100 lb. Club - Quitting smoking...7/1/04

View Full Version : Quitting smoking...7/1/04

Tammy32
06-30-2004, 03:44 PM
Alas, I have decided to give up smoking. I did not smoke during my pregnancy and picked it up again when my daughter was a few months old. I am a fool for picking it back up! I don't know why I torture myself like this. Honestly, kicking the tobacco addiction for me is going to be ten times worse than weight loss.

If you all don't care I will probably journal the first week here. I need to be held accountable. Also, I know lots of encouragement will help alot. I know I can do this. I am going to do this!! Anybody care to join me??

Jen
06-30-2004, 03:58 PM
I've never tried smoking at all so I can't say that I know what you will be going through. I did read somewhere though that the effects of smoking on your body are the equivalent of at least 80 extra lbs. Congrats on the first step towards quitting. Are you just going cold turkey or using some aid like the patch? Please let us know how you are doing, I'm sure we'll all be cheering for you.

lessofsarahtolove
06-30-2004, 05:09 PM
TAMMY, I'M SO EXCITED TO HEAR THIS NEWS!!!!!!
You sweetheart, I'm so proud of you, and I offer myself to you as your own personal quit smoking cheerleader -- ANYTHING you need, I'm here for you babe! I have never quit, but God I wish I could get my partner to quit. She's up to two packs of Marlboros a day now (although not in the house, thank heaven) and I literally cry when I think about what she's doing to herself.

I am so happy to hear that you've made this decision, and I want you to make sure that you check in here LOTS AND LOTS so that we can support you in any way you need. :goodvibes :goodvibes :goodvibes :goodvibes

Sheila53
06-30-2004, 05:41 PM
That's wonderful!! I'd love to be one of your personal cheerleaders. I'm always so happy to read of people who are quitting smoking.

My grandmother outlived my uncle and my mother, who both died of lung cancer. I'd still have my Mom today if she hadn't taken up smoking at age 16. My friends and I had to use a machine to suck the yellow smoker's plegm out of our friend's lungs so he wouldn't drown as he lay dying of AIDS. Please be glad that you are going to spare your family from a similar situation.

artist
06-30-2004, 06:13 PM
Yeah, Tammy you go girl! I too will be with you every step of the way......I was never a heavy smoker (max maybe 5 a day), but I quit about 10 years ago.....although I do have a couple every 3 to 6 months or so.....

Believe me, you can do it. And as you know, you will feel the benefits really really really quickly - healthwise and pocketwise!

Also.....don't think you can sneak so close to Onderland and not have me notice! You're doing so well, you're nearly there girl.....

Let us know how we can help on the no-smoking efforts.....

barbygirl43
06-30-2004, 06:20 PM
That is super to hear. You know we're all here for you. I too was one that never took up the habit. Jeff quit when we found out I was PG with Lilly. I couldn't stand to be around him with "that smell." He was doing great until he went back to pipelining and started it back up. When I reach 150 he has to quit smoking but I'm hoping he will quit before then.

Tammy32
06-30-2004, 08:01 PM
Awwwww...You ladies are just great. With this much support I know it is going to help tremedously. I don't have anymore smoking friends around me so that is going to make it easier this time. My major concern at this point is eating to much as a result of quitting. I usually gain some weight when I quit. I am going to try to avoid that this time. But, if I do happen to gain a few pounds I know that I can get them back off. It is just very important health wise that I do this. Sarah, you are always just so sweet. Thank you so so much. It means the world to me.

Jen, I am doing this cold turkey. I have quit using the patch before, and I can't tell much of a difference with or without it. Thanks for being one of my cheerleaders!!

Sarah, my husband hates the fact that I smoke. I've always told him though that I know how much he dislikes me doing it I have to make the choice to do it or else I will fail. It will be the same with your partner. When she's ready she will let you know. Sometimes my husband bugging me about quitting made me smoke more. My husband has never been a smoker so it is extremely hard for him to understand just how difficult it is to quit. Sometimes it is like the cigarette is your best friend when you have nothing else to turn to. It is such an awful addiction. They say smoking is four times more addicting than heroin.

Sheila, thanks for putting that spin on this. I really need to hear those things because so often the heartbreaking stories are ones that us smokers don't pay much attention to. But, I am paying attention this time! I don't want my family to have to go through that. I'm sorry for your losses Sheila. Thank you for your post. I really needed to hear the reality of smoking.

Claire, you are right smoking is terrible for my health and moneywise also. It is very expensive and such a waste. I have nothing to gain from smoking. Yep, yep, I am almost in Onederland. It's another reason that I decided it was time to quit. I won't be a healthy person unless I do quit smoking. Thank you so much for being supportive of me.

Dawnyal, I started back this time, because I started hanging out with some of the people I had not been, and they were smokers. The temptation got the best of me. I agree the smell of smoke on people is truly disgusting. I'd much like to kick myself in the a** for starting back.

lessofsarahtolove
07-01-2004, 01:36 AM
All right, Tammygirl -- this is the big day, and I'll be thinking of you plenty! If at any point during the day you feel this wierd, tingly sorta warm/fuzzy feeling, it will most decidedly NOT be a nicotine craving. It'll be ME sending you all the positive energy I can, to help you through your first day!

I'm about to turn in, but I thought I'd take advantage of the late hour to be the first to send you a big fat, "YOU CAN DO THIS" message today! You're going to do this, Tammy...you've singlehandedly lost 44 pounds in like nothing flat, so YOU. CAN. DO. THIS. And you WILL. You will because you want it, and your daughter needs you to do it. So does your husband.

When you're feeling weak and need to call upon some inner strength, think of this: If your daughter and husband were in a burning building, and you knew you could save them by running into that building -- but in the process you'd get a bit burned, would you do it? Of course you would. You'd have the strength to do it, and wouldn't think twice about your decision.....your instincts and your love for them would cause you to immediately make the choice to act to save them. Now do you think you could do that for yourself, Tammy? So that they can keep you in their lives longer, and healthier? It will be hard, and probably emotionally rough at times. But you're making a life or death decision here. Keep them in mind, during those weak moments, and choose life. With them. You know you won't regret it. And you know that they need you to.

:grouphug:

djs06
07-01-2004, 01:47 AM
Tammy,

Good luck quitting! You can do it. just think: you'll feel so much better, in addition to looking particularly fabulous due to your weightloss. How could you go wrong? :)

Barb1958
07-01-2004, 07:21 AM
Go Tammy~~Go Tammy~~ You can do it~~
I'm always thrilled when a smoker decides to kick the habit!! I was a heavy smoker for many years and Aug. 1 will be my 6 year smoke-free anniversary. Take it a day at a time and stay focused. I added up the amount I spent on cigs every month and put that amount ($150!!!!) into a separate savings account. I did that for one year and spent it on recarpeting my living room! I'm so happy for you--I think you'll find it will be the most rewarding thing you've ever done for yourself.
Barb

djs06
07-01-2004, 12:03 PM
There is some online thingy that can tell you how much money you've saved and how many (theoretical) minutes of your life you've saved. Maybe that would be somewhat motivating?

Sheila53
07-01-2004, 12:27 PM
Here's to a new day, Tammy!! You CAN DO IT!!

Tammy32
07-01-2004, 01:41 PM
Well, I have not had a cigarette since 10 p.m. last night. This morning has been pretty rough. I do ok until someone decides to talk to me and then I pretty much bite their head off..hehe...My husband called and all I did was cry. Alot of this quitting stuff is psychological. So, this morning I took out the baby carrots and when I am craving a cigarette I eat some of those. I'm not ready to kill anyone yet so I'm doing pretty good.

It was great to get on here and see all your posts. That really helped more than you all know. I don't feel as bad now and more cheerful for the moment. You all are better than any smoking patch out there.

barbygirl43
07-01-2004, 02:43 PM
WTG on the first day so far. You can do this. I hear it gets a bit easier each day, you just have to get over those first few days of cravings.

tolose85
07-01-2004, 03:06 PM
Tammy, I am proud of you.. Very proud of you and You can do this I just know it!
Good luck and please keep us updated..

lessofsarahtolove
07-01-2004, 06:20 PM
It was great to get on here and see all your posts. That really helped more than you all know. I don't feel as bad now and more cheerful for the moment. You all are better than any smoking patch out there.

Awwww......I'M SO PROUD OF YOU I COULD BURST!!!! Just keep on eating those baby carrots, babe.....maybe some celery for variety. ;) You said that this thing was psychological, and that's exactly what I've heard. From what I understand, the physical addiction passes after a week. The rest is all in your head. It's a HABIT, so you'll have to replace the old smoking behavioral habits with new ones. So in the morning, for example, instead of having a cigarette first thing, you'll need to figure out what you can do to replace that action with a newer, healthier one. According to what I've read, this is the critical step that is missing from a lot of unsuccessful attempts to quit smoking. That whole "when I do this, I smoke.....when I do that, I smoke afterwards...." thing just has to be turned upside down in your head.

God bless your little head, Tammy!! :D I really feel for what you're going through.....but I have NO DOUBT AT ALL that you can do whatever you set your mind to! You go with your bad :censored: !

And just think of your skin.......and how much better you'll smell!! And the money you'll save!!! And the things that you'll taste!!! As you can see, I'm pretty excited for you! :o :lol:

artist
07-02-2004, 07:01 AM
Tammy, you're doing great.....it definitely gets easier, I promise you! Just keep chewing those baby carrots girl......as to the emotions and moodswings - if you have to bite peoples heads off, you just go right ahead and do it....(only don't swallow, could add up to a lot of calories that way!).....just to add a little spurt of motivation, there was a report just published here in the UK, based on over 50 years of research....by quitting smoking you are adding something like 10 years of healthy living to your life!

Keep telling us how you're doing, and let us know how we can help....

Tammy32
07-02-2004, 01:07 PM
Well, Day number 2. I am still smoke free. Today feels a heck of alot better than yesterday so far. I learned that driving was not a good idea yesterday. Someone ticked me off and I was tempted to chase after them. hehe..I was yelling cuss words though in the process. But, I made it through the first day!! Only bad thing I did was buy Twizzlers. Very low fat and they really helped alot. I figure that was not so bad. Other than that I kept my eating right on track. I'll post more later. I have to get my daughter to the dentist.

Sandi
07-02-2004, 02:20 PM
Tammy -

Just want to congratulate you on a wonderful decision!!! Day 2 and your going strong!!!

You can do it!!!!!

Tammy32
07-03-2004, 12:18 AM
Day 2 is almost done. I had one incident with my son that almost broke me. But, in the end I held strong, although I did yell alot. I've been super tired the past two days. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with withdrawl symptoms. Exercise helps when I have the bad cravings though. I don't think I am going to be up weight wise, but I think there is a very good chance that I won't see a weight loss this coming week. I snacked and snacked today. Mostly on Twizzlers. I guess those are better than candy bars and such. I'm proud of myself. Hopefully tomorrow will be a little easier than today.

Jennelle
07-03-2004, 01:32 AM
Have you tried gum or cinnamon toothpicks? The oral thing is still there, but it's a lot less empty calories than Twizzlers.

I have heard that the third day is the toughest. Hang in there!

artist
07-03-2004, 07:31 AM
Hey Tammy

You are doing so well, my dear! You just hang on in there, and this worst part will pass......it does get better, and you will really really really feel the benefits, especially when you are exercising. As for the snacking/maintaining - give yourself a break, girl! If you can give up smoking and maintain your weight all in the same week, you are doing brilliantly.....a saint, I would say, or at least certainly inhuman!

And you are so right to be proud of yourself!

Keep telling us how you are doing.....

Ivanna B. Skinny
07-03-2004, 11:43 AM
Tammy, I havn't posted a note to you yet, mostly because I'm ashamed of myself. I started smoking when I was 16, smoked for 5 years, and quit cold turkey when I found out I was carrying my DD. After I had her, I went for over a year w/o picking up the habit again( by the way, DH quit with me)...but last month DH came home smelling of Marlboro lights...he had started back! I resisted for 3 weeks...but alas, I had one. Then another, and another...you get the picture. I want to quit , but then again, I dont...ya know that feeling?? Any way Tammy, what Im trying so spit out...is that Im very proud of you. I know that this is hard, probably up there on the list of hardest things you'll ever do in your life...but DO NOT GIVE UP!!!! DO NOT GIVE IN !!!! Your body by day 2 is niqutine(sp??) free. Now, its that habit, and your doing GREAT using baby carrots and twizzlers! I always needed something to do with my hand, so I cut a straw in half and held it like a cig. I looked silly, but it worked. We are all here for you. DO NOT GIVE UP!!!

KristasMom
07-03-2004, 01:24 PM
Tammy - I quit 20 years ago in April, which is also when I got sober. I have friends who say that quitting heroin is easier than quitting smoking, and I know that it's easier to quit drinking than to quit smoking! :yes:
But it can be done. Personally, I started at like 13 - both my parents smoked like chimneys, and I didn't buy a cigarette until I went to college. I finally quit when the doctor said that I was going to die from my asthma. It took a YEAR! Today, when I'm stressed at work, I bring a container of celery sticks and chomp while I work. Can you say oral fixation. :lol:

Well, if you ever need to scream, we're here. And we know what it feels like.

Sue
278/270/160
SW/CW/GW

Sheila53
07-03-2004, 01:26 PM
All right, Tammy! You're doing super! :cp:

melsfolly
07-03-2004, 04:52 PM
Congratulations on your decision! I smoked for over 20 years and gave it up last year (before I joined Weight Watchers) so I've been there. But from what I've seen, you are a strong person so I have faith that you will do it. Good luck!!

Melissa

SuchAPrettyFace
07-03-2004, 06:20 PM
Congrats on your wonderful decision. I spent the last 5 years working for the American Cancer Society, so I know the effect smoking can have on your life.

Hope you did great this weekend! :)

Jen
07-03-2004, 10:08 PM
Tammy, I bought my mom a book about quitting smoking, the author's name was Alan Carr. I read it and thought it was great. It had no affect on her because she is not in the right frame of mind to quit but I think it would be a great book for you to read. It is called Alan Carr's Easy Way to Quit Smoking. It wasn't too expensive. I thought it would be very effect and apparently he does seminars to help people quit and is very successful.

congrats on hanging in there, I know you can do it!! I'll bet in some ways you are feeling better already.

Tammy32
07-04-2004, 01:19 AM
Wow, you all are great. What wonderful encouragement you give!! Well, it is close to the end of day 3. I did not smoke today. The first part of the day was harder today. I was out and about though. I had to go to Wal-Mart and the grocery store. I did not consume as many twizzlers today. Each day is getting a little easier. It takes the body 30 days to rid itself of the nicotine. After that it is all psychological. To me right now it feels mostly psychological. I crave most after I eat, or talk on the phone, stuff like that.

Amy Jo, I know that ashamed feeling all to well. It's majorly hard to stay quit when someone else in the house is smoking. Fortunately I am the only smoker. And I hate to say it but since my husband is away it has been easier to quit. I can't quite figure out why. You and I both know how dumb it is to pick up the habit after quitting.

Thank you all for your kind words. It helps like you would not believe. I just hope that each day gets easier and easier. I leave out alot in my posts. It might seem like I make this pretty simple but it's been very, very difficult to say the least. I just try to keep it positive. I guess all the smokers and past smokers know what I am talking about. I once tried to explain to my husband about the addiction. He has never been a smoker and could not understand why it would be so hard to just quit. I think he realizes now it is very difficult because he went through it with me before. I'm so glad that you all have been able to give me positive support. It makes such a huge difference.

artist
07-04-2004, 02:39 PM
Hey Tammy

You are doing great, girl! Just keep at it, one day at a time - and believe me, it does get easier. You don't have to stay cheerful for us you know! Please feel free to write about the difficult stuff too, if it helps......

You just hang in there, and the cravings will definitely ease up....

Amanda Panda
07-04-2004, 02:47 PM
Hi Tammy,

I just wanted to say well done on giving up smoking - and by doing the whole thing so publicly! I gave up smoking 8 months ago and it is the best thing I ever did for myself. I was a very heavy smoker but I managed to quit on my first attempt - with the help of nicotine patches and prayer! If you aren't already using them, I'd really recommend patches - they really helped me. I also chewed gum, even though I hate the stuff, but it seemed to help.

I was also dieting at the same time as quitting - I did end up putting on about 10lb, not because I was eating to replace cigarettes, but because cigarettes are an appetite suppressant, so when I quit I felt alot more hungry. Also smoking increases your metabolism, so giving up can slow it down a bit - the best thing to do is exercise to keep it up. Anyway, even if you do put on a few pounds, giving up smoking is so much more important at the moment - it is SO important and worthwhile, everything else can wait!

Nicotine is one of the most addictive substances on earth - more addictive than heroin, so go easy on yourself - take one day at a time, one hour at a time if necessary and soon it will get easier.

Stay strong! :strong:

Love Amanda xx

Br00klyn
07-05-2004, 10:21 AM
Tammy - Well done! :bravo:

Congratulations on making the decision to quit smoking, and on getting through the first few days!

I will definetly be looking to you for inspiration and guidance over the next couple months ( I plan on quitting too), as I've quit countless times and restarted. Kind of like the yo-yo dieting, only its been yo-yo smoking! :lol:

Anyways, Tammy again - congrats and YOU CAN DO THIS!

Tammy32
07-05-2004, 01:57 PM
Well, I made it to day 5!! Yesterday was a little hard because I went out for 4th of July stuff. I did not smoke, but I munched alot. I'm not sure if I am going to weigh this week or not. I know if I have gained then that will cause me stress and then I will want to smoke. I might just wait til next week when the cravings to smoke have eased up a bit.

Amanda, so true that cigarettes are an appetite supressant. I am keeping up my exercise plan. I have exercised everyday, minus one day, since I have quit. The exercise makes the cravings a bit easier. Before I was such a goof. I'd come home from exercising and want a cigarette!!

Celina, to funny about yo-yo smoking. That's me. I figured that since I was losing weight to get healthy it was a little hypocritical of me to keep smoking if I was trying to get healthy.

I am going to try not to snack as much today and see how that goes. You all have a great day!!

lessofsarahtolove
07-05-2004, 10:22 PM
Tammy, I've been in a cabin in West Virginia for the last few days, so I've been absent here....but as soon as I signed on tonight, this was the very first thread I came to.....I'm so excited to hear your good news! 5 DAYS!! I'm really proud of you, and am so happy for you.

I think maintaining your weight during the first week of quitting smoking is an absolutely amazing accomplishment! Just let yourself get through this first week without loading on the additional pressure of losing weight. Just get through this first week, I think, and continue to take steps to keep the eating in check, but don't stress yourself too much -- first things first!

You're doing so great, Tammygirl, and I couldn't be prouder of you! :grouphug:

Br00klyn
07-06-2004, 12:17 AM
Tammy - Yeah the "yoyo smoking" ties right in with the "yoyo" dieting and both have to stop... However, I keep telling myself that once I lose some weight and start getting in better shape.. It will be easier for me to quit cuz I'll want to be healthy all around..

artist
07-06-2004, 05:26 AM
Hi Tammy

Day 5 - you are doing great, girl. Hope you do OK on the less snacking routine, but I agree with Sarah.....one thing at a time....give yourself a break and don't worry too much about your weight this first week.....quitting smoking is a HUGE thing.....

howie6267
07-06-2004, 01:53 PM
Great job getting this far Tammy. You can do it. I know others on here struggle with more than food addiction and you are an inspiration to be taking care of two addictions at once. Keep up the good work. They say if you can do something for three weeks it will most likely become habit. So hang in there, week one is almost done.

Tammy32
07-06-2004, 02:24 PM
This morning I woke up not craving a cigarette first thing. That was a huge deal for me. I've decided I won't weigh this week. Quitting smoking and TOM can not be good on the scale. I'm doing way better at not grabbing for the sweets when I am craving a smoke. I feel a bit less grouchy today also. It's getting easier each day. I leave on July 13th for vacation. I think that the cravings are going to be tolerable by then, and I will be able to handle the flight with the kids ok. It made me proud when my daughter tells me yesterday, "I'm so glad you quit smoking mommy so you won't die or have black lung". Things like that make this so worth it!! I think for the most part that I have my eating habits back on track. I thought that quitting would throw me off a bit longer, but it does not seem that is going to be the case this time. I really think that exercise is key. Ok, this might sound gross but those of you who are smokers and have quit can relate. I've not started coughing up all that black stuff from my lungs yet. I am hoping that comes soon cause that is pretty disgusting and I would like to get it over with. I always get cold like symptoms when I quit and expel tons of gross junk from my lungs. Does this happen to everyone when they quit? Or, is that just me?

Thanks you all for keeping me in check. It helps so, so much!! Having this much support has made this so much easier for me. I've not had this much support in the past when I quit and it certainly makes a HUGE difference. Thank you guys so much!!

Edit:typoes

artist
07-07-2004, 05:44 AM
Hi Tammy

What can I say? You are doing soooooo well. I think that's a mighty sensible decision not to weigh yourself this week - you just hang on in there with the exercise, and beating off those cravings. So glad it is beginning to get easier - I promise you it does....you will soon be having those days when you don't even think about a cigarette.

Black stuff? Nope, didn't get that.....what I did find was that exercising/breathing was a lot easier once I had quit, and also my throat/lungs just felt a lot cleaner. Nowadays, on the odd occasion when I hang out with smokers/in a smoky pub, the next day I feel like I have a hangover (despite the fact I rarely drink alcohol).....

You are doing a great job, and you just have to keep going!

KristasMom
07-07-2004, 12:39 PM
Yeah, Tammy!

Every day is a day closer to not noticing that you don't smoke any more!

djs06
07-07-2004, 01:13 PM
Tammy, I'm really impressed. You are doing so well!

Tammy32
07-07-2004, 02:30 PM
Still smoke free. I did terrible yesterday at controlling my cravings for sweets. I crave them normally but since I have quit smoking when I go to grab something to calm a cigarette craving I always grab something sweet. I've decided that when that urge is really bad I am going to chug down a big glass of water. I have to get the carb cravings under control. I know it may take a few more days, but I know I can kick the carbs to the curb too. My husband was greatly relieved that I did not yell at him over the phone yesterday. The day before I had really tore into him quite badly. I am so glad he is very understanding. My walking buddy did not know I smoked and yesterday I fessed up to her that I had been smoking and had quit. I felt so ashamed, but after I told her I was not anymore. I came to find out that her husband used to smoke and dips sometimes now. I did not know that before. I guess as a smoker I always thought people were judging me. The same holds true for me being overweight.

My goal today is to keep the carbs to a minimum. To the normal amount that I usually would take in daily. I don't want to gain control over one thing and lose it with another. I'm going to work really hard today. You all have a wonderful day!!

Ivanna B. Skinny
07-07-2004, 08:22 PM
Tammy, I am SOOO proud of you! 6 days is MAJOR! I never had any black stuff, but like Claire said, exercise got TONS easier! We're here if you need us. Keep up the GREAT work!!!

SuchAPrettyFace
07-07-2004, 10:11 PM
Congratulations Tammy!!! :)

artist
07-08-2004, 05:37 AM
Hi Tammy

6 days down, and you are kicking that habit, babe! You are a star!!! Hmmm. Carb cravings - I know that one, too! You're a brave and strong woman for tackling the two at once......I've found that if I stick to low-glycaemic index carbs (porridge oats, sweet potatoes, rye, etc), and have lots of healthy snacking things to hand (fruit, chopped up veggies, yogurt) I do OK. My current favourite snack is plum cherry tomatoes - just like eating sweets......

Now, speaking of sweet and treats, how you doing on planning that shopping trip???? Could be a great distraction from the ciggies and carbs.....

Hang on in there.....and as to feeling judged for smoking/being large. Hmmm. I don't have a lot of time for people who make those kinds of foolish judgements!

barbygirl43
07-08-2004, 01:37 PM
I'm so glad to come back and see that you are still hanging in there. My mom got bad news about my uncle on Friday--he's got lung cancer and it can't be operated on so I think she's finally decided to quit smoking. When I talked to her last night she said she had 6 cigarettes the whole down--down from a pack a day. She's quit several times in the past but I think this time may be it since she and my uncle will probably be the one's caring for my other uncle.

Tammy32
07-10-2004, 11:37 PM
Oh Dawnyal, I am so sorry to hear that your uncle has lung cancer. I hope that your mom has sucess at quitting. I hope that I never get a diagnosis of lung cancer. I hope that I am quitting in time to reverse some of the damage I have done to myself.

Well, it has been about nine days. It has been very trying. My baby has a bad ear infection and I am trying to get ready for our long vacation. I have been sleep deprived and depressed. I am doing a bit better today. I've not smoked. I'm sure the coming days will get easier.

lessofsarahtolove
07-11-2004, 12:17 AM
Tammy, I'M SO PROUD OF YOU!!! You've truly become one of my heroes: you're losing buckets of weight, you've QUIT SMOKING, you're caring for your daughter solo while your husband is serving in Japan, and you show up here day after day to give support to the rest of us.

I think you're just great, and I wish I could give you a really big hug, because it sounds like you need one, you sweetie. I hope you get a good night's sleep tonight, and that your daughter heals quickly and is soon ready to go with you to Kohl's to pick out some inexpensive frock to show off your shrinking bod! (To yourself, for motivation, of course -- and maybe for a happy photo to send your hubby?) I'm rooting for you Tammy, and I think you're doing such a wonderful job in the face of so many challenges.......you kick some major :censored: . NO KIDDING.

artist
07-11-2004, 06:03 AM
Hey Tammy, nine days, that is fantastic. Particularly since you've been having a tough time of it - its so much harder when you're stressed, tired etc. You just hang on in there, and I promise you, it gets easier.

Keep going, star!

Amanda Panda
07-11-2004, 05:19 PM
Tammy, you are doing so well!

9 days is no mean feat - you are almost there - it will get easier from now on!

Stay strong!

Love Amanda xx

Ivanna B. Skinny
07-12-2004, 08:51 AM
Tammy...11 days now!!! Im so proud of you there arent even words to describe! :cheer: :twirly: :dancer: :cp:

Tammy32
07-12-2004, 01:20 PM
Yep, yep, it is getting much easier. I find that at times when I used to crave a smoke I don't anymore. Hardest thing for me is to get past the cravings from stress. They really test me badly. But, I am still smoke free. I think I am pretty much home free now.

Aside from that, I am doing better on the eating front. I walked past a mirror yesterday while I was carrying my daughter and what I saw in the mirror distressed me. I am not seeing the me that is 44 pounds thinner. I am seeing the person that I always seem to see no matter what weight I am at(past thinking before journey). I think that might be a problem because that person is just a big, fat, slobbish looking person. I'm not sure why, all of the sudden, that that way of looking at myself has re-surfaced. I think also that me keeping my big clothes and wearing them could be part of the problem. I think they make me appear larger than I am but if this is a state of mind even changing the clothing is not going to make me see the thinner me. I don't know. I am hoping that this feeling will pass soon.

As always you all have been wonderful. You have helped me get through this rough time. I did it!! I am proud of myself. I could not have gotten better support anywhere else. You all were a huge part of the reason I have been sucessful at this. Thank you all so very much.

lessofsarahtolove
07-12-2004, 01:26 PM
Tammy: run, do not walk, to the nearest store to buy just a FEW items of smaller clothing. I am TELLING you, you will feel SO MUCH BETTER!!! PLEASE do this for yourself. You deserve to see some visual confirmation of your efforts. 44 pounds shows, girlfriend.....

Ok, here's some psychoplay: go to a mirror and picture yourself 44 pounds heavier. Same picture? Hm, didn't think so. You have lost a -- everybody please forgive me here -- a BUTTLOAD of weight, and you need to set yourself up as best you can to acknowledge that.

I'm telling you, a new frock, not the same old big tee. For the love of God, Tammy....... ;)

tolose85
07-12-2004, 01:41 PM
Yeah, what she said...... :)

Tammy32
07-12-2004, 02:17 PM
Gretchen and Sarah, You two made me laugh! Ok, you are right I need to go out and get some different clothes. I go on vacation tomorrow so I'm not going to have time but once I get to my destination I promise I am going to buy myself some new stuff. I know this is serious and I am setting myself up to fail if I don't turn this around. As I have said before failing is not an option and still is not. I owe it to myself to reward myself for the weight I have lost so far. I have to at least try and get some new clothes and see if that helps so I will know if I need to move on to some kind of counseling to get through the negative feelings I have when I look in the mirror. I hope that the getting new clothes will do the trick.

Marti
07-12-2004, 02:40 PM
Tammy--

Looks like you're doing an excellent job with not smoking. I congratulate you!! I am in the process of working on that myself. I had an "eye opener" (which I posted about with the Jaded Ladies) just yesterday and I think it pushed the panic button somewhere in me.

I had quit before, for four years!!, only to start up again. Shame on me for having done that!

Just wanted to let you know that I think it's great that you're doing this and that you're also not alone. I'll be working on it too. (will finish what I have....as stubborn as I am....but then thats it!)

Keep up the good work!

Marti

BTW...do you feel you crave food more now? I didn't the first time I quit..I'm hoping I don't this time too......but you never know!

Br00klyn
07-12-2004, 03:24 PM
Tammy - Dahling, you're doing fabulous! I'm so proud of you! :cb: :dance: :dancer:

Its day 12 - and you're still going strong! That's such a major accomplishment! Be proud!

artist
07-12-2004, 07:55 PM
Tammy, if anybody deserves some new clothes, it is you. I promise you, you will feel SOOOOOOOOOOOOO much better when your clothes fit properly!

Glad you've made it through the worst of the smoking cravings - unbelievable though it may sound now, there will come a time when you'lle go a whole day without even thinking about smoking.....I promise!

SuchAPrettyFace
07-12-2004, 08:56 PM
Dawnyal, sorry to hear about your uncle. :( I will keep you & yours in my thoughts & prayers.

Tammy we are all so proud of you! You deserve some new clothes, so you can make them just as baggy as your old ones. :)