireworks.
So far I am watching the all day Twilght Zone marathon on the SciFi channel.

Have a wonderful day!
Closed Thread