Old 06-25-2004, 05:44 PM   #1  

Default Starting Induction Monday - Need help

Hi All, I'm wondering if you can help me. I'm starting Induction on Monday and need some breakfast ideas so I can shop and get ready over the weekend--convenient things that don't require cooking or much assembly time. Are there bars or anything? The other big challenge is Starbucks, of course. Is there anything there I can get during this phase or the next? Thanks for your help! All suggestions welcome.
mbscalise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 09:19 PM   #2  
thinly,... disguised

I'm not a huge Breakfast eater, mostly because I'm not hungry first thing and am NOT a morning person, so getting ready for work is about all I can handle ,.......so I usually just grab a hunk of cheese, or I always have cooked up chicken breast so I can grab that, also deviled eggs are filling.........I have found since I like Omlets and there pretty low in points, I make one the night before , wrap really tight in foil, in the morning Nuke it , and it isn't bad, I'm not to fond of this after more than a day has past because the egg gets kinda rubbery..........

Not to sure about Starbucks, never been in there except to grab there grounds for my Compost Pile, lol...........I know that International Delights has a 3pt Flavored creamer, I LOVE the Southern Butter Pecan

The very best of WL luck to you
Designinsperations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 09:40 PM   #3  

Boil some eggs and keep in your fridge. Also some ham slices that you can roll up. I usually put cream cheese on mine, roll them up and you can take them with you. Also carry pork rinds in your car, in your bag, on your person, in your desk, at home, etc. lol I'm on day 5 of induction and that's all the ideas I have for take with you stuff. Oh, I have taken leftover chicken with me also. Not too bad with coffee. Nothing is really bad with coffee.
Lolow38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 10:08 PM   #4  
Baby Steps

I save the bars for when I ABSOLUTELY cannot get a lunch on the go. I try not to rely on them. Learning to re-eat decent food is the interesting (and hard) part. Try bringing cauliflower, celery and broccoli for snacks. For breakfast I usually nuke a couple sausage links, fry some eggs and I'm usually eating within 5 minutes. DH puts a couple eggs and cut up sausage, peppers, onions and such into a microwave dish and heats that up. It's yummy also. I don't eat much variation so I can't help much. But good luck!!
lady_adnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 10:30 PM   #5  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

I love turkey bacon YUMMY, but only the Louis Rich brand, others are GAK!!!

Also you can make and freeze those egg muffins. Use a 12 hole muffin pan. Get a bowl, mix 8 eggs, zucchini, cheese, sauage, any veggie you like, salt, garlic powder, put batter in muffin holes and cook for 20 minutes at 350 degrees. The possibilites are endless because you can add anything you like, any veggie any meat, ham cheese and viola, an egg muffin, you can eat them cold or nuke em at work. I gotta find the recipe some where on one of these sites.........brb.

Here's the version thats on south beach.. you get the point.......

I mixed together 8 eggs, a shredded zucchini, 4 fried and crumbled slices of bacon, a cup of mozz cheese and put it all in 6 of those huge muffins cups after I sprayed them with Pam. I baked them at 350 for 20 minutes until they were browned a bit.

Next time I'm making them with pepperoni, mozz and oregano. How about cheddar cheese with broccoli and maybe a touch of onion? The variety is endless.
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 11:04 AM   #6  
Head Princess

Being a non-breakfast eater for my entire life, this was the biggest change for me. I still can't eat a meal in the morning, so I just have a few little things that I spread out over the course of 6 am till noon. Some ideas: pre-cooked frozen sausage, bacon, string cheese, any cheese for that matter, cucumber slices, bell pepper slices, celery sticks with cream cheese, leftovers from the night before....... No one said that breakfast has to consist of what we typically think of as breakfast food. Don't limit yourself!

As for Starbucks, since you're on induction, get an Americano. If you go to www.starbucks.com you can check out the nutritional info for any type of drink you're curious about so you know exactly what you're getting yourself into. Research is priceless.

One last hint. Stay away from specialty products (bars, shakes, candy, etc.) they will only set you up for failure at this point. Part of the purpose of induction is to re-structure your eating habits. So stick with the whole, natural foods and leave the frankenfoods for someone else.
StarPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 01:39 PM   #7  

I thought we couldn't have milk on Induction? Also, on the Atkins site, it says we can have Atkins Advantage bars and shakes on Induction. I've seen some conflicts on what they say in the book and what it says on the site. The Atkins site also has a sample Induction menu that lists a strawberry shake for breakfast, but I thought we weren't supposed to have any fruit at all?
Old 06-28-2004, 02:05 PM   #8  
Baby Steps

Nope. No milk on induction. The atkins site IS very confusing. I think people starting Atkins should go by the book. That's the STRICT induction. Makes you re-think how you eat (well, SOME of us ). I'm a firm believer that there is STRICT induction and then induction (where things like a few nuts are allowed). Nope, no fruit on induction either. The list for induction foods is very limited if you go by the book. In fact I need to re-read the book!!!!
lady_adnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 03:00 PM   #9  
Head Princess

There are 2 Atkins'. One is a doctor who developed a fantastic plan for health and weightloss. The other is a corporation that is out to make money. One you should listen to, the other you should not. I have yet to meet someone who has been successful losing weight and keeping it off by living on shakes and bars. Whole food is where it's at.
StarPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 09:40 AM   #10  

So you guys are saying "go by the book"? It seems like the Atkins site is mostly "buy our products" and stuff, and I know there's other, better, stuff out there. I even emailed the company and asked about the conflict of information, and they basically sent me a reprint of the food list from the book and added on the stuff about their products showing the little icon showing the phases. I don't intend to live by the convenience foods, but when you first start out it's hard knowing what to eat and being creative about it. Sometimes I think it would be easy to grab a bar/shake in the morning or if I'm on the run (very stressful job), but can you suggest which ones are good for occasional use and if I can use them on Induction (although if I go by the book, it's "no," right?)?
Old 06-29-2004, 10:09 AM   #11  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

mbscalise, your right, when you first start out it is confusing and frustrating as all heck, but you really need to learn the ropes first before going to the bars/shakes. It is hard but you can do it, then in no time, it becomes 2nd nature. Honest!!
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 07:07 PM   #12  
I'm a Jovi Girl

S/C/G: 225/169.5/140

So Leenie... when you are making these egg muffins.. how many carbs are you counting them as? do you vary them based on what you put in them?
KarenW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 03:35 PM   #13  

mbscalise - Just check'n to see you're going in your first week...
LOVE2C135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 08:18 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 208/199/128

mbscalise - You have received wonderful advice here. The biggest thing it that no matter what you do, you will succeed. Don't worry about doing everything perfect...just doing something is going to make a difference in you! You will do great!!!
LoriAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 11:24 AM   #15  

You guys have been great! Thanks for all the advice. I've been following the plan (from the book) to the "T," no bars or shakes at all. It's my 5th day and I'm not sure how far I'm down (I weighed myself a couple of days ago and was down a few pounds!). Star's suggestion of cream cheese on celery and precooked sausages solved my breakfast dilemmas this week, but I still have to work on figuring out breakfast ideas (I'm fine with non-breakfast foods for breakfast).

Another question: how many of you really stay away from the sugar alcohols and aspartame? I've been religious this week about not having it. Aspartame is hard to avoid!

And does anyone know of any good gum with Splenda?

Thanks again! I'll check-in in a few days to report the progress. Thanks for the support!