South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 06-26-2004, 03:20 PM   #1  
I vant to draw your blood

Exclamation Lipid testing: Advice from the vampire

Just read Kaetra's thread regarding cholesterol testing. I feel so bad for anyone who has to go the entire day without food so they can get tested in the afternoon.

We try to get all our fasting tests in first thing in the AM. From the vampire's point of view here are a few things that will help you survive and make your phlebo's job a little easier.

1. Even though you are fasting, unless your doc specifically says "Nothing by mouth", you can and SHOULD drink plenty of water. Blood is 90% water, so drinking plenty will keep you hydrated while you're fasting. It also will get your blood volume up which means that it will be easier for the phlebo to get the job done in one stick.

2. Be aware that chewing gum and breath mints count as food--unless they're sugar free, will cause glucose and lipid levels to peak in a very short time. I've also seen instances where the patient swears they fasted for 12 hours but they'd gorged on high fat, high carb foods a couple days before and their triglycerides were so high our graphs couldn't calculate the numbers.

3. Even though it's warm outside, you might want to wear a light jacket or sweater as labs are usually as freezing as the doctor's office. Keeping your arms warm will make it easier for the phlebo to find your veins.

4. If you're diabetic or hypoglycemic, bring something to eat with you so you can eat as soon as you're done. I've had several instances where people fainted because their blood glucose levels bottomed out after the blood draw. (I keep candy on hand for this. I just make sure it's watermelon flavored, which I detest )

5. If you know that one arm is better than the other, or you know you have small veins, etc... speak up and tell the phlebo. You know your body better than anyone else. But please, be sure to do it in a nice way.

Okay, I'm off my soapbox. Hope your next encounter with a vampire is painless and the numbers are perfect!

Mamacita
Resident Vampire
Old 06-26-2004, 04:16 PM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Good stuff, Mama.
Closed Thread