South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 06-27-2004, 08:55 AM   #1  

Unhappy Help I am feeling Discouraged!

Hi, My name is Melanie and I am also on the sbd.
My problem is that this is my second time on the Diet. I do great until I get to phase 2 then it seems to be down hill from their. I started this diet on 6/11/04 and I am now on the 2day of phase 2. Needless to say I am still on the phase 1 eatting plan. I follow the plan by the book.
In the first 2 weeks I have losts 9lbs. But once I get on phase2 I can't seem to lose any more weight that is when I get discouraged and say the Heck with it.
This is why I am here to have help through the difficult times.
Help!!!!!!
SW 140
Now131
GW 115
Old 06-27-2004, 09:01 AM   #2  

When you did SBD before, how long did you stay on Phase 2? The book states that your weight loss will slow to 1-2 pounds a week. Slow and steady weightloss is what is going to keep your weight off in the long run.

Be patient, give it time, and know that you are doing a great thing for your body in the meantime.
Old 06-27-2004, 09:24 AM   #3  
Ready to Change

S/C/G: 170/160/125

Height: 5 ft

Hi Melj welcome to the beach. We all get discourged but like kiko said be patient we did not gain weight over night so it will not come off over night. Trust us we all have been there and some of us are still there. I keep praying for the weight loss fairy to visit me every night so far he has not come. I know it must be a guy because if it was a girl she would have been there. Anyway you came to the right place you will get lots of support here. Don't give up. All goods things come to those who wait.
Old 06-27-2004, 11:11 AM   #4  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Hi, Mel J!

I and many others on this board have found the menus in the book for Phase 2 to be pretty counter-intuitive to what the book says. For instance, Dr. A talks about not having fruit early in the morning, as it tends to induce cravings, then the menu for Phase 2, Day 1 has berries first thing! Ack! So, trust yourself...think about what you have learned in the book, and create your own plan. Either start small and build up on the number of fruit and carb servings, or start big and work down. Either way works. If you are not losing, you are probably eating too much fruit and carbs. Unfortunately, I have to limit myself to one fruit and one carb to lose, but it works great and is worth it.

Treat this like a challenge, a puzzle you have to solve, and you'll come away with weight loss, joy, and a better knowledge about how your personal body works.

I know you can do this!
Old 06-27-2004, 11:34 AM   #5  
Traci

Wow, you don't have much to lose at all.... things will probably go pretty slow for you because of that.

Didn't someone say that the book's meal plans were not written by the Dr. himself, but by a nutrionalist?I also found the Phase II meal plans to be counter-intuative to what the Dr. is trying to teach you.

I personally can't follow the meal plans in the book for Phase II, if I did I wouldn't lose any weight. I took some good advice given here and now do "Phase I and 1/2" for my Phase II. I eat one starch and one fruit a day, and the rest of what I eat is Phase I stuffs.

I also had to adjust my expectations of the diet. Losing 1 to 2 pounds a week is the goal for me now. Some weeks I don't lose at all, but I stay strong knowing that the slower it comes off the slower it comes back on!

I admit that the "Diet Coke and Cigarette" diet worked much faster for me in my youth - LOL - but I do SB because I feel it's the healthiest thing out there. It's also really hard to accept the fact that fast weight loss is not better, it's worse! Fast weight loss has all kinds of bad things associated with it, including yo-yo potential which is really bad for your heart new studies are saying.
Old 06-27-2004, 01:40 PM   #6  

My weight loss started stalling in week 2 of phase 1, imagine my dissappointment!!! but i honestly flelt staying on the planand being patient is better then just reverting back to a way of eating that i KNOW will keep me overweight. can you honestly say eating the SBD way will make you GAIN weight? course not! but eating the way we did to get us overweight in the first place def. will! what i did for phase 2 was what beachgal said. at first i started it by eating one piece of fruit a day in conjunction with phase 1 eating. then i added one starch carb the following week. now i still do not eat starchy carbs everyday but i have upped my fruit serving. and i'm still steadily losing. and i think we are around the same weight. so i know it works! do you work out? i think that can really help as well! keep going! you'll see results eventually!
Old 06-27-2004, 03:16 PM   #7  

Just remember your weight loss does stall in weeks 3 and 4 and this tends to coincide with starting phase two. Take your measurements and check that they are getting smaller because if you are exercising you may be building muscle and losing fat but not see any changes on the scale.
Old 06-27-2004, 10:13 PM   #8  

I just wanted to thank-you all for your words of encouragement. It really helped!
And I have to remember that the weight doesn't come off as easy as it came on. I should also mention that I was on phase 2 last time for 3 weeks and didn't lose a pound! And I also have my owen Daycare Center so I cook on average 6 meals a day plus snacks. So I deal with alot of food on a daily bases.
Thanks Again, MelJ
Old 06-27-2004, 11:34 PM   #9  
I AM MY KIDS MOM

S/C/G: 208/162/135

Height: 5' 2.5"

Mel,

Did you do your measurements last time? Maybe your were losing inches and the weight loss would follow. Are you drinking your water also?

Hope you are having a wonderful day
Closed Thread