South Beach Diet - TGIF Chat - June 25

View Full Version : TGIF Chat - June 25

Ruthxxx
06-25-2004, 05:48 AM
Wakey! Wakey! Coffee and tea on the deck in 15 minutes. You'd better bring a towel for your butt because the chairs are wet from last night's rain.
The Girls have eaten and are now hollering to get out for potty.:shrug: Back later.

clovey
06-25-2004, 07:52 AM
Morning all! Great coffee out here today Ruth, and I dont mind a little wet now and again.

My lunch is in the oven, roasted aubergines and tomatos (no, I am not going to dress as an aubergine). England lost the footie last night (Euro championships) and everyone here is a bit glum. Although we should be used to it by now as our national sports teams are a bit of a joke really.

Well, I tidied the office up yesterday and now have no excuse not to get down to the work properly. Off to a barbie tonight, good op food hopefully (although it is cold and rainy so I dont know how much fun it will be....). And tomorrow I am going to the House and Garden show to spend some money. And off to see mum and dad on Sunday. Action packed.....

love to all

Ruthxxx
06-25-2004, 07:59 AM
Morning - waving across the pond! Hey, what's the recipe for that lunch? I'm moving into summer mode with food and am drooling although it's still just before 8 AM.

clovey
06-25-2004, 08:08 AM
hello!

OK, here is the recipe....

what you need
Aubergine, cut up
tomatos
cumin seeds (one teaspoon full)
olive oil and vinegar dressing
salt and pepper

tin of chick peas, drained
basil leaves
chorizo sausage, or parma ham

what you do

you mix the first five ingredients and roast in a medium hot oven for an hour. Then you mix it with the chick peas, basil leaves and meat.

Yumm!

What you can do is fry off the ham/chorizo in a bit of the oil left from the veg roasting, but I dont bother. You can also add harrissa (that hot spicy paste from north africa) at the end, if you like some heat, but I dont do that either.

This is ok on phase one so long as the chorizo is not smothered in sat. fat. It is wonderful....the basil leaves just wilt slightly in the heat (a bit like me....).

Do try it!! We can sit out on your deck later and indulge....

Ruthxxx
06-25-2004, 08:15 AM
Thanks, Clovey. I'll move this to Recipes later. I do know harissa from a wonderful holiday in Tunisia. I love it and brought home a jar!

Do you want red or white wine? And would strawberries and yughurt be OK for dessert?

clovey
06-25-2004, 08:27 AM
mmm red for me thanks Ruth, and strawberries sounds lovely for dessert. In fact I could knock up some strawberry dipped chocolate.....(one of my fave SBD recipes....). :)

ellis
06-25-2004, 08:28 AM
aaaaah! It's the Ruth and Clovey thread! :lol3:

Good morning, girls! :wave:
Clovey, I was thinking about you yesterday and wondering WHERE THE **** you were! :grouphug: You SOUND reasonably sane. ;)

Ruth, it's beautiful out! And there was a very cool wind last night... we left the windows open. I love my attic bedroom. It has windows east and west. And it has six loads of unsorted laundry on the floor... back later...

clovey
06-25-2004, 08:28 AM
oops, 'chocolate dipped strawberries'. Hmm. Prefer my emphasis.....

clovey
06-25-2004, 08:30 AM
Ellis....I just LOVE the six loads of laundry on the floor look! So deconstructed. Loft Living.....stylish and spacious.

justjodi
06-25-2004, 08:48 AM
this week in STAR...."alien eggplant wearing woman hustles through the streets of Canada with 6 hot trash mags stuffed under her arm" ellis you totally crack me up!! my grandma got me hooked on the enquirer when i was just a little girl, she totally loved the stuff in those mags. now that she is nearly ninety and in a nursing home with alzheimers i read them to her just like she did for me when i was little. next time you go in for your purchase hold you head up high, lay 'em face up on the belt and look the cashier in the eye!!! (if thats too bold buy a womans day and lay it on top) as far as lottery tickets go i can't bring myself to buy them either.

ruth the coffee is good!! hope you enjoy your day!!

clovey- yum yum i'm in for lunch. nice to see you around. have a good weekend!!!

justjodi
06-25-2004, 08:55 AM
well shoot i got side tracked for a minute and forgot to tell you all about ME. i went to a lovely home demonstration party last night (i usually hate these) but this one was different it was a relaxation party a pamper yourself kind of thing. we soaked our feet in these warm salted baths and wore warm neck wraps and slathered ourselves with delicious smelling creams, we got wonderful pedicures and hand massages it was heavenly!!! i actually relaxed for the first time in weeks. yup i'm feeling really good right about now!!! gonna lay in the sun for a bit this afternoon and soak in some vitamin D. it feels good to take care of myself. going with the new attitude, i have also decided to quit feeling sorry for myself and make the number on the scale move again!!! wish me luck.
ta ta for now hope you all have a great weekend on the beach!!!

ellis
06-25-2004, 08:58 AM
:lol3: Jodi, you're killin' me. :rofl: Killin' me.
That's such a beautiful story about you and your grandma. You're a darling.

Clovey, we're so glad you're back. :)

Kiko
06-25-2004, 09:39 AM
Morning chicks...

My coffee is brewing, so I am a bit behind!

Ellis I was cracking up at your story. I am an avid fan of People mag- love it!

Jodi Your relaxing evening sounds divine!

Clovey I had some strawberries with chocolate the other night and they were so good!! I don't know what an aubergine is!

Well, gals, I need you to say a quick prayer for me if you are the praying type. I had a mammogram last week and they called back saying there were some abnormalities they needed to look at. So, I went for a sonogram yesterday- totally unconcerned- because I have had fibrous lumps before. They are not unconcerned, I am going in for a needle biopsy this afternoon. I am really still not thinking that something is really wrong, but am a bit freaked out over the procedure. As anyone else had one of these done? I did give birth to an 8 pounder and that hurt like a :censored: so I can't imagine this is that bad. Just send some good vibes my way!! :flow1:

That said, I was still OP yesterday and felt strong for not stress/emotion eating which would have been the case 6 weeks ago.

Barb0522
06-25-2004, 09:46 AM
Kiko - I will say prayers for you. I've never had a needle biopsy but we do have some good doctors/hospitals in this area. Please keep us posted.

ellis
06-25-2004, 09:48 AM
Oh, Karen, I will definitely be saying prayers for you. :grouphug: You are so right not to worry. Worrying is absolutely pointless, and I'm sure you'll be fine.
I had a needle biopsy about ...yikes...10 years ago or so on a lump on my neck. It wasn't a big deal at all. The only big deal was that I was worried sick (needlessly), brought my sister along for support, and wore a large cross around my neck. (to ward off vampires, perhaps?)
I seem to recall a small bandaid being slapped on my neck afterwards.
You're right... compared to giving birth, this'll be nothing! :lol:
Take care, sweetie... keep us posted.

justjodi
06-25-2004, 09:49 AM
oh wow kiko good luck today, you are totally in my prayers. good attitude you have keep it up and congrats on staying op that is no small accomplishment in my book. sending good thoughts your way!!

KristasMom
06-25-2004, 10:13 AM
Jodi - what a yummy evening - did you buy tons of stuff?

Kiko - whoa, girl, hope you got the good parayer I sent up when I read your message! But if you read this before the biopsy - remember that 90% of these things are benign. I've seen friends through them before, and it is very scary, but all of them are okay. The pain thing - it doesn't hurt because of the anesthesia when they do it, but it's like a bad cut for a few days afterwards (or so I've been told). Ask them what to take, then take it. You DO NOT have to be tough.

As for me, I wanted to thank you all for the kind words of encouragement. I had tuna fish salad for dinner last night, with lo fat mayo, with green olives, sweet peppers, and celery, and then I had steamed broccoli and cauliflower. I ate until I was full.
And for desert I tried the ricotta with cocoa. Oh, yum - I feel so much better now. The recipe sounded strange, but my taste buds danced.

This week I'll be working on managing my afternoons better. I feel good in the mornings, and do okay for lunch. But somewhere around 4 I get weird. I'm going to try having my snack at 3:30, and see what that buys me. And try to have supper as soon as I get home.

Take care all. Thanks for being here.

ellis
06-25-2004, 10:25 AM
Heck, Jodi, I missed your post about your fabulous evening! WOW!!! I'm so glad you're looking after YOU!! :grouphug:

Sue, I'm so glad this WOE is going well for you! :hat:

sweet tooth
06-25-2004, 10:52 AM
Mornin' everyone,

I finally woke up this morning feeling like a human and I have an appetite back. It has been a long week without eating and feeling like )(&%^$#$, so today is a welcome relief. The weather is great here and it is also Friday. :cool:

Ruth - the coffee is great...any refills? Behind's a bit on the wet side ;) , but that's OK. I wonder what the coworkers are thinking about the wet spot on my butt...

Kiko - Prayers go with you today. Hope everything goes well. Take care of yourself.

Clovey - I heard on the news this morning that England is out of the Euro. My son is an avid soccer player and had been following the games very closely. He has a friend that is over there now and was able to get tickets to that game. They were text messaging each other during the game because they are rivals when it comes to England/Portugal. His friend is Portugese and was delighted at the outcome. I haven't talked to our son yet since the game finished, but I imagine he is devastated.

Jodi - I love the story from the STAR. I got hooked on those when I was younger and really have to force myself not to buy. I have resigned myself to reading the headlines in the line-up at the grocery store. I try to do it discreetly so that people around me don't know what I am doing, but sometimes, they are just so intriguing it catches up. Sounds like last night was a dream. Ohhh, just the thought of relaxation and being pamered...

Thanks for the advice about losing. I am thinking that, since I didn't eat this past week, my body may have gone into starvation mode. I woke up with an appetite today (finally), and DH took me out for breakfast. I stayed OP for breakfast, and will make sure that I eat enough the rest of the day. Hopefully that will start the losing process once again.

I have decided to do Phase II for the next 2 weeks and then revert to Phase I for the week prior to vacation. We are planning a trip to Puerto Vallarta then, so I want to be in to that bikini by the time we go. Hopefully, I will be able to stay OP for the most part while we are there.

Last night, for supper, I decided to have a cheese stick...but ended up sharing the measly morsel with 2 puppies. I just can't resist the pleading eyes, so crater every time.

Hope everyone has a great day and a super weekend. Take care.

justjodi
06-25-2004, 11:39 AM
peggy glad you are feeling better, don't they just melt your heart the pleading eyes i mean. i have 3 sets staring at me everytime i sit down with something, you got to love 'em though.

kristasmom- i bought only 2 things but i booked my own party for august got a free neck wrap (you can stick it in the micro to warm it up...heavenly) and i will reap the rewards of the free stuff then, i hope my friends bring their purses!!!

ellis you take care of YOU too.

Kiko
06-25-2004, 11:49 AM
Thanks for the good vibes. :goodvibes I am going to drop off DD at my mom's, meet my husband, and go do this. I am getting nervous, maybe I should have had the doctor prescribe the meds she suggested for "taking the edge off". When she told me I wouldn't be able to drive myself and was thinking that it must take off a :censored: of an edge! :lol:

beachgal
06-25-2004, 03:01 PM
Hi, all!

Karen, you are totally in my prayers. I am sure it will be nothing, but prayer never hurts, right? I hope that it doesn't hurt at all. Please let us know how it goes! :grouphug: I was looking at an old post this morning and remembering about Ellis' sister Sarah and her lumps. Remember how well that turned out? I'm sure you'll be just as good. :)

Jodi, that evening sounds divine! GOOD for you! :goodvibes: Isn't it nice to love your body enough to pamper it with things that don't hurt it? :dance: You totally cracked me up with your version of Ellis. I was wondering where she got that eggplant trenchcoat! :lol:

Whomever asked, aubergine is French for eggplant. Apparently the Brits also call it that. Clovey, how do you pronounce it? And what was that other veg you spoke about last week...I remember my Scottish friend speaking about it and saying it was like limp zucchini...hmmm....:chin:

Ruth, thanks for the coffee. Just what I need right now! I'm away from my desk and miss my water! wah! ;)

Sue, so glad you're liking it here! Your dinner sounds fantastic!

Peggy, so glad you are up and about! I totally agree about the starvation mode idea. I bet you'll watch the pounds fall off now that you are eating again! Your body will also be working overtime using those calories to help heal you!

Not too much going on here. The sugar cravings are still around, but much less. Had a lovely taco salad for lunch with refried beans. I never make them that way at home, but ate in the cafeteria here at school with a friend. That was different, and nice. Ended up eating with a couple other girls, all of whom go to the gym here at school. We had a great conversation about working out, what to do, what not to do and our fears of looking like fools. It was such a wonderful conversation, especially since I didn't feel like a fat idiot...I felt like a strong woman who is taking good care of her body! *happy tears* It is so nice to be at this place in my life!!!

Tonight, we'll go out to eat. I have to be at school all weekend for our first summer registration. Not only is it physically demanding (you have to be cheerful and perky and "on" from 9:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. with no breaks!), but there is food all day and night long...cakes, cookies, candy. Ugh! I am going to do my best to keep my sanity and actually eat good food. Please send up a prayer or two for me. I'm going to need it! I'm not tempted to eat off plan, but I am afraid of being hungry and what that might do!

Hope everyone has a wonderful Friday and great weekend! Karen, keep us posted, 'kay? :goodvibes:

Barb0522
06-25-2004, 03:52 PM
Speaking of snacks, I have an upgrade scheduled at work tomorrow and have to be here from at least 8 PM to midnight or so. Lots longer if we have to back out. Anyway, the upgrade manager called me in to find out what snacks she should provide. Normally she brings all sorts of salty snacks and cookies. This time I asked her to bring fruit and veggies. I might bring some homemade dip in case her's is not OP. And she'll have Diet Coke and water for us too. Much healthier than the last upgrade! I don't normally eat after 8 but sometimes I find I need a snack if I'm going to be working all night. :)

beachgal
06-25-2004, 04:25 PM
Barb, good for you, and bless your coworker for being so supportive!

I just found out that we are having chicken caesar salad tomorrow and I can get mine without dressing. I'll just bring some of my own dressing with me. At least that's one meal covered. Dinner is a buffet, so I just have to find something to eat there and then avoid the desert buffet of delights. They have fruit at snack, so I'll have an apple and a water. I'll bring a cheese stick and some nuts and maybe a sugar free jell-o and we'll see how it goes.

Barb, I hope the upgrade goes well and that you get home at a reasonable time. Can you come in late on Monday to make up for the time?

Barb0522
06-25-2004, 04:52 PM
We have to have coverage here from 8-5 during the week. Sometimes it can be pretty hectic the Monday after an upgrade so I don't think I can come in late. This really won't be too much worse than a normal weekend. Most weekends I work from 11 - 2 or 3. It is just a little worse because I am not working from home like I normally do for night/weekend work but it is safer to come to the office for an upgrade. You never know when VPN will go down. Also my son will still be awake and it isn't always easy to be able to concentrate when he wants attention.

Kiko
06-25-2004, 05:01 PM
Hey chicks-

Home safe and sound- a bit sore, but other than that it was fine. DH went in with me and held my hand the whole time. I will have results no later that Wednesday- until then, I am not going to worry- I just don't feel that anything is really wrong. I will catch up on any posts later, I am going to have a glass of wine, read People and take a nap. (DD is spending the night at "Gammy's" house.

:) Thank you so much for your kind words and support!!!! :)

Mamacita
06-25-2004, 05:50 PM
Afternoon, Chicks~~

The modem is playing with me again...torture is more like it. Arrgh!! :censored: So, was unable to post this morning.

Hope you all had a great day. Loved the image of alien eggplant skulking around with tabloids tucked under its arm. :lol3:

Going shopping tonight. Want to really get back on program this coming week. Hubby is going to "throw a wobbly" when he sees my list. Heaven forbid I should get fresh veggies AND cottage cheese in the same week! OMG!! :fr:

This Sunday is handspinners guild meeting. Got a nice little check from my dear Uncle Justin (he's almost 90) for my birthday, so I feel obligated to buy something fibery with it! :D Maybe some luscious kid mohair locks to finish the yarn for my winter scarf? Or perhaps a couple pounds of soft, fuzzy finn sheep wool? The possibilities are endless. Ahhh~~

Ok, I'm going to short out the keyboard here with my drooly imaginings.

Hope you all had a wonderful day. If I'm unable to get on in the morning, have a great weekend!

Mamacita
(who really IS going to start on those socks this weekend)