Exercise! - Review: Sports Bras

View Full Version : Review: Sports Bras

MichelleRae
06-24-2004, 09:58 AM
Finding the Right Sports Bra
By Lisa Sorrentino for about.com

How to better the odds of finding the right style for you

What's the big deal about the sports bra? Well, I'm not sure if all the Brandi Chastain hype was necessary, but there's something to be said for calling attention to this garment.
Finding the right sports bra is a serious decision. It's just as important as wearing the right running shoes. Let's face it – you need the right style to feel comfortable and stay motivated.
If you don't take this decision seriously, chances are you'll end up wasting a lot of money with the trial and error approach (and a lot of time for that matter). How many sports bras have you bought over the years that get used once, maybe twice, only to get lost in the back of the drawer? It's time to seriously think about this decision and, consequently, save some time and money.

One thing you have to do is shop at the right place.
You also have to know yourself - the right sports bra for you is primarily based on your body structure and, secondarily, on your personal preferences.
This is a very personal garment. We all aren't 34B's. We all don't love underwires. Some of us insist on no-bounce support while some of us can care less about it.
Here's the point – the wider the selection you're shopping from, the better your chances of finding what's right for you.
Once you've found that source with a wide variety, make sure that someone connected to the source really knows something about the sports bra. Then, it's a matter of setting your priorities.
Just like any relationship, this sports bra is not going to be perfect. So, decide, what's most important to you – Added structure for no-bounce support? All day wear ability? Separation with support? Easy on/off capability? Of course, these are just a few possibilities. Pick one or two must have's and go from there.
The rest of this decision should be based on your body structure and the amount of vertical movement in your chosen activity.

Find the Right Sports Bra

Recommended design types and features for general body structures
Are you large-breasted but narrow-chested? Trouble finding a good fitting sports bra because of your long torso? We all come in different shapes and sizes. Believe me, this really matters when it comes to choosing the right sports bra. But, let me tell you what I've found to work best in general.
First, it's important to understand the two general types of sports bras. There are the original pullover or compression styles and the separating encapsulation styles. I bet most of you have at least one pullover type somewhere in your drawer. You know, this is the one that looks like two jock straps sewn together (that's because the first sports bra was just that!).
Assuming your number one priority is no-bounce support, pullover type sports bras tend to work best for women with A and B cup sizes. This is because the style uses compression or flattening of the chest to provide no-bounce support. Compressive support doesn't work too well if the breasts are larger than a B cup size. On the other hand, if you are a C cup or larger, and engage in activities that don't involve a lot of vertical movement, then a compression style might do just fine in the area of no-bounce support. You would just have to deal with the uni-boob look and you may have a rough time getting the garment on and off.
With an encapsulation style, C cup and up sized women have a better chance of getting no-bounce support in activities with medium-high levels of vertical movement because the breasts are managed separately. So, an added benefit to the encapsulation style is you don't have to give up contour. Typically, an encapsulation style has adjustable back clasps and shoulder straps for easier on/off capability as well.
So, let's give this a try. What would you recommend for this woman? She's D-cup sized with a narrow rib cage and a long torso. She likes to run (an activity with lots of vertical movement) but hates to bounce.
That's right – recommend a style that supports and shapes her bust line and offers an adjustable band and adjustable shoulder straps (an encapsulation style, not a pullover style). Additionally, I'd tell her to look for an encapsulation style in a non-stretch fabric for a higher rating of no-bounce support or "Restricted Vertical Movement" ( I call this the bra's RVM™ rating).
Now, you can help yourself make the right choice. Consider your body structure, the amount of vertical movement in your chosen activities and your priorities. Lots of times, there won't be one solution that addresses everything you've taken into consideration. In this instance, wear a different sports bra for the activities that vary in amounts of vertical movement.

How to avoid problems that may occur with a poor-fitting sports bra

If you don't go for fit (instead of fashion) when buying a sports bra, some physical problems may occur. Chafing, sore breasts, sagging and a sore shoulder/neck area are just some of the physical problems that have been tied to poor fitting sports bras. I'm not sure if I believe poor fitting sports bras cause sagging, but it's been argued. Anyway, here are some reasons why these problems may occur and what to do about them.
• Wrong Size
Learn and accept your size. Taking your measurements is a start. The majority of the problems with poor fitting bras are about wearing the wrong size. Accept yourself – If you've always wanted to be a C cup, but you measure out a B (or vice versa), get the B size.
Don't buy the size you wish you were.
Take note, sports bra manufacturer's didn't exactly huddle and say, "OK, let's standardize a sizing chart for these things!" This means you may not buy the same size in one style as you might in another.
• Wrong Style
The right style depends on your chosen activities, body structure and personal preferences. Think about the amount of vertical movement you will be experiencing in your chosen activities. For example, running is thought of as an activity associated with a lot of vertical movement. Now, consider your body structure – what cup size are you, how does that relate to your rib cage measurement, how long (or short) is your torso. Finally, what's most important to you? While running, do you namely want no-bounce support? Wicking capability? Pick one or two must have's and go from there. The solution sometimes is a different style for different activities.
• Dead Bra
Yes, there is a life to this garment. The fabric eventually loses its functionality – this means the fit then changes. If you hand wash and line dry your sports bra instead of machine handle, it will last about twice as long. On average, a machine-handled sports bra will last about six months.
• Sensitive Skin
Some of you chafe no matter what the style or the fabric you're wearing. You've tried everything without relief. Folks who can identify with this dilemma probably have sensitive skin that tends to react to sweat and friction. In these instances, I recommend using Vaseline, or, better yet, a fabric-friendly product like Bodyglide between you and your sports bra.

How to get the most of out of your sports bra investment

Know When To Fold 'em, Know When To Hold 'em
And know when to walk away from your sports bra. There is a life to every one of these garments. You'll know it's at the end of its rope when it loses its ability to restrict vertical movement. Or, it just might not seem to fit right or be as comfortable anymore. Any signs of pilling or fabric breakdown are your cue to replace it.

Forever Yours
Well, based on the fact that there is an end to the life of any sports bra, it won't really last forever. But, there are a couple of things you can do to make it last longer. First, stick to a fabric care that really does cares about the fabric – one is Forever New Fabric Care. It's biodegradable and gentle with the fibers.
Second, please don't put your sports bra in the dryer. All that hot air breaks down those technical fibers that make you love the bra so much. And, if you can, it would really appreciate a hand washing as well.

Improve its RVM score
Those of you who have what's called an encapsulation style sports bra (not a pullover style) can improve its ability to "restrict vertical movement" (I call this the bra's RVM score). You can do this right off the bat. A sports bra should fit snugly, so if your style allows adjustments, wear the band as tight as possible without constricting breathing to get the most support. The band is the piece that goes around your ribcage. Tightening the shoulder straps helps too, but it's the band that can really make a difference.

For this review, I targeted encapsulation style sports bras because active women with C and larger cup sizes should avoid those pullover types.
An encapsulation style sports bra – one that separates and supports the breasts - is generally more supportive and easier to get on and off for larger-breasted women.
The three encapsulation styles below performed extremely well on ability to restrict vertical movement in high intensity activities like running. I describe the standout features of each style and provide a critique on sizing, comfort and support after a 10K and 5K run.

Shock Absorbers High Exertion 4
Description: This lightweight style separates the breasts without an underwire. Its adjustable shoulder straps are extra-wide and generously padded.The non-absorbent fabric content includes 89% polyester, 5% spandex and 6% nylon.
Bra Critique: This style seems to run a little small. I measure between a 34C and 36D - the 36D fit me best. The thick cushion of the shoulder straps did a great job of preventing any digging in during a run of any distance. The band started getting uncomfortable towards the end of the 10K, but I didn't notice it on the 5K. This style provides wonderful shaping without giving up a thing in support! I love that this style was built to be so strong without any heavy-duty hardware. If you really don't like those underwires but want contour and support, this style is a great find.

Naturally Natori
Description: This cottony style uses an underwire to provide separation and support. The smooth cup design includes an extra sleeve of fabric on the outside of the cups for added support. The fabric content includes 55% cotton, 35% polyester and 10% spandex.
Bra Critique: This great fitting style supports and separates with an underwire that completely surrounds the breasts. The design sort of outlines each breast and holds it in place. The underwires in between the breasts tend to rest away from the chest even when wearing the right size – this didn't seem to make a difference, but it was something I noticed. The Natori got a little heavy on the 10K because of the absorbent fabric. The soft cottony cup is smooth and seam-free, making this style one of the most comfortable sports bras I've ever worn. The style seems true to size – the 34C fit me best. If you don't mind going without a wicking fabric and don't have a tendency to chafe, this style offers exceptional comfort.

DK Quick Dry Underwire
Description: This lightweight style uses an underwire on the outside of the cup to provide a combination of separation and support in a non-absorbent fabric. The fabric content includes 93% Tactel® nylon and 7% Lycra®.
Bra Critique: Even though I measure between a 34C and 36D, I liked the 34D fit better. The 34C worked too, but I liked how the D cup gave more coverage and a little more control. The 34 definitely fit best. This style gave an excellent all-around performance. A form-fitting design, wicking capability, combined comfort and support all in one! The fabric is slick and smooth so my tee shirt didn't look like it was glued to the bra when I moved. What I liked best about this style was the fact that the underwire is on the outside (so, I never felt its presence on either run), the fabric is extremely comfortable and I didn't feel like the bra "gained weight" after the 10K.

All information contained in this article was obtained from about.com

I hope that you ladies find this information helpful!

funniegrrl
06-24-2004, 10:18 AM
That is a great article.

Just for the record ...

Two really great places to buy sports bras are: www.Junonia.com (for those of us in the plus size group) and www.title9sports.com (for "regular" as well as some plus sizes). The reason I like these sites is that not only do they have a wide selection, but the rate each bra according to the amount of control they offer.

Having said that, I love love love my "Woman Comfort Strap Support Top" ... which I bought through Just My Size: http://www.justmysize.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=6310&prmenbr=2701&cgrfnbr=1605587642&V=A . Title9 and Junonia may carry this particular bra as well, I just spotted it on Just My Size first!

SeekInnerThinChick
06-24-2004, 12:38 PM
Thanks, Michelle, that was really helpful. Just one ?:
Well, I'm not sure if all the Brandi Chastain hype was necessary...
Who is Brandi Chastain?

MichelleRae
06-24-2004, 01:01 PM
lol Brandi Chastain is the american soccer player who ripped off her top after winning the womens world cup soccer game. They played that clip of her running around in her sports bra for weeks afterwards.

SeekInnerThinChick
06-24-2004, 01:08 PM
Ah, that explains it. I don't follow soccer. I'm currently in purgatory with the Mariners. *sigh*

Is there a chain of some sort that carries the encapsulation type bra? I've been in various sports shops, and all they seem to have is the Champion, which doesn't work for me at all. And Title 9 is way down in Berkeley. I usually have to try on a lot of stuff before I find something that works, so mail order is really awkward. Currently I'm in a Lane Bryant, the cotton underwire one, but that's not designed for sports.

funniegrrl
06-24-2004, 01:28 PM
Champion makes all sorts of bras, and the one I linked to has more separation than the typical sports bra. So I'm wondering if you've tried that particular one? While there is no underwire, and the bra is very snug, I don't ever feel the girls are being mooshed together in one uniboob! Still, there aren't completely separate cups ...

You might try Googling or Yahooing the particular brands/styles mentioned in the article and see if you come up with anything ...

It's true, when you have to try things on to get the right style/fit, mail order is a pain. But, sometimes it's the only reasonable solution, even if you have to order a whole bunch of things in various sizes and send 'em all (but one) back.

SeekInnerThinChick
06-24-2004, 01:35 PM
I'd be happy to try a different type of Champion, but the shops I've been in don't seem to carry anything except the pullover-type "squish" bra. I live in Portland, Oregon, home of Nike, and I suppose their style influences everything around here. There's a big running culture, and those girls tend to be pretty flat as well as thin, so I suppose the "squisher" works well for them. I have yet to see the encapsulation type anywhere here. I also get a lot of skepticism and incredulity-- the salespeople can't seem to wrap their minds around the idea that bigger women exercise. A lot.

MichelleRae
06-24-2004, 02:17 PM
LOL I need to run and see what brand mine are I'll go do that now~

Ok I have Lilyette, which I absolutely love these bras!! They provide such wonderful support while exercising so I'm not getting smacked in the face with "the girls" while I'm jumpin all over the place LOL I believe I got mine at walmart and didn't pay more than 15 a piece for them, also I do notice that they keep me dry and comfortable while I workout, oh and one more thing, they have a 4 clasp hooks in the back and slightly padded straps very comfortable.

Michelle

JoJo128
06-25-2004, 09:58 AM
Michelle, do you think this thread should be a sticky? I think it would be helpful to keep around at least for awhile.

JoAnn

MichelleRae
06-25-2004, 10:02 AM
Ok I'll sticky it!

equestrienne
06-29-2004, 12:42 AM
With a regular schedule of horseback riding, I find that I wear out my sports bras in about six months and I am constantly buying them. I can usually tell if I have purchased a good one when I am working on sitting trot with my horse - it's the ultimate test of a rider's sports bra! Not good enough, I get hit in the CHIN. I am a C cup and I despise the uni-boob look and feel, so I've been purchasing two types of Champion bras, one underwire and one soft/compression separated cup. The underwires are the best and are not uncomfortable at all, whether I am in the middle of an intense dressage lesson or working in the barn moving hay and manure. I am almost due for a new one...

MichelleRae
06-29-2004, 11:55 AM
OMG Equestrienne, your siggy got me singing "I like big butts and I can not lie...." lmao I haven't heard that song since Junior High!!

gaitingal
02-02-2005, 04:47 PM
Personally, I had a breast reduction. Before that I used a minimizer wire bra plus a sports bra to keep from bouncing. It worked great but now that I ride gaited horses, I don't need one. Well, if I got going and jogged some, then I would use that combo again.

DebbieJRT
02-04-2005, 07:52 AM
I bought an Enell sports bra. So far, with my novice jogging, I've been happy with it. Although with my weight loss, I might have to buy a smaller size already (not that I'm complaining :) ). They're not cheap, but I found the best price at http://store.yahoo.com/breakoutbras/index.html.

stef
02-15-2005, 07:22 AM
For lots of info, and purchasing in both the UK and US try www.lessbounce.com They are a wonderful on-line heaven of affordable, good sized, comfortable sports bras.

I have a heap of wonderful Panache High Impact sports bras that are perfect for my 40F chest to go kickboxing in!! I think I can even get a chest protector, although it may stop a size smaller than me!!

I used to use a sports bra plus a minimiser (or crop top one size too small). But as an instructor I always felt that there should be someone out there with a real solution. These guys are it!

Please have a look at the site - and yes I am evangelical about it. It has made a HUGE difference to the quality of exercise sessions I can now do. The comfort of wear and ease of purhcase are just wonderful!

michellejy
02-15-2005, 09:50 AM
I wear a G cup (wow, that is embarassing to actually type), so it's impossible for me to find anything off the rack at all. I ended up ordering a Lunaire Underwire Sports Bra, and it was really one of the most comfortable bras of any type I've ever worn. Plus it actually worked! Most bras leave me bouncing to the point of pain. I ended up buying a DDD size since they don't go up to G, but I just increased the band size. Unfortunately, the wire just decided it would be fun to escape and stab me in the side so now I'm without a sports bra at the moment. (I should have bought more at the time, but I didn't expect it to actually fit when I bought it online. You know how that goes.)

teapotdynamo
03-12-2005, 04:52 PM
I just got a new sports bra and had to come sing its supportive praises. Wow, is it sturdy, and I'm shocked by how good it feels. I told my husband that the gel straps make it feel like it's "caressing my shoulders." OK, he rolled his eyes, too, :lol: but it is fantastic. It's the Double Dry Strap Underwire (http://www.championcatalog.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=465925&prmenbr=631&cgrfnbr=836813&V=A) from Champion (I'm a 42C, if that info helps), and it's apparently won some awards. I was a little wary of the underwire, because I was afraid it would dig, but I didn't even feel it. The fabric is also kinda cool -- feels a little space age, but after my workout today, my bra was still dry even though the rest of me wasn't.

I highly recommend it, much more than the other Champion bra (http://www.championcatalog.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=76713&prmenbr=631&cgrfnbr=836809&V=A) I have had for a while, which didn't give as much support as I'd have liked. I only wish the new one came in larger sizes (goes up to 42D) so *everyone* could feel the boobie love.

greenstreet
03-17-2005, 10:07 AM
I really hate spending a lot of money on sports bras but I found myself avoiding certain activities because I didn't have an appropriate one. But, I bought one from Champion- for larger busts (34C, not huge but not "cute little workout gear size") and it's amazing. It wasn't cheam @$46 but I'd buy another one in a heart beat

autumnah
03-28-2005, 05:27 PM
I bought a Nike sportsbra at Sport's Authority and it seems to work great. I'm a 36D and have always had problems finding a SB that actually worked...

AnnieRN
05-19-2005, 08:10 PM
On the subject of bras. Oprah's supposed to be having a show on Friday, 5/20/05, on how to correctly choose the right bra. Let me tell ya, I'm there. I can't, for the life of me find a bra that actually fits like it's supposed to.

ellenuw
07-24-2005, 07:50 AM
I've just started to wear a Brooks Pro-fit for running. I cannot tell you how great it is! For the first time I can run 10 miles and not be sore after - not just my breasts, but my nipples, too (oh, TMI?). It also has removeable pads for "nipple modesty", which I love. I cannot recommend it enough. It retails for about $40, but worth it. It was also rated as one of the top 9 running bras in the August Runner's World magazine. (I am a 38C).

curlylocks
03-12-2006, 08:24 AM
Ive found an awesome bra... tho not a sports bra per say.. but check the new line of hanes her way bra's.. they have a new style with a padded underwire.. its the first time ever a bra didnt pinch or hurt me... and they are really on the low end of cost.. @10.00 and u can find them at target

friendsforfitness
04-14-2006, 10:11 AM
I also have the Enell bra, and can't say enough good things about it. It's a bittersweet moment now that it may be getting too big for me.

Jen415
04-14-2006, 10:26 AM
Hey girl! I just noticed you are one pound away from your April 13 goal! congrats!

friendsforfitness
04-14-2006, 10:44 AM
Awww thanks! I didn't even realize until today when I finally got a minute to update my siggy. LOL! I'm off work today and finally getting a chance to breathe while Gage is napping. He was a moody little monster this morning! LOL!

Lisa

eadavenp
05-04-2006, 09:58 PM
I just got the most amazing sports bra. I wear a 34 DDD and i managed to fit into a large (which should fit up to a 36 d or so) of an underarmour heat gear sports bra. It was pricey (about 40.00) but it feels awesome, very supportive, and not an ugly uniboob maker. It actually keeps my boobs up where they belong instead of flopping down.

chantelle_zzz
08-08-2006, 12:29 AM
I have a Lunaire sports bra (style 11111 1245) and I love it. I got it from a specialty shop so it was pricy but so worth it. I am a 40D and those cheep ones just do not do the trick for me. I recomend this one for anyone who is having a hard time finding one they like.

Stevi-rocks
08-08-2006, 03:23 AM
Where was this thread when I was shopping my lil heart out!! J/k. I'm a very difficult fit, 33" band and F cup, after trying on several different types and brands at the specialty shop I bought my running shoes, the sales rep special ordered a Enell Style NL100 in size 2. The girls go NO WHERE!!! And they do not touch each other (I sooo hate that). Kinda pricy but worth every dime.

andreaphilip3
08-11-2006, 07:55 PM
i like the hanes bestform ones w the cups built in

ktandthesmurfs
08-25-2006, 01:28 AM
I hate sports bra companies.

I am a 36E and finding my only sports bra took 5 days of 3 hour shopping! I have never felt so disfigured in my life. lol

rubenesque
10-03-2006, 12:20 AM
I'd be happy to try a different type of Champion, but the shops I've been in don't seem to carry anything except the pullover-type "squish" bra. I live in Portland, Oregon, home of Nike, and I suppose their style influences everything around here. There's a big running culture, and those girls tend to be pretty flat as well as thin, so I suppose the "squisher" works well for them. I have yet to see the encapsulation type anywhere here. I also get a lot of skepticism and incredulity-- the salespeople can't seem to wrap their minds around the idea that bigger women exercise. A lot.

Hi,

Title 9 has had a store in Portland for maybe a year or so now. I highly recommend you go down there and check it out -- I pretty much won't shop for bras anywhere else now. It's on NW Kearney at 14th, right near REI.

Tisha___
10-03-2006, 12:21 PM
Does anyone have any ideas for me? I'm a 40H, so I'm having a really hard time finding a sports bra. Even the Enell ones only go up to a DDD.

Thanks.

MariaMaria
10-05-2006, 01:35 AM
Tisha, Enell can custom-make their bra (up to a 60" bust measurement) for people who aren't in the range of their off-the-shelf sizes. Here's the link: http://www.enell.com/custom.html. (I haven't tried this service, so this is not a personal recommendation.)

If you do go this route, could you please report back?

KnitALisa
10-28-2006, 11:26 PM
I just bought a Fiona High Impact Bra today in a 40 DD. I actually wear a DDD, but this fits great. It is SO AWESOME and super comfy. It is a uniboob bra, but I swear to the Boobie Goddess, I bounced up and down, did jumping jacks, ran in place, etc, and there was no painful jigglage! No jigglage at all, and for big boobies like mine, that's somewhat of an accomplishment! It was about $40, but worth every single penny. A++++.

Sheila53
12-28-2006, 11:59 PM
Thanks for the tip about the Title 9 store! We went to REI today in Portland, and I remembered that the Title 9 store was nearby. We found it, and the salesperson was very helpful. I'm looking forward to trying out my new sports bra on Saturday--the days of soggy bras are over!

babygrant
01-18-2007, 09:26 AM
My husband bought me two factory defect Enell bra's off ebay and I have never ever ever been so happy with a bra before! These bra's are incredible. I'm a 36DDD and there is no bounce, no jiggle. It's amazing! As soon as I put the bra on, I got an instant 4" lift, no joke. :D Can't say enough about these bra's!

BTW, the factory defect bra's had a tiny tiny snag in each of them that I could barely even see and I got a good deal!

followthebeat
02-26-2007, 01:25 AM
I'm a 38D and found that Victoria's Secret Shock Absorber sports bras work well for me. I don't run, but I ride a stationary bike, and it does the job for that.

trekkiegirl
02-26-2007, 10:08 AM
I got the factory-defect Enells off eBay, too. Size 3 based on my measurements. (The defects were a couple of small snags each and there is a small pen mark on one of them but the defects themselves didn't bother me.)
I was disappointed with it. I tried it on and kept it on for about 90 minutes. Yes, it took a lot of maneuvering to get into and settle myself in. I kept it on as long as I did thinking I just needed to get used to it but it was so tight that the bottom band dug into my skin and the whole thing made me feel so uncomfortable that I was actually feeling nauseous and light-headed. I felt like my outsides were squooshing down upon my insides. Not so great on the back either. I also gave it the bounce test, jumped around and jogged...and the girls did bounce. Granted, it was less and in a restricted space but from the reviews I had hoped for better.

djs06
03-15-2007, 11:52 AM
I'm a 42 or 44 ddd.... and the enell, while it's better than the ones I've already tried, still dosen't work so well for me. I still bounce, it makes my back so itchy, and it just isn't really that comfortable. Sigh.

BfL_Cat
05-06-2007, 08:27 PM
I don't think anyone has mentioned the Champion Action Shape bra - I love it! I think the largest size is a 42-44 D/DD. It provides a lot of support and compresses just enough.

You can find it for about $18 at Champion outlets, but it retails for about $38.
Cindy

L144S
10-03-2007, 03:01 PM
I just bought this one http://www.barenecessities.com/Natori-White-Label-Underwire-Sports-Bra_product_NatoriWhiteLabel7234439_,search,.htm and after a few WO, I like it, it is absorbant, no uniboob. I did have to go up a back size becuse there is o give in the band.

I use to do the double bra for ridding, but I think there are much better choices out there now

lewelaine
10-27-2007, 11:40 PM
I own a "frog bra" from title9 and I like it alot. It takes me down to a bust of 92 cm.

SuchAPrettyFace
05-12-2008, 12:58 AM
I got mine at Catherine's the brand says IS, the tag says Instant Shaping. They zip up the front & I love em!

snapless
06-09-2008, 05:35 AM
The best that I've found is the Natori Sport, you can see an image of it at the Natori website, although you can't order it there as they don't even sell the bra thru their site, just a picture showing the difference between it and the standard uniboob squashsport bras.

I just checked Nordstrom's and Amazon and the largest it comes in is a 40DDD/E, but a little suggestion here:

If you have not been professionally fitted for a bra, do so. I've been wearing 38B (uncomfortably I might add) for a long time and was fitted a month ago...turns out I'm a 36D. The new bras have virtually eliminated back pain I was having, my bra straps no longer slip off my shoulders all the time and the back strap no longer rides high up on my back. In addition it makes me LOOK better.

Good luck!

MariaMaria
04-06-2009, 03:07 AM
Sports bra review: Champion Powerback underwire

Pros: Good support. Good wicking. Racerback (hard to find in my size range).
Cons: Straps don't adjust enough (I'm of average height, and they don't go short enough for me). Ridiculously difficult to get into.

I wear around a 34F/32FF (narrow back, big breasts) and I'm a runner.

dancerindenver
06-02-2009, 01:37 PM
Just bought two of the Champion Triple Threat underwire sports bras from Title Nine and I love them for running. I ordered them online in my usual bra size (36C). They fit perfectly and don't get soggy when I run. A little price at $40 each but well worth it after tons of other failed tries : )

Michelle1210
06-20-2009, 07:27 PM
I found one called "NATORI" it has been the best work out bra I have ever invested in. it cost me 48.00, and to find one in my size it was a real gem.
I wear a 40DD and it really keeps me snug, and if you loose weight you can adjust it, I tried a adaias one and the fabric was so flimsy.

I had found it at Dillards. I hope they continue there products as I only found one.

L144S
06-21-2009, 08:23 AM
The Natori is available online...I have one too, not much give in the back so great for cardio but tough for golf and movement activities.

toastedsmoke
07-28-2009, 10:43 PM
Hello, I was just wondering if any super big-breasted ladies here had any more suggestions about sports bra. I'd heard about Enell months ago and tried them (not the custom kind to be fair) and that was not at all successful. I wear a 42J bra regularly and I have some fabulous normal bras but have been having issues finding sports bras. I'm trying to get into running because in every good dream I have I'm running but everytime I want to go, there's so little incentive because I have to wear 4 (yes count them, 4) bras in order to have any staying power. I wear one regular bra (to control the boobs so they can fit into the next step), then 2 DDD sports bras with separate support, then one compressor XXL bra to go over the whole thing, and then I wear a t-shirt on top. And that's just to get some semblance of control over the bounce (because without this, I'm bounced into breathless agony within a minute). It's ridiculous and sometimes I just don't feel like dealing with all those bras and it gives me an excuse not to go. I've checked some of the earlier suggestions and most go up to G which doesn't work too well; anything from an H should be fine, I can manage a 44H for example. So if there are any H or above ladies, I'm just wondering what you do/use or how you cope, I guess...

W5fatgirlslim
10-04-2009, 04:34 PM
I am a UK 36 G/GG (think US sizes are different). I have a Shock Absorber sports bra which is wonderful - not underwired (hooray!) - but still keeps them up, separate and secure! Only problem is I now need a smaller one!

:bubbles:

beachgal
10-05-2009, 01:12 PM
I have the first bra mentioned in the OP (the Shock Absorber). I bought mine (new) off of E-bay, as I couldn't afford the full price. I followed the directions on the Shock Absorber website to measure for my size, since there isn't a store in my area that carries them and could measure me.

I ordered the size my measurements indicated, and it's ridiculously large on me. I usually wear a 36 or 38 DD. This one is a 36F. The cups are large, but the band size is HUGE!!! It's like wearing a size 40. I have the straps reduced to their absolute shortest length, and they are still way too large. I have the band set to it's smallest size, and it's not even snug against my skin. The cost is way too high for me to afford purchasing another, and since I bought it from an E-bay seller, I couldn't return it for an exchange.

Anyways, I just wanted to put in my $0.02 and say that, in my experience, these bras do NOT run small at all. They seem to run very large, at least in terms of band size. My measurements, taken exactly according to the instructions on the Shock Absorber website, showed that the size I ordered should have been almost too tight for me, but it's actually way too big. So I'd recommend only buying this product if you can try it on first and get measured by someone who deals in these bras and can help you find the right fit. :)

Marjolein
12-29-2009, 03:07 PM
Through a colleague of mine I came to Bravissimo. You can find them on the internet.
They sell bras and sports Bras in sizes up to, I think, K cup.
I'm a 38FF/G and I found a perfect one there, I love it!

Marjolein

ennay
07-25-2010, 10:39 PM
My new favorite sportsbra....

Anita Extreme Control Bra model# 5527 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00284B6Q8/ref=oss_product)
I have NEVER had a bra hold me this still. I am a 32DD and to find that ACTUAL combo in a good sportsbra is amazing.

buttons77
08-20-2010, 03:02 PM
I swear by the Enell....I feel like I don't have my 38GGs.....NEVER have I been able to say that. I think it's all about your shape and what you do for working out....

Paramedic
09-09-2010, 11:31 PM
I'm thinking about getting an Enell, as my previous sports bra doesn't really do much or me anymore, save cause me a fair amount of discomfort.

Anyone else have any good experiences with the Enell sports bra?

ennay
09-10-2010, 01:06 AM
Paramedic - Enells do not fit me or support me at ALL. Because they have no strap length adjustment if you are at all short through the upper torso they often dont fit. Also if you have an unusual bra size they often dont fit. I am a 32DD and the enell for 32's doesnt even close over the girls and the one that closes is so loose in the band it is less use than my dailywear bra.

Dont buy without trying them on.

djs06
05-25-2011, 12:48 PM
I have to say, I watched this thread for awhile- and I found a GREAT sports bra- the Moving Comfort Maia- a few here recommended it, but I was skeptical, because I just can't seem to keep the girls in place! But this thing is amazing. It has two bras built in so I don't have to hook on two or three bras like I used to. And I got it from an ebay store that literally came to my house within 2 days, free shipping and cheaper, so check ebay first!

The Anita bra recommended above is very good, too!

McMurphy
06-28-2011, 07:42 AM
Has anyone tried Old Navy's "Goga" sports bras? They work pretty well for being a cheaper brand. I'm not tiny and they hold me in well :)

fitmom
07-08-2011, 10:01 AM
IDK if this has already been posted but for me the best sports bra on the market - hands down IMO is: Tekgear. They have a racer-back style and hold you in like nobody's business. And as a runner, even though I'm a size 34C I still need the support. They are in the drifit fabric so they keep you cool and dry. Also, they come in the standard black and white but also "fun" colors and patterns so you can wear it alone as well. I love them. :)