South Beach Diet - OK, what food do you *HAVE* to have?

wendyjo
06-15-2004, 04:02 PM
There is a discussion in another thread about tailoring this program to suit your tastes and needs once you are out of Phase 1 and comfortable with how it works. That got me thinking - Is there a food or beverage that you just have to have no matter what? Something that you just can't live without?

For me, it's flavored coffee creamer. I just gotta have it. I have 2 coffees on weekdays, one in the morning and one after dinner, and sometimes I have even more on the weekends. It's the one thing that I just can't give up. They do have low carb now but they're still loaded with crap.

How about ya'll? Any weaknesses like mine?

chick_on_the_beach
06-15-2004, 04:12 PM
I have to have a cup of caffeinated coffee first thing in the morning. Some things I read say to limit it and some things say to cut it out altogether but I can now drink it with skim milk. I also have eaten fruit yogurt all the way through cause I can't give it up. I found a brand that uses artificial sweetener so is lower in carbs than ricotta and much lower in fat.

wendyjo
06-15-2004, 04:15 PM
Oh, and please note that this thread is in no way saying that it's OK to eat/drink these products just because some of us do and still manage to lose. LOL, be stronger than us!!

Ruthxxx
06-15-2004, 04:29 PM
Wine!

wendyjo
06-15-2004, 04:31 PM
LOL - the wino that I know :)

lyrac425
06-15-2004, 05:47 PM
French Vanilla Latte or Irish Cream Latte.

Kiko
06-15-2004, 06:27 PM
Ruth :dancer: I second that emotion! :dancer:

SBNewbie
06-15-2004, 08:54 PM
I know it will never be allowed, but I miss my sticky white rice with dinner. *sigh* I am worried that my love affair with rice will be my downfall...

rekanoh
06-15-2004, 09:46 PM
Wine me too:)

MichelleRae
06-15-2004, 11:45 PM
Hmmm...I don't really have one thats not OP lol, I can't live without my braeburn apples Yumm!!!!

Michelle

Jojo42
06-16-2004, 01:55 AM
It's gotta be dark chocolate....or maybe wine. It's a tossup, I guess!

Michelle, no wonder you're doing so well--apples! I love 'em, especially being from Washington State--but honestly!

Jojo

ozziesgirl
06-16-2004, 01:59 AM
Diet pepsi, the caffeinated kind. I can't give it up. I love it. I drink close to 2 liters a day. Could be what is stalling me but I am willing to wait.

Jo-Anne
06-16-2004, 07:19 AM
I can't give up my salmon.. I love salmon.... Salmon is good omega food also...

ellis
06-16-2004, 08:56 AM
Coffee. And an occasional Corona on the verandah with my DH and a slice of lime.

MichelleRae
06-16-2004, 09:28 AM
Jojo - Its funny about me, I found out that if I keep eating good and healthy then I have less gastrointestinal distress, when before I went on sbd if I would eat chocolate or high fat foods omg my guts would just twist in pain, not any more!! So its a motivation for me to stay "clean" ;)
Michelle

sweet tooth
06-16-2004, 10:50 AM
I must be the odd one out, here. I have to admit that SBD was designed especially for me. The OP foods on the diet are all the things that I LOVE to eat. I have never been a big lover of carbs, with the exception of pasta - but if the truth is to be known it is the pasta sauce that I love, not necessarily the pasta. I don't intentionally eat much sugar, but do indulge in the odd dessert now and then.

The first time I decided to lose weight I went on Weight Watchers, disciplined myself to succeeding and lost most of the weight that I wanted. I had a light bulb experience one day and realized that I was hungry all the time, I didn't enjoy the foods that were available for snacking very much and I was having a lousy time losing the weight. The dr. also put me on hormones and I could not sustain the weight loss program with the hormones. Consequently, I gained 30-40 pounds back.

A few weeks ago the dr. advised me to cut carbs and sugar out of my diet - that between those two things, we are becoming an obese society. When I went searching for a program to fit those needs, I discovered this little gem of a diet. I have since discovered that I ate potatoes, rice, pasta, etc. because I was always taught that they were forms of complex carbohydrates and were healthy for you. In reality, I would rather go to the fridge and select a hunk of cheese for a snack. I have been like this since I was small - my dad and I would buy 10 lb. of cheese each week and between the two of us, we polished the whole thing off. Cheese shopping night was always the hilight of the week.

Converting to reduced fat varieties has not been a problem. On WW, I had already converted to reduced fat and fat free varieties of products - now I am just more conscious that they don't contain sugar.

The part that still amazes me is that I am never hungry, I am enjoying the foods on the program AND losing weight. I have another medical in a month, so will find out the effect that the program has had on my blood chemistry - really looking forward to the tests.

For me, this is the perfect way to eat and I don't miss anything that I had before. Last night I made tortellini with alfredo sauce for the family and actually watched them eat it while I had a cheese omelett. Didn't even have a desire to pop a piece in my mouth when I was cleaning up the leftovers. I was amazed that those desires are absolutely gone...

This one is definitely for me!!!!

MittenNKim
06-16-2004, 12:04 PM
I know it will never be allowed, but I miss my sticky white rice with dinner. *sigh* I am worried that my love affair with rice will be my downfall...

Have you ever tried brown basmati rice? It's absolutely DELICIOUS, and once you're on Ph2, it's totally legal! (In limited amounts, of course. :D )

For me... I think my downfall is beer. I love it oh so much! But they have those new low-carb beers that are really quite good. I'm excited to get to Ph2 so I can have one again, and not die with guilt.

kahnfv
06-16-2004, 03:15 PM
Mine is a seasoning. Salt. I've cut back on how much I use, but there is just some foods that must have salt. And real butter, I love it on my baked sweet potato. Guess it's better than margarine with all the trans-fats.

beachgal
06-16-2004, 04:06 PM
Kim, I think the low carb beers are off limits as well. I believe Dr. A really meant that all beers are off limits, always. They just have too much sugar and the worst kind possible. Can't say for certain, as the GFGCG does not mention low-carb beers, but remember, we aren't as worried about the carbs as we are about the type of carbs. A low amount of the bad stuff is still bad.

That said, I love salt too...in particular, Lawry's seasoning salt. I put it on everything and liberally. I was looking at the container the other day and read that the second ingredient is SUGAR!!! :fr: Go figure! I'm trying not to use as much, but this is truly the food thing that I *have* to have! At least I think so...*sigh* I have to do some research and find out how bad it is to decide. :p

kahnfv
06-16-2004, 06:16 PM
I didn't know Lawry's has sugar in it! I use it all the time to season meat before grilling. I need to be better about reading labels.

MittenNKim
06-16-2004, 08:32 PM
Kim, I think the low carb beers are off limits as well. I believe Dr. A really meant that all beers are off limits, always. They just have too much sugar and the worst kind possible.

It's cases like this where I feel like, damn, why can't I be one of those people who can enjoy the foods they love? Or drinks in this case.

Though, I suppose it all really changes once you get into Ph3. I suppose while I'm trying to lose, I can't worry about what I can't have and try to enjoy what I CAN have... and think about the loss as opposed to the rest.

wendyjo
06-17-2004, 09:35 AM
MichelleRae, my IBS has gotten much better since starting Southbeach too. No more tummy aches and indigestion :)

Lolow38
06-17-2004, 11:37 AM
Can't do without my Dr. Pepper, no matter what diet or life style I choose. lol

chick_on_the_beach
06-17-2004, 04:16 PM
[QUOTE=MittenNKim]It's cases like this where I feel like, damn, why can't I be one of those people who can enjoy the foods they love? Or drinks in this case.

It is all about moderation. I am the size that I am because I can't just have one. When you watch thin people eat a large meal of junk food but this is probably because they have skipped breakfast and lunch and probably played an hour of squash before they ate. They are not eating big volumes of junk all day long. When I was my ideal size I never ate sweet food, stuck to wholegrains, always cut the fat off meat (if I ate it at all), walked everywhere and my only vice was alcohol which I limited to weekends anyway.

MittenNKim
06-18-2004, 10:10 AM
[It is all about moderation. I am the size that I am because I can't just have one.

You're right, Chick, I know. But it's hard to come to terms with the fact that I'll never BE one of those skinny people who CAN gorge on junk food if they choose. Even if I didn't eat breakfast or lunch, and ran for an hour before, I'd STILL see negative results from eating junk! Or drinking beer.

That said, I'm finding that I'm actually looking forward to my SB meals right now -- thinking at work about the salad I'm going to make myself when I get home or whatever. That's a different feeling for me. (Though, I'm getting mighty sick of everything on the Ph1 legal list. heh.)