Exercise! - Any runners out there?

Pages : [1] 2

View Full Version : Any runners out there?

shyangel
07-02-2004, 12:17 PM
I just started running about 2 months ago. I bike also but think that running will be a more efficient way to help me lose weight. I would love a buddy or just to hear what has worked for others. Right now I run mostly with a club three days a week. Each run is about 3-3.5 miles at a very slow pace (10 1.2 minute miles at best). I have started to incorporate a 4th run each week where I run an even slower hour. I haven't measured it to figure out the distance, I just go.

I'd love some advice on good foods to eat to help with energy or how to change my running routine to help with the weight loss. Actually, any advice and/or support would be appreciated.

Tig
07-02-2004, 10:32 PM
I don't have any advice. But I love to run. I started running last October/November and it was very slow going at first. I'm running a 5K race tomorrow. This will be the first race I've run since early March and I'm worried about the heat and humidity. I know - it's only a 5K...

I've been struggling to find any support for running. There don't seem to be many runners. I'm in no way an expert - just a runner for as long as I can until I get permanently grounded. I was grounded a couple of months ago but I'm ignoring that.

So... tell ... what ARE you eating and HOW have you changed your routine???

shyangel
07-03-2004, 12:36 PM
Hi Tig - I ran my second 5k today in 30:35. This was good for me as I am not very fast either. How did your 5k go? i don't think there is anything shabby about a 5k. Someday this season I would like to do a 5 mile race but I'm not sure I could even aspire to a 10k this season. Some of it is that I just don't have enough time to run more.

Can I ask what grounded you?

I have to go right now to water my garden/farm so later I'll write about my routine. You can tell me about your running routine though.

Tig
07-03-2004, 08:20 PM
I ran the 5K today - ran 15 minutes, walked 5 minutes, ran 7 minutes, walked 17 minutes, ran 3 minutes for a total of 42 minutes. It was over 80* at 8:00 AM when the race started and with the humidity, the heat index was in the 90s - the road surfaced added to the overall misery. And it was a BLAST. I was second in my age class and got a silver medal. My dearest Hubster and daughter came in first in their respective age categories and were awarded gold medals. My buddy from Tampa who decided to join us was awarded a bronze medal for placing third in her age category. Winners All!!

Dearest Hubster is planning on graduating to 10K races next fall, but I'll stick to the 5K. My newest goal is to run the entire way. Of course, it will need to be not so miserably hot!

Hubster and I run together - wait, that's not accurate - run during the same time period on the same streets early in the morning. ;) Even though running is a solo sport, I am convinced it takes a buddy or two or twenty to keep up the motivation and to help us push to the next level.

My weekly goal is a total of 20 miles either walking or running. Most weeks I meet my goal. We have a 3.6 mile route, a 4.5 route, and a 5 mile route. I also go to the gym for the DT (Dreaded Treadmill) and ETM (Elliptical Torture Machine) on weekends if we don't get out early enough to run.

I have polyneuropathy and have problems with pain, weakness and balance. The physical therapist grounded me, but she was very bad so I fired her. I see a new PT in a couple of weeks, so I consider myself not grounded. :)

lovnmom
07-03-2004, 09:12 PM
Hi girls, I've been a walker for years. Always on the ike trail. I'm blest living on over 400 miles of beautiful trails. This past winter my DH bought me my first TM so I could keep up my walking during the winter months. It was after this that I got it in my head to try running. Long story short I've been increasing my speed since March and now can do 3 miles on the trail in 47 min doing intermittent running and walking. My goal for July was to be able to hold 6 mph for one full mile (10 min mile) I accomplished that today and I feel awesome. I will be 40 in Aug. and never ran for exercise or fun before, but I know I'll never quit. Good luck to you both. (How old are you?)

Kristi

2cutekids
07-03-2004, 09:48 PM
I think there is more runners that people think. I too am a runner and am slowly getting some were. I useto like the treadmill but now I have to in to running outside. I am loving it. I run anywhere from 3 to 5 days a week. up tp 20 miles a week. I am hoping that I will run a 10 k soon. In May I did my first 5K and was realy happy with my time28.29 min. This fall I know that I will be doing an 8 K.
I hope that this thread will stay around. We are going on holidays soon and would like to talk more about running and get advise from others too.
Plan on a run tomorrow.
Tanya

lovnmom
07-03-2004, 10:01 PM
great job Tanya on your 5k time. That's awesome!

Kristi

lovnmom
07-04-2004, 06:51 AM
Just because of pride I have to make a correction. It's 4 miles I do in 47 min on the trail.

Kristi

gatsby
07-04-2004, 12:56 PM
hi,
i started running a little while ago. i'm taking a running clinic at the running room. were supposed to end up being able to run 10min walk1 run 10 walk 1 by the end. (i'm not convinced i'll be at that point by the end of aug but i'm working at it) then they'll try to find a 5km for us to do.
i had quite a bit of pain when i started, in my feet, calve cramps, basic bad aerobic level. but yesterday i did 2.5km without any pain~ so i'm happy and hope it's going away.
i don't have any nutritional advice but you can check out the running rooms web site www.runningroom.com look under fun stuff, running tips, nutrition. hmmm i think i'll check it out myself.

good luck and stay healthy :)
gen

gatsby
07-04-2004, 01:08 PM
hi again,
sorry i forgot that that nutrition stuff was for preparing for a marathon. but if you look around the site there is alot of information and a discussion group.

gen

lovnmom
07-04-2004, 10:44 PM
Great job Gen, you've steadily lost weight since starting and are going greater distances, Keep up the good work.

2cutekids
07-05-2004, 12:52 AM
Hi everyone. I was on the treadmill today. We have been getting rain alot(we need it). I when for a long one.
Everyone is doing great with their running. I feel that it is not a race but what you can do to help yourself. I know that you can get great advice from other runner. I have ran with on guy that has ran the boston. What a insperational guy to speak to. Very down to earth and will help you if you need help. I had to laugh he told me he had the same gola of just a 10K and now he is a marathon runner. I can see that in my future. Too many hours of running and training to get there.
Well everyone keep up the great work that you are doing.
Tanya

lovnmom
07-05-2004, 11:12 AM
I too have children Tanya, 4 of them, and if I ever find the time to train for a Marathon I'll be running my first when I'm about 50 y/o lol

shyangel
07-05-2004, 11:10 PM
Hi Everyone - I am back from 'celebrating' the holiday. Unfortunately I did not get to run yesterday or today and I feel terrible. I really miss it and the healthy feeling I get afterwards. it sounds like everyone is doing great. Tig - great job on your 5k! It is amazing how much the weather can affect your running. I think 20 mpw is great. I don't think I am up to that yet - probably about 15 mpw right now but I am hoping to add in another longer run each week to get to 20 mpw. Good luck with the new PT. I hope you don't get grounded again. Congratulations Kristi on you first 10 minute mile! I ran my first sub 10 minute mile this weekend and it was great. At least when you're a new runner you can see progress pretty fast. Tanya - super 5k time. You seem to have the sub 10 minute mile down pat. My goal is to run a sub 30 5k by the end of the summer. Great job! Lucky you that you have someone to help you personally with your running. I am trying to get information from my running club but wish I had a partner to run with and help motivate me (in person). Thanks gen for the link. I'll be sure to check it out at work tomorrow on one of my breaks. That running clinic sounds good. Keep us posted on your progress.

Is anyone running Tuesday? I have a track workout with my club. Last week we did hills so I'll be interested to see what we do this week.

Have a great Tuesday! It's a short week - yeah! :D

shyangel
07-05-2004, 11:12 PM
hi again,
sorry i forgot that that nutrition stuff was for preparing for a marathon. but if you look around the site there is alot of information and a discussion group.

gen

Doesn't it seem like every runner, at least in their subconscious, is ultimately training for a marathon. ;)

shyangel
07-06-2004, 11:16 PM
I bet you are all out running. :D

I went to my track workout tonight. We did intervals totaling 3.75 miles. It felt more like 10 miles! I know it's good for me though and it is nice to get the encouragement of others in my group. Anyone else run or do anything interesting today?

Ang

gatsby
07-08-2004, 10:46 PM
hi all,
so today the clinic resumed after two week off due to holidays. the course was 5mins warm up walk, and 6 cycles of 2min run, 1 min walk for. it was pretty hard after a while. i got some cramping in my calf but it's not as bad as it used to be. running on asphalt is murder and pavement is worse. today we ran mostly on the road. one of the leaders said to eat more potassium. 1-1.5 bananas 1 hour before running.
every class we run for 30 mins then discuss a topic for 30 mins, todays topic was motivation and goals.

so if anyone would like to share (sounds like group therapy no? :lol: ) their motivations and short, medium and long term goals i'll start
my motivationto run is to lose weight and get fit. i have a long way to go. i have never been able to run even as a teenager. i know people who run a lot , marathons and such and think its great! my short term goals is just to make through the next class. my first medium term goal is to run 5k, then 10k. my long term goal is to complete a triathlon. when? who knows 1-2 years. it's been a dream for a long time. i've never told anyone that before because, you know, what if i never accomplish it? we'll see.

good work on all the running. you guys are doing great!

I want to gain 1,500 or 2,000 yards, whichever comes first.
George Rogers, Saints running back

hope to hear from you guys soon
gen

Tig
07-09-2004, 07:49 PM
We ran Tuesday morning. Started off with a warm up walk, then 20 minutes running, then walking, then 15 minutes running followed by walking for a total time of 57 minutes. We've increased our distance because we're increasing the amount of time we run vs. walk. We plan to run again tomorrow morning. We have to start before 6:00 AM or it's too HOT!

gen, I really liked the site. I realized that my shoulders frequently hurt after I run when I was reading the Fun Stuff. I learned that I need to relax my shoulders by relaxing my hands.

shyangel
07-10-2004, 05:11 PM
My long term goal is to lose weight. I think I have between 25 and 30 pounds to lose (hopefully not more - I'll have to see if I ever get down that far). Right now I also use running as a way to feel like I am accomplishing something. A lot of other stuff in my life is not going great so this is something good to hold on to. Short term goals are to run a sub 30 min. 5k and one race this year at a longer distance, maybe 5 miles or a 10k if I really start to make some progress.

gen - I think participating in a triathlon is a great goal. If you want it you will get there, and if not, just think of all you will accomplish trying to get there. Your clinic sounds great. Keep up the good work.

Tig - Did you run this morning? 57 minutes out is great! I wish I had the time and energy to put in an hour of running/walking.

Thursday I ran with my club and did 3 miles in under 30 minutes. I go a lot faster when I have to try and keep up with people. It is the first time I ever averaged under a 10 minute mile. Today I really wanted to ride my bike but I spent 4.5 hours weeding my farm/garden and I'm just not sure my legs can take a bike ride now. I guess the weeding was still exercise, at least I hope so.

I hope everyone is having a great weekend.

Ang

Tig
07-10-2004, 05:25 PM
We ran again this morning. Walked 10 minutes, ran 20 minutes, walked 2, ran 15 and walked 10 for 57 minutes again for the 3.8 miles. We ran after 7 so it was a good drippy humidity run! :lol: I keep thinking if I run the 20 walk run 15 consistently I start increasing the time until I can run a 5K with no walking. That's my goal for this fall when the 5K races start up again here.

Ang, weeding definitely counts as exercise! You're right about running faster when running with other people. Congratulations on the under 30 minutes for the 3 miles!

shyangel
07-10-2004, 05:37 PM
Thanks Tig - good job with your running too! You will be doing a 5k in no time. It is amazing how much energy you get at races too when there are so many people. I have been in two local ones and hope to get in one this year that is a little bigger. It's hard though if I'm not willing to drive a little bit. We'll see what happens. Tig - you may want to pick out a race for the fall and have it as a goal. I have one in September that I am going to use as my under 30 minute 5k (I hope). It's nice to have something to strive for.

Keep up the great work - I think I am actually going to stop typing and get on my bike.

Ang

2cutekids
07-11-2004, 09:18 PM
HI everyone Just back from holidays. I did one 4 mile on Saturday. We have been getting the rain. I am getting back on the running game again this week. I will be 4 times this week. I am be trying to kinda train for the 8K coming up soon. The only problem we are taking holidays soon again for 2 weeks and to run on holidays like I do at home is way too hard. The 8k that is coming is in Sept.
Well that is my Short goal. Long goal is to get a 10k at a good time like 55 min. And keep my weight down. After holidays that is 5 pounds.
Well it sure looks like everyone is still keeping up with their runs.
I hope that all are doing well.
Tanya

shyangel
07-11-2004, 11:11 PM
Good job Tanya. It is hard to run while you are on holiday but are you able to find any time to exercise? I ran 4.5 miles this morning with my running club. Two people that are run with and I extended the 3 mile run. We are trying to work up to the 6 mile run. A large group goes out for 6 but we're a lot slower than they are - one day hopefully. I also rode my mtn bike for over 2 hours on a state forest trail - it eas a good workout for my legs.

Anyone else get in some running this weekend?

Ang

gatsby
07-12-2004, 01:00 AM
hi,
i posted earlier but it's not here??? hmm that's no the first time...i wonder why?
oh well
my new short term goal is to run as well as you guys! great going!!!
today i went for a wak/jog for 33 mins. i went further than before so i'm happy about that. i did 14.5mins of jogging and 18.5 of walking. i still can't run for more than 2 mins in a row though. i bought some potassium pills and hope they work for the cramps. today i didn't get any today so hopefully they are working.
you guys are doing great
gen

shyangel
07-12-2004, 09:08 AM
gen - I have problems too with posts not showing up. It is a little frustrating. Good job on your walk/run. Give it time and you will be able to run more at one time. A running coach I talked to said that sometimes cramps are dehydration, but other times they are just because your body is not in 'good enough shape' so it has trouble getting enough blood to certain places and thus you get a cramp. Where are you cramping?

Ang

LKTS
07-12-2004, 07:18 PM
Hey, my first post on this thread - I signed up to do a 5k in September; the mail has been sent, there's no escape! ;) I'm going to follow the couch-to-5k-plan, and I'm starting today. I've run before but it's been a while since I've done much of it, and the first few weeks are always the worst. Wish me luck!

gatsby
07-12-2004, 11:13 PM
HI,

good luck on the 5k lkts. let us know how the training is going.

i get cramps in my left calf. causes have been attributed to lack of hydration, low potassium, bad shoes. i drink plenty of water and have started taking potassium pill. my shoes should be good.
i'm wondering if it may be related to my foot size. my left foot is 1/2 size smaller than my right and that shoe is a little looser. i put in insoles but it raises my foot higher than the right and it fels unbalanced. i also tried running in the middle of the road because the roads are always slanted at the sides. so much for running on the bike path. (of course the cars are problematic :) ) i thought of this because i sometimes run on the outddor gravel track at the y. it's softer on the joints and laterally flat - more comfortable.
so i'm experimenting. i'm thinking too, like you said, that as i get stronger it will go away if i train carefully.
thanks for your help ang, i can use all the help i can get. ;)

good running and stay healthy
gen

shyangel
07-13-2004, 10:40 AM
Welcome Laura. Great idea to sign up for that 5k. Do you have enough time to get through your plan by the race? You mentioned that you used to run, how long ago? Did you run a lot? It seems from my experience, that people who used to run can sometimes get back into it a little easier than those who have never run before. Maybe the muscles remember somehow. Good luck and definitely keep us posted on your progress.

gen - sounds like you are on the right path to figuring out the cramping problem. I get pain in my shins when I run on a road that slants excessively. The pesky cars are a problem though. :lol: Let us know if the potassium helps. Do you stretch adequately before and after your run?

Who is running today? I have a track workout tonight but it is raining right now. I think I will still try to go, I just hope someone shows up to explain the workout.

Have a great Tuesday!

Ang

2cutekids
07-13-2004, 03:07 PM
HI everyone I never got my run in yesterday like I planed. I got the stomach flu. I am going to try later today on the treadmill.
Laura I wish you luck with the 5 k. It is great feeling once to have done one. I found out that the Terry Fox run is a 10 K here. I think that I will try to do that one. It is in Sept.
Well I hope that everyone is doing well today and keep up the great work.
Tanya

shyangel
07-14-2004, 11:33 AM
Good morning everyone.

Tanya: I'm sorry you got the flu. Are you feeling any better? Have you been able to exercise at all? Let us know if you decide to run the 10k that would be quite an accomplishment.

I have run since Sunday. :( It has been raining here and I don't have access to a TM. I was in such a groove. This rain is really upsetting me because I am trying to make running a habit and these breaks don't help. Hopefully tomorrow I will be able to get out.

Have a great day!
Ang

2cutekids
07-14-2004, 12:45 PM
HI everyone I have been feeling better. I was albe to get a 5k yesterday and a 35 min today. They call it a tempo run. Start off slow and work up to your speed that you would run in your 10 k. and cool off for 5 min. It went better than yesterdays run.
I am sure hoping to do the 10 k run in Sept. I am trying to get myself in to a training. I found on on the net of a schedual to follow. It is a 10 week program. I am really looking for a good time like under 1 hour. I hope to be able to do that.
Well I hope that the weather gets better for you soon. I am happy that we have a TM. We have had it for3 years and if it was to break down we would have a new one right away.
Well I hope to get a nother run in tomorrow. Some strength trainig in too. Hope that all have a good day today.
Tanya

shyangel
07-14-2004, 10:22 PM
Glad to hear you are feeling better Tanya. It sounds like you are right back into your running. Is it a specific training program that you are doing? Is there a link you could share? I think I have been fooling around long enough and need a little more structure in my training.

I am hoping that the weather gets better soon. Tonight it rained just enough (combined with some other issues for me) to give me an excuse to stay inside. Of course now I feel guilty but at the time sitting in front of the television seemed to be a happier alternative. Sometimes I lack motivation to get things started. I have also been more tired lately. Does anyone else get tired (at the muscular level) when you exercise too much? If so, how long until I am back to normal. My legs just feel like dead weights.

I should go for my 3 mile pub run with my running club tomorrow. Strength training sounds like a good idea too. I keep forgetting to start. :o

Keep on running. Ang

Tig
07-15-2004, 06:37 AM
Tanya,
10 in 10 sounds really interesting. I'm with Ang - is there a link or name of a book that you can share? My dearest Hubster is planning on a 10K in the fall and I'm always happy to help out by tagging along. Well, tagging behind. But I'm always willing!

Sweater Girl
07-15-2004, 06:42 AM
Can I join you guys? I have been running on and off for the last four years... I am planning to do some clinics with the running room this fall. I would love to say one day that "I ran a Marathon"

Cheers!

Ali:)

Sweater Girl
07-15-2004, 06:46 AM
My goals?

Relative short term (6months) lose the extra weight on me, run a 5 or 10 K and start winter running.

Long term: run a marathon:)

CheerS!

Ali

shyangel
07-15-2004, 09:14 AM
Welcome Ali - we'd love to have you join. What is your present running plan?

Ang

2cutekids
07-15-2004, 03:02 PM
Hi everyone I had my stomach act up again after my runn. Not happy about that. But so far I am feeling better to now.
Well the one place that I have found info is the runningroom.com and runnersworld.com I hope that will help you all.
Ali good to have you join us. I am glad to see that you have such great goal. I know that it is a great feeling onceyou have done a race. I know that my 5 K was a great feeling to have doneit.
Well I am going to that tomorrow off. I think that I will do my strenght traing. I never got it in today because of the way I felt. I will do a little walking to.
Well great to see everyone nad I hope that everyone has a great day.
tanya

gatsby
07-15-2004, 09:33 PM
hi all,

i hope you are feeling better soon tanya. it's good to take it easy when you are feeling sick. walkin is good because it keeps you in the groove. i find sometimes the hardest part is just getting up and doing it: putting on the shoes, walking out the door.

hey ali! i live in ndg in montreal. i'm taking a clinic at the running room right now. i just got back from our 1 min walk, 3 min run and was pleasantly surprised that i could do it. espescially since last week i couldn't complete the programme.

i think their programme is pretty good. i'm taking the learn to run (beginner's) clinic. we meet once a week and there is 1/2 hour talk on some topic and 1.2hour run. every week we add 1 min of running. it's a good incentive to get out and gives you a goal for the week.

ang i was wondering what a 3 mile pub run is? (is it anything like a pub crawl? :) )

take care
gen

shyangel
07-15-2004, 10:10 PM
hi everyone -

Tanya - what is happening with your stomach? I hope it is just a bug and that you feel all better soon. Good for you that you got to exercise though, hopefully the exercising isn't making it worse. Thanks for the links. I think I will have to check them out. I am always looking for things to inspire and motivate me to be healthy since I don't always find it within myself.

gen - congratulations on finishing your clinic program. Isn't it nice to see progress? :) All it takes is patience, or so I'm told.

Thank God a pub run is not a pub crawl. We meet at a local pub and run 3 miles, ending at the pub. We go in to have appetizers and drinks (I drink water) after the run. Everyone else in the club is fit so they can afford the calories in the beer but the appetizers are bad enough for me. It's just a fun run where we can socialize too. I like it, especially since I am new to the area and still trying to meet people. Isn't a crawl where you jog to each pub and have a drink before you jog to the next one? The pub run was good tonight. There is a fast woman who slows down for me on these runs. She helps me break 10 minute miles for the 3 mile run. Today was faster than last week by 20 seconds (29:27)! It's tough because she really pushes me but I like it because it is my shortest day so the pace is good. I still don't know how to get faster but I'll just keep running and see what happens.

Does anyone have any tips on getting faster?

Ang

gatsby
07-15-2004, 10:52 PM
hi ang,

a pub crawl is when you walk from pub to pub drinking all night and end up crawling to last one. i've never been on on of the official ones in university though. well thank goodness you weren't running from pub to pub, you could hurt yourself. :lol:
toget faster you have to incorporate sprints into your runs. usually you would have a short, medium and long day of running. there is a specific way of doing it and i don't how. ask a trainer or look it up on one of the web sites. it may also depend on how fit you are. right now getting faster for me is just running more. so it's good to get advice from someone who can evaluate you properly.

good luck
patient gen

shyangel
07-16-2004, 01:45 PM
thanks for the advice gen. right now I have a track workout once a week with my running club so hopefully that will help with speed. I definitely need to up my miles per week but I think that has more to do with my schedule and priorities.

Congratulations btw on your continued weight loss. I wish I knew how to do it. Again, maybe more miles on the road will help. How much do you runa week?

Ang

2cutekids
07-16-2004, 03:05 PM
Hi everyone I think that I have figured out the problem with my stomach. I think that i am having problems eating strawberries. We have a patch at our new house and I have alwaysloved strawberries and everyday that I have been eating them I have been sick sick sick. But the couple of days that I didn't eat them I have been OK.
Those programs are great. We tried to have someone come to our town but if we didn't have the numbers they wouldn't come and the number were not there. There poeple in the same boat as you is great help too. I have been lucky to find people close to the same level as me.
Well I am taking today totally off. I hope that everyone has a great day. Gen be carefull at the pub crawl
Tanya

2cutekids
07-16-2004, 03:10 PM
Well it looks like my first post didn't get though. So far I am felling better today had a very rough night. I think that I am allergic to strawberries. We just moved to a house with a patch and I have been sick everytime that I have been eating them lately.
Well taking today totally off and hope that everyone is doing well. Gen have fun at the pub crawl and congrats on the loss.
tanya

Tig
07-16-2004, 08:56 PM
hmmm. Should we start a 10 in 10 thread? I am excited about training for a 10K, even if I don't run it. But WHAT IF I do? Wooooo Hooooooo!!!!

Didn't run today. It is so hot and humid, even at 6:00 AM here. I need to wait for cooler weather. XXX that out. I'm going to run tomorrow morning. The PLAN!!!

I think a Pub Run sounds like a lot of fun. Of course, I'm up for the Pub Crawl, too. We just have to run like maniacs the next jillion days to make up for it :lol:

shyangel
07-17-2004, 09:18 AM
Tanya - I'm so glad you figured out what was bothering your stomach. Bad news if you love strawberries though. Enjoy your day off.

I am taking running shoes with me to visit my family but I am not holding my breath that I will actually run. We'll see.

Tig - maybe we can combine goals and say that there should be a pub crawl after the 10k. Good motivation? I am hoping that training for something will help me get focused, like you, whether I run the race or not.

I'm off to see the family. Have a great weekend.

Ang

2cutekids
07-17-2004, 12:52 PM
Hi everyone well I do know now what the problem is. Like I wrote before I thought it was strawberries but I was in pain last night again and went to see the Dr. and found out that it is gall blader. I am going to get an ultrasound and hopefuly get it out and then I should be able to get back to my running. I don't know when that will be. I am now on tylenol 3's for the pain.
Well I hope that everyone is doing better. I think once I am feeling a little better I will be running alittle. The nice thing is right now the thought of food dones not apeal to me. I am usually a food addict. I think that I will be lossing weight because of not eating anything but ginger al and crackers.
Well enough of me hope you all get your runs in.
Tanya

gatsby
07-17-2004, 02:20 PM
hello all,

let me just clarify that i did not go on a pub crawl and never intended to. one pub is quite enough for me 36yrs :lol: then again....
i did drink and had fun dancing at friends' last night and had a good time.

i'm always surprised that i am actually losing weight even though there is no reason i shouldn't be. here's what i do:
i weight train with mostly free weights 2-3 times a week. and do 30mins of cardio afterwards
i jog/walk 3 times: 1 on my own, 1 with the clinic and 1 at the track at the gym (that's one of my cardios the other two are on the crosstrainer, i do the hill programme so it's like interval training which is supposed to the best way to improve)
yoga sometimes 1 or 2 a week
and i've started biking to work but it's only 10 mins each way
food: i was using fitday and now use dietpower comp. programmes. i try to follow the plan for the day. i'm eating healthy food. very very little junk and white carbs. but i'm not on low carb diet. i focus on gettng my nutrients and lowering my fat intake. when i get home from any exercise i have some protein as soon as possible. often it's a protein shake with blueberries and strawberries thrown in.
i was in such bad shape when i started that any movement and better food was bound to have some effect.
i think you have to watch what you eat even when you are jogging. i know people who jog regularly and are overweight. apparently trying to lose weight doing one or the other doesn't really work. you need both. :?:

the 10k sounds great. the leaders of the group are going to find a 5k for us to do when we are finished at the end of aug. we should be jog10min walk1 X 2 by then end. seems crazy to think i could do that! but after that i would definitely want to get up to 10k. good luck to you guys on that. i think a 10k race is a great goal and you should do it!!! great motivation and sense of accomplishment.

sorry to hear about the gallbladder tanya. i hope you are ok and don't need it taken out. is there anything else thay can do besides surgery?

have a good weekend
gen

Tig
07-17-2004, 06:58 PM
No running today but we did walk for 55 minutes and then I spent the rest of the day scrubbing tile grout and walls. I think I'll count that as cross training. :lol:

Tanya - really sorry about your gall bladder. Hopefully the diet change will get it under control. I know it's really discouraging to not be able to run.

Ang - are your leg muscles still feeling tired? I was wondering if you could alternate with some upper body exercises to give them a rest.

Ali - it was fun to see you here.

gen - the 5K at the end of August sounds great.

We've found a 5K in September. One thing about the 5K - it isn't necessary to wait until you feel 'ready' for a 5K run. It is perfectly acceptable to run and walk and run and walk. In the spring, I came in second in my age group in a 5K and I walked the entire race (I walked FAST!) because the doc said I shouldn't run. Might get hurt. Balderdash on that. As far as speed, everyone's speed picks up in a 5K. I think it's a pack-thing. As in running with the pack.

Gen has a 5K picked out; I have one picked out. What about everybody else?

shyangel
07-19-2004, 09:31 AM
Hi Everyone.

Tanya - Yikes! I hope everything goes alright with your gallbladder and that you feel better very soon. Have you had any problems with it before? Having it removed sounds like major surgery. Good luck. I'm sure you'll be up and running in no time. :) Although it is a bad way to lose weight, it is a silver lining to your situation. Take care of yourself.

gen - it sounds like you are doing all the right things. It is no wonder that you are losing weight. I wish I had your dedication. I am trying to get in more exercise. I would like to be doing as much as you are, including the weights. You are right that losing weight requires exercise and eating healthy. You seem to have both under control. Congratulations.

Sounds like the weekend started off on a good note - how were the rest of everyone's weekends?

Tig - I bet scrubbing grout really helps with toning muscles. I count weeding my garden as 'exercise', although not cardio. Any activity is good - right?

My legs have bounced back. I think I just overdid it. This past week I didn't exercise much because of my schedule and the rain. I did get out yesterday morning for a very short jog. I amhoping to go for another short run at lunch today. Unfortunately I have to run an experiment this afternoon so I don't have a long lunch to get in much of a run - a figure short is better than nothing. At this point it is more of a psychological thing for me to get in the habit of exercising regularly and trying to eat better. The internal motivation and dedication has not kicked in for me like it seems to for most people on this site. I'm working on it though.

Ali - you still there? We'd love to hear from you about your running and whatever else you want to share.

gen - Tig is right about the 5k. Although there are usually some 'serious' runners, most people are just trying to have fun. The extra energy from all of the people is great. I've also heard that at a race you can run 150% of what you train. For instance, marathoners don't run marathons every week to prepare. You'll do great.

I have a 5k on Oct. 2.

Have a great Monday everyone. Ang

LKTS
07-19-2004, 01:15 PM
Hey all,
I'm starting on week 2 of my couch-to-5k program - week 1 was a bit of a struggle, mainly shin splints and such, but eventually I'll get it back, I know.

I went ahead and signed up for my 5k in September so I wouldn't chicken out! :lol: I've done an Avon 3day before, so surely 3 measly miles isn't too much!

cac
07-19-2004, 03:26 PM
Hi everyone,

I have been walking for about 2 months and last week started jogging. I have approx 4.5 mile route. I started it at 1 hour 45 minutes and now at 1 hour 17 minutes. I am a very slow walker and jogger. But I love it. I am trying each time to jog more each time.

I am so glad to find other folks out there.

cac

shyangel
07-19-2004, 11:34 PM
Laura and cac - congratulations to both of you for your efforts. Laura - hang in there and if the pains don't go away make sure you look into it (good shoes, stretching, etc.). I was lucky that I started so slowly that I never really had much pain. I guess maybe that means I should be pushing myself harder. :chin: cac - are you using any system for adding in the jogging? I know there are a number of programs that revolve around the walk/jog/walk idea. It sounds like you are doing great though on your own even if you aren't using a system. I run really slowly too. I wish I could say it doesn't bother me, but I've been told it just takes time.

Laura - great that you signed up for the 5k. I am doing one on October 2. Goals are a good thing. btw - nothing measly about a 5k. :lol:

Today a ran 30 minutes at lunch time. I don't think I will be doing that again anytime soon. It was so stressful since I didn't know the area, was afraid of getting lost, and had to rush to shower and then get back to work. I also don't like the wet hair look on me for the afternoon. :eek: I guess it's motivation to get up and run before work once or twice a week. That idea has it's own problems. When does everyone here run/walk?

Ang

Tig
07-20-2004, 06:39 AM
We ran this morning. I ran a total of 30 minutes and walked 25 minutes for 3.5 miles. I'm still dripping! I called dearest Hubster my Sweatie Pie. :lol:

cac
07-20-2004, 08:34 AM
Hi,

Ang - my sytem is to run to a traffic light, walk to light post, run to traffic light. It is a weird system but it is working for me. Were ther are no traffic lights I run tthrough two or three light posts, then walk one. On Mondays and Tuesdays becasue my schedule does not permit, I am on the elipse machine 30 -40 minutes. The big thing for me is I am enjoying it and not burning myself out. I hope by Oct 1st I can jog the whole thing.

cc

LKTS
07-20-2004, 05:26 PM
shyangel, thanks for your comments - I think it's just the usual stress of doing more with the muscle than it's used to. I remember when I started running again before, I had problems with my leg muscles getting sore way before I had any aerobic issues (probably because I do fitness walking and other stuff). The weird thing that happened to me yesterday when I ran is that the smaller toes on my right foot fell asleep as I ran. :lol: Hopefully that's just cause my form is poor and it will stop once I'm more used to it!

Way to go, Tig! 3.5 miles is great!

shyangel
07-20-2004, 11:22 PM
Excellent job Tig! 55 minutes - awesome! You do seem to have a good hubster.

cc - I agree completely that you need to enjoy what you are doing. Given that I am not losing any weight (or inches), I only keep running because I like it. It sounds like you have a good system. I have heard of similar techniques before using telephone poles and such. As long as you slowly increase your running time you should be able to make your goal no problem. Keep us posted.

Laura - are you wearing proper running shoes?

No running for me today but tomorrow definitely a run and/or bike ride. I am taking the day off from work but am not sure my body can take running and biking in one morning. I just love to bike and don't want to give it up, but the running is better for losing weight for me (not that I'm losing but maybe one day).

Ang

LKTS
07-21-2004, 02:50 PM
Ang,
I do wear running shoes (pretty expensive ones, really!) and I've had no serious problems before. I'm hoping that it's due to running funny while my leg muscles adjust to the work. So we'll see!

Today's a running day again, and this week is going really well. Hope everyone else is having a good time running!

2cutekids
07-21-2004, 03:23 PM
Hi everyone. Well I have good and bad news for me. I don't have a gall blader problem but now we are looking more into what is the problem. I still get the pains but not as bad lately. I am hoping to get a little run in today. So far no pain.
Well looks like everyone is still running. That is great.
Tanya

shyangel
07-21-2004, 10:45 PM
Sounds good Laura. Keep us posted on how things go. Congratulations on a good week of running. What did you run today?

I biked today for over an hour and weeded for 4 hours. No running and it looks like no running tomorrow. I'm just not dedicated enough to run before work yet and maybe never. More weeding tomorrow after work so no running. I know, priorities are screwed up.

Tanya - were you able to run? What's with your doctors? I hope they figure out what your problem is and soon.

Ang

kalei
07-22-2004, 03:51 AM
Hi Everyone!

I'm fairly new here so I am still trying to figure out where to post everything... I really want to get into running and I have really enjoyed reading everyone's posts.

Keep up the great work!

Tig
07-22-2004, 06:31 AM
Remember when gen suggested www.runningroom.com and look under fun stuff? I did and discovered that the reason my shoulders hurt after a run is because I am tensing them. Who knew? Anyway, it recommended relaxing my hands to relax my shoulders and that worked. The reason I'm mentioning this is because there is also a section on shin splints. The REAL reason I'm mentioning this is that I forgot to mark the site and now I have! :cool:

(Thanks, gen!)

shyangel
07-22-2004, 09:32 AM
Welcome kalei - what, if any, exercise do you do now? Do you have a time in mind when you will start your running program? Let us know how we can help.

Ang

LKTS
07-22-2004, 12:05 PM
Welcome Kalei; I'm glad you're feeling better, Tawyna, but I hope they figure out what's wrong! Tig, thanks for the link.

I had less trouble with shin splints on yesterday's run, and my foot didn't fall asleep either. I always forget how easily you improve in the first few weeks if you just stick with it - and you don't go out too fast!

2cutekids
07-22-2004, 03:02 PM
HI everyone. Kalei welcome. My daughters name is Kalie. I hope that you get in to running. It is a great way to help with weight loss.
Didn't get the run in. I get a nother test done on Aug 4. camera. I did get some pain last night. I think that I will start to keep a diary of when I get them so may be we can get a idea of what may be the triger.
Well I hope that everyone is doing well and getting their runs in. I hope to start soon.
Tanya

Sweater Girl
07-22-2004, 03:20 PM
Started running again yesterday (I used to run a lot), the humidity is a pain so it was only about 15 mins and the rest was powerwalking. It was the same story today, but I have decided to sign up at a clinic at the running room since they've just opened one in the town next to mine.

I am also having fun exploring my new neighbourhood, I moved to an outer suburb of Ottawa and it's just full of trails, so I went on one yesterday and explored a network of trails today. I am so fortunate to have all this stuff near me.

Cheers!

Ali

shyangel
07-22-2004, 04:34 PM
Hi Everyone.

Laura - keep up the good work. I guess your body was just a little surprised by the activity. I'm glad it is starting to cooperate. I guess it knows that you are serious. :D

Tanya - sorry to hear that you are still in pain and weren't able to run. I'm sending you good vibes for a speedy recovery (and an accurrate diagnosis).

Ali - Congratulations on starting to run again. How long have you been away from the road? It seems like you are off to a great start.

No running for me today but maybe later I'll check that running room site. It seems like so many people have gotten great info there. I'm off to weed my garden. I hope everyone has a great evening.

Ang

Tig
07-23-2004, 08:13 AM
Have you noticed in the Men's Corner that Gophfer is posting a daily running quote? I really like today's.

Sweater Girl
07-23-2004, 08:55 AM
Ang: I stopped seriously running about 2 years ago, but have run on and off for the past 2 years... For me it's the best exercise there is! I just ran a little today and power-walked the rest... It was nice out, so quiet, just me and nature.

Cheers!

2cutekids
07-23-2004, 09:38 AM
HI everyone. Hope all are having a good day. No run in yet but I hope to start back on Monday. I felt better yesterday but I am not going to push it.
Ali good to have yo with us. Hope that the running clinic helps you get back to were you would like to be. I wish that there was a running room close to us.
Hope that you all get to run and it is not too hot or rainy.
Tanya

shyangel
07-23-2004, 10:37 PM
Hi Everyone.

Tig - thanks for pointing out the quotes. I hadn't noticed.

Ali - I'm glad you are seriously getting back into running. I also find that it is the most efficient exercise for me. Good job on running and power walking. Are you trying to extend the time of the running?

I did nothing today but will be running in the morning for hopefully an hour to get back on track. I will then work in the garden for a few hours and if my legs can take it I will mow my lawn lastly. I haven't run since Monday and I really miss it.

Tanya - glad that you are feeling better. I think it is wise not to push yourself.

Does anyone have any good plans for the weekend?

Ang

kalei
07-24-2004, 03:44 AM
Hi everyone!
Thanks for the welcome messages...

ShyAngel - I have been focusing on my food intake and I realize that the next step is to get moving! As for exercise, I walk sometimes but I really want to get into running and kickboxing..

This may be a strange question for everyone but I was wondering if you all run alone? I am away at school right now and where I live is safe but for some reason I feel uneasy about it! I don't have a running buddy as of yet but I should probably look into that.

So what do you guys do about safety and how often do you run? I guess those are two questions I have on the way to me starting my running program! Thanks again :)

Tig
07-24-2004, 09:04 AM
I always run with my dearest Hubster when running outside. I live in a very safe area but I wouldn't run by myself. If I fall or get run over by a car, at least somebody will know. Pretty cheery, huh? :)

If I'm going to run by myself, I go to the gym.

A suggestion:
There seem to be running clubs everywhere. The advantage of a running club is that they typically meet at the same day/time for runs. With a club, you won't be restricted by that single running buddy who isn't available or suddenly drops or changes their mind or schedule. And of course, the safety in numbers works for you, too.

cac
07-24-2004, 01:26 PM
Hi everyone,

It is raining in my part of the world. I went to jag yesterday in the rain and ended up walking. I am going to have to figure out what to do on raining days. I did not like yesterday at all! Maybe I'll do yoga.

cac

shyangel
07-24-2004, 08:18 PM
Kalei - I aim to run 4 times a week for at least 30 minutes a time and better if I get to 45 minutes or more. I either run with my running club or by myself. I have no problems running alone in my town. You can wear an id tag of some sort for emergencies if you are worried. I wouldn't recommend running in an isolated spot of course, but sometimes running alone can be good for you. I love the club too and recommend a mix.

If you are just starting out running you may need to mix walking and running until you are able to run the whole time. There are a lot of programs out there to choose from that all use the same basic idea. Coolrunning.com has a c25k program that a lot of people use.

Tig is just super lucky that she has a hubster to run with. :D If I did then I wouldn't run alone either.

cac - did you do yoga? It rained here today so I didn't run either. :( What alternatives do we have if we don't belong to a gym? Suggestions anyone?

Ang

Tig
07-25-2004, 09:23 PM
Went to the gym on Friday and ran a straight 25 minutes on the DTM. Did the same today. I'm thinking about upping the time to 30 minutes. I'd really like to run the entire 5K in the fall. :dance:

cac
07-26-2004, 07:21 AM
Hi everyone

ang - Saturday it let up enought I went out. And to my surprise I jogged (very slow) the whole 4.5 miles. That evening I went to a wedding were I danced for about 3 hours straight. Sunday was a rest day! Todoay I will do the elipse fo 40 minutes.

I only have gym access two days a week. What I am going to do for days when it rains and I don't have access is yoga or palets. I purchased DVDs about a year ago and do the yoga dvd speratically. The dvd is great and is has diffenernt levels. I just need to do it more often.

cac

2cutekids
07-26-2004, 12:07 PM
Hi everyone I got my first run in today. 25 min. I was on the treadmill. I do a lot on the treadmill. I also have a neighbor that runs outside and will run with her or a group. I go when ever I can find the time.I will also run by myself. I live in a small and very safe town with walking paths and good road. The treadmill works the best for me because the kids can watch some TV and I can see what they are doing. I also Still am a kids at heart I love cartoons.
Well so far I am feeling better. I hope that the next set of test will show what is wrong. Aug 4 I hope to get some more info.
Well I hope that everyone one get their run in and the weather is good for you all.
Tanya

shyangel
07-27-2004, 10:03 AM
Hello All -

Tig: congratulations on running a straight 25 minutes. Increasing your time to 35 minutes sounds great. Do you think you can do that in one jump or will you increase slower, like to 30 minutes first? You'll be flying through that 5k in no time.

cac: wow, 4.5 miles! Don't worry about time now, it will come. I run very slowly too but not quite as slow as when I started. It's about the intensity for you, not speed, just keep pushing yourself a little. Sounds like an activity packed Saturday though. Any running since? I haven't been out for a week. :( I'm trying to deal with some things in my life and just let running suffer. I can't even blame it on the weather.

Tanya: glad to hear you are feeling well enough to run. How do you feel today?

I need a kick to get running again. Even though my eating hasn't been too bad, I feel like I have gained a couple of pounds in the last week because of no running. I have been working the farm but I don't think that is aerobic enough.

Have a great day everyone and happy running.

Ang

shyangel
07-28-2004, 10:44 PM
I still need that kick. No running again tonight. It's only been a week but seems like forever. I never thought it would be this hard to start up again. I'll take any suggestions. These are the times when I really wish I had a running buddy to physically pull me out of the house.

How's everyone doing with their lives and running?

Ang

LKTS
07-29-2004, 01:11 AM
Kalei: I usually run alone; in fact I don't think I've ever had a consistent partner that I've run or walked with. I prefer going by myself because I find it lots more relaxing. But of course I don't run at night in sketchy areas or on dangerous streets or anything.

Ang, I hope that you can 'shake the lead out' sometime soon. Most of the time I don't feel like exercising; it's just the long-term results that get me going (when I don't whimp out, lol).

I'm proud of myself b/c I'm in the midst of a two week training course and I've still been following my running schedule, although I adjusted it from M/W/F to T/R/Sat. Unfortunately, I've been eating too much junk too...

shyangel
07-29-2004, 11:02 AM
I hope I get going too. There is a run with my group tonight that I think I will make. The weird thing is that I like to exercise but when I feel down I can't even imagine doing anything that feels good. It probably doesn't help that I am not getting any results from the running (e.g. losing weight or inches). I'll let you know if I go tonight.

Congratulations Laura on keeping up with your running and being flexible. I hear you about the food though. Are you eating junk at training?

Ang

gatsby
07-29-2004, 10:49 PM
Hi all,

i haven't posted in a while because i haven't ran for over a week.
but today i went running with my clinic and it went really well! i was surprised becasue i haven't ran since two thursaday ago. this is what we did:
walk 5mins,
run 5mins, walk 1min X 3
run 2mins
so i ran for a total of 17mins, oof

well you guys are doing so well. congrats on the good work :bravo:

sometimes the hardest part is putting on the shoes and going through the door but that effort is worth it and it only takes about five minutes. once you're outside you just GO. and you feel great, physically, and psychologically. just knowing that you did something that seemed so hard to do, when you felt that you had no energy has benefits beyond weight loss and fitness.
ahem...hope i don't trip as I step down from the soapbox...
so great going ladies

gen

shyangel
07-29-2004, 10:55 PM
gen - great to hear that you got back out there. Do you think you will go again soon? I.e. was this the first step to getting back into a regular running routine? I hadn't run in over a week either. I went out today for 3 miles with my running club. It is amazing how much easier it is to get out there when other people are involved. Now that I have gotten back out I think I can go back to getting myself out there. I hope to run tomorrow night after work.

It felt really good to run. gen - you are absolutely right on.

Ang

Sweater Girl
07-30-2004, 09:49 AM
I had my first clinic last wednesday. Although I have been running for four years, I am doing a learn to run, since all my running before involved me, running slow with no real technique, so I decided to try from the beginning with new people. I find running with others pushes me to run much faster!

Cheers!

Tig
07-30-2004, 09:39 PM
I ran early EARLY Tuesday morning. 15 minutes running; 2 minute walk; 15 minutes running. Total of 53 minutes: 30 minutes running and 23 minutes walking.

I've found I can run longer on the DTM than I can on the street. Humidity factor? My next OUTSIDE run, I'm going for 20 minutes straight.

Tomorrow might be a gym run, but it will be a run. Tuesday is Run Day. And then one day on the weekend. hmmm....need to pick a third day...

shyangel
07-30-2004, 10:37 PM
Hi Everyone.

Ali - goo luck with the group stuff. I started with a running group in April and really feel like it motivates me and pushes me to run faster and further. You can also learn so much from being around other runners. What did you do at the first clinic? Is it once a week?

Tig - congratulations on lengthening your running. There is definitely a big difference between outdoor and indoor running. I went from track to streets and even found quite a difference. Part is probably the weather, but also the terrain. I would guess that you get more variability in the levelness when you are outside. Good luck with the 20 minutes straight. You are right that a third day would be good.

I can't believe it but I feel asleep when I got home and did not run or anything. Oh well, there is always tomorrow. I will definitely run and then I should run on Sunday morning too. Sunday is the running club run and my partners want me to join them for 6 miles! Yikes, since I have never run over 5 and that was only once. It is especially bad timing since I have only run once in the past 10 days. I guess I'll give it a try though.

Ang

Tig
08-01-2004, 08:19 PM
I love reading everyone's posts. Thanks to all of you for sharing - you're keeping me energized with all you are doing! :cp:

I ran 25 minutes today on the DTM. I walked 2, ran 25, then walked 8 for a total of 35 minutes. I followed with 30 minutes on the ETM and then {gasp} decided to try some of the weight machines. :strong: I worked on my abs and I think tomorrow is going to be an Ibuprofen day. :lol:

I do love the follow up with the jacuzzi. The water was 103* today - FINALLY warmer than body temperature!

shyangel
08-01-2004, 09:24 PM
I ran most of a 6.25 mile route this morning. Legs were dead when I started and even worse by the end but I did it with only walking about a 1/2 mile in the last mile. This was by far the longest that I ever ran. Now I just need to keep it up.

Good job to all those that are running. Have a great week!

Tig
08-03-2004, 07:00 AM
Good News: Running
Good News: Wind
Good News: Running with the Wind
Bad News: None ;)

Walked 10 minutes, ran 15 minutes, walked two minutes, ran 15 minutes, walked 12 minutes for a total of 54 minutes. It was 77* with 94% humidity when we left the house at 5:30 this morning. I am still working on cooling down!

I was pleasantly surprised that my distance increased, so I've evidently picked up the pace. Extending the time needs to be next...

2cutekids
08-03-2004, 08:51 AM
HI everone sorry that I ahve not been on but we were away for afew days. I ran yesterday andf hope to get one in to day. Going in for my camera tomorrow and hope to find out some more info on the problem but so far I have been fine.
WOW the running that has been going on is great. Everyon has been getting in such great lengths and great to see everyon is back in to running again.
Well on to my next day. Hope that everyone has a great one.
Tanya

shyangel
08-03-2004, 09:21 AM
Great job Tig! Are you thinking about increasing the time of your running versus the walking? It must be hard to run in such weather and at 5:30am. It was pretty humid here over the weekend (still is) and it definitely takes its toll.

Good luck Tanya. I'm glad you haven't had pain recently. I hope you enjoyed your time away. Were you on vacation?

No exercise for me yesterday. I got stuck running errands and by the time I was ready to get out it was almost 8. The sun doesn't stay up as long as it used to so I figured it wouldn't be safe to go out at twilight. :( Tonight is my track workout so hopefully I'll make it.

Ang

shyangel
08-04-2004, 09:58 AM
I made it to my track workout but had a terrible time. My mind got in the way and I couldn't concentrate on running. Got in a good 1.25miles and then a little walking and jogging so not a total loss but since I'm not running tonight I am a little disappointed and frustrated with myself. Grrr...

Ang

2cutekids
08-04-2004, 09:26 PM
Hi everyone still nothing. I am going to wait to hear from my Dr. and see what she says. I hope that it doesn't come back. If it does I will get to her firstRather that seeing a Dr. here were we live. She is only 1 hour away. That way may be we can get some were faster if it hits again.
Well no running in today but am hoping to get some in tomorrow. Looks like everyone is still trying there best to get their running in even with the wheather. Hope that everyone keeps up that great work.
Tanya

Tig
08-04-2004, 10:35 PM
Wow, ang. Isn't it the truth - 90% mental and 10% physical! Here's hoping you get the cobwebs cleared away, soon. Remember how you do it so you can coach the rest of us when we hit that wall!

Hope your plan works to get in some running tomorrow, Tanya.

I leave in the morning for a quick business/pleasure trip and return late Sunday night to go on a week-long class out of town. And then next Sunday leave for another week long business trip. The good news is that almost all hotels have a fitness room of some type, so if nothing else, I'll be making friends with different pieces of equipment in varying states of repair. I'm taking laundry detergent with me. I can't bear to not do laundry for two weeks straight!

I've been thinking today how lucky we are to be able to run. I saw the doc today and he said to keep on doing what I'm doing. PERMISSION TO RUN!!! Woooo hoooooo!!! :dance:

Sweater Girl
08-05-2004, 09:32 AM
I ran with my clinic last night with a one minute run/one minute walk. Did well so I am happy. I wasn't landing properly, so my leader made sure to get me in a heel/toe rhythm and my running became so much more powerful since I am taking full advantage of my huge quadracepts now... I guess it's due to aerobics where you're encouraged to land on your whole foot kind of deal. So I have been doing that wrong for four years.... oopsies.

shyangel
08-05-2004, 02:41 PM
Hi Everyone.

I'm still trying to clear my mind. I am seriously considering blowing off my club run tonight as I have no motivation and I'm not sure anyone is going to be there. I know, I could just run myself, but that requires even more motivation. If I figure out how to get out of this funk I will definitely take notes for the future. :)

Tanya - I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that the pain doesn't come back. Were you able to run today?

Tig - I hope you had fun on your trips and met some nice workout equipment. :lol: Did you get out and run or just use the fitness rooms?

I talked to some people recently about running on their vacations. It sounds really nice and a good way to see some of the sites with a different perspective. If I ever take a vacation I'll have to try it. Anyone ever run on vacation in the area to scope out the sites?

Ali - so glad you are getting so much out of your clinic. It must be great to have someone there who can instruct you that way. I wonder if there are any running clinics or coaches in my area. :shrug: my club is good but no one really gives advice, just encouragement.

Happy running and whatever else life brings your way. Ang

2cutekids
08-05-2004, 02:49 PM
HI everyone I did get that run in this morning and weights too. I hope to get a long on in tomorrow only an 25 min one today but better that nothing.
Tig have a great trip. you must love when the Dr. give the OK.
Ali great job on gettting the run. I know that I try my best to keep that in my mind heel toe. I learned that from walking same goes there. Trying to prevent shin splits.
Ang you go to the run clinic. YOu need to get back out there. The longer you stop the easier it is to not go back GET OUT THERE.
Well everyone have a great day.
Tanya

Tig
08-06-2004, 08:28 PM
Ali, the heel/toe rhythm sounds interesting. Was it hard to make the change?

Ang, Put your running shoes on when it's time to go to the club meeting. Then just put ONE foot out the door. You'll figure out what to do next... ;)

Tanya, run AND weights?! HURRAY for you!

Speaking of which, where is everybody else? What's going on with YOU , Dear Lurker?

I met some old, decrepit equipment today in the fitness room, but I discretely averted my eyes and ran 20 minutes and walked 10. No running outside for me today - the thermometer topped out at 101*. Of course, the humidity was only 85%, so it wasn't NEARLY as bad as home. WHAT was my excuse again for not running outside? :lol:

shyangel
08-06-2004, 11:48 PM
Tanya - 25 minutes is great for a run, and weights too. Good for you. :strong: Did you get your longer run in today? How long are your long runs?

I didn't go to the run last night because no one else in the club was going. I did work in the garden for 2 hours though so I got in some activity. I plan on running 4 miles minimum tomorrow morning. I hope it doesn't rain. I know I need to get out there and start getting into a routine, especially before the bad weather hits. Thanks everyone for the encouragement. I'll let you know if I go out tomorrow.

Tig - I totally don't blame you for not running outside - 101* - yikes! :flame: Good job on getting in your 30 minutes. :bravo: You are definitely dedicated. I'm glad your doctor supports your running. Isn't it nice to know that someone else also sees that it is benefitting you? :)

Ali - have you been out to run again? How is everyone else doing with their running?

Ang

Tig
08-07-2004, 10:21 PM
I ran and walked again this morning on the DTM and then followed up with some pool time. Don't get too excited, I have to confess my pool time was walking in the water, not swimming. I've got some fears to overcome. drat. But I was exercising my legs and arms.

I did have some magnificent quality 10 minutes in the jacuzzi. ahhhhhh. Hot Swirly Water. Did I say ahhhhhh? :dance:

Sweater Girl
08-08-2004, 09:39 AM
Tig: I've been doing okay with the new rhythm, it makes me run fairly fast so I am happy with that:) Walking in water is exercise, lost of resistance. I am no where near a strong swimmer. I am tempted to take some stroke improvement classes at the pool at some point. Jacuzzi=good:)

Ang: I've been running on and off for 4 years. I started when I was 220lbs so that was a while ago. It's almost been 4 years since I dropped below the 200lb mark! yah:)

Tanya: I was huge into aerobics for years and there you basically land more often with the front of your foot (well you try to land on your whole foot) so I got used to that then, so yeah, changing my run has improved it loads... good luck to you!

I got new shoes (apparently 3 year old shoes probably aren't the best ;) ) so I got a pair of Sauconey Hurricaines and they are super comfortable with good ankle support (I am pigeon toed <aka my feet turn in>) so I am happy with my purchase!

Cheers!

shyangel
08-09-2004, 10:41 AM
Good job Tig. Walking in the pool is very good for you - don't discount it. I took a water class once and there was no swimming, just walking and moving in the water - great for toning - a good complement to your running and walking. The jacuzzi sounds wonderful! :D

Ali - good to hear you bought new shoes. Have you noticed a difference in your running with them?

I got out and ran 45 minutes on Saturday morning. Unfortunately when I measured it with my car - first mistake - it was only about 4 miles. :( While running it I didn't think I was moving that slowly. At least I got out there. A change in schedule prevented me from exercising on Sunday but I did get in a few hours in the garden. I know picking vegetables and watering doesn't burn a lot of calories, but at least it is better than sitting on the couch and eating. I hope to run tonight a little.

Happy Monday.
Ang

2cutekids
08-09-2004, 02:47 PM
HI everyone. Great to see that everyone has been doing their running. I have been soing mine too. We were gone again for a couple of days.
Was use as a long run now is anything over 45 min. I was ale to get that in on Friday. I did a intervile run in this morning.
Ali I try to keep up my running shoe. My husband gets made because I change them so often. I usually change about every 6-10 months.
Ang I know what you mean about thinking that you are runnig farther that you think. I know that on the treadmill I think that I am going fast but outside I can do a little fast. Average 5.5 mile on the tread and outside is about 6.0mile.
tig Keep up that great work on getting out. Kepp up that great work.
Tanya

Tig
08-10-2004, 06:34 AM
Quick hello to all! I'm in a very intense class all week - meets from 8-6:30. I got in 30 minutes on the DTM last night. I ran for a bit, but it was narrow, so I walked as intently and fast as I could. It really felt good. Maybe I can increase my running time and get back to my usual.

cac
08-10-2004, 07:26 AM
Hi everyone,

I am back from vacation. It was a bike tour a Maine. The running shure helped my lung compacity up the hills. Yesterday i did 40 minutes on the elipse on level 2 and I will repeat that today. wed is weights (upper body/rest legs) and thursday I will run.

It sounds like everyone is doing well

Does any one have a web site or book suggestion for fundementals of running?

cac

2cutekids
08-10-2004, 02:13 PM
Hi all.
cac that is great that you were able to keep up th running while you were gone. I kow how hard that is.
Tig great to hear that you got 30 mins. in That is better than nothing and I am sure you keep increasing you time.
Well I did get my run in this morning 25 min and some weights. Hope to get some in tomorrow too.
Tanya

Sweater Girl
08-10-2004, 02:22 PM
2cutekids: Yup 6-10 months seem to be the average for most from what I have seen.

Cac: today is my legs workout... I am doing my bi/back on Thurs and my tris and chest on Friday. I want to get back into a good routine.

ang: my new shoes are much more comfortable actually!!

Cheers!

shyangel
08-10-2004, 07:31 PM
Everyone is doing great. I wish I could say the same. Got a call from an old friend and missed my track workout tonight and can't find the motivation to do something on my own. I envy all of you your dedication.

cac - what types of fundamentals on running are you looking for? workouts, nutrition, form?

Ali - I'm glad your new shoes are working well for you. Good shoes can make all the difference in the world.

Tanya - glad to see you're back in action. Still no pain? Great job on the running and weights.

Tig - so great that you are getting your exercise even with such a long and intense class.

Ang

Tig
08-11-2004, 06:33 AM
Welcome back, cac. Good work ang, Tanya, Ali!

Just a quick peek before I leave for Day 3 of the class. I didn't make it to the DTM last night, but I did go outside after I ate dinner to the jacuzzi which was REALLY hot. After being in a cold conference room all day, it was glorious for my poor legs. Twenty minutes of pure pleasure, then I came back in for more studying.

LKTS
08-11-2004, 12:52 PM
Hi all - great to see everyone's determined progress. I am running tonight and hope to get back to the 5k training schedule. I'm a bit behind due to messing w/ my days during my two weeks of training, but I'm hoping I'll be able to catch up, or at least not disgrace myself @ the 5k next month! :lol:

shyangel
08-11-2004, 02:05 PM
Since I missed my workout last night I was determined to run this morning, at least last night I was determined. This morning not so much so - the bed is just too comfortable. I did bring my clothes and ran at lunch for 40 minutes. I don't generally run at work and it is quite hilly, but I am very glad I went. At least now I know that I ran today. It was almost more of a psychological thing. I need to get into a schedule and was thinking that I should pick two days a week to run at work and just stick to it.

Laura - I'm glad you are getting back to your running schedule. I am sure you will do great at your 5k next month. Don't over do it trying to get back on track. Listen to your body. Good luck.

Tig - envious again that you got to go in the jacuzzi. ;) I bet your legs will be better than before when you get back to running.

Ali - doyou use a specific workout plan for lifting? I need to get into it but have some block going on in my head that I can't quite figure out.

Happy Hump Day! Ang

cac
08-11-2004, 05:24 PM
shyangel- glad you were able to run at lunch.

Ang- I am looking for information on from. I figure even though I am slow, if I work on form as I improve I am less likely to injur myself.

I did yoga this morning and upper body last night. Thursday morning I am going to jog and walk 4.5 miles. I also ordered a stretching tape yesterday. I know I need to improve on this area.

Good luck everyone,

cac

shyangel
08-11-2004, 10:09 PM
cac - Good luck finding something on form. I have talked to a number of people and read a lot of stuff and no one really has given me any great insight into a running form. There may be a "running for dummies" book or information on sites like coolrunning.com. If you find anything please let us know.

Congratulations on your workouts. 4.5 miles is a lot - good for you.

I used to be a lot more flexible when I did Tae Kwon Do but you really need to do it regularly or you lose it. :( What tape did you get?

Ang

Sweater Girl
08-12-2004, 08:43 AM
Ang: I've been doing weights on and off for three years. I might try and find a program on the net to do though since I think I need some direction, BUT I cannot afford a trainer right now. I am splitting it into three days 1-legs 2- back and biceps 3-chest, tris and shoulders. Once my gym opens a branch near me (soon I hope) I'll be doing 4 times a week putting shoulders and calves into one workout. I shall see. I just want firmer mucles and less flab (still have loose skin though:( ). I am thinking of trying a body flow class (a mix of yoga and tai chi) since my flexibility sucks:(.

Cac: Keep your body as straight as possible. You don't need a long stride at all. Shoulders back, hips forward, chest up, neck looking straight. I am not that fast either, but have been improving.

Cheers!

Ali

cac
08-12-2004, 10:54 AM
Good morning all,

The park part of my run (3.3 miles) I did in 45 minutes. What an improvement. I was just in a great frame.

The site I order my tape from in www.gaiam.com. They are having a close out on their tapes. I have liked all the products I have gotten from them.

cac

LKTS
08-12-2004, 11:52 AM
Cac, thanks for the link. I have several tapes from Gaiam and I really like them. Looks like they have some great sales at the moment, and I've been meaning to get a yoga mat.

My run last night went ok - the shins were a bit crampy when I started, but I eventually got them stretched out. It feels so good to exercise once you start!

shyangel
08-12-2004, 10:54 PM
Ali - 3 years is a long time to lift weights, have you noticed changes in your definition and/or strength? Right now I would have to use dumbells since I don't belong to a gym. Maybe in September if I get off my butt and look into it. In some ways I just don't know where to start to make sure my routine is not wasting my time. This seems like a good website if you're interested. She has a dumbell plan that I printed and thought I'd use if I ever start. :)

http://www.stumptuous.com/weights.html

cac - thanks for sharing the link. Sales are always great. Superb job on your run! Isn't it great to see improvements?

I ran tonight for another 40 minutes (different route). I don't know if it is my body and lack of regular exercise or the humidity, but my legs did not want to go for longer. I guess 40 minutes is better than nothing.

Laura - good job running. Do you specifcally stretch your 'shins'?

No running for me tomorrow. Everyone have a great Friday!

Ang

2cutekids
08-13-2004, 02:54 PM
HI everyone I didn't think that I was one that long till I started to read. Well I was albe to get a run in today and yesterday. Wednesday I did walk. Need to take a day off every once in awhile.
That is great to see everyone getting some running in. Will try again tomorrow. things are going well but not in my eating I will have to change my curent weight. I am up 8 pounds. I know once I start to eat better I will be OK.
Tanya

Tig
08-14-2004, 12:39 PM
I only got in one run this past week, but that's one more than zero!! ;)

I leave for another week-long business trip tomorrow.

I enjoyed reading what everyone is doing - keeps me motivated! :dance:

shyangel
08-14-2004, 08:02 PM
Tanya - glad to hear that you are running regularly. Keep up the good work. You definitely need to take a day off once in a while to let your body recup.

Tig - one run is definitely better than nothing. Do you think you can run on your business trip?

I ran this morning for 43 minutes. It was at midday so it was hot and I felt like crap but I did it. I am happy that I did it. I can only hope that if I stick with it I will improve. I seem to be running worse than I did a month or so ago and I'm not sure why. Do you all think the humidity could be making that much of a difference?

Ang

almostheaven
08-14-2004, 09:49 PM
There are a lot of runners at my office. That's what got me started. I run about 2.5 miles every other day, and either do aerobics or walking in between. I'm running between 9.5 and 10 minute miles...depending. When I run 3 miles, it's closer to 10, when I run 2, it's closer to 9.5. :D

The people at work directed me to http://www.coolrunning.com/. They give you plenty of information on form, what type of shoes to buy, clothes, etc. Very in depth site devoted to running.

Sweater Girl
08-15-2004, 07:06 AM
Hi all,

I was suppose to meet some ladies to run with on Friday, since the weather was bad, only one lady showed up so we ran together. She's from Montreal like me, but moved to Ottawa in her early 20s. I ran yesterday so that was good as well. My endurance is improving like crazy.
I am trying to run 3-4 times a week. I gotta get my bike back into ridable condition since I like variety and feel I should be adding a few more cardio sessions in during the week.

I had a heavy meal for my dad's bday last night so I am feeling not the greatest, but I could have done a lot worse then I did (I had rotissorie chicken and fries and a very WW friendly dessert).

Ang: I have been blessed with a very muscular body to begin with so when I work out consitantly with weights and my BF% is low (mine isn't as low as I like it right now. I am about 162 and I look best between 145-150lbs, but the weight is coming off yah!) my muscles do show well (my legs do right now anyway, I have monster calves). I will try to get three WT workouts this week. About running while humid, YES!! It makes a huge difference. They recommend when the humidity is high not to push as much either.

Tanya: I know, I have struggled with my eating for the past 2 years and went from 145lbs up to 169.5 (luckily I am heading back down again, I've gotten it together with my eating). It's tough, but you seem determined and the exercise does help so much.

Tig: Good Luck on your business trip!

Almost heaven: Welcome! You're so close to goal to congrats! I had to stop in Concord once (on my way to Boston)! Beautiful city!

Cheers!

Ali

cac
08-16-2004, 07:57 AM
Hi everyone,

I ran my 4.5 mile route on Friday and Sunday. I had to take Saturday off as my quads were very sore. Ihad been concentrating on heal /tow movement on Friday and what a difference it made during running - but I felt it later. Today and Tuesday I will be doing 40 minutes on the elipse (level 2) I may try for level three.

Hope everyone has a good day,

cac

2cutekids
08-16-2004, 03:05 PM
HI everyone I have been still running but the eating has not got better yet. That is coming. For some reson I seem to do better in the winter for eating. I am not sure if anyone else has that problem too. I was able to get down to 143 at one point this winter but we went on holidays and gained it back. And it is still coming back. I know that is my biggest problem for me Working out has not been a problem for me in the last 3 years. After my son I was able to get back in to workouts but the eating has to get better and keep the new eating habits.
Well I did a run this morning and weights. I did an intervil yesterday Run on saturday and weights. I think that I will try for a long run tomorrow. About an hour.
Well great to see new people. Welcome almostheaven. I hope that you will like it here with us.
Everyone keep up the great work.
Tanya

shyangel
08-17-2004, 01:00 PM
Just a quick check-in. Everyone seems to be doing great. I am a little ashamed at myself for letting rain keep me from running Sunday and Monday. :( Rain or shine I plan on getting out tonight. Hopefully I'll still feel this way at 6:30 when it is time to leave for my track workout. Right now I have a migraine so I'm not sure what will happen.

Tanya - take one thing at a time, that's what I am trying to do. Is there anything in particularly about your eating that you know is not good?

Great job cac. Did you get to level 3?

Ali - don't you hate it when you are supposed to meet people and then they don't show up? I am having that trouble with my running club. People have not been too enthusiastic so I'm not so gung ho either. Unfortunatley I need them to stay motivated. Hopefully we'll rally now for the fall. There are 4 races that I am considering running (probably too much money to run all of them) so I need to get 'ready' for them and sign up if I'm going to participate. Anyway, good for you Ali for running anyway.

Tig
08-17-2004, 09:44 PM
Hello all! Quick check in before bedtime. I ran 25 minutes on the DTM and walked 5 this morning. It was a brand I've never run on before so I didn't run as fast as I usually do - that seemed to work out really well for me. I was finished by 6:00 so had time to get ready and meet the rest of the team in the lobby for breakfast by 7.

Then this evening after supper (too much fat and salt, of course) one of the team members and I went for a long walk in a nearby neighborhood. Very energizing.

I go home Thursday night. I hope to continue getting up early and running. Maybe I can join the jillions of squealing kids in the pool and hit the hot tub tomorrow night.

shyangel
08-17-2004, 09:48 PM
Tig - it sounds like your week is going really well. Although the squealing kids don't sound too appealing, the hot tub sounds great. I hope that when I go away on business in September, the hotel has a nice exercise room and a pool with hot tub.

I went to my track workout tonight and probably ran a total of 4 or 5 miles. Most of it was broken up into 400m but it's still running.

Goodnight.

Sweater Girl
08-18-2004, 10:32 AM
I am down .5lbs... When I first lost weight even at the same weights 3 1/2 years ago, it was faster, but gotta remind myself, it's a lifestyle, not a race.

Tanya: A lot of people find the routine you can get into in the winter easier to sustain than in the Summer where so much happens (beer, BBQ parties, DQ).

Ang: I am just doing one race this falla nd plan to do the Resolution Run on NYE which will be interesting. I'll probably aim for the 10K then. I know races can get expensive. I have a run tonight which I am looking forward to...

Tig: glad you're able to keep up with exercise while you're away!

Cheers!

Ali

cac
08-18-2004, 01:03 PM
Hi everyone,

I ran my 4.5 mile route today. It is getting easier. I would like it to be real easy by October. This way I'll keep it up through the winter.

cac

shyangel
08-19-2004, 10:00 AM
Congratulations Ali on losing 0.5 lbs. This is definitely a lifestyle change so then you don't have to go through it ever again. :D Don't forget that 3 1/2 years changes a body too. As I get older nothing is the same as it once was. :o Try to be patient and stick with it. If you're losing then you are doing something right and that means that if you keep with it you will eventually get to where you want to be. btw - you may need to remind me of this at times because I get really impatient too. :lol:

cac - good job on the 4.5 miles. Are your times getting faster or do you just feel like it is not so difficult to finish the run? These days I am struggling around 4 miles even though a couple months ago I was running a little longer. I seem to have gone backwards and don't know what I am doing wrong that is keeping me from progressing.

I hope to run today - 45 minutes is the goal (don't do distances around my house).

LKTS
08-19-2004, 12:59 PM
Hi all,
I did 40 min with intervals of running and walking last night. At some point I broke through the 'wall' and started to enjoy it rather than hate every step. I remember that feeling from when I used to run before, so hopefully it will again appear soon!

Sweater Girl
08-19-2004, 01:27 PM
Ang: No worries, I dish the same advice to people all the time;) Just gotta keep reminding myself... slow and steady, slow and steady. Well metabolism does slow down in ones 20s I guess.

BTW, I am filling in for an EA today and right in front of me there are containers full of jelly beans, jujubes and other candies, I am stronger than those;)

Cac: you'll be there by October. BTW are you in Northern NY or Southern?

Laura: I had a runner's high last night and that felt good:)

Cheers!

Ali

shyangel
08-19-2004, 01:49 PM
Great job Laura. When running is fun it is so much easier to get out there and run more.

I ran today for 46 minutes on a new route around my house. The second half was brutal on my legs and not at all fun. I am amazed I did not walk at all. Maybe I'll get that runner's high again sometime too. :)

Ali - yea! runner's highs all around. You are stronger than those candies! I'm glad that I don't particularly care for nonchocolate candies. I make up for it though in how much I like chocolate. hehe

2cutekids
08-19-2004, 03:17 PM
Hi everyone Things are going well. Running and weights. My eating is getting better right now. I know that I can do this for awhile. I hope to get back down to 150. I can't think what totally makes bme binge. Stress, bordom or just the love of food. I have not been able to pin point it.
Well it sounds like everyone one is getting that runners high. That is so great. I remeber that first one. What a feeling. Everyone keep it up.
Last night I was at a meeting that they are trying to start a running/walking club here in town. I hope that there is enough people interested. Last night for no adv out in the town paper we had 12 people(5,000 people live here) I think that they had a great turn out. We are going to start to run Sat. morn at 8:00.
Well I am going to take tomorrow off. I have been running almost everyday.
Everyone have a great run.
Tanya

Tig
08-19-2004, 09:36 PM
Home, home, home!

I ran yesterday morning on the DTM - 25 minutes running with a warm up and cool down total of 5 minutes. I didn't run this morning, but did walk and walk and walk in the Atlanta airport. Frustration over missing a flight is a great movitator. Me and my jillions of new-found friends. It was a rough day at the airport.

BUT I'm HOME!

Sweater Girl
08-20-2004, 09:56 AM
I'll run today and Sunday and hopefully do some WT tomorrow and maybe a bike ride? I'll see.

Tig: Gotta love airports. I remember having to walk through Heathrow once, I think my flight to Montreal was at the absolute farthest gate and I weighed 243lbs at that point. I don't think it was a coincidence that I joined WW the week after;) Sorry about your flight though. BTW (sorry to sound Geographically challenged here), were you affected by teh Hurricanes at all?

Ang: I am running for 3 walking for 1 right now and notice my actual speed has increased tons. Next week we'll have a 4 and 1 split. We're working to a 10 and one.

Tanya: just letting you know you're not alone with the binging (I have struggled with it for the past 2.5 years, but it is under control now). The reasons for binging can be so complex too, mine was to avoid I think mostly. Take care eh!

Cheers!

Ali

shyangel
08-20-2004, 11:34 PM
Tanya - I hope the running club works out for you. I think 12 out of 5000 is amazing. I'm hoping my running club picks up its enthusiasm soon. GReat job with running almost everyday. Still pain free?

Tig - I can't believe how much you worked out while you were away. You are an inspiration. I will think of you when I go on my trip next month and try to get in some exercise. Welcome home!

Ali - so good to hear your speed has increased. Did you run today as planned?

Nothing at all for me today and very bad eating out for the last 24 hours. I need to get back on the 'program' tomorrow and get this new weight back off and get on track. It always seems to happy that as soon as I start to lose and do well I have a relapse. I'm sure there is some psychology to it all (subconscious sabotage?).

Tomorrow I hope to mow some of lawn then bike to farm (~9.5 miles) where I will do farm stuff (light activity these days), and then bike home (mostly up hill I am afraid). Sunday will hopefully be a 6 mile run in the morning with club but only time will tell.

LKTS
08-22-2004, 09:20 PM
Well, I went running yesterday (Saturday); it went ok, steady 2/4 min run/walk splits. I did something a little wonky to my ankle, though, and it has given me a few twinges. I was able to stretch it out today and go for a hike with a friend (2.5 mi with some hills) as well as do some weeding in the garden.

I'm going to have to adjust my running schedule this week since my fall night class starts on Wednesday. Happy new week, everyone!

Ilene
08-22-2004, 10:04 PM
Hello gang...

I'm fairly new to running. I've been running since December and I really like it. I'm trying to ween myself away from the treadmill and getting outside. I've only done it outside once so far :^:, yea pathetic I know! I ran 3K in all and slowed to a walk only 3 times once to warm up, once to take a break, once to cool-down. I can run 5K on the treadmill going up and down between 4.5mph - 6.mph...

Sorry to be so long winded here, but my question is this. Should one run every day? Or take a day break inbetween? I'm not sure. I also bike, I do 20K pretty much daily but not when I run. I also don't do cardio on days that I weight train legs.

Was just wondering what everyone else did...Thanks and TTFN ....

shyangel
08-22-2004, 10:57 PM
Laura - how did your ankle hold up with the hiking? Injuries are not a good thing. What is your fall night class in?

Welcome Ilene. Great job with your running.

Running outside is definitely different from running on a treadmill and you will have to get used to it. Don't be surprised when you can't run as much at first outside. Just keep at it. From most of the things I have read about running, especially at the beginning you should not run everyday to avoid overuse injuries. Since you bike you would probably be better off running 3 or 4 days a week and then biking the other days with maybe one day of complete rest. How often are you training your legs each week? This could be your rest day.

My goal is to run 3 (or 4) days a week and then bike (or some other aerobic activity) 2 other days a week. I know this is only moderate but it should be doable and that is the name of the game for me. I just want to lose weight and be healthy and be able to get in a routine I can maintain. What are your goals? Weight loss, running a marathon, etc.? The answers to these questions could change my response to your question. Glad to have you here and with more info I'm sure we can fully answer your question.

Sweater Girl
08-23-2004, 08:49 AM
I ran twice this weekend, 5kms on Saturday (alone) and 3.6 yesterday(with the group). I really need to cross train though. My weight is plateauing although my eating has been fabulous. Ah plateaus are soooo humbling, but hey no giving up from me. I have been getting into clothes that have been too tight so that's good:) Weight is just a number, weight is just a number, weight is just a number...

Illene: Welcome! Running inside and outside are so different, but I prefer the latter, especially as the fall is quickly coming. Hills add resistance and hey the beauty and splendor of nature always adds fun (especially dodging the chipmunks that run across the trail near my house). I have been running recreationally for 4 years and decided to join a group and that has made a huge difference too. Son't worry about taking walks every now and then, we do that in my clinic to help us build endurance. My clinic instructor has said 3-4 times a week should be good enough, crossing that with biking on other days should be good since they both used the muscles differently.

Laura: I so want to go hiking. I am getting a friend of mine to go hiking in a few weeks and hopefully will convince the boyfriend to go sometime in October during the absolutely beautiful fall display of colour. Becareful of your ankle, I have naturally weak ankles which I have built strength in in recent years (dropping 100lbs helps too), so I have to make sure my shoes have excellent ankle support.

Ang: How did your run go yesterday? Just curious, do you have any incling to run a marathon? I really think it would be awesome to run one, so I am thinking about it.

Cheers!

Ali

cac
08-23-2004, 12:09 PM
hi all,

Not sure what happened yesterday. I walked instead of running. Could not get the energy to run. Todya I ddi interval training on the tredmil for 20 minutes and upperbody.

cac

Ilene
08-23-2004, 12:28 PM
Thanks for your answers Ang and Ali...

To answer one of your questions Ang yes I would love to do a marathon or triathlon. There was one here a couple of weeks ago that I would love to do next year. There were several levels but the easiest one was the Try-a-tri which was 300m swim (in the St.Lawrence river!) 20k bike ride, 5k run... This is very doable for me, I just could not do it this year because of the swimming part I needed to train for this, this winter hubby and I will join a pool to do just that. The running "outside" was also detering me... Loosing weight, well who doesn't want to loose a few #s, but really I'd be happier if I lost body fat and went down in clothe size instead of the #s on the scale. I really think that if you do everything right, meaning exercise and eat healthy and clean unprocessed, don't fret too much about it, the weight and body fat MUST come down... It just takes patience... When I run on the treadmill I put it at a 2% incline, a guy at the Running Room suggested this would simulate being outside more... I think it has helped. I did run 3K in the neighborhood last week. It wasn't too bad, but boy my butt hurt when I got home, a good hurt tho...:lol:... Does anyone elses butt hurt after running?

Ali, I see that you're from Ottawa, I'm in Cornwall. There were several people from Montreal, Brockville, Kingston and Ottawa competing, maybe we could do this together? Wouldn't that be something?? I went this year as a spectator and I was impressed with some of the people doing the race and envious too... Your area has some beautiful trails in the Gatineau's I'd love to do that myself... Are you still running the 5k for "Run for the Cure" in October ?

I

LKTS
08-23-2004, 01:48 PM
Ilene, hi - I run every other day, and I would think that every day would be too much particularly if you're doing lifting and biking as well. I usually get some distance in walking everyday, though not too fast. My butt hurts some days after I run - it seems like every time another muscle sorta comes to the forefront and needs strengthening.

The hike was nice - 2.5 mi and it goes a lot faster when you have a friend to gossip w/ :) My ankle didn't give me any trouble once I stretched it out, but I sure can feel my hamstrings and quads this morning thanks to all the hills!

Ali, I did some damage to my ankles playing tennis in HS, so I'm not surprised that they're a little picky now. Usually I don't have trouble with them, but I should be careful to stretch, I know.

Ang, I'm taking a 20th Century European History class this semester; I'm getting my MA in history.

Cac, I have those days too - good for you that you stuck it out and did walking. Maybe you were just tired or fighting off a bug or just not in the mood. You'll get back in the swing of things, I'm sure.

I get to skip running today (thank goodness after that hike) and do it Tuesday, so that I'm on Tues/Thurs/Sat to accomodate my class. TTYL later!

Sweater Girl
08-23-2004, 04:50 PM
Illene: Yup I am running the "Run for the Cure" and I am so thankful for the date of it. My bday is the day before so I will have added inspiration (and an excellent excuse)not to go overboard with my food and probably will ignore the alcohol (I rarely drink anyway, I think all summer I have had 1 beer). I am so fortunate to live where I live. I live about 1km from the Ottawa-Carleton Trailway (goes from Bell's corners to Carleton Place). Did you see the National Capital Race weekend? I just saw it letting out since I was downtown that day and I thought to myself "I should be there running". It would be awesome to get a 3FC contingent at a race one day! BTW are there any Running Rooms in Cornwall? That's who I do my clinic through. It's really terrible though, I've lived in Ottawa for three years and never have walked through Gatineau Park. Don't worry my butt feels sore after running.

Laura: my BF still occasionally feels an injury from his high school rugby career days. He's fine most of the time. Awesome about the MA in history. I have my BA in history and love the subject loads. I specialized in Canadian and American history.

Cheers!

Ali

Ilene
08-23-2004, 05:21 PM
Hi Ali -- I think I saw the National Capical Race on the news, I'm not sure if it was that race or another ... There are so many on the go these days...UNFORTUNATELY, there are no Running Rooms in Cornwall...I was at the one on Bank in Ottawa a few weeks back. We go to Ottawa quite regularly, it's just a nice drive to get there. I go to the Eye Institute on Smyth and DD goes to CHEO ... I wish someone would open a Running Room in Cornwall, maybe eventually, because there is starting to be alot of runners around.

I did 5K on the :tread: today, I'm disappointed because I really wanted to run outside then it rained so I went to the gym and now it's clear as a bell outside, except for a good breeze! There's no way I could run again... Well maybe I can try after supper... Oh I'm babbling I know I probably won't go...

TTFN :wave:

Tig
08-23-2004, 08:01 PM
It was great to read what everybody is doing. I ran a total of three times last week on the DTM.

We ran early this morning before daybreak. I ran 20 minutes, walked two minutes and then ran another 15 minutes. It's starting to feel a tiny bit cooler. Not any less humid though. It felt great to get back to our early morning oh-dark-thirty routine.

I was in Orlando when Hurricane Charley headed towards Florida. We were sent home the day before Charley hit Orlando because of the storm path. We got a lot of wind at our house - we're about 60 miles east of Orlando, but no rain to speak of. We didn't get the severe weather like Orlando or even just north of us, and of course nothing like the southern part of the state. The power of wind and the ocean is humbling.

September is coming up - the beginning of the 5K races!! Hurray, hurray!!

shyangel
08-24-2004, 09:47 AM
Hi Everyone!

Wow, everyone is running so much. I wish I could get inspired again to really put running as a priority but it is not happening right now. I put the bf before running this weekend so I did not run Sunday morning. I did run yesterday at lunch for 30 minutes though. I felt bad when I started (legs tired) but actually seemed to feel better as I continued to run and loosen the muscles maybe. I could have gone another 10 minutes or so but always feel stressed and rushed when I run at lunch because it takes so long and I don't want to abuse the flexibility I have at work. Maybe tonight I will run with my club but I am so tired right now that I'm not sure what will happen. I also need to mow my lawn - isn't that what husbands are for? :lol: Since that's not going to happen I guess I need to get my butt out there.

Have a great Tuesday!

laura_on_a_bike
08-24-2004, 11:15 AM
hi everyone, i'm new to the board. i love to run but have had a hard time getting motivated to do so. i plan on checking in with this thread so that i have someone to answer to. hopefully that will get me away from the computer and out into the street. i used to run quite frequently and gave it up for a while to focuss on my riding. now i am using running as a cross training method but i have lost a lot of the progress gained by giving it up for so long. my goal is to get a run in 3 times a week right now and start building up. well, happy trails, im off to run.

laura

2cutekids
08-24-2004, 03:34 PM
Hi everyone sorry that I have not been on for awhile. Love seeing all the new People BIG WELCOMES.
Well have been getting my runs in. We have been having cold wheather and rain. I am so glad that we have the treadmill. I hope to get back on today .
Well I run about 4 days a week. I think that if you don't over do the runs you could go more. What I mean by don't over do is like only 2miles a day not the 6 or miles like some people do. I try to keep to 2-4 miles with one long run about 6 miles.some training show that you can go 6 days a week. I thin it just depends on what you are training for.
Well everyone have a great run and how to check in soon.
Tanya
P.S. I am getting my weight back down only 3 more pounds to go.

shyangel
08-24-2004, 03:57 PM
Welcome Laura and congratulations on all of your weight loss. You don't seem to be very far from your goal. Have you lost weight by biking? I also bike and love it. I wish I could ride more but I try to put most of my extra time into running because I wasn't losing any weight biking. Running is more efficient for me. Hmmm....come to think of it, I'm not losing weight running either....but I did in the past and keep hoping. How much do you ride?

Tanya - excellent running. I've been wondering lately what I am going to do when the bad weather gets here. I might have to find a treadmill. :( Congratulations on your weight loss. Have you been watching your eating closely too or just doing the running?

laura_on_a_bike
08-25-2004, 08:10 AM
Welcome Laura and congratulations on all of your weight loss. You don't seem to be very far from your goal. Have you lost weight by biking? I also bike and love it. I wish I could ride more but I try to put most of my extra time into running because I wasn't losing any weight biking. Running is more efficient for me. Hmmm....come to think of it, I'm not losing weight running either....but I did in the past and keep hoping. How much do you ride?

there wasnt a specific activity that made me lose weight.. staying active and religiously counting calories helped me lose weight. i started out losing weight by riding my bike because its low impact. i lose more weight when i run but im not biking to lose weight. i liked riding my bike so much that i race now. right now, we are in the downhill racing season so i've been riding road for endurance 3 days a weeks and focussing on building lower body stregnth by strength training 3 days a week. i've been trying to run at leat two days a week so i dont get so out of shape, because this winter cyclocross starts up and it involves running and biking. i mainly ride mountain bikes and in the spring and fall i ride more because the weather is better. but thats enough about rambling about bikes in a running thread.

i did go run yesterday. i ran hills for 20 minutes followed by a 20 minute jog home. im a little sore today but not too bad. nothing a little coffee wont fix. :coffee:

shyangel
08-25-2004, 10:15 AM
Laura - sounds like you do a lot of activity, which is great and cross training is always good.

I did get out last night and ran with a friend. I stayed back with her (although we ran faster) and ran 10/walk 3/ran 8/walk 3/ran 6/walk 10ish (I didn't keep track at the end). I definitely could have done more but it was good to get out and a nice social experience. Anything is better than nothing these days.

Framing tonight so no running. Tomorrow I should be doing 30 minutes at our club's pub run. Hopefully it won't ran.

LKTS
08-25-2004, 12:31 PM
Welcome Laura (from another Laura)! Your weightloss is impressive and it's great that you're keeping it off.

I finally got into a good rhythm yesterday, 1 min run/ 2 min walk alternating, but my shins still got tight despite my stretching. Maybe I need to find some yoga moves to do nightly to try to loosen things up, cause it's starting to tick me off!

Sweater Girl
08-25-2004, 12:59 PM
Hey all,

All my clothes are looser and my weight is up? Gosh, gotta love plateaus which I should call "maintanence practice", it's a lifestyle not a diet. Anyhoo, I ran on Monday and will run tonight. I weight trained my arms and back last night and they're sore now, which isn't a bad thing. I also did 25 minutes on the elliptical.

Illene: You could always email the running room and ask to see if they could consider opening one up in Cornwall. If they know there is an interest they may eventually build one.

Tanya: yah about the loss! I am in a plateau right now (eating great, activity's been pushed up, just one of those things), but hopefully I'll forge downward soon. Keep it up!

BikingLaura: Ah, caffeine can be great for muscle pain. I am trying harder to drink more water though. I drink way too much diet coke, so I am trying hard to incorporate more water. Awesome about the racing too!!

Laura: yeah, stretching shins isn't the easiest. Good luck though!!

Ang: I am in a plateau right now too... I ramped up my activity, but my weight is not cooperating, but my clothing sizes are and I guess that's the important thing right. I find running is awesome to incorporate for WL though.

Cheers!

Ali

2cutekids
08-25-2004, 03:32 PM
Hi everyone. Did get my run in this morning and last night. I also went for a walk. The run this morning was hard didn't get a good sleep. I sure hope to tonight. I have been doing the weights stilland that is going well.
I was asked by the one person that I run with most of the time if I would like to go to a half marathon in Oct. I am not ready yet. I am going to look at a 8 K next month and start there. I also would like to see what it would be like to be in a run that has more that 70 people first. The other thing with this run that she is talking about is about 8 hours away and I would prefer to do one closer to home. I am going to check out some more.
Well things look like everyone is runnign well.
Ali atleast your clothes are fitting looser. That is a grreat thing. Some time that is what you have to go by.
Laura keep up that great work you are going to get there soon you just keep in trucking.
Ang you too are doing great. You all must feel good.
bike Laura I hope that caffine helped. keep up you great work.
Well on to a nother day and keep up all the great work.
Tanya

shyangel
08-25-2004, 11:20 PM
Laura - any chance you are tieing your laces too tightly? If you have good running shoes this could be part of the problem. I also have more shin issues when I run hills.

Ali - If your clothes keep fitting better than yea for you. Some people have also told me that you can sometimes help end a plateau by making some radical changes (even if temporary) to your routine. This could be taking a couple of days and eating a few more good calories or upping the intensity of your workouts for a week. I think the point is to get your body out of the habit and jump start it by shocking it with something new.

Tanya - you are doing so well with your running and weights. I think it is smart to know what your limits are and not injuring yourself trying to train for a half marathon. The fall is the time for a lot of 5k and 10k races. Like you I want to run in something that has a lot of people but is at a comfortable distance for me. The only two races I did in the spring were small (under 300 people) so I assume big races have a totally different feel.

I worked in the garden for 2 hours today and should be running 3 miles tomorrow night with my club. I'm going for 4 times running this week, even though the distances are short.

laura_on_a_bike
08-26-2004, 10:29 AM
hey everyone, thanks for the warm welcome. i ran again this morning (3 miles). that makes twice this week that i've gotten out to run. im happy. it went well but some times i have trouble staying focussed on my running when i run that long. anyone else have this problem. sometimes i just want to stop running so bad even though i dont really need too. i feel like i could keep going but i dont want to. and i dont know about the rest of you but i cant wait for cool weather running. i got out at 8 this morning to beat the heat and by the time i got home it was already almost 90 f outside. agggg.

oh and laura i would also suggest adjusting your shoes to get rid of the tight shin muscles. i had some shoes that didnt fit well and they gave me tight shin muscles and on long runs my toes would fall asleep.

2cutekids
08-26-2004, 06:10 PM
Hi everyone did a walk this morning 2.5 miles. Happy with that. I think that tonight I am going to do a deep water class at our pool. Something different on the joints. I was talking to my running buddy and we are going to go for a 10 k in the morning. I know that I can to it I has been a little while but I have done it. We do 9min run and 1 min walk.
Well looks like everyone is keeping up with their great work.
Laura on bike I have been lucky that when I run outside I run with others. And if I run at home I watch some T.V. with my kids. So for me I don't usually have that problem. The few time that I have I do the same as you just keep going and think of the pay off.
Ang Keep up that great work. I know that it my seem like not very much bu 4 times a week at 3 miles you are looking at doing 12miles in a week that is alot. Keep it up and in no time you will be going longer and longer.
Tanya

shyangel
08-27-2004, 10:44 AM
Thanks for the encouragement Tanya. I went out for my 3 miles last night and can't wait to get in a bike ride tomorrow. At least I have noticed that the shorter (3 miles) distances are easier than when I started. Gotta find positive reinforcement in something. :)

Good luck Tanya with your 10k. That's my goal to be able to run a 10k in October.

LauraB - can you try to day dream/think about something while you are running (something besides your running :lol: ). Music might be an option for you. Why do you want to stop if you are physically capable of continuing?

It's Friday - Yea! :D

Tig
08-27-2004, 08:56 PM
I finally found The Wall this morning. It was 76*, 94% humidity, and NO BREEZE at 5:30 AM. I ran a total of 28 minutes 20/8 and walked a total of 23 minutes. I'd lie down on the floor and whine.. except... I ran. That's definitely a Get Over It for me. :lol:

My pace is picking up. I ran farther in the 20 minutes than I've run before. We're registered for a 5K September 18. I'm getting excited! :dance:

My hair is remarkably scary after running in the humidity. Frizzy City! My hair is too dry to wash it every time I run. Any ideas? Although. Scaring people at work isn't a bad idea.... :cool:

Sweater Girl
08-28-2004, 05:10 PM
The humidity has been strong here, we ran fairly well last night but we cut the distance short. I plan on doing 5kms tomorrow morning.

Cheers!

Ali

Only Me
08-29-2004, 10:05 AM
Can I join in? I've been doing the C25K program from coolrunning.com for the last couple of months and I'm now in the home stretch (W8). Looking forward to "graduating" and making my own schedule.

My last run was yesterday am, with a new pair of proper running shoes. What a difference they made! My knees are very happy with the purchase.

LKTS
08-29-2004, 06:56 PM
Hi, Only! I was doing the C25k routine as well, until I got a bit side-tracked. How much are you planning on running once you're up to the 3 miles a day, the same amount?

It's amazing how much of a difference good shoes can make. I grimace at the price but I get new ones every few months because otherwise my knees and feet kill me.

shyangel
08-29-2004, 10:35 PM
Welcome Only Me!

I think there is humidity everywhere right now. The last two days have been brutal here but I'm not complaining because I would rather it be hot than cold.

I don't know if this is gross, but sometimes when I have to shower twice a day I only wash my hair out with water. I usually do this if I don't have anywhere else to go that day. At least it washes some of the sweat out and it makes me feel better.

I did bike yesterday for about 40 minutes. Not much but I lost the motivation half way through. I need to find a longer route so I can't give up in the middle like yesterday. I ran over 50 minutes this morning and then biked this afternoon with a friend. I was on my mtn bike and we just went slow but it was fun and still exercise. Throw in some mowing of my lawn and working on the farm and it was a full day of activities. I at pasta for dinner though :( and doubt I lost any weight this weekend. At least I had fun.

Only Me
08-30-2004, 10:22 AM
Thanks for the welcome.

I've kinda been fast tracking through C25K because I was/am doing a lot of brisk walking all spring/summer pushing a double stroller. Moving to running wasn't as difficult as I expected. More mental than physical I think. So, I've been running 4 days a week since about week 3. Now that I've got to the timed straight running, I've been doing them 4 times a week starting on the weekend. Once I'm done in another week or so, my plan is to keep the 3 week day runs at 30 minutes while working on speed/pace/distance, and slowly build up a weekend run to 45-60 minutes, depending on how it goes.

Only saw one other runner this am and a few cyclists. I guess the cool and dreary (threatening to rain again) weather kept people at home.

Shyangel--Wow, are you ever active. Just reading about your day made me tired.

shyangel
08-30-2004, 10:51 PM
It is very frustrating that all the activity does not help me lose weight. :( I don't get it. :dizzy: I am glad that I found this bike/walking trail nearby. It is public but through the woods (paved) and very pretty and peaceful. This weekend I hope to run there and/or get my road bike on there and see how far it really goes.

I hope to run tomorrow at my club's track workout. I'm doing well at shorter distances (30-35 minutes) but struggle past 50 minutes. There were a couple of times that I ran closer to an hour but not lately. Any ideas on how to increase distance? I guess I should be doing some weight training too.

Happy running!

laura_on_a_bike
08-31-2004, 10:31 AM
hey everyone. its good to see that i am not the only one suffering from dibilitatiing humidity. its been awful here. well, i went out and bought some new running shoes. they are one's with motion control. they look really really strange. im am hoping hoping hoping that these will help improve my performance. i've been putting off getting motion control because they are so ugly (only come in white and i hate white, they will be ruined after my first run.) and because they are so expensive. today is my first dat to try them out. i will check back in with you ladies afterwards.

Sweater Girl
08-31-2004, 10:49 AM
I ran last night after I ate, mistake and a half, but I didn't have much choice yesterday... tonight is weigh in and my weight seems to be heading south so here's hoping.

Ang: For distance, maybe just increase gradually, or pick a further distance and just keep running it for a while, it should get quicker I am guessing.

Only Me: I was born and raised in Quebec (the West Island area of Montreal, I lived near Sherbrooke for 3 years).

Laura: I hate muggy weather, it should cool down soon. Here's hoping:)

Cheers!

Ali

shyangel
08-31-2004, 11:33 PM
Laurab - how did the new shoes work?

Ali - thanks for the tip. I have been trying to be patient but no matter how much I run I don't seem to get any better to get to the 5 or 6 mile mark. Also, my speed at shorter distances isn't improving. After 5 months I would like to see some difference. I am still getting blown away by everyone in my running club. I was hoping to do a sub30 5k this season but the races are coming in the next month and I don't see it happening. Just another thing to be frustrated about I guess. :(

I did do my track workout tonight with the club. We did a ladder (200, 400, 600, 800, 800, 600, 400, 200 intervals) and it sucked. It was dark by the time we finished so I skipped the cool down. Also, since I'm slow, I don't get a break in between because by the time I catch up the rest of the group is ready to go again. It makes it harder to run the intervals at a faster pace than usual.

Sorry for the whining. I am not really in that type of mood now but I guess when it comes to this topic I am almost always frustrated. I think I'm going to bike tomorrow, at least I don't feel so inept at that - not that I'm a great biker but a better biker than runner for sure.

Goodnight everyone.

laura_on_a_bike
09-01-2004, 08:48 AM
the shoes felt good, but the guy at the store told me that they have a stiffer sole and would require some break in time. my run yesterday was the break in time i guess. i just didnt have a good run but it wasnt the shoes. i was so tired but i got it done and felt much better afterwards. plan on heading out tomorrow. i'll probably need a good week before i can give a full report on the shoes.

Ilene
09-01-2004, 07:57 PM
Ang -- Your whinning is fine , that's what we're here for, a shoulder to cry and whine on... I'm not the best jogger either and I've been at it since December... I did 6k in 50 minutes tonite... I measured out this 2k circle in the park on my bike one day and I did it 3 times tonite... the first round it was more walking than jogging... then the second was a bit better more jogging than walking then the third I ALMOST did it all in a jog... It took me 50 minutes... NOT that great really... Hang in there you'll get better, at least we're doing something with ourselves, we're not couch potatoes...

As I said above, I finally got a chance to get back outside again to run...This was only my second time... Things were just getting in the way so it was easier to do run on the :tread: at the gym... As I said above my time wasn't the greatest but I'm trying...Dang it, if it kills me I'll get good at this...

Sweater Girl
09-02-2004, 11:06 AM
Illene: Don't worry, most people don't run fast, they just run consistent. I have good run days and bad run days. Last night I was in the middle of the pack when I am usually near the front. Luckily the lady I usually run with was in the same mode so we still ran together. It sucks that there is no running room near ya, I find runningwith others has increased my speed oodles.

Laura: I got new shoes recently and I love them. Hopefully your shoes will work out!

Ang: your persistance will pay off I am sure! You're dedicated and have worked hard.

Some of the people in my club were complaining about the distance last night and one lady was saying how hard running was. One of the leaders then said something to the effect of "running is hard, if it were easy, we wouldn't need a clinic". That struck a cord with me, I find the results are just so worth it. The way I feel after and just having something else to accomplish other than weight loss adds to my motivation.

Cheers!

Ali

Butterfly55
09-02-2004, 12:46 PM
I just started my running program this week. It was really hard but I have to admit that after I was done I felt great. I felt a lot more energized then I usually do. I hope the benefits will be better next week.

Only Me
09-02-2004, 01:00 PM
Ang--Don't worry about your time. Just keep moving and pushing yourself a bit and you'll speed up.

Does anyone else find it takes them a while into a run to get into a groove where you don't have to think about your pace and breathing? I do a 5 minute warm-up walk, but I still find the first 4-5 minutes of running tough. I just can't get into a good rhythm right away. This morning went well though. I turned my watch around so that it was more difficult to look at, and I hardly checked it at all, I just enjoyed the run. I did a 5.2K route in about 34 minutes, including my 5 minute warm up walk.

LKTS
09-02-2004, 01:03 PM
Welcome, butterfly!

I agree, OM, when I used to do fitness walking for long distances (like a couple of hours a day) it would take the first fifteen minutes to half an hour to get in the groove. I'm looking forward to being able to run longer distances so I won't have to struggle so much to get into the swing of things.

shyangel
09-02-2004, 03:22 PM
Hi Everyone and welcome Butterfly.

I am out of town and not being good about running or eating healthy. I guess it's good I will be back home tomorrow. :lol:

Butterfly - are you starting a particular running program?

I agree that it can take a few minutes for my muscles to get into the groove of running. Sometimes I feel sluggish at the beginning and actually seem energized by the middle or second half of the run. Maybe we just use different muscles when we run so we have to 'wake them up' during the first few minutes. I'm not sure if this really ever goes away, no matter what distances we end up running in time.

2cutekids
09-02-2004, 06:03 PM
Hi everyone. Welcome butterfly and only me. I am sorry that I ahve not been on for a while. I did get my 10 km last Friday and hoping to get one in tomorrow. I have been running amost everyday this week Saturday was the last day off till today. I am going to do the deep water class tonight I think.
Well I have to fly. I will try to check in too. Everyone have a great long weekend.
Tanya

Ilene
09-02-2004, 07:26 PM
I'm the same way with my energy... At times it takes 15-20 mins to warm up OR I get the energy boost at 3/4 of the way through...

laura_on_a_bike
09-03-2004, 09:23 AM
welcome butterfly.

i ran yesterday but it was more of a run walk. my legs are so tired. today is my rest and restorative stretch day so hopefully tomorrow morning i will feel like going again.

shyangel
09-04-2004, 11:17 PM
Today I felt like crap mentally but somehow got my legs going and went for my 3.8ish mile look at the farm. It was slow but didn't feel too bad on the legs. I probably should have pushed myself harder but you can't have everything. I went the other way to so it all seemed up hill. :) I'm thinking of getting up for the 6 mile run with my club - we'll see.

Ilene
09-05-2004, 03:51 PM
Ang -- congats on getting out there even if you didn't feel like it! Now that's dedication...:high:

I had a great run today!! I ran for a straight 45 minutes outside and it was GORGEOUS... not too hot, nice breaze... I have no idea how far I went but it was good... It's such a nice day I may go out for a bike ride tonite and measure the distance...

Hope everyone has a great long weekend...TTFN :wave:

shyangel
09-06-2004, 10:15 PM
Way to go Ilene. 45 minutes running is excellent. It takes all my will power to go my 40-45. I think I could do more if the loop was longer but by the end I just don't have the motivation to try to 'add on' a little more distance. I went bike riding yesterday - don't know how far since the battery in my computer went out. This morning I did my loop again but went the regular direction. I felt better and I think the hills are more forgiving this way so it only took me just over 40 minutes. I'm not sure I'll get in any running tomorrow. This is going to be a very busy week so I am going to have to try very hard to get in exercise - maybe at least some walks at work.

I hope everyone enjoyed the holiday. Back to work we go.

Ilene
09-06-2004, 10:28 PM
I agree Ang, I think we should start further from the original start of our loop just to go a little further every time...

Today I was up at 5:30am and I went biking with a g/f at 7am ... We did 40k... It was awesome because by the time we came home it was getting dang hot!! It took us a littel over 2 hours...

TTFN... :yawn:

cac
09-07-2004, 08:52 AM
hi everyone,

it ahs been a while since I posted. I just read everyones post. You all are doing so well! I am logging between 20-25 miles a week. I have started running by my heart rate - keeping it between 130-145. This makes me a very slow runner, but I ma improving. i have read that I will improve consistantly by doing this. Who knows.

cac

Sweater Girl
09-07-2004, 09:06 AM
I was sick all weekend and missed my running argh! Oh well, I'll try and get a short run in today so hopefully I'll be okay for my clinic tomorrow.

On the plus side, I didn't pig out (I usually do when I have a bad cold). In fact when I went out to dinner for my week's treat meal, I actually didn't finish it... geez you'd think my appetite was shrinking :D

Cheers!

Only Me
09-07-2004, 01:48 PM
Wow, Ang and Ilene. I want to work up to 40-45 minutes for my weekend run, but I'm only at 30 right now. 30 minutes is all I have time for during the week with having to get ds off to school and dh needing to leave for work.

Ali, Sorry you were sick for the weekend. Whenever I get a cold I want to drink hot chocolate and sweetened tea all day and eat chocolate; not so good for a diet.

I got a new sports bra in the mail today (enell). I tried it on; it fits and definitely eliminates any bounce. Now I guess I need to get up early again tomorrow so I can try it out on a run.

2cutekids
09-07-2004, 03:11 PM
Hi everyone. Looks like everyone is doing well. I did get my run in on Friday(10K) but nothing since. We were at my grandparents farm and had to watch the kids all weekend. I did not have any fun talk about boring and frustrating for me and the kids.
Well I hope to get a run intoday and some weights. Hope that everyone keeps up the great work.
tanya

shyangel
09-07-2004, 11:45 PM
Ilene - great job with the biking. 40k is a lot. I am doing 20.5 miles in a triathlon (team event) in a couple of weeks. Hopefully I'll have time to get out on my bike a little. The running should help though. Do you find that the cross training helps your running?

cac - glad to have you back. 20-25 mpw is awesome. I only get 10-15. It doesn't add up very quickly with 3 -4 mile runs. How many days a week are you running?

Ali - sorry you were sick. Are you feeling better? Did you get your run in? Good for you that you didn't pig out. I do that too when I am sick. I guess it can be comforting at times. Or maybe being sick affects our resolve and willpower. :dizzy:

Only Me - getting enough time to run is definitely a problem of mine too. 30-35 minutes is my usual during the week and then on the weekends I could make time for an hour or so but my legs just aren't ready after not pushing myself during the week. I guess we just keep going though.

Tanya - too bad about your weekend. 10k on Friday is great though. Did you get in a run today as you hoped?

Hopefully a short run for me tomorrow and finishing mowing my lawn. My lawn is going to be the death of me yet. :lol: I have a meeting at 7:30pm so it will be tight but I just have to make myself if I want to lose the weight. Right?

Take care.

Ilene
09-08-2004, 01:56 PM
Angel -- I'm not sure if the running is helping with the biking because I have been running only a very short while since Dec.03 and most of my running was done indoors on the :tread:... In my case I feel like weight training and biking has helped with running ...

Yesterday I had a decent jog/run but it was so dang humid and windy that when I was facing the wind I felt almost stopped so I would walk fast... All in all it was a decent workout...

storm_runner
09-08-2004, 02:04 PM
Running you will have good days and bad days. I have noticed that there are days I run well and there are days I run like crap. Sometimes it is because of what I ate earlier. Looking at your message it looked like you changed your route and that will increase the workout because your body is doing something it is not used to so the workout "feels" harder and your muscles work harder.

Now you know where you started out on that run and next time you have a gauge and hopefully will feel better after that run......

2cutekids
09-08-2004, 06:47 PM
HI everyone I sis get my run in yesterday and today I am going for a run with the running club. Not sure when I am going to get my run in tomorrow because it is my daughters first day of school. I have to learn to get her to school on time. We have to take her because there is no bus here.
Any way so far my runs have been good. I think having the weekend not doing anything helped. Need to do that every once in a while. Hope that everyone has a good run.
Tanya

shyangel
09-08-2004, 10:12 PM
It is getting harder and harder to stay motivated to run enough. My running club has had poor attendance at some functions so they are down to a track workout on Tuesdays and a long run early Sunday mornings. It is up to me to run 1 or 2 other times in the week and that is assuming I go on these days. It seems that the club members are getting better (higher class of runners) and I just can't get caught up. I end up running alone so what's the point of meeting with them to begin with. I guess in the end it is up to me to find a place for running in my life. I think I need to sit down with myself and talk priorities.

No running tonight - rain and a town meeting. Hopefully tomorrow evening after work.

laura_on_a_bike
09-09-2004, 09:13 AM
well, i got my run in on tuesday and i am fixing to head out for my thursday run right now. i dont know about you guys but the weather here is absolutely fantastic running weather. im hoping to see some improvement in my running soon. i've been sticking to it. i have also been strength training and i can tell that the core training i have been doing is really helping my running out a lot.

laura_on_a_bike
09-09-2004, 10:29 AM
ok, i know i just posted but i just got back from my run this morning and WOW! what a run. :dancer: i have had a few bad runs in a row lately. trying to get the new shoes broken in and just being tired. this run was fantastic. i flew through the three miles. finished in 32 minutes which is a really strong run for me. i've always been really slow. a twelve minute mile is about an average run for me. i felt so good the whole time. it was nice and cool outside and i had a great cd in the player. just had to share with you ladies. this is def. the motivation i needed to continue running. :coffee2:

2cutekids
09-09-2004, 02:40 PM
HI everyone I too had a good run last night but not this morning. But still got them in. DH-Laura Glad to here that things went so well for you. Keepup that great work.
Ang I am so sorry to hear that you are having such a hard time with your running group. So far we hae a good group to run with. We set off in group of different skill levels and even the faster(marathoners) will try to keep with you. No one seems to out do anyone YET. I hope that may be someone will be willig to run with you. The start of the club we all talked about no one is to be left behind. May be bring that up. If this group wants more runners they better change their ways. I know that would discourage me. Keep trying and I sure hope that things get better for you.
Well I don't think I will get my 10K in this week. My HB has to work on Friday and So does the lady that I usually run with. Saturday is my daughters 5 Bday party. I hope to get in some running in that morning with our runing club.
Well everyone keep going and I hope that you keep getting the runs in.
Tanya

Ilene
09-12-2004, 09:45 AM
I had a nice run to and from the gym this morning... once at the gym I did bis and tris and then came back. It was so nice and cool out too... Looks to be a great day out there, so let's be careful!! :wave:

Sweater Girl
09-12-2004, 07:25 PM
I had two good runs on both Fri/Saturday... I did some WT on Saturday too so now I am sore, but that's okay. I have practice again tomorrow evening so that should be fun.

Ilene: yup, the cooler weather of fall is the best time of year to run:)

Ang: That bites about low attendance. I am lucky my group, although it's smaller, it is still motivated and there is still different speeds of runenrs so no one gets left behind.

Tanya: hope your daughter's bday went well!

Laura: I know what you mean, I had a few bad runs in a row, yesterday's and fridays was great! Hope it keeps getting better and your shoes break in.

Cheers!

Ali

2cutekids
09-12-2004, 08:32 PM
HI everyone. Not too much running this weekend. Went Sat but the cold got to me and had to get ready for the party. It went OK. 2 hours was long enough for me.
Well I was taking to my running buddy and we are going to try to go tomorrow at 6:30. That is better that the 6:00 we usually go. I hope to get back this week. Go myTOM and sure didn't feel like doing anything today.
Any way nice to see some people back I have been looking but no one has been around. Great to see people. I will check in later.
Tanya

laura_on_a_bike
09-14-2004, 11:39 AM
hey ladies,

just wanted to check in and see how everyone is doing. i am happy to say that i am over my pms slump and have been chugging away at my running. i have added sprints one day a week which are killing me but i already see a noticeable improvement in my running. i hope everyone is doing well and finding time for themselves to get out and run. i have really been feeling great lately and i hope that the same is true for everyone else. a feww more months of this and i think i may join a running club. hope to hear progress reports from all of you soon. you all are keeping me motivated to get out and go.

shyangel
09-14-2004, 12:39 PM
I'm glad everyone seems to be doing so well. I haven't had time (made time) to run in a little while. I did bike on Sunday. I am going away for business next week and doing a bike race the following weekend so I have been trying to get in some biking, thus less running. Hopefully I'll run at least once or twice before I leave on Monday. I don't know what happened to my motivation. Maybe it is going with the sun early in the evening. Sunset before 7pm - it's so depressing.

2cutekids
09-14-2004, 02:59 PM
Hi everyone my run on Monday was great I also did one this moring to. I twas not as gosod but still better than what it had been. We have running club tomorrow and will get a run in there as well.
Looks great to see people back I sure miss hearing from everyone. I am alos happy to see we are all geting in some form of running. Once a week is still better that nothing.
Laura on a bike great job on those sprites. Theysure help. I know that the intervals that I do sure help too. I just need to to them more often during the week. I am not too regular on them.
Well I have to see if this week in we are at home. I f we are I am going to do the Terry Fox run. You can do either 5k or 10 K I am not sure. I was taking to my running partner and the way she talks if it is nice enough and we are both around we will do the 10 K.
Anyway everyone keep up your great work.
Tanya

Born2run2
09-15-2004, 10:21 AM
Hi Everyone, I just got back into running again. I had to take some time off because I had alot on my plate getting my Nursing License re activated, and getting used to my new job. The last 2 days though I have got out there and did my 2 miles. I have lost a little speed, but I gess that isn't the important thing. I plan on running 5 days a week, and taking the weekend off from it. I was surprised, I thought it would hurt my hip, but as long as I take the time to stretch out it doesn't seem to bother it. III've been running for 9 months, then took about 8 weeks off, and it feels good getting back into it. Are there many of you that run on a treadmill? I do that quite a bit because I can gauge, my speed and time better. I'm glad to find a runners forum, I was beginning to think running was a lost activity(LOL) Have a great day, Judy

storm_runner
09-15-2004, 01:14 PM
I run about 5 days a week but don't consider myself a runner. I do about 1.5 to 3 miles. I do 3 miles twice a week and do about 2 miles twice a week. Once a week I do a long (real slow) slow run for about 45 minutes....that is the only one I do outside. I do the other 4 days a week on a treadmill because like you I like to know how fast and how far.

I still have a little ways to go to reach my goal but I do know that when I get there I am going :tread:

2cutekids
09-15-2004, 07:13 PM
HI born2run2 and stormrunner. Welcome.
You would be surprised at how fast some people that run that do think of themselves as runners. stormrunner you just keep going and to consider yourself as a runner. as long as you are running you can say that yo are a runner.
born2run2 It is great to see that you are getting back in the game. I know how hard it is to get back and see that you are not running as fast as you were. I know that I was running much faster about 3 years ago but I am no longer looking at that I am looking forward and know that I will reach that goal again soon. I too run on the treadmill and outside. I find doing intervals on the treadmill is a better gauge.
Well no run in there for me today I am starting to come down with a cold I can feel it and my hubby is out of town and my daughter was vomitting this morning. So I would get a baby sitter but not after that. I guess I will miss the running clubrun tonight.
Tanya

Born2run2
09-15-2004, 07:39 PM
I wrenched my shoulder yesterday doing upper body workout. It hurts like the devil so I didn't do my run today. I am planning on doing it tomorrow though because if I let too much time go by I'll lose any edge I gained. It doesn't take long when one is 52 years old. It seems every tme I slack off I have to really work hard to get my edge back. I'm glad to see there are other treadmill runners like myself. My daughter says that it doesn't matter as long as I get out there and get it done. She's a long distance runner, and I'll just be hapy to run 5 miles with out wimping out. That's my goal anyway. Every one have a pleasant evening. Judy

2cutekids
09-20-2004, 03:18 PM
HI sorry it has been so long since I have been on I Have been so sick. I still am sick with the flu. Everytime I cough I get a stronger headache. So much for my running for awhile. I never get colds or flus like this one.
Glad to see that you are still running keep up that great work. I hope to get back soon.
Tanya

shyangel
09-23-2004, 11:11 PM
I finally got out to run last weekend for 4.2 miles. I was away all this week but hope to get back into a routine that I can maintain throughout the winter. I am thinking 3 days a week of running and then hopefully find 1 or 2 days of other things (in the winter this may be hard if I don't find the money to join a gym).

Does anyone here run outside in the cold? Any tips on clothes to buy that would make it easier to run through more of the winter?

Sweater Girl
09-24-2004, 09:06 AM
Ang: a shell jacket (the ones at my running store have a flap that goes over your toosh), a long sleeve quick dry shirt, a polar fleece vest and running tights from what I have heard. I am buying my jacket soon and will stock up on the rest as finances allow (hopefully that PT job will come through). stay away from cotton too, especially on long runs. The runners I talked to just use their usual shoes and socks (and I am up in one of the world's coldest capitals).

Cheers!

Ali

laura_on_a_bike
09-24-2004, 09:12 AM
i ran yesterday, i ran 5k in 29:30, the absolute fastwest that i have ever run a 5k in. i am excited.

shy, i run in the cold all the time. in fact i prefer winter running to summer running. i have a coupld of really nice pairs of running tights. they are illuminite, reflective pants. they double as bike spandex for me, and i am sure there are much better tights out there for running. its doesnt get too terribly cold here. i know they make fleece lined spandex too. i also layer a couple of mouster wicking long sleeve shirts and wear a fleece or wind proof jacket. i wear one of those head bands that covers your ears, or a hat if its really cold. i also have to bring tissues with me because my nose runs like crazy and i cant stand to just blow it onto the sidewalk, gross. my socks stay the same, sometimes i just layer on two pairs. up until now i had access to my parents treadmilll but now i dont so this winter i will really be testing all my gear. i just dress warm and try to stay dry. i dont ever really have any issues with getting to cold. sometimes i even run in the rain in the winter. it makes me feel good knowing im one of the only people crazy enough to be out. good luck.

laura_on_a_bike
09-24-2004, 09:24 AM
i forgot one of the most important things about running in the cold. make sure you have a good pair of gloves, it is almost impossible for me to keep my hands warm when i run in the cold.

2cutekids
09-24-2004, 02:59 PM
Hi everyone still have not ran this week. I think that I am going to try next week. I still feel congested in the chest. I hope that I can start soon.
I am glad to see that everyone is still running. I am not sure if I am going to be doing much running in the winter. I am not much for the cold. And we can sure get the cold. I am going to be mostly on the treadmill. Everyone please keep up your great work.
Tanya

BrunetteChic_2000
09-25-2004, 11:05 PM
Hi - I am new here. I usually run about 14 - 17 miles a week. 3.5 miles each. I am takeing it slow because I am recovering from some stress fractures in my knees, they are good now though.
I was wondering if any of you have experienced stiffness or pain in your feet. At the end of the day I'll be sitting down and flex my feet after having them in a single postion for awhile and I will have such pain and when I stand on them as well. I really don't know what to make of it. This is just a recent problem and I am not sure if it is because of the running or not. Anyone know what I am talking about? Suggestions (besides going to a Dr.)?
Thanks!!

Born2run2
09-25-2004, 11:36 PM
Hi all, Just thought I would check in and let you know I was able to increase by a mile today. (HOORAY)!! The run went pretty well, and had a person at the gym ask me questions about it, so maybe I helped inspire someone. Like I said before most of my runs are on the treadmill because I really don't have a good place to run. They closed our high school track to the public and I don't like running on cement. I know pickey, pickey(LOL). Does anyone else go thru physical withdrawls wen they don't get their run in? I know I do, hubby thinks I'm crazy, but after being grumpy he practically begs me to go for my run. Anyway, hope everyone has a nice weekend, Judy

kgirl
09-26-2004, 11:57 AM
Hi everyone ! This is my first time on this site and I am glad I found it. I started out walking on the treadmill the beginning of this year. Found a plan on how to run for 20 minutes by the end of 10 weeks. Followed it and now run for 20-25 minutes on the treadmill plus the warm-up/cool-down walks. Great for me as when I started the plan, just running for 2 minutes seemed like a chore !!

I've been exercising less these last few weeks and was finding it hard to go out or do anything at all. This site has motivated me to go do my run on the treadmill. My next goal is to start running outside. I've only done it once so far. For some reason, I feel so self-conscious when I do. Stupid !

Thanks for your inspiration and for being here ! I look forward to increasing my running time and speeding it up along the way !

SW - 176/CW - 160/GW - 145

Ilene
09-26-2004, 04:26 PM
G'day everyone :wave:

This morning I was able to get out for a decent jog... I was out at 9am and it was sunny and cool, not windy... And running was awesome I was in the zone fer sure!~ Yesterday though, well that was another story! I went out in the middle of the afternoon, it was too windy (for me anyways, I'm just not a perfect runner yet, so any little thing gets in my way) then it was hot!! WHEW!! I ended up it was more of a speed walk/jog sort of workout, but that's ok, at least I was out doing something...

Kgirl -- I know exactly what you mean when you say you feel "self-conscious" jogging outside... I fell the same :rolleyes: , it is silly, but a real feeling just the same... This is the strategy I use when jogging outside, I wear a baseball cap, sunglasses and I "think" I'm incognito! I also go out when there is the least amount of traffic and/or in suburban areas with homes where no one knows my name :lol: ... I sometimes even drive to my destination and jog from there... I've only been running since december myself, and just started running outside in August and today was my 10th time... It does get easier I must admit that I never thought it would get easier...I was a real wuss at first...

Judy -- Congrats on a new personal best!

Brunette -- A g/f of mine has the same thing you describe to her feet, if it's the same thing it's called "Plantars Fasciitus"... google it and you'll find lots of info about it... but go see your doc as well....HTH..

I'm really enjoying running in the cooler weather, I'll probably try it this winter for a change of pace...

TTFN :wave:

Only Me
09-27-2004, 09:58 AM
laura-- Good idea about gloves. I wonder if I'd look silly with gloves, a tshirt and shorts. It's about 10C in the mornings here, but it's only my hands that get cold. I tried running in yoga capris and a long sleeved shirt last week, but I ended up too hot everywhere except my cold hands. Looking silly would be better than being hot and sweaty with cold hands though.

KJ -- My feet and legs used to be stiff and sore to walk on first thing in the morning or after sitting around for a long time. I've always been like this and fell partway down the stairs a number of times as a kid because of it. But it's not related to running for me. I've been better since I started running this summer; now I don't even need to sit around drinking coffee and flexing my feet for 1/2 hour after waking up before I can run or even walk around the house comfortably.

kgirl-- I understand the self consciousness. I prefer running early in the morning because there's a lot less people outside and most of them seem to be biking somewhere quickly or playing with their dogs, so they're not strolling along watching me run by.

Ilene--At least you were out there. Even marathon runners have bad training days now and again. I find morning is the best time for me to run. Later in the day I do brisk walks with my dds in the stroller instead.

I managed a 30 minute run this morning after not running since Friday. It's getting light out later and later here, so I'm not sure how I'll manage to keep up my morning running in the winter. Maybe I can convince dh to invest in a treadmill or a gym membership with child care. The cool weather is nice--I don't realize how hot and sweaty I am until I get home, walk inside, and my glasses fog up.

BrunetteChic_2000
09-27-2004, 04:10 PM
thanks for the advice ladies!!
:)

kgirl
09-29-2004, 07:40 PM
Thanks for the advice and support on running outside. It's weird that I feel so bothered by it (like I'm a fat cow) because when I see a heavier person out running or walking, I always think "Wow - good for them !". It is all silliness on my part. I will try running early in the mornings on the weekends, when I have more time to myself. If I don't start soon, though, I may end up having to dodge snowflakes !

I always feel better about myself and life after reading through 3FC ! I've already told several other ladies about this site.

Keep up the good work, everyone !

Ilene
09-29-2004, 10:03 PM
K girl - I know exactly what you mean, this site has been a godsend...:grouphug: to all!!

Tig
09-29-2004, 10:20 PM
Hello all!

I've been running in between hurricanes. I ran a 5K on Cocoa Beach - first time to run a 5K on the beach. I was worried about it initially, but I'm willing to do it again. FUN!! I didn't place but I finished. Finishing a race is always a good goal. :dance:

I had a minor, okay mildly major mishap, last week before the LAST hurricane on an early AM sojourn and fell smack flat on my face. The source of my fall was my feet who sometimes forget to let the rest of me - like my other foot - know what they have in mind. I fell over my own feet. Nose wasn't broken and all abrasions will heal but I scared a dear elderly gentleman who picked me up off the sidewalk. Drat and dang. Several stitches and xrays later I'm okay except for achey knees, elbows, hands, nose, face, upper lip, and ego. I still have a few bruises on my face. My favorite story: It was the last beer and I GOT IT! :lol:

I'm still going to run. Just may run with supervision. ;)

Only Me
09-29-2004, 10:22 PM
It was only 5C/40F this morning (and snowflakes seem to be creeping closer), so I layered a sweatshirt over my tank top and shorts for my run. About 15 minutes into it, I ended up tying the sweatshirt around my waist. But I wish I'd dug out some gloves because my hands were still cold. I hid them inside the sleeves of the sweatshirt until I had to take it off because the rest of me was too warm. I got up and out a bit early, so I managed to fit in a 35 minute run with time to spare to get the kids dressed and ds to school on time.

2cutekids
09-30-2004, 02:51 PM
Hi everyone sorry it has been so long since I have been on. Still running. I found some new workouts for the treadmill and have been trying to do them. Got out for a run last night and hope to tomorrow(My 10K).
Well it is great to see new people and welcome. I hope that everyone keeps up their great work and keep going with the weather changing anytime. We have been lucky the weather here has been good.
Tig sorry to here that you have beenin the storms. My SIL was hit too and lost half of her house. I sure feel for all of you down their. Try to be salf next time you are runn. I would hate to see you get really badly hurt.
Only me keep up that great work on your runs. We have been lucky that we are not too bad yet. The people that I run with in the morning were gloves too and I know the next time I run in the morning out they will come. Keep up your great work.
Kgirl just keep think of all the great things you are doing for yourself by running and try to forget what other people my think. I bet the are not as health consurnd as you.
Ilene I am flad to hear that you are getting good runs in again. I hope that they keep coming.
born2run Keep up that great work and getting your milage up. I feel at times I have to start from scartch when I have not been feeling good.
Brunettechic200 glad to see youfound us. YOu sure put the miles on. That is great. Glad to have you join us.
Well hope to talk to you all soon.
Tanya

Sweater Girl
09-30-2004, 04:10 PM
Only me: I think they sell "gloves" that are basically made of a windbraker material to protect your hands on cooler days but not on snow bound days, maybe you could get a pair of those for the fall.

Cheers!

Ali

2cutekids
10-01-2004, 02:39 PM
HI everyone. Have been running still. Got a hard one in today and hope to keep it up. Would like to get my 10K back but will see if I can get the chance.
Ali how is your training going for the run for cure. I hope that you have a great run. Was planing on going but my hubby has to work. I worked it out and it would be close to $75 to do that run.
Well anyway I hope that everyone is doing well.
tanya

Ilene
10-01-2004, 07:41 PM
Hello gang :wave:

Finally I'm back into the swing of things. The last time I ran was last Sunday! It was also the last time I went to the gym! So I'm back on track today, did the gym scene and then jogged, only 35 minutes till the sun went down but it was a good one...

Hope everyone has a good weekend! TTFN ...

2cutekids
10-03-2004, 02:41 PM
HI everyone still going. Didn't run yesterday but did today. Nice to take a day off.Ilene great to see that you are back in the running. Kepp up that great work.
Well plan on a run tomorrow and keep going.
tanya

Sweater Girl
10-05-2004, 09:51 AM
Hey everyone,

Did my 5K (which I think was really 4) in well less than half an hour. It was a fundraiser for breast cancer research... It was so sad reading people's t-shirts, especially one's showcasing women my age who died of breast cancer.

Anyway, my next race will be in December and it will be a 10K. I am starting my clinic for taht on the 16th, but will keep up with my running. I am doing well with it. My boyfriend just signed up for the Learn to Run so I am happy for him. He's struggled with his weight in the past and wants to get back into exercising. So I'll definitely encourage his efforts.

My food hasn't been the best, but I am back on track with it. I am now working a second job (in retail which is at least an active job plus I get a clothes discount), but still think I should have enough time to exercise. I'll just cut down on my lazing around watching bad tv time. Actually while we're on generla strike I'll have lots of time to exercise (they ask for four hours of picketing a day, so still less than my average work day).

Cheers!

Ali

beek
10-05-2004, 10:38 PM
Maybe you have covered this already but an excellent source of running info is http://www.runnersworld.com
They have new tips every day (sometimes tips get recycled), and tons and tons of articles on stretching, training, apparel, etc.

Only Me
10-06-2004, 09:26 AM
Sweater girl--thanks for the tip about the gloves. I'll try looking for them next time I get near a running store. It sounds like you're busy with work, but at least you're not stuck at a desk all day. Congrats on your 5k time. I might have to sign up for a race next year just to get a number to beat.

It was barely above freezing this morning, so I wore those mitt/half gloves with thinsulate in the backs of the hands. It worked until this last 10 minutes of my 30 minute run, then I had to take them off because I was too hot. Better than having freezing hands the first 20 or so minutes though. The weather's supposed to warm back up, so Friday morning should be a bit more pleasant for running. We're going away for the long weekend, so I doubt I'll have time to run them.

Sweater Girl
10-06-2004, 09:58 AM
Tanya: I had fun at Run for the Cure, the race itself only cost me$30, but I went with a group... I'll try and go next year, it will be on my Birthday too (they have already sent e-mails saying "see you on October 2nd next year").

Beek: Thanks (I am originally from Montreal BTW, I grew up around teh West Island).

Only Me: yup, it's getting darn cold, I am running this evening so hopefully it will be nice... i need to buy some long sleeved running shirts... I also want to get a running room cult jacket.

Cheers!

2cutekids
10-06-2004, 12:08 PM
Glad to hear that you had a great run. Keep up your great work.
I was able to get a 10k in on Monday. and a walk yesterday I did an interval this morning and did 2 miles in 20 min. It felt great.
We are going to have a running meeting tonight I hope that it goes well.
Have been albe to get my wight back down to the 150 very happy about that.
Well just going to continue. Hope everyone has a great run.
tanya

Sweater Girl
10-07-2004, 09:55 AM
Yah my instructor has asked me to help her new Learn to Run clinic.... Although my BF says he's fine with it, I think he's hesitant since he's in that clinic, BUT I'll be helping out the people in the back, which I am fairly certain won't be my boyfriend since well he's male, was a former high perfomance athlete (was on the U19 National Rugby Team before he tore his ACL) and he is still younger than most of the participants (the average age is about 40 or so, he's 27). I'll probably be at least 5 minutes behind him or so so I won't even see him.

Anyhoo, I did a 5K last night and that felt good...I have a cold though so I will rest up and probably won't try another one until Sunday. My 10K clinic starts on teh 16th!

Cheers!

Ali

cac
10-07-2004, 11:57 AM
Hi all,

I love my bigginers running program. I am do the last mile of it in aroun 10min 45 sec. That is a great improvement from 17 min miles! My lungs is what is holding me back, they are getting better and my asthme does not seem to bother me as much.

cac

2cutekids
10-07-2004, 08:28 PM
HI everyone did a hill walk on the treadmill today. I need to get other workouts in other that the running.
Well the guy that called a meeting for the running club didn't show up. I don't know if anything is going to happen with this club if the guy that is tring to get this going is not even going to show up. We still ran.
Well I hope that thing go well with your beginning running.
Tanya

Sweater Girl
10-08-2004, 01:50 PM
Tanya: I am sorry the guy didn't show up... I can't do my group leading tonight due to the fact I am reaching for a Kleenex every 2 minutes due to my cold (I had to come into work today kind of deal so I couldn't take a sick day which I wanted to... seems to happen every time I am sick, It's a day I agreed to do a task that no one else can do etc sigh)... Hopefully the instructor can make it, I already sent her an email so hopefully either her or the other gl will show up. If not I'll get the store to call me and I guess I can trudge through it since it will only take 20 mins.. I just want to sleep since I am working job #2 tomorrow (sorry for my kvetching).

Cac: our speeds are not that different. I think I am about at the 10min mile mark as well... I just want to be able to maintain that over long runs... We shall see.

Only me: just thought I'd let you know, I was at my Running Room store yesterday (Coin des Coureurs au Québec) and the mitts I was talking about do have a tiny bit of a lining to them, but aren't overly think and don't look constrictive at all.

Cheers!

Ali

Tig
10-08-2004, 08:37 PM
My nose was actually broken in two places after all. I now have a new-used treadmill. Hubster insisted.

I'm still running. Now I'm running on the n-u treadmill. The plan tomorrow is to run on the beach.

Sticks and stones and sidewalks may break my bones, but not running is torture. :lol:

2cutekids
10-11-2004, 04:46 PM
Happy Thanksgiving everyone. I hope that all have had a good one. HAve not ran since Saturday. I hope to may be get one in today will see what happeneds.
ALi I hope that you are feeling better. I am sorry to hear that you are not doing well.
Tig I hope that things get better. Great news on the new treadmill. New used is still better that no treadmill. Keep up that great work and I hope that your nose will be OK for you. How was the run on the beach?
Tanya

cac
10-12-2004, 01:23 PM
Hi all,

Fridya I did 3.4 miles in 44 minutes... that is 10 minutes better then I did in September. At lunch to day I did a 10 min mile on the tredmill!

Happy Thanksgiving to all the Canadians!

cac

Only Me
10-15-2004, 08:01 PM
Ali: thank for the tip about the gloves. I don't like driving places, so it makes it hard for me to get to Coin des Coureurs with having to pick up my ds from school for lunch, etc during the week. But since it's supposed to rain all weekend and I need to get my skates sharpened anyway, I might manage to make it up there tomorrow or Sunday.

Tig: running with a broken nose--now that's dedication!

I managed to get in my usual short run this morning before the rain started. But, I didn't have a watch and judging from the times I left and got back, I must have run my usual 30 minute/3 mile-ish run in more like 25 minutes. I was worried about getting back in time to get ds ready for school so I guess I went faster than usual. I didn't feel like I'd over done it when I got home, actually I felt like I could have gone further, so I might try running without a watch more often, especially on weekends when time is less of an issue. I'm looking forward to the clocks going back because it's tough getting out of bed to run when it's not really light out yet.

Sweater Girl
10-18-2004, 03:16 PM
Only me: Hehehe, rain can be a great motivator for speed.

I was happy, I ran a sub 30 minute 5K so that made me happy, I really pushed myself, My knee now is being a pain, so I shall ice it tonight (I think it's not because of that run but being on my feet all week).. My calves are rock hard now. I have lost at least 10 lbs since starting running seriously again.

Cheers!

Ali

gabwill
10-18-2004, 08:40 PM
well I am a beginner runner I guess. About 2 months ago I couldn't even do .25 miles without stopping. I am not sure how far I can go right now without stopping or the time that I can do a mile. I pretty much do intervals but will start mixing it up a bit. Right now I do 5 min run 4 min walk. Today I got in 3.66 miles of a run and about 1.5 miles of walking before I stopped. I was wondering if anyone has any tips for how to increase my distance and speed. I still have a little problems with my breathing but have come a long way since starting. I do other workouts too but want to concentrate more on running. Any tips would be appreciated.

Sweater Girl
10-19-2004, 11:08 AM
Hi Gabrielle,

In my program we started slowly with 2 min walks and then 1 min runs. We then decreased walks to 1 min and each week added 1 minute to our runs. Now I run for 10 mins and walk for 1. It works well I find. If you need to spend extra time on an interval that's okay too... If you need a longer walk every so often, hey go ahead. I now run faster and have fabulous endurance.

Cheers!

Ali

Only Me
10-19-2004, 02:41 PM
Gabrielle, I sounds like you're doing really well. Most of my runs are about 3 miles, give or take, with a 5 minute brisk warm up walk and a couple minutes cool down as I head home. I did the couch to 5K program at coolrunning.com and intervals of walking and running worked well to get me running for 30 minutes at a time. Sunday I ran for approx. 45 minutes, my longest yet. This morning I did about 35 minutes.

My weight loss has slowed down, which is good since I'm pretty much at my goal, but my hips, waist and thighs have really slimmed down in the past couple of months since I finished the start running program and have been out there 3-4 times a week.

2cutekids
10-19-2004, 03:41 PM
Hi everyone sorry that I have not been on. Buisy I hope that all are doing well. Still running. I was able to get a good one in yesterday. HOpe to get a notherone in tomorrow.
Well no more outside running I thin for me We have lots of snow and ice. I don't plan on running and get hurt. I think I will be staying on the tread till the spring. At least I have that.
Keep up the running
Tanya

fannie~annie
10-19-2004, 03:45 PM
Hi ! I just found this site... it is so great!

I love to run too. I used to have time for it before having kids, but now I only have time to go on my lunch hour at work. I have just gotten back into it.

I am planning on running the Resolution Race in Ottawa this year also ( I saw a post from someone else doing the same). I haven't run 10K in a while but I plan to either this week or next. I have run 5K twice this week and my time is really slow but, like I said I'm just starting (okay okay it took me 35 mins). I think I'm going to give the 10K a shot this Sunday just to get an idea. If it goes well, I'm registering for the 10K Resoulution Race. If it is pure ****, I'll register for the 5K :lol: .

It's so cool to see so many runners! I can't wait to get to know you all!

Sweater Girl
10-21-2004, 10:49 AM
Hi Fannie,

Welcome, yup, I am planning to run the resolution run in December... 35 mins for a 5K is good, so don't worry, with practice progress will come. Per the 10K, perhaps you could increase your KMs by 1 a week for now and in four weeks you'll be at the 10K mark, just a suggestion. I am taking a running room clinic for the 10K and am enjoying it.

All: anyhoo, had a really good run last night with a good time... I wonder if I could do a 60 min 10K, I doubt it, but I am hoping.

Cheers!

Ali

2cutekids
10-21-2004, 01:27 PM
Great to see more of us. WELCOME FRANNIE.
Well I did a treadmill interval yesterday and did a quick jog this morning. I think I will get a walk in later. I just warmed up for my weights. Didn't get the amount of time that I thought I was going to get befor I had to get my son from playschool.
Well KEep running.
Tanya

fannie~annie
10-21-2004, 02:03 PM
Ali, that is a good idea about increasing by one km a week. I was thinking of jumping to an 8K on Sunday just to see how it goes.

If it is a killer then I'll try a 6.5K run instead.

2cutekids
10-23-2004, 08:12 PM
Good luck on the run. I hope that you ahve a good one.
Well I did a walk to day and hope to get in a interval tomorow. Lots of snow and we just had more last night and calling for more tonight. I don't think the running outside will be happening for me till the spring. They are talking about a runnign club meeting tomorow night. I will see that everyone is going to do.
Tanya