General Diet Plans and Questions - Falling Off The Wagon...

View Full Version : Falling Off The Wagon...

aphil
06-23-2004, 10:00 AM
Falling Off The Diet Wagon

by Jonathan Bowden, M. A.

"One of the most discouraging aspects of weight loss are the inevitable slips. Everyone has them. For some people, an occasional slip engenders an all out binge...followed by guilt, self-recrimination, a sense of powerlessness, and a feeling of "What's the use?"

Sound familiar?

I call it "falling off the diet wagon," and if you can change how you think about it, you don't need to be victimized by it anymore.

Let's start by looking at a simple children's game called "Chutes and Ladders." Here is how it works: you use a spinner to advance from space to space toward the winner's spot. Along the way there are ladders-which leapfrog you over a lot of spaces-as well as chutes-which send you back in the opposite direction.

Some kids play this game with a laissez-faire, "whatever" attitude, taking life as it comes with all its ups and downs, pitfalls and triumphs. They learn the wonderful moral of Chutes and Ladders-half the secret of life is just showing up. Keep playing the game, and eventually you will get where you are going.

Some kids, however, get very upset when they land on a chute. They are ready to quit the game, pick up their proverbial marbles and go home. For some reason, they believe that life isn't supposed to have any chutes. When they land on them, they are very disappointed and feel like giving up.

Weight loss is like a huge game of Chutes and Ladders.

In dealing with hundreds of clients over the years, I've discovered that the biggest difference between the winners and the losers in the weight loss war isn't whether or not people have "slips" and go off their program. It's not really a question of "if" they have them, it is a question of "when."

What really makes the difference is how you deal with the slips when they happen.

Her's an example. You have been absolutely wonderful on your plan for three weeks. You've been sticking to your exercise routine and feeling pretty terrific. You go to your best friend's wedding and have a glass of wine. Before you know it, soemone is insisting that you try those delicious little canapes, and before the wedding singer can say "Tanta Elka Cuts The Cake," you've managed to down about 4,000 calories from stuff you wouldn't have been caught dead looking at during the past few weeks...pates, desserts, breads, stuffings, you name it.

Most people think that's where the action stops. Actually, it's where the real action begins.

First, a reality check. Have you done a lot of damage? Not really. You may have put on a pound or two. Big deal. You can knock it off in no time, and go right back to work on yourself.

So what's the problem?

The problem isn't what we did, but what we make it "mean." We tell ourselves that our "transgression" means that we have no willpower, that we will never succeed, that our efforts are in vain.

Let me suggest something more empowering.

Suppose, instead, that we learn to see life's occasional "chutes" as just that-stumbling blocks that everyone hits on their personal path to personal power, nothing to be afraid of and certainly nothing to give a lot of meaning to.

So you had a chute. On your next spin you might hit a ladder.

Most important of all, you can't win the game unless you keep on playing.

And every minute gives you a new chance for another spin. Take it.

And don't look back. :)

*this article was found by 3FC member Silence...I thought you all might enjoy it as much as I did.*

SyracuseNY
06-28-2004, 09:25 AM
APHIL - Thanks for sharing that article! ~Sy~ :)

bburoughs
06-28-2004, 09:42 AM
This is a very good article, Aphil. I am going to print it out and tape it to my file cabinet and closet door! Thanks for posting it!

Samantha2002
09-24-2004, 08:04 AM
Love this story - thought I would bring it to the top again!!!

:) Sam

SyracuseNY
12-10-2004, 10:18 PM
Aphil: It nice that this was brought to the top again as I just re-read it and it makes so much more sense now. I'm up for Chutes and Ladders - and I know it will be a life long game. I'm in for the challenge.

Sy

Star
01-26-2005, 02:43 PM
Aphil -Thanks so much, I needed to read that. It puts a "slip" into it's proper place.

ChickNextDoor
02-17-2005, 05:59 PM
I was actually looking for a little encouragement today. This is just what I needed to hear. Thank you!

LaDean
02-23-2005, 08:28 PM
that is a great article. we have to move forward just like it said. forget yesterday or the other meal or what ever. just allow for and go forward to a new meal or day.. good luck to all. attitude is alot of it.. and changes and choice. Have HOPE and BELIEVE in yourself. this is what i did and i am at goal. LaDean

Dritter79
03-01-2005, 08:27 PM
hey everyone...

i was wondering if anyone has had any success just reducing their calories...if so how many calories were you eating total.
thanks
Danielle

Chklithunder
08-18-2005, 11:54 AM
Grrrrreat Article. Thank You!!!

swingirl
11-28-2005, 10:04 AM
For me in the past dieting was always ALL OR NOTHING. I had to be perfect in my eating and if I had even 1 slip up I hated myself and gave up. Then a couple of months and pounds later I would try again and the same thing would happen. I have never realized this before. That is why this time I feel much different. Yesterday I went over my calorie totals by about 250 BUT.. I'm not giving in. Amazing eh. I also don't hate myself. I am just continuing along my journey.
I am so glad that I found you all at 3FC!! Thanks.

Mina
12-25-2005, 07:09 AM
Oh. So true. So true.:p

sirabe76
01-30-2006, 01:00 PM
That was a great article. .. I think I will put that in my weight loss scrapbook for inspiration... since I fell of the wagon this month. But i am getting back on.

MichelleRae
02-09-2006, 05:12 PM
Wow! I majorly connected with that article! Thanks for sharing with us :)

CandlePrincess
02-22-2006, 01:17 PM
great article! thanks for posting!

BrownEyedJ
06-02-2006, 09:36 PM
Thank you for that article...I think it was just what I needed to kickstart into losing this weight. :D

:hug:

Lisi
06-12-2006, 11:51 AM
Super duper

isenephthys
01-27-2007, 07:39 AM
great article; thanks! i needed that.

StillTryin
08-27-2007, 03:40 PM
You know as long as I have been here and posting in this section I never read that until today! What a perfect day to read it too. It fits me perfect. I think I need to take a step back, evaluate what I am doing and then move full ahead and not worry so much when I have land on a "chute". There will be a "ladder" around the corner.

THANKS APHIL, YOUR GREAT!!!

aphil
08-27-2007, 03:44 PM
Thank you. :hug:

Markstar
09-17-2007, 01:19 PM
Yep, good article and it reflects my opinion as well.

It's okay to have your weak moments, just try to make up for it (like eating less the next few days) and just keep going. In my (limited) experience, those pounds you gained within an evening are much easier to lose than those you had on you hips for years.

phantastica
09-17-2007, 02:08 PM
Wow, yeah, I'm glad I read this. Thanks, Silence and Aphil! Excellent advice.

Shadow Panda
12-26-2007, 07:31 PM
Reading that article has really given me a new perspective about sticking to my fitness goals- not just diets; any goal in general. Thanks for posting this! :thanks:

hafowler
02-23-2008, 11:24 PM
Awesome article! It's especially funny, because Chutes & Ladders was one of my very favorite board games as a kid. *G* Thank you for sharing!

valpal23
07-06-2008, 08:52 PM
oh my gosh this is so perfect -- it's too bad I didnt read it until now. Thank you aphill!

princess4life
07-19-2008, 01:30 AM
thank for that wonderful article...everytime I was having a "bad" day (like today) i would just say to myself "oh might as well continue anything i want all week and start fresh on monday" but now i realize that might cause more damage that what is done! so tomorrow is a NEW day and I will start fresh!

Mom2QJandT
07-20-2008, 02:20 PM
I LOVE this! And I really needed it right now. Not just about weight loss, but about life.

Pieinthesky
07-21-2008, 04:19 AM
thanks for the article - everytime i fall of the wagon i feel so hopeless but thi shas made me feel more postive about getting back on it again - today - day one (again) but thats okay and actually quite exciting!

david brinklely
07-23-2008, 08:48 AM
I can relate to that. Thanks!

erricah
10-20-2008, 09:53 AM
Thank you very much for this article. It is a big help.

Mammy
10-21-2008, 02:38 AM
That was excellent, really puts things into perspective.

tinamae
11-02-2008, 06:59 PM
I really needed that after the weekend that I have had. I am still going to get on the scale tomorrow morning anyway. Face the music and then move on.

kittycat40
11-02-2008, 07:14 PM
Tinamae, thanks for bringing it to the top again. I gave it a first time read and I'm sure to be coming back for more ;)

MrKeith
11-23-2008, 02:36 PM
I have learned that weight loss is all about living and not dieting. That is why I call it a Live-it. I no longer try to cut back on everything, I just try to make the weight loss happen by over all better choices and exercise 4 times a week for an hour. Then when I slip up, it is not a huge deal. I just get back to living the next day.
Overall, I have lost 42 pounds in one year and have no deprivation in my diet.

misspiggy408
12-22-2008, 06:23 PM
"For some people, an occasional slip engenders an all out binge...followed by guilt, self-recrimination, a sense of powerlessness, and a feeling of "What's the use?"

I can relate ... i ask myself "whats the use" right before or right after my binges.

Thanks for sharing :)

kari1980
12-25-2008, 07:38 AM
I tend to have this "all or nothing" attitude which has contributed to my fluctuating weight issues :(

Pixiesue
12-25-2008, 04:56 PM
thank goodness I read this! I have been months on the what the H#(( kick and eating (and drinking ) to excess. I have decided to start again and get back to healthy eating and excercising. I came back here and this is the first post I read! Now I am inspired!

Fungirl28
01-14-2009, 05:47 PM
When I first started, I would get these crazy cravings and I would struggle and when I would slip...I would be depressed for days and use it as an reason to quit altogether. One day I realized that if I kept quitting I would never reach my goals. I had a slip the other day, but I realized that I'm human and moved on for my next meals and exercising. But this time, my weight loss didnt stop. By the next morning, I had lost another 3 lbs.

michelle7
01-15-2009, 04:38 PM
Fantastic article! Thanks for posting it!

fatmad
03-15-2009, 11:22 PM
thanks for this, its a nice pick me up. I have been off plan most of the last week, and did pick up a pound.
I am charged up to get back on plan tomorrow, (actually I stayed on plan today, so I already started) and have been working toward this philosophy since I started coming to 3FC.
But reading this just brings it home, helps me to renew for the coming week.
Thanks aphil

JuliaDH
05-13-2009, 09:20 AM
Thanks for sharing this article. I am glad it is stickied. I wonder what other amazing advise is around here from past years that we have missed! I could probably search for hours. But getting exercise in would probably be a wiser choice! lol

Sweetums
06-14-2009, 04:31 PM
TY great article.

rajagiri1
06-18-2009, 05:49 AM
nice and interesting article.i have asked my friends too to read it.:carrot:

tmac1
08-27-2009, 08:13 AM
oh !this article make me thought about my childhood,it's so funny .how can you do that ,you are really great person

tmac1
08-27-2009, 08:25 AM
great article

tmac1
08-27-2009, 08:25 AM
l never see it before

tmac1
08-27-2009, 08:26 AM
who can find more funny article than it

tmac1
08-27-2009, 08:29 AM
Thanks for sharing this article with us , we got
a lot of imformation on it

tmac1
08-27-2009, 08:30 AM
you would be the greatest person in this earth

tmac1
08-27-2009, 08:32 AM
so many people should read it

TheRightWeigh
09-04-2009, 01:01 AM
encouraging and needed! Thanks! I need a HUGE ladder right about now...

pattyluw
11-10-2009, 09:51 PM
I really enjoyed the article. What a great way to look at the whole diet situation. Thanks for sharing.

Pattyluw

HannahBoo23
12-02-2009, 03:14 PM
Very encouraging..thanks! :)

vanessa761
12-06-2009, 12:52 PM
:carrot: That's fantastic. I should show it to my husband since he is really hard on himself when he falls of the wagon.

bridietogo
12-14-2009, 12:22 PM
Such a powerful moral to that game. The ladders are all the more sweeter when you've worked to earn them.

MiZTaCCen
01-07-2010, 02:35 PM
Love it! Chutes and Ladder's now everytime I fall off the ban wagon i'm gonna think of that. Thanks!

CawScorp
02-16-2010, 10:52 PM
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for this post.....This is just what I needed to read.

Khall
06-07-2010, 12:39 AM
I sure needed to know that I am not alone, falling off this wagon!
This is my second time to do the Ideal Protein Diet. First time I was successful, but I also did not have a job, and avoided a social life at all costs until I was almost to my goal. Unfortunately at that time, I did not have guidelines for the long haul.
Enter a very stressful job, with the boss from "H", and within a year, 20 lbs. were right back.

So now I'm back on this diet, came back to it out of desperation, because even exercising and having personal trainer, was not budging more than a couple pounds off this menopausal stomach of mine!

Since starting two weeks ago, I just cannot seem to find the will to stay on it, and I just don't know why.
I start to do really well, but then give in, when a coworker wants to go for lunch at the local hangout that does nothing for a lo-carb diet.
We both get off work early, and we both donot take any breaks so that we can be out of the building by noon or so.
I usually go straight to the gym, as I live too far out of town to go home, eat, and come back.
If I try to bring lunch with me to work, and eat at my desk, my boss finds something for me to do.
I find salad and IP soup too hard to eat while doing paper work, but I find a shake leaves me too hungry to work out hard.

My trainer at the gym measures me, finds that I've lost a total of 7 lbs, gained two pounds of muscle, and lost almost two inches off my waist in just under two weeks.
My IP counselor, however, has found that I lost 1/2 lb, and my waist is three inches bigger than it is by the standards of my trainer's tape measure!
She was clearly disappointed in me at my first week back to her, and handed me a paper that gave me reasons why I'm not losing faster.

Home is hard too. My husband is naturally skinny and I'm constantly having to cook for him, things that I can't eat on this diet.
It's hard for me, especially on weekends. I blew my diet yet again today.

I cancelled a long awaited night out with friends, because we were going to a pasta restaurant. They are disappointed, and not understanding.
I don't know how to go out and have a social life, and do this diet, but I know that I need to find solutions.
Has anyone had as hard of a time as I've had? I guess I also felt disappointed that my trainer and IP counselor had completely different numbers for me, on my progress.

Thanks just for letting me vent. I know I've just got to get back to it, and stick with it.
:?:

brocola
06-07-2010, 10:03 PM
Khall: Take a deep breath. Maybe this time your life situation is diff, so you need a diet that fits it. Like I know alot of people like Weight Watchers because you can still eat out at restaurants and 'normal' food. Also, when doing IP, you're not supposed to work out. IP is VERY HARD. If you want to stick with it, maybe give yourself mini-goals, rather than the overwhelming number game. And when you're out, eat salads w protein (dressing on side). Or grilled foods. Good luck, and dont be so hard on yourself!!

TXRealtor
06-07-2010, 10:28 PM
I sure needed to know that I am not alone, falling off this wagon!
This is my second time to do the Ideal Protein Diet. First time I was successful, but I also did not have a job, and avoided a social life at all costs until I was almost to my goal. Unfortunately at that time, I did not have guidelines for the long haul.
Enter a very stressful job, with the boss from "H", and within a year, 20 lbs. were right back.

So now I'm back on this diet, came back to it out of desperation, because even exercising and having personal trainer, was not budging more than a couple pounds off this menopausal stomach of mine!

Since starting two weeks ago, I just cannot seem to find the will to stay on it, and I just don't know why.
I start to do really well, but then give in, when a coworker wants to go for lunch at the local hangout that does nothing for a lo-carb diet.
We both get off work early, and we both donot take any breaks so that we can be out of the building by noon or so.
I usually go straight to the gym, as I live too far out of town to go home, eat, and come back.
If I try to bring lunch with me to work, and eat at my desk, my boss finds something for me to do.
I find salad and IP soup too hard to eat while doing paper work, but I find a shake leaves me too hungry to work out hard.

My trainer at the gym measures me, finds that I've lost a total of 7 lbs, gained two pounds of muscle, and lost almost two inches off my waist in just under two weeks.
My IP counselor, however, has found that I lost 1/2 lb, and my waist is three inches bigger than it is by the standards of my trainer's tape measure!
She was clearly disappointed in me at my first week back to her, and handed me a paper that gave me reasons why I'm not losing faster.

Home is hard too. My husband is naturally skinny and I'm constantly having to cook for him, things that I can't eat on this diet.
It's hard for me, especially on weekends. I blew my diet yet again today.

I cancelled a long awaited night out with friends, because we were going to a pasta restaurant. They are disappointed, and not understanding.
I don't know how to go out and have a social life, and do this diet, but I know that I need to find solutions.
Has anyone had as hard of a time as I've had? I guess I also felt disappointed that my trainer and IP counselor had completely different numbers for me, on my progress.

Thanks just for letting me vent. I know I've just got to get back to it, and stick with it.
:?:

Hey Khall,
Forget about your husband's ability to inhale large volumes of food. Mine is the same way and the only thing I got out of thinking how unfair it is was more pounds on me.
Take your lunch to work, close your office door or go to break room/ cafeteria/ your car. Worst comes to shove, tell him he doesn't pay you enough for you to go out to lunch, so you have to bring in left overs from home or a sandwich and it isn't fair for you to have to work during your lunch because you can't go out. I am a manager too but would not dream about interrupting my staff during their break. It is against labor laws!

Khall
06-09-2010, 05:15 PM
You guys are awesome, thanks for much for your replies and your understanding, and for just telling me not to be so hard on myself.
I think it was the counselor, most of all, who made me feel so bad.
In all, since starting at the gym, I've lost 9 lbs, and their measurements are showing progress, where as the IP office, shows such little change, she was openly disappointed in me.

But anyway, I think you are right, with things so different in my life now, maybe it's just time to try something else, like the Weight Watchers on line?
The IP is hard, and there's just so much going on right now.

Thank you again! I hope to get a lot of encouragement, just reading through these posts!

Kukkie84
06-17-2010, 11:38 AM
I definitely needed that article. Went off plan yday... *sigh* Just printed it out and I'm going to keep it handy to refer back to instead of being so hard on myself.

WSN
06-30-2010, 04:48 PM
I'm just seeing this thread now but it is so true and I just went through it. I've been doing great with working out and eating well for several weeks now and losing weight. Then on Sunday I got a bad muscle sprain and couldn't workout on Monday and Tuesday. On top of it I just became stupid and ate horribly, I was just in a lot of pain and went to food for comfort. I weighed myself this morning and actually gained weight for the first time since I started working out. I felt like such a loser and was so disappointed in myself. I almost felt hopeless. But since most of my pain was gone I decided I'm going to go workout, just cardio and no weights for the time being. I worked out hard doing cardio for an hour at fairly intense intervals. Walked away completely drenched in sweat to the point where you could probably wring a bucket full of it out of my t-shirt but felt great. Not only has it seemed to help heal my sprain a little more but I'm just feeling great and motivated again. I lost a few days, no big deal as long as you don't let it derail you permanently.

FattyFatFat
09-02-2010, 06:38 PM
Very interesting read, thanks for putting that up. :-)

joner
09-14-2010, 07:28 AM
Great article.
I would even go on to say that you need those chutes to stay in the game. I really believe that it actually does you some good, both mentally and physically. If you are on a strict diet the body gets used to the low calorie intake and adjusts itself to still store fat. By having at least one free day a week where you pretty much eat what you like, your body doesn't get used to a set calorie intake, stops you going insane:) and keeps you in the game for the long term, which is the most important part of the weight lose plan. I have been using this method for some time now and has worked really well for me. Go the chutes (but only a couple of times a week!)

Jacqueline Nauvall
11-04-2010, 10:38 PM
I find that creating positive affirmations on note cards really helps me stay motivated. When you fall off the wagon, you need to keep your positive mental attitude and just start over.

If you have never used positive affirmations before, they are pretty simple. You have a goal in mind. You know the steps you need to get there. You write positive affirmations about the things you are doing (or want to be doing) to reach your goals.

For example, if you plan to lose 20 pounds. You make baby steps to get you there, like eating an extra serving of vegetables every day, or walking for 1 hour each day. You can think of several. Then you positive affirmations will look something like this:
I love walking for an hour every day. It makes me feel energized.
I eat an extra serving of vegetables every day and it's helping me lose weight.

Don't make it too complicated. Just make sure it's positive - what you want to be doing or are doing....

Post the note cards in places you will see them. For example, on your bathroom mirror, your refrigerator, or the dashboard of your car. Don't worry, if you live with someone and you don't want to share your note cards, just keep them in more private places like your wallet, your makeup bag. The key is to make them visible. Read them as many times a day as you can!

This is a proven method that really works - it has been used in many aspects of life including business. I hope you try it out!
Let me know if it helps you too.

33flowers
03-14-2011, 10:45 PM
This is just what I needed to read today......THANK YOU!

msbrau
06-19-2011, 10:27 AM
Thanks for the article. I fell off on Friday (today is Sunday) and have been feeling very guilty about it. I weighed myself and have gained back 2 lbs. This article helped me to understand that it is OK, just get back on and continue my journey. Life is full of slip ups and speed bumps. Just deal with it. I am ready to start my healthy eating program today.

dreadfullydivine
06-26-2011, 10:31 AM
Thank you I needed this today.

LemonZest
07-07-2011, 10:52 PM
I didn't do very well yesterday and this article made me feel a lot better about it. Thank-you for posting it!

toodles11
08-21-2011, 10:50 AM
This is great and from playing Chutes & Ladders with my daughter, I know it is not a short game! Ha! There are ups & downs, but eventually you do end the game!

tiffiany
10-03-2011, 10:54 PM
Thank for sharing. Wow that was just the thing I needed to hear!!!!!

mpaynter
10-06-2011, 11:44 AM
Ambriehl,
i have a few question that maybe you can help me with. how can i get in touch . i am a newby and not sure how to send you a message personaly about starting to be a calorie counter. i did ww.

SuzEquestrianLover
02-13-2012, 12:16 PM
I really enjoyed your article. Thanks for sharing!

I agree that you shouldn't beat yourself up when you are doing so well, and suddenly give in and indulge. Sometimes your body needs something that is in that food, and you're doing yourself a favor. You'll get back to your diet and it may even catapult you to losing more weight. Sometimes you need the fat in order to get your body to get past that plateau. I've read that, anyways, that when you are low in fat reserves that you can't burn as much fat... meaning sometimes pizza is good for you!

loofa
03-31-2012, 11:10 PM
Thank you. I got on 3FC to say that I forgot something very important in the last few days--I don't have to eat it all today; it will be there tomorrow.

I feel better now--time to start climbing again! :carrot:

anibaby
10-01-2012, 08:51 AM
What is particularly encouraging about this article is how it acknowledges that it's not a case of "if" you fall off the wagon, it's a case of "when". That is something that may just help people pick themselves back up and dust themselves off if it does ever happen.

epifania
10-02-2012, 01:28 AM
Love this! Thanks for posting, OP.

masterptr
10-02-2012, 06:19 PM
:)
I hear you.
just today, I couldn't walk but 3.5 miles due to PMS
and want to eat more all day long...
started a week ago.
very very difficult to deal with this PMS thing... :(

the shiv
01-11-2013, 08:26 PM
*raises hand*

I'm doing IE, so technically, there's no wagon to fall off of, but this past week, just... Ugh. I've been having some problems (TMI!) and I know I need to see the doc and get it sorted, as it's screwing up my appetite which I've spent so long learning how to listen to. Also had a virus on top of this, so as impatient as I am I guess I just need to accept it's a slow week, see the doctor, get out walking every day again (it's making me too cranky not going out).

I guess that although I've broken the guilt cycle, which is great, I needed a reminder that I can't be all about losing weight, all the time. Life gets in the way, and I must find a way to work round the obstacles.

Thankyou :-)

goatsanddandelions
03-03-2013, 04:15 PM
I to fall of the 'wagon' too often. The only thing is that it takes me months to regain control. Hopefully this will be the last time I have to try to lose weight...;)

vennom11
03-15-2013, 05:40 PM
APHIL - Thanks a lot.

palsecam
04-09-2013, 05:20 PM
“The cardiologist’s diet: If it tastes good, spit it out.”:carrot:

baltimora
05-12-2013, 07:29 PM
this weekend was a chute. tomorrow i start climbing the ladder again.

croppants9
03-12-2014, 05:14 AM
I actually necessary that after the weekend that we experienced. I am nonetheless getting around the size tomorrow morning anyway. Deal with the music after which proceed.

sw49a
05-08-2014, 08:43 AM
What a great article. One of the biggest challenges in any life change or goal you need to reach is learning to have grace for yourself when you "slip up". Perhaps instead of seeing it as a slip up accept upfront that we always have moments where we are not going to live "perfectly" and plan to accept, love and move on when we have moments where we just indulge. If we accept times we take one step back with grace then we are quicker to move on.

sarahbaker
08-14-2014, 02:47 AM
Thank you so much for this wonderful article! I can totally relate!