South Beach Diet - Wednesday on The Beach

View Full Version : Wednesday on The Beach

Ruthxxx
06-23-2004, 06:09 AM
Happy hump day, chickies. I'm just getting us started up.

The Girls are demanding breakfast and are going to have to eat "store-bought" as I forgot to thaw their nummy barf diet! :lol: The dump stuff has to be hauled to the road and I need to clean out my car bigtime as today is the day I start picking up school entries for the Fair.

Procrastination will get me every time! I've been getting out summer clothes and cramming them into my closet without putting away winter ones. Yesterday the darn rod fell off. that got my attention! I have to do something about that today.

Hersh and I go to her Clinic job at noon so the day is as crammed as my closet. I hope the closet rod of the day doesn't bop me on the head when it falls! :lol:

I'll try to pop back in. In the meantime, play nicely.

Mamacita
06-23-2004, 06:21 AM
Good morning, Chicks~~

Ruth, you constantly amaze me with the amount of chores you manage to get done every day. I'm doing good if I get both shoes on and and brush my teeth before I run out the door. :lol3:

The girls (Pester Ann and Sunni) are starting their second day on restricted rations. I believe they think we're punishing them for something. Poor babies. So, now instead of nibbling all day long on a big bowl of kibble, they eat separately and get pre-measured portions in the morning and evening. Anything not eaten in an hour gets put away for the next meal.

We've been getting afternoon and evening T storms. So, no gardening for me. :(

Well, time to get my shower. I'll try to pop back on before I fly out the door.

Everyone have a great Beach day and don't get sand in your bathing suit! :D

Mamacita

little chick
06-23-2004, 06:36 AM
Morning Ruthie my you are an early bird this morning, good morning to the rest of you chickies to follow. I figured I would get on the computer before my dd gets out of bed then maybe I would have a shot to get on it. Who was it the other day that said they were ending thier affair wtih the unfaithful :goodscale Well I am also ending my affair but is with Mr Junk, oh he is so sweet and his skin is so dark and creamy and I will ocassionally sneak out to see Mr Lay with his crunchie attitude I still find myself going back for just one more,and Mr French Vanillia who is tall dark and sweet,had me hooked like a junkie and I kept saying just one more time. Well today when I met with Mr Scales I just step right up to him and jumped on him begging him for forgiveness well he was not very happy with me when he read the numbers that I had to explain. I can't say that I feel any better after confessing my sins I am feeling shame. I hope Mr Scales and you chickies can forgive me. I am starting fresh today I really do want to be faithfull to just one.( ps I thiking that I should see one on the side. He is Mr Beach and I hear that he see alot of differnt people, And does great things to your body..... I know I said that I would not see anyone else but Mr Scales but I do need to lighten the load on his heart mmmmmmmmmm what to do?) Well chicks that is my wacky wedendsay tale...... Sorry I am feeling a littel :dizzy: today. Hope you all have a HAPPY HUMP DAY :coffee:

little chick
06-23-2004, 06:43 AM
Morning Mamacita you sneaked in while I was posting.

ellis
06-23-2004, 07:29 AM
:lol3: Little Chick, you kill me. :lol:

Ruth, I THOUGHT I heard an angry scream coming from Delta yesterday! :rofl:

Mamacita, it's been storming here, too. I've had my clothes on the line for four days now. :rolleyes: They're well rinsed, anyhow. And the sun is out this morning...

I'm on my way to Mom and Dad's to clear out more stuff and do some packing. Dad was feeling so well on Saturday that he took his car out (first time in about a month!) and picked up a set of golf clubs for my DD. I don't know how I'm supposed to teach her how to play after Dad's gone when I've never even played myself! :lol:

Enjoy your day, all... and stay/get OP!! (do as I say, not as I do) :wave:

little chick
06-23-2004, 08:45 AM
Hugs to you Ellis. Good for you Dad taking out the car. My dad loves golf as well I have myself have never learned to play, but when my dad was home last summer he took my youngest dd to the driving range and now has her hooked. I wish that I could play. Have a great day. Ps. I would send you girls some pictures of my affairs but I would not want you guys drooling all over your computers.

Ruthxxx
06-23-2004, 09:34 AM
Speaking of drooling....who is that guy on the front cover of Vanity Fair? I nearly got kicked out of Loblaws yesterday for salivating and moaning! :rofl:

sweet tooth
06-23-2004, 09:36 AM
Morning, everyone,

Just thought I would pop in to say hi...on hump day.

Little chick, your explanation of junk food is great. I feel the same way...just have to give up all those little snacks that don't contribute to the end goal. It's so very hard, though.

I do have one question here... I started on Phase II on Monday by deciding to add 1 serving of carbs each day. The first day I ate a sandwich. Yesterday I had a small serving of whole wheat spaghetti for supper. When I weighed myself this morning, I had gained 1/2 pound. Is there something that I am doing wrong? I thought that I should still be losing, but instead have started to gain again. I am really worried about that.

Hope everyone has a great day. Take care.

Ruthxxx
06-23-2004, 09:37 AM
Well, I guess we weren't speaking of drooling. It IS hump day, however, and Little Chick started it with the sordid details of her affairs! I thought Maritimers were reticent.

Kiko
06-23-2004, 09:55 AM
Good Morning!

Ellis It is so good to hear that your dad is feeling well! Does your DH golf?

LC Your story cracked me up! :lol: It is so hard to get back on track sometimes. You can DO it! One day at a time...

Sweet Tooth I don't think you are doing anything wrong. Bear in mind how much the scale fluctuates. I would give it some more time. Being patient sucks though! :flow1: Sending good vibes your way!

Ruth Make sure you stop and take a breath for yourself today!!

We are down to our 10 day countdown until we leave for our vacation. I am so excited! A large portin of my family lives in Ohio and the drive down to the Outer Banks, NC every summer and rent beach houses. (two adjacent ones). We will fly out on the 3rd and come back on the 11th. We have the absolute BEST time and I will be meeting by 8 month old niece for the first time! Too fun! Lots of good eating and even more drinking, but my goal is to do everything in moderation.

Not much on our agenda today- it has been getting quite hot in the afternoons here, so I don't like to have DD out in the heat. Toy R Us is doing some craft thingie every Wednesday, so we are going to go check that out. (It is FREE, even better!!) I also promised her a tea party today- :).

Have a super Hump Day and behave!! :devil:

beachgal
06-23-2004, 10:29 AM
Good morning, Ladies! Well, the scale is obviously trying to get back into my good graces, or he is just luring me in so he can drop me again. :p Weighed 285 twice, then 286 the last time. *sigh* I haven't been with anyone else and he still makes me feel guilty! :lol: Sheesh, who needs soap operas around here! :D

Ruth, you never stop! How you manage is beyond me! :D Hope that you can get the clothes rod all fixed up. Whoever had my closet before me did a great job by installing a second rod behind the first (it's in the sloping section of the roof, so very deep and not very tall). I just put the off season clothes on that rod and keep the in season clothes in front. Works like a charm, until I have to tunnel through the clothes to get the shelves in the back, which was not a good design idea! ;) Maybe the previous owner was a Liliputian? ;) Ruth, I don't know who that drool-worthy guy was, but I'm shocked and appalled by your behavior! And in Loblaws, no less...that paragon of ladylike behavior! :lol3: You are the best, Ruth!

Mamacita, I am so with you on the getting very little done on the way out the door. I am lucky to get clothes on straight, remember underwear for my change of clothes at the gym, and remember my gallon of water, let alone do all the cool stuff Ruth does! Love the sand in the bathing suit comment! :lol3: Hope the puplets do well on the new diet. Will the vet let you give them carrots? Unfortunately, our dog has no interest in them, but my MIL gives her dogs carrots as treats, and they go wild for them! Though they have a high sugar content, it doesn't seem to add on the pounds in dogs. She used the baby carrots and snaps them in half, giving a half to each dog. Wonder if you could use those to reward them and let them know that they are still loved! ;) I'm wondering if I should try the "leave it an hour and take it away" method with Lady, our dog. She is leaving huge amounts of food in her bowl, though every so often, she eats. I know she likes her food...if we put it in her buster cube, she eats it all, but I do not want her training us to put all her food in the cube every day. I just don't have time for that. But I do want her eating...she is looking thin. Hmmm. :chin:

Little Chick, :bravo: for getting back on the wagon and doing a flamenco dance away from your former lovers! :cp: I loved your story! :lol:

Ellis, I always wondered what people do when they have clothes on the line and it rains. They're definitely going to have that "rain fresh scent"! :lol3: So glad your dad was able to get out and about. How's he doing now? Are you wearing one of you many brand new (to you) outfits? :)

Sweet Tooth, that *is* perplexing. What did you use for your sandwich? Did you check to make sure the carbs you are using are truly Whole Wheat and not enriched whole wheat or just wheat? That might have something to do with it. Also, is everything else exactly the same or are you drinking less water, exercising less, etc? I would give it a day or two more and see how it levels out. Could just be something else entirely. Can't assume it's the carbs until you give it a bit more time, as frustrating as that is.

It's a lovely day out, and I'm looking forward to an evening off. Normally I'd do my yoga/pilates video tonight, but I'm going to push it off to Saturday on the advice of Michelle and others in the Exercise forum. It's a bit much to combine with Jazzercise tomorrow on my legs...no time for them to rest. So maybe I'll do a little quilting or clean something up in the house...

Had a Broccoli and Chicken stirfry with soba noodles last night. It was fantastic! I'll post the Cooking Light recipe in the Phase 1 Entrees section. Very good! I'm hoping that Soba (buckwheat) noodles are OP...sound like it. The ones I had were made with yams as well. Interesting! I'm making a chicken salad for lunch and then we're having the almond dijon chicken along with couscous and salad (maybe green beans if I feel like it) tonight for dinner. Easy and yummy!

Got two more charms for my last 8 pounds lost, a sillouhette of a mother lifting up her child and a baby carriage with a movable hood. I'm going to the jewelers at lunch to get them put on my bracelet. So excited! :)

Have a wonderful day on the beach, ladies...stay away from tall, dark, creamy strangers! :lol:

fuzzy324
06-23-2004, 12:01 PM
Morning, chickies--

Trying to enjoy the quiet today while it lasts, as my office mate returns tomorrow. She's a nice lady, but LORDY, can she talk!

The scale was not my friend this morning. Didn't budge at all from last week's weight, though, it is TOM. Just a little disappointed b/c the last couple months I've been able to lose in spite of it; think it had me spoiled. Plus this means I need to lose 3 more by next Wednesday to meet the monthly goal... Maybe I'll try to get in a little bike riding before the 30th. I've been slacking a little with the exercise.

We had the beef kabobs with peanut sauce for dinner last night. Pretty good, but I think I'm gonna cut out some of the sugar substitute in the peanut sauce next time cuz the sweetness was a bit too much for me. Too much splenda just leaves a nasty taste in my mouth. The marinade for the steak, however, is absolutely yummy. :)

Have a wonderful day, girls!

little chick
06-23-2004, 12:02 PM
Hey Beachgal your charm sounds so lovely. I think I need to get a braclet. Do they make chocolate bar charms or ones that look like a bag of chips or a Tim Horton's French Vanillia? Well chicks I just had to brag a little. Since it has only been a matter of hours since I have given up on my cheating ways. ( Don't let all those back assward commets about us martimers fool you Ruthie we even have 2 ply toilet paper in the outhouses now. ;) ) I was tempted again by the tall dark and sweet Mr Chocolate Cake. He arrived here in time for dessert with the wee ones. I almost sampled some of his fine morsels that he was trying to sweet talk me with. But I stayed strong and had some Chilli lightly sprinkled with Parm cheese and an apple. God it feels good to be strong. But really I am hoping by posting this then I won't be tempted with the left overs. Ruthie if you keep putting the rod back up that could be considered your exercise for the day. Check in later. I am going to try to come as often as I can so I can regain back some of my strength and cleanse my chocolate coverd soul. :lol:

Barb0522
06-23-2004, 12:37 PM
Good work, little chick, at avoiding temptation! :cp: Maybe you can shove the leftovers out of sight so you can feed them to your kids but not look at them all the time. That is what I do with my son's Thin Mints. This is the latest we have EVER still had Girl Scout cookie's left, usually I eat them up quickly

beachgal
06-23-2004, 01:02 PM
Good going, LC!!! :cheer: :high: :cp:

You keep telling Mr. Cake "No, way, Jose!" (we are on a first name basis, unfortunately)

Crazy enough, but they have every charm imaginable...check this out: http://www.moonlightcharms.com/ (they have a chocolate bar, even a coffee bean and french fries, but I didn't see chips there. Know I've seen them somewhere. You could actually make an SBD bracelet with lots of fruits and veggies and such. :lol: )

ellis
06-23-2004, 02:15 PM
Yes, Laurie, I'm wearing one of my "new" outfits. And I look like freakin' Miss Piggy. :mad: Why did I buy two green tops!?!? Black is the only "colour" that makes me look slim(mer). damn.
It would be cool if you could cut a leg off, and then have it quickly grow back using the excess fat from the rest of your body.
You're a frequent weigher, huh? My DH does that. I've never seen anyone get on and off the scale so many times in so few minutes. :lol:
BTW, that's a disgusting idea re: the charms. Who the **** wants to hang fruit and veg around their wrist!? It's enough that we have to EAT the damned stuff!!

Peggy, it's probably just water weight. Don't stress over it too much. :yes:

Karen, North Carolina is BEAUTIFUL!
No, my DH doesn't golf. Guess I'll have to teach him, too! :D

Little Chick, do you like the Tim Horton's Iced Cappucinos? They're yummy. The large size is too damned small, though. SUPER SIZE ME!!!

beachgal
06-23-2004, 02:47 PM
I think somebody is a wee bit overtired.... :lol3: Ellis, I'm sure you don't look like Miss Piggy! I think a bracelet of fruit and veg would be so lovely... NOT! :lol: However, a bracelet full of ice cream and chocolate bars would definitely get me off plan in a second. Sad that even little silver things can look appetizing! ;)

I like the leg off idea. In OA they were talking about how in the past we thought we were giving our problem to our higher power, when we were really saying, "Take away all this weight, but let me keep eating the way I am now". Um, yeah, what's the point? :lol: I *do* get it, but I have to admit, at the time I didn't really see that much wrong with that picture...

I hope you have a better day, Ellis. And after having seen your picture, I can truly say that I'm sure you look warm, lovely, and good in whatever you are wearing, green or not. 'kay? :grouphug:

ellis
06-23-2004, 03:08 PM
Okay. :) Thank you, sweetie. :grouphug:

ADDflower
06-23-2004, 03:14 PM
:flow1: Morning Chickadees :flow2:

Sounds like everyone is having good days.

Watch your head Ruth! :lol: You've got nothing on my (step)Mom who has not only her own huge walk in closet, but a good portion of my Dad's walk in closet, every other closet in the house (4 including coat closet) AND an entire bedroom which is a closet/dressing room with clothing racks in the middle of the room.

I love T-storms Mamacita, although I unplug the computer and TV and stuff (gotta get that damn renters insurance!) because we don't have a grounded outlet in the house... send them my way if you like!

Hi Peggy! I don't know that I've met you before... a 1/2 pound gain could be bladder or bowel based (I remember when I was doing WW years ago that I weighed at the begining of the meeting, showed a 1 pound gain, peed after I was weighed and showed a loss). Measuring can be good... but I don't like being reminded that my height and my waist are so close together numerically, so I don't do that. :o That's why I prefer to average my weight (when I weigh regularaly)

...speaking of weighing... I didn't get a new scale yesterday :eek: . TOP OF THE LIST TODAY. I did however weigh myself after I got out of the shower.. with a wet head my untrustworthy scale says I've lost 17 pounds.

I shouldn't even say the word "chocolate cake". I saw the recipe for bean cake but couldn't belive that it would actually taste good (that and the fact that I don't like splenda much).

I know that I'm using the carb safe ice cream stuff as a crutch... but as long as it works! Being allergic to fruit sucks :(

gonna eat my lunch and get outta the house. I saw a scale on kohl's website that is both analog and digital... gonna take a look at it.

Lovingly,
:foot:

ADDflower
06-23-2004, 03:23 PM
*blush* it took me so long to finish that post between phone calls, the fur-kids needs and everything else that a mess of new posts were up by the time I finished...

Ellis... I always thought Miss Piggy was way more glamorous than I! Glam up girl! You're beautiful.

I like what you wrote about OA Laurie, it's so true... unfair... but true!

Exercise, exercise, exercise... I just got a call from the girl with horses, I'm gonna meet her tomorrow at 11:30 to see if this will work out.

Lovingly,
:foot:

sweet tooth
06-23-2004, 03:23 PM
Just popping in for a minute before I go home to bed...alone. Thanks for the encouragement. Thanks for the advice to wait and see what happens. Yes, things have changed this past week, so that may contribute to the weight gain. I am frustrated because I have really not eaten much since last I had surgery last Thursday other than a couple of omeletts, some yogurt a cheese slice and that's about all.

Maybe there is a problem with the changes, because I am certainly not eating enough each day...maybe the carbs that I have added are too much for the rest of the day's intake. I will wait, be patient and try to manage through the weight gain.

Thanks for the help everyone....race you to the water!

Kiko
06-23-2004, 03:33 PM
Peggy When I was doing WW, I was actually more successful when I ate more- closer to the top of my point range. You may be right in that you aren't eating enough. How exciting is that?? Eat more!!!! :lol:

Ellis Be nice to yourself! :goodvibes

Just finished lunch- leftovers from last night. I think that is going to be my strategy for when I go back to work at the end of July is to make extra for dinner and then just eat leftovers for lunch. One strategy I read in a parenting magazine to help simplify your life is to make a rotating menu of 21 meals, then rotate it on a 3 week basis. Then you make grocery lists for each rotation. Sounds great, eh?? HA! I can't see myself ever getting my self that together, but the idea sure sounds great! :dizzy:

DD is down for a nap, so I am going to read a bit while I can!

justjodi
06-23-2004, 03:40 PM
well good afternoon y'all,
friggin busy job i have here!!! it is nice to see everyone is doing so good today, i hope it continues for everyone.

ellis- i'm with you i can't wear fruit and veggies on my arm i would feel like that chaquita bananna girl from the commercials. wear the green shirt pretend it is camoflage you are a piece of celery!!! i think i will be brave and get a stuffed pig charm.... damn thing will probabally be so heavy my scale will notice.

ruth- the closet thing happened to me a few months ago except the shelf on top of the rod went too i had junk everywhere!! good luck with the clothes switch.

laurie- thanks for all your nice comments yesterday and good thoughts. i know i have an eating problem i realized that a few months ago, i have thought about OA but i am just not ready to face that yet. maybe in time. i was hoping to avoid the whole issue by loosing the damned weight, but i truly know that is really the least of my worries.

ADD- thanks for the kind words also i think i'll give the carb safe stuff a try, it might help with that sweet craving i've been having. good luck on the scale hunt!!

little chick- i started an affair on sunday at our church festival there was a booth selling deep fried snickers, my new love!!! leave it to some little old skinny woman to come up with an even fattier version of my favorite candy bar. it was awesome though!! good luck on your re-start i'm right there with you!!!
ooops boss is coming hope everyone else has a great day!!! bye

Barb0522
06-23-2004, 03:42 PM
Peggy - It certainly sounds possible that your body could think it is starving but it is also possible that this is a normal up and down reaction. Give it a few days and see if it stabilizes.

Kiko - I tried bringing salads to work and I just couldn't get excited over them. Leftovers have been working really well for me as long as I can manage a few minutes to heat them up in the microwave. It seems like the lines in the cafeteria for the microwaves are much shorter. I hope that doesn't mean we have less people working here now but it probably does. I don't think I could manage to plan a 3 week rotation but I try to keep a list of meals that everyone eats and then I can pick from that. I like to try a few new meals along with mostly old favorites but lots of the old favorites have had to be converted (like hot dog night).

cac
06-23-2004, 04:07 PM
Hi all,

Just call me Ms Poison Oak. It was not getting any better so now I am a cortozon (so) cream. I just hope I can sleep tonight.

I am back down to 126. I took me a week to recover from my horrible weekend. I have 5 more lbs to loose to reach my gaol of 10 lbs this month. My motive I s a I have a formal wedding to go to towards the end of July. I have one appropriate outfit to wear and I don't want to purchase another. it will take about 15 lbs to get into the suit.

cac

beachgal
06-23-2004, 04:54 PM
cac, I hope you feel better soon! Did you try the Aveeno baths? I swear they help sooo much! Sending lots of :goodvibes: for you to heal quickly and fit into that suit!

Peggy, it does sound like the lack of eating could be doing it. Just watch what you are doing...try to make sure you have some fat and protein with the carb to slow down the absorbtion of its sugars. I hope you feel better soon, and please don't feel bad about going home alone! :grouphug:

Barb, leftovers are a good thing! Unfortunately, we have our starch for dinner, so it is hard to have them the next day for lunch when I am on the one starch a day plan. I need to start having at least two dinners a week where the starch is a side dish rather than part of the meal so I can eat the rest the next day. We had hot dog night when I was a kid! My favorite night of the week! Have you tried the tofu hot dogs? They are actually pretty good, and are listed as "Good" in the GFGCG.

Jodi, pigs are pretty darn cute. My sister loves them and has a huge collection of pigs and they really are adorable. :) That is about the only thing you have in common with them, you know...the cuteness factor. :grouphug: I understand how you feel about OA...it took me several years to be ready to go and I only made it with support from a good friend. :goodvibes: Many of the people at my meeting are doing it for the third or fourth time in their life and finally ready to really commit and work the steps. Others have been coming to meetings for over a year and aren't ready to do any steps yet. It's a work in progress. One thing that surprised me is that the two members who have been in OA for at least 10 years are not skinny!!! They are not obese, but definitely at least 40 pounds overweight. Helped me remember that we will never be perfect...always a "work in progress". I love what you said about the weight being the least of your worries...the weight really is a physical manifestation of what is really wrong, you know? :grouphug:

Kiko, I fully agree about WW. I did much better at the higher points level. I know that our leader told us that once we lost the weight to get to a different level, we should technically eat less points, but everyone she knew had not switched down, and they did better than those who did. What all this means is that you need to eat to lose! Good news, indeed! :yes: Love the idea about the meals...I would just get so bored! I'm always trying something new and have to fight myself to make things I liked before instead of a new recipe. :lol:

ADD, how does your stepmother manage to find something to wear? ;) Truly, I would forget half the clothes I owned if they were all spread out like that. This woman in my choir has a new outfit every time I see her. I tease her all the time because she has both closets in their master bedroom and her husband shares a closet with their son in his room! ;) How did it go with the horses? Sounds like great exercise...you'll have such toned thighs! Lucky you to be near a Kohl's...they have such great deals, and they are a company you can shop with and be confident of their morals and values. :) Did you find your dream scale? One that will not treat you right? ;) I hope so!

little chick
06-23-2004, 09:07 PM
Hey chicks just checking in before I go off to bed. I did mange to keep all affairs at bay today. Yahoo I stayed OP. Beachgal love the web with the charms. I can just seem me now wear one with chocolate bars dangling from it. The baby ones a very sweet as well. Ellis I am totally in love with the hot ones. And I am totally with you on the super size, DH has started calling them *** caps hoping to keep me from drinking them. :lol: what a guy. Addflower I am so jealous I wish I could go riding with you. Horses are my total fav animal. I can remember when I was around 12 begging my grandfather to let me get a horse my grandparents had a huge farm but they were older and only had chickens left by that time and grandma said no. I cried for weeks cause grampie said yes but said I needed clearence through her. Of course now I realise he was going to let me either but I got to mad at her and not him. Totally did not see that then. :lol: Well chicks I am off to bed after a quick game of backgammon. see ya in the morning.

Kiko
06-23-2004, 10:05 PM
LC Yippee on your OP day- it is the best feeling to go to bed feeling in control. :)

I just had two light beers at my girlfriend's house, but was OP the rest of the day. I had salmon, green beans, and a broiled tomato for dinner. I drizzled balsamic over the tomato- added salt, pepper, and cheese and broiled it. Pretty tasty.

Have a great evening all! "Talk" to you tomorrow.