South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 06-17-2004, 11:45 AM   #1  

Talking A Phase One lifesaver!!

Hello ladies,

I have to send a HUGE thanks out to Beachgal, for passing along a SENSATIONAL recipe that is totally Ph1 legal, VERY tasty, and very very filling.

I hate to even say this, because it sounds so cliche, but I made this recipe last night and got my wonderful boyfriend Rob to taste it, and he said, "Are you serious? This is diet food?" I wouldn't normally type that, because so many people say that about recipes that aren't very good, so it loses its punch. But this time, it's totally legitimate.

So, Beachgal, I LOVE you -- thank you SO much, I think you have seriously saved Ph1 for me, because I finally have something easy and delicious to bring to work that will fill me up for a few hours at least.

Here's the recipe for everyone else's perusal (I'm sure this should be posted in the recipes section, but I didn't want anyone to miss it):

Ham and White Bean Soup
From Cooking Light

A touch of vinegar added at the end brightens the flavor of this amiable stew.

2 cups coarsely chopped yellow onion
3/4 cup coarsely chopped celery
1/2 cup coarsely chopped carrot
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1/2 cup chopped cooked ham
1 bay leaf
1 (15.8-ounce) can Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained
2 (14 1/2-ounce) cans fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Combine first 3 ingredients in a food processor; pulse 10 times or until finely chopped. Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add vegetables; saute 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add ham, bay leaf, beans, and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 12 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Remove from heat; stir in vinegar and pepper. Discard bay leaf.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 cup)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 230 (14% from fat); FAT 3.6g (sat 0.8g, mono 0.9g, poly 1.6g); PROTEIN 15.7g; CARB 34.9g; FIBER 7.9g; CHOL 9mg; IRON 2.4mg; SODIUM 591mg; CALC 92mg;
Old 06-17-2004, 11:54 AM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Whoops! Carrots are not allowed until Phase II but such a small amount won't hurt, I'm sure.
Looks good. Beachgal, could you find the time to post in the recipe section?
Old 06-17-2004, 01:50 PM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthxxx
Whoops! Carrots are not allowed until Phase II but such a small amount won't hurt, I'm sure.
Looks good. Beachgal, could you find the time to post in the recipe section?
WHOOPS!!! I didn't even realize when I made it -- I forget about the darn carrots every time. But, you could just as easily leave them out.
Old 06-17-2004, 01:51 PM   #4  

Hey, try the Fireside White bean soup too - it's excellent.
Old 06-17-2004, 02:08 PM   #5  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Darn...I forgot about the carrots too, Kim! Sorry about that!

Glad you liked it! Cooking Light has made SBD so easy for me...I love that magazine! Anyone can get to their recipes at www.cookinglight.com. You have to sign in to get to them, but that's free and worth the time, I promise!

I'm going to post a ton of bean recipes in the recipe forum, including this one. And I'll watch for carrots!
Old 06-18-2004, 09:12 AM   #6  

Beachgal:
You have to be a Cooking Light Magazine Subscriber or an AOL member to see the recipes. I just let my subscription drop, boo-hoo!!
Closed Thread