06-24-2004, 08:48 PM
I served this with Spinach Stuffed Chicken. It made a great meal. :p
1 garlic clove, minced
Pinch crushed red pepper flakes
2 tbls olive oil
1 large bunch fresh broccoli, cut into florets (3 1/2 cups)
1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon salt, opt.
In a large skillet, saute garlic and papper in oil. Add broccoli and toss to coat; Saute for 8 minutes or until tender-crisp. Sprinkle with salt. 6 servings.
w/o salt: 60 cal 19mg sodium 0 chol 4gm carbs 2gm protien 5gm fat
08-11-2004, 09:25 PM
This recipe has lots of promise. The broccoli texture was great. But be careful not to overdue the red pepper flakes, I put in a BIG pinch cause we like spicy. This is one of the cases where more spice is not a good thing, it overpowers everything.
a broad abroad
01-02-2005, 06:24 PM
Here's a close variation:
Chopped Broccoli Piccata Makes 4 servings
Many people (grown-ups included) will eat the florets off a broccoli spear, leaving the nutritious stems behind. Here’s a recipe that should encourage diners to eat the whole thing (well, they won’t actually have a choice).
* If the pungent flavors of arugula are not to your liking, you can use 1/3 cup of chopped fresh basil or parsley instead.
1 large bunch broccoli (about 1-3/4 pounds), separated into spears
1/2 cup water
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon olive oil
5 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1-1/2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups arugula, shredded
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1. Trim off just the tough bottoms of each spear. Peel the stalks. Very coarsely chop both the stalks and the florets.
2. In a large nonstick skillet, heat the water and oil over low heat. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the garlic is tender, about 2 minutes.
3. Add the broccoli, lemon zest, and salt, and cook, stirring frequently, until the broccoli is tender but not mushy, about 5 minutes.
4. Stir in the arugula and lemon juice, and cook until the arugula has wilted, about 1 minute.
Nutrition Information (per serving)
calories 99 • total fat 5.2g (saturated 0.7g) • cholesterol 0mg • dietary fiber 6g • carbohydrate 12g • protein 6g • sodium 340mg • Good source of: beta carotene, fiber, folate, indoles, potassium, riboflavin, sulforaphane, thiamin, vitamin B6, vitamin C, vitamin E