South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 06-25-2004, 11:53 AM   #1  

Question End of phase 1, not great results

I just finished phase 1.
I lost 4lbs.
1 inch in the waist. Nothing on the hips.

Here's my cheats:
2 glass of wine
3 pieces of chocolate (the father-in-law brought us chocolates from Switzerland)
2 popcorns (and not the air kind)
-didn't drink much water?

BUT I also did tons of exercise:
2 soccer games
5 days of weightlifting
1 step class
1 cross training class
1 5-mile hike

---
it's kind of discouraging. I did Fat Flush last fall and lost at least 6lb during Phase 1.

-------
Anyone have thoughts? ideas why I had no dramatic results. I don't mind slow weightloss, so I'm gonna continue. It's certainly better then weight gain.

-Diane
187/183/135
Old 06-25-2004, 01:34 PM   #2  

Height: 5'-2"

I think you've answered your own question, Diane. It doesn't pay to cheat.
Old 06-25-2004, 01:43 PM   #3  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Maybe this isn't the plan for you. Why did you chose it over Fat Flush if Fat Flush worked? everyone needs to find the plan that suits them. they all work if you stick to the rules.
Old 06-25-2004, 02:14 PM   #4  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Diane,

Phase 1 is meant to help you get rid of the sugars in your system. By cheating, you basically made all your other work useless. Why don't you try it again without cheating and see how you do? I did Phase 1 with literally no cheats at all (I ate three bites of a bean salad which turned out to have sugar, but other than that, nothing!) and I lost 26 pounds Granted, I have a lot more to lose than you do, but you get the picture?

I'm glad that you'll try to continue SBD, but Ruth is right, make sure this is the plan for you. In Phase 1, you need to be very strict to see results. If you can't do this, try something that will let you cheat, like Weight Watchers.
Old 06-25-2004, 02:20 PM   #5  
Mel

If you've already been dieting or don't have a lot to lose, you aren't going to see huge results from phase I, either. Although I agree with Ellis, I did phase I without a single cheat, lifted or did cardio every day, guzzled water, and lost exactly 3 pounds. Not nearly the great results that are advertised. But I've been exercising and eating low carb and no sugars for 3 years, so the results are pretty explainable. Try it again- 2 weeks isn't that long!

Mel
Old 06-25-2004, 02:42 PM   #6  
I AM MY KIDS MOM

S/C/G: 208/162/135

Height: 5' 2.5"

I agree with the others! A cheat is a cheat.

But also all the weightlifting could be added lean muscle. And always make sure you drink lots of water.

Good Luck in whatever you choose!
Old 06-25-2004, 03:51 PM   #7  

I'm planning on sticking with South Beach. I'll probably stay on modified phase 1 for another week...and then i'm off to London for a week. Hopefully I wont undo the good I've done.
I picked the popcorn cheat after finding a note from the doctor himself that (read down)
http://www.prevention.com/cda/featur...6001,00.html--

Today is my 3 month anniversary from quitting smoking. Of course looking back at the popcorn post I now realize that the person was writing about Phase 2. D'oh!

Here are my reasons for not staying on Fat Flush:
1. Supplements ($$)
2. Hummus (i love it.. and she doesn't really allow beans in Phase 1 or 2)
3. She's bigger on portion size

The other big difference, and something I like about Fat Flush is that she's concerned about your liver. She's also really big on organic vegies and grass fed meats. (Also $$)

-
So.. I guess I'd been hoping to get more encouragement by posting. But like most of you said "a cheat is a cheat"

---
Now for a glass of water.

Cheers!
Diane
Old 06-25-2004, 04:05 PM   #8  
I AM MY KIDS MOM

S/C/G: 208/162/135

Height: 5' 2.5"

Diane,
I am sorry we haven't given you more encouragement. I really don't know why you haven't lost any more weight than that.

Just keep up the plan like planned and see what week 2 brings. Hopefully by next week your body will understand that you are not playing around and are serious about losing this weight! I am sure you will have a great loss for next week!

Let us know!

I see that your starting weight is the same starting weight I was at when I started the Beach. And our goal weights are the same!

I know you can do this! Keep it up!
Old 06-25-2004, 04:10 PM   #9  

Thanks for the cheerleading,Mompen. That's what I love about reading the boards here. I noticed that we were around the same weight with the same kinds of goals. When I was 26, I got down to 135 from 160 after working out 3-4 times a week for 6 months-I didn't change the way I ate. Then I moved to NYC and got a desk job.. that got me to 160 again (3 years later). Then I met the Hubby (dating is fattening) and then finally I was zoloft for a few years and that packed on the rest. At my highest I was 192. I've been off the meds so I'm sure they're not effecting my weightloss or appetite.
Old 06-25-2004, 04:36 PM   #10  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Diane, popcorn is great on Phase 2, but you need to have it without any topping or cooking it in any oil. You need to also keep it to a small portion--I believe it is one cup. Newman's Own makes a great organic microwave popcorn that is 97% fat free with no topping. Not as good for you as air popped, but if you don't want to invest in an air popper, try that or perhaps a "Natural" popcorn version...the low fat brand that comes in green boxes (cannot remember that name...) has one like that.

I bet that you'll see better results on Phase 1 with no cheating. But don't be discouraged if that doesn't happen. Let us know how you do in London--we're heading there in November, and I'm interesting in how I'm going to stay OP in the land of bangers and mash and bubble and squeak! Actually, I think I'll be fine other than the totally off plan afternoon tea that I intend to indulge in. Yes, Ellis, I'm going to go off plan when we go to Europe...just a tiny bit here and there. I do not want to experience Europe through a sugar hangover!!!
Old 06-26-2004, 05:16 PM   #11  

Hi Subi

I find that you really need to eat the vegies and drink the water. If my weight loss stalls I look at what I have eaten and find that even though I have eaten OP foods I haven't consumed the vegies or water that you are meant to on this eating plan. You are doing really well to lose 4 pounds especially since your current weight is not that high. There are many on this forum over 200 pounds so don't feel too disheartened when you hear about large weight losses. I would probably give it another week on phase 1 without any cheats at all. If you slip up, don't beat yourself up about it, just start phase one again the following day. You will probably need to switch to phase two when you are in London and if you find it too difficult to stay on plan while you are away you can always return to phase one when you get back. Your trip away will be an indiciation of how you can maintain this type of eating when you have reached your goal weight and are no longer dieting.
Old 06-26-2004, 06:20 PM   #12  
Traci

I only lost 4 lbs. on Phase I and I didn't cheat. But, I had a lot less weight to lose overall and I had been dieting for about 2 months before I started SB.

I think people who lose the 8-12 lbs. or more on Phase I either have a lot of weight to lose overall or were not dieting at all before starting SB.
Old 06-26-2004, 08:19 PM   #13  

I was just like Traci. I only lost 4 pounds on Phase 1 and I didn't cheat although I did eat out for lunch a few times OP but the portions were probably too big. I started South Beach at 197 and had already been eating better than I used to. I have continued to lose 2 pounds a week on Phase 2 and I am quite happy with that. I do find that eating lots of vegetables and exercising seem to really make a big difference.
Old 06-27-2004, 12:13 AM   #14  

Hi there!
Don't feel down. I only lost 4 pounds in phase 1 too and i didn't cheat once. AND i excersized about 4 days a week, 1 hr each time (mostly cardio). everyone's different and i think they shouldn't advertise that whole 8-12 pounds first 2 weeks cause i feel like most ppl don't lost that much. and then get disappointed when they don't meet it. keep going and i'm sure you'll see more results! i'm glad i didn't give up back then or else i wouldn't have lost all that i have! good luck!
Old 06-27-2004, 08:16 AM   #15  
Traci

They definitely should not advertise that 8-12 lbs. thing.

I always warn my freinds who ask me about SB and want to start it to lose a few pounds that the 8-12 lbs. thing is probably not going to happen, but that it's still a great program.
Closed Thread