Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 06-30-2004, 06:51 PM   #1  

Smile First checkup went fine.

Just got back from my first checkin to get the drains removed. YEOWZAAAAA What a breathtaking event that was. But, the good part was it only lasted a short moment in time. Also removed every-other staple in the main incision and have to go back next Wednesday for the remainders.

I've lost 10 pounds in six days so I guess I am truly started. Everything else looks really good and the doctor is pleased with my progress.

He said I can start trying soft foods next week. VERY SMALL amounts and chew chew chew. He also showed me an example of the size of my new stomach and I figure a soft boiled egg is a full-meal-deal.

I think I have the liquid diet pretty well figured out. Any suggestions on starting the soft diet part of things? I am really looking forward to a banana anad a piece of toast. I guess it is now a bite of toast and a slice of banana.
P-38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 09:44 PM   #2  
Old Cackler

WATCH THOSE CARBS!!!!!! really. don't rush into them. you'll be eating about 400-500 calories a day, and in order to keep your body going, the VAST majority of those calories have to be from protein.

so, your slice of banana and bite of toast are just about it. and the toast really should be whole grain so that it gives you some nutrition. and don't be surprised if you can't eat a whole egg.. it takes time.

and that's a key point... you MUST get the biggest nutritional bang for your calorie buck. there IS no room for empty calories right now for you.

soft diet: high protein soup, like lentil or black bean. i loved progresso chickarina.. i fished out all those cute little meatballs and the soft veggies. and left the pasta. ya can't mix liquids and solids, ya know.

cottage cheese. eggs. but be warned: sometimes scrambled eggs just don't work. you'll find out pretty quickly. boiled or fried or poached may work better. just keep experimenting until you find something that works.

soft fish like flounder may be a nice experiment. not fried!!!! tofu, if you like it. if you feel really adventurous, a slice or two of thinly sliced deli meat - the low fat kinds like turkey or chicken - may work well. i was always partial to the southwestern turkey and buffalo style chicken.

soft cheeses. oh. and you can add romano cheese to any soup for more flavor and protein. but stay away from melted cheese that forms strings. that means no hot mozzarella!!!!

i'll add more as i remember it. this old mind works slowly sometimes.

glad you're doing so well!!!!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 10:15 AM   #3  
Old Cackler

pookie... that scrambled egg thing is VERY individual. peachie had no problem with them, but i couldn't keep one down for nearly 2 years! it's GOTTA be a texture thing. and that's why, although i never tried eggbeaters, i suspect it'd be the same thing. i never had a problem with poached or boiled. and in fact, after the first couple of weeks, my standard breakfast was [and still is!!!!!] deviled eggs made with hot salsa and chili powder!! and for reasons that i just don't understand, omelets are fine. go figure!!!!
Old 07-01-2004, 11:37 AM   #4  

Thanks Jiffy, All the above is good news. I'm not a big scrambled egg fan but enjoy both boiled and fried. In fact the yolk is my favorite part. (Lots of protein ) I will do some checking and watch the carbs. After years of Diabetes watching carbs is second nature. Speaking of which, my blood sugars are staying between 130 @ 150 with no meds. YIPPEE...

Gotta run... ok walk, but need to get up and going. More later...
Old 07-01-2004, 11:45 AM   #5  
WW Moderator

P, nice to hear that you are doing well!
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 12:24 PM   #6  
Old Cackler

P, honey... i have some BAD NEWS for you... the egg yolk is PURE FAT. the egg white is PURE PROTEIN.

but don't worry... you can eat the whole egg. after all, since you won't be able to actually eat an entire large egg for awhile, what's the point of worrying about the fat content? unless, of course, you end up being one of those folks who dumps on FAT... or it gives you the runs.. which does happen to some folks..

glad you're doing so well... keep us posted!!!!
Old 07-01-2004, 12:37 PM   #7  

Damn... I should have known. Anything that I really like CAN'T be good for you. Oh well, I'll live.