Closed Thread

Old 06-14-2004, 10:36 AM   #1  

Default Weigh in at home 6/14 - 6/20

Starting the topic - be right back
Old 06-14-2004, 10:45 AM   #2  

Carla – sounds like you did great this weekend between brats on the grill (mmm, my mouth is watering) and a block party! Those mini spring rolls sound great – I’ll have to look for them next time we are at Costco.

Karen – I’m glad you got to work in the garden this weekend – I’m hoping to do a little after this class ends on Wed and before the next two (!) start (6/28). What you ate sounds pretty reasonable. I guess the question in my mind is after a few weeks of eating like this, and after you add in whole grain bread or pasta and fruit, how much do you get to have? I think not having fruit at first would be as hard for me as not having any bread. Well, I might consider it, maybe in July or August when I’ll have a little more time for food prep (even with 2 courses in July, I won’t be working). Of course, then there’s Tony – maybe he’d give up pasta for a week but I doubt he’d give up fruit! Did you buy a book or is there a website where you got all the info?

It was a crazy weekend – I’m not done with the project but I did 8 lesson plans with activity sheets and I wrote the performance assessment this morning. I still have plenty to do but I think it’s doable even if I feel like I am on a treadmill, constantly trying to keep up. I had a few too may cashews last night – Tony went shopping and came back with a 2 pound can that he left on the counter. Oh well, I’m not stressing about it. I did the “ThighTrimmer” workout from that new DVD yesterday morning and and I’ll do some upper body weights at gym today and I still have plenty of flex points.

Gotta run – have a great one!
Judy
Old 06-14-2004, 02:07 PM   #3  
Canadian, eh?

Judy - you add stuff back gradually until you can determine what you can eat and still maintain a 1-2 lb weight loss per week. Sounds like you've made great strides in your project! I bought the book; you can get used ones through Amazon or Ebay. The SBD board here has lots of info in their FAQ forum.

I took the dogs for a 30 minute walk by the river this morning before work, so I got some exercise in. If I'm feeling energetic after work, I may even dust off the trusty treadmill and do a cardio workout.

Have a great day!

Karen
Old 06-14-2004, 02:53 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 268.8/266.4/145

Height: 5'8"

Hi all.

Karen - I read your post from the weekend and it sounds like you're really doing some healthy eating. I think cutting out the processed foods helps a lot. We don't eat a huge amount of processed foods, but I certainly could cut back our consumption even more. I guess, aside from missing the carbs and fruits, which I could certainly get over, I might have a problem with getting in enough lean meat as I don't like fish. A girl can only eat so much chicken, after all. I may try to find the book at the library just to look it over. I have a feeling though that the wait list for the book is probably a mile long.

Judy - Definitely look for the spring rolls - they're great. The brand is Shanghai Kitchen. I just had them for lunch; Ana had them for breakfast and lunch. She really loves them. Wow, reading about all the work you have to do makes me want to take a nap. Don't sweat the cashews. At least nuts are a healthy snack.

I finished out the weekend just fine. I ate a bunch of small meals on Sunday and ended up under target by a few points. I figure since I used a bunch of flex points on Friday and Saturday, that should keep my body guessing. I might try to stay under by a couple today too, although I'm making mac and cheese for dinner, so that might be difficult. It was rainy this morning - in fact Ana's first swim lesson was cancelled - but it's nice and sunny out now, so I think I'll take Ana for a walk. It won't mean much in terms of cardio exercise, but at least it will get me moving again.

Have a great afternoon/evening.

Carla
Old 06-14-2004, 04:07 PM   #5  
Canadian, eh?

Carla - Sounds like you had a great weekend! Way to go! That's too funny that they cancelled a swimming lesson because of the rain - were they afraid the kids would get wet??
Old 06-14-2004, 07:20 PM   #6  

Karen - I was just surfing a little on the SBD threads here (I'm in class and bored) and I have a question. How long are you supposed to stay in Phase I? That's the part with no fruit, right?
Old 06-14-2004, 11:03 PM   #7  
Canadian, eh?

Judy - generally two weeks. People who have lots of weight to lose can stay on it for up to four weeks.
Old 06-16-2004, 09:15 AM   #8  

Hi all.

Karen - Yeah, you'd think a little rain wouldn't stop a swimming lesson, especially since I've seen soccor go on through a drizzle. This, however, became buckets of rain, so it's just as well that they cancelled.

It was a disappointing weigh-in this morning for me - up .04 pounds. I know that it's a small gain, not much more than a maintain, but added to last week's small gain... Plus it's pretty darn frustrating to work really hard to stay OP through cookouts, etc. and get a gain as your reward. Oh well, maybe next week I'll see a nice loss. I know what I have to do: stay OP despite it all. I also have to go for better balance this week. I was really light on fruits/veggies and milk the past couple of weeks and heavy on junk and I'm sure that had it's effect. My challenge for this week is that we're going for pizza on Friday night with friends. It will be deep dish and it will be delicious. So I'm going to have to plan on holding on to my flex points so I can enjoy a second piece without worrying.

Have a great day.

Carla
Old 06-16-2004, 09:42 AM   #9  
Canadian, eh?

Good Morning!

Carla - sorry to hear about your frustrating little gain this morning. It bites when you do everything right and then don't see a reward on the scale. Hang in there! You should see some of the rainy conditions people play soccer under here - we tend to get a LOT of rain at times and sometimes the kids are almost drowning and you can't tell one team from the other because they're so muddy.

Four pounds down this morning for a total of eight since starting SBD. Yesterday I got a real urge to have some fruit, so I guess it's time to move on to Phase 2. I'm going to take the dogs to the beach this morning and then head into work around nine. So I'd better get at it and enjoy the glorious sunny day that's emerging.

Have a great one!!

Karen
Old 06-16-2004, 10:08 AM   #10  

Carla – I’m sorry about the disappointing weigh in but I think you are right about the balance of foods – there’s a lot of salt in junk food which could also be a cause of the disappointing weigh in. Good plan on saving up your flex points for Friday night – yum, when I was in Chicago last year, I had some of the famous deep dish and it was yummy!

Karen – WoW! What a weigh in - how long have you been on it?? Phase I is at least 2 weeks – 2 weeks without fruit?? That would be hard. I think I’m going to see how I do during the summer with a lot of exercise and really trying to stay OP – I would have to miss even a week of summer fruits – I love ‘em! Enjoy your beautiful sunny day.

Well, it’s done – I finished the unit plan at 11:00 last night and promptly made myself a Cosmo! It was well deserved but it probably wasn’t too smart because I had some salty snacks with the drink – thankfully, Tony’s ton of cashews is almost gone – I’m going to ask him to please get peanuts next time – they really don’t tempt me like cashews. I used a lot of FP’s but now that I have my last class tonight (for a week and a half anyway) so I should be able to exercise Thurs & Fri and earn some AP’s. Good thing too because we are having pizza in class tonight (but I’ll just have 1 slice – it will probably be cold, anyway) and there is another shower here tomorrow!!!!!

Have a great one!
Judy
Old 06-16-2004, 12:08 PM   #11  
Canadian, eh?

Judy - I've been on phase one for 2 1/2 weeks. I'll start phase 2 tomorrow if I make it to the grocery store by then. The time without fruit hasn't been so bad - but I didn't really give it much thought. I guess if you convinced yourself that you couldn't do without it it would be that much harder. However, I'm happy to trade 8 lbs for two weeks without fruit, so it works for me. I'm sure I'll be much more appreciative of fruit when I start eating it again. It feels like I'm always munching on some kind of veggie, so there's lots of fresh crunchy things to eat.
Old 06-16-2004, 12:43 PM   #12  

Karen - Congrats on a terrific loss - both this week's and overall. Seems like doing SBD is a good choice for you. Smart, too, to listen to your urge for fruit and start Phase II. Eat a peach for me! Anything else get added back in that phase besides fruit? I guess when you get a lot of rain, you have to keep up your sports activities in spite of it or no one would get to play. Rain never hurt anyone, although I'd hate to have to wash the muddy uniforms.

Judy - Good for you for having that well-deserved Cosmo. Congrats on making it through another class. I guess it might be easier to do SBD in the winter when the fruit in the store is nothing to get excited about. I can't wait until our farmer's market starts - I believe next week - so I can get some good berries.

I'm planning on making myself a nice chopped salad for lunch with some bleu cheese dressing that I'll make from bleu cheese crumbles, ff sour cream and ff mayo. I should get a lovely salad for 2-3 points. Works for me.

Carla
Old 06-17-2004, 10:18 AM   #13  

Karen - yes, you are right - if I tell myself I can't do without fruit for 2 weeks it WOULD make it harder. I think the key for me is whether or not Tony would go along - because otherwise he'll be munching on watermelon and I'll be drooling. I got a file from the SBD thread that I have to read - and I think I'm going to give myself a few weeks to see if I can get back on track and start losing again. If not, I may start in July - I'd like to be in better shape when we go to the beach in August. If I do it though, I think I'll do the SBD with counting points that I've been reading about in the SBD forum here. Oh, and I'd have to talk to Tony about dinner for a couple of weeks while I can't have pasta.

Carla - the chopped salad sounds yummy - I'll bet it was. I've been having a salad with pieces of chicken breast that's been very satisfying. Hmmm, I'll have to try to make a lower fat bleu cheese dressing as you've done.

I'm free for a week and half!!! I'm going to the library after work and getting a book to read - for pleasure! I managed to have only 1 piece of pizza in class (it was still warm) but I snacked on too many (fairly) healthy things and used up all my FP's. I'll be exercising when I get home today and will have to exercise in the morning tomorrow (Tony is picking up Anthony and I'm going to meet them at the pool).

Gotta go, more later about my challenging weekend!
Judy
Old 06-17-2004, 02:31 PM   #14  

My weekend is bound to be a challenging one. We are going over to the friends who introduced us. That means plenty to drink and paddling around in their pool. In the past, we've usually grilled but since she hasn't been feeling all that well, they called and asked about us just getting some take-out Chinese. I said sure - plus, I agreed to bring a baked brie appetizer (!). Not the best way to start my week. I'm thinking of calling to ask if she has salsa and suggest that I bring some veggies - at least that way, I have a chance of not using all my FP's in one day. Sunday, we might be getting together with Krista, her boyfriend (and hopefully Anthony too). I have no clue what we're going to do about eating. Again, my plan is to exercise in the morning and do my best. Sigh, not a good beginning to what is going to be a challenging week next week (last week of work-school, 2 dinners out, one lunch out, oy!)

Have a great one,
Judy
(from way too hot and humid Long Island, NY and no air conditioning in the classroom)
Old 06-17-2004, 03:05 PM   #15  

Hi all.

Judy - Yay - you're free, you're free. Well, at least for a while. Enjoy your book. What did you choose? I just got done reading The Devil in the White City. Very interesting and a quick read. I think you're best off trying to stay on track for a few weeks before you make a decision about the SBD. Right now I think you're too ambivalent about it. And you're right - if Tony isn't on board, having two different ways of eating in one house could be difficult. You do have a challenging weekend ahead of you, but you can do it. Think positively and plan ahead and you'll be fine. Why don't you just go ahead and bring some salsa and veggies along with your baked brie appetizer so you have something to nibble on. Tell yourself you'll be happy with a small bit of the brie, if any at all. After all, it's not the last time you'll ever be able to have it right? As for the Chinese food - all in moderation. Now, can you throw my words right back at me tomorrow when I start stressing about going out for pizza? Easy to say, hard to do and all that. Seriously, you'll be fine this weekend. I know you can do it.

The chopped salad was good yesterday. So good I had it again today. I have to play around with the amount of mayo and sour cream I use in proportion to the bleu cheese in the dressing. It wasn't quite bleu cheesy enough. But it was still good - a lot better than the fat free stuff out of the bottle. It's amazing what a long way a little fresh bleu cheese can go. I ended up my day at target. I would have been under except for some late night snacking. I think that's been part of my problem too and I'd better cut it out if I want to see that good loss next week. On the bright side, I got in all my veggies and milk yesterday, so it was a far better day, balance-wise, than I've had in awhile. Now if I can just get my butt in gear and start exercising again...

Have a great day.

Carla

Last edited by cece; 06-17-2004 at 03:07 PM.
Closed Thread