South Beach Diet - New to SB

View Full Version : New to SB

Ohiomother
06-15-2004, 02:17 PM
I started the SB Diet on May 24, 04. Since then, I have had 2 family reunions, a banquet, and went on vacation. I stuck to the diet the whole time. I know they said only do phase I for 2 weeks, but I did 4. I figured it would be easier while on vacation. I am now ready to start phase II, but I am afraid I will quit losing. How do you know how much to start adding in. I thought maybe a piece of whole wheat toast at breakfast, and a piece of fruit at lunch to start. How do I know if that is enough?

SW=306
CW=280
GW=150

wendyjo
06-15-2004, 02:38 PM
I think that is a great way to start. I started with just one extra thing a day - berries. You really can't know ahead of time how much is gonna work. You just have to start adding stuff slowly and if you stop losing or start gaining then cut something back out.

kaetra
06-15-2004, 02:42 PM
I followed the book on my Phase II start, and it turned out to be too much for me. I gained a bit back. After I cut back to one starch and one fruit a day though, I lost the weight and an extra pound.

I'm really short though (5'), I think my needs are smaller than taller people.

beachgal
06-15-2004, 02:49 PM
Hi, Ohiomom!

Good for you on doing so well in spite of major temptation! I don't know anyone who has lasted through four weeks of Phase 1!!! :cp: :cheer: :high: :cp:

For Phase 2, I actually added in two starches and three fruits, and I was able to reduce down to one starch and one fruit, which is where I currently am. I lose on that amount, but not on more. Others have added things in slowly. Either way seems to work.

However, many have noticed (and I have, too) that eating a starch and/or fruit first thing in the day tends to cause cravings, so you might want to put your starch in at lunch or dinner or during a snack rather than at breakfast. Just an idea.

Thrilled to hear about your loss and major self-control! What a role model you are! :cp:

BTW, what did you eat on Phase 1...you must have gotten pretty creative! Please share your recipes and ideas with us in the recipe forum!

Jojo42
06-15-2004, 04:12 PM
Good Job, Ohiomom! I am impressed...I agree you just have to see what works, but one fruit and one bread-y thing doesn't seem like a lot to me to start. If you stop losing, cut back, but I bet you'll be fine

Enjoy the Beach...

Jojo

Ohiomother
06-15-2004, 06:49 PM
Thanks for the ideas. I pretty much just followed the book for phase one. If I didn't think I would be home I threw a cheese stick and some nuts in my purse so I wouldn't be tempted to stop and eat. I did find a couple of good recipes. I will post it in the recipes section.