Closed Thread

Old 06-13-2004, 06:57 PM   #1  
si, si signora

Default Thin for life - Week of June 14, 2004

Happy Flag Day.

I started the thread early, I hope you don't mind.

I am at work doing mindless data entry and avoiding starting my paper. I ended up having a software liscencing issue on Friday that sucked up all my paper thinking energy.

I weighed in on Saturday, up .5. I am not pleased, but as I was driving to my meeting I realized that if I don't commit at least 75% I shouldn't see results. Yup, I am fooling myself here and wasting good hard cash and good hard sleep time.

So, what did I do? I ate too much yesterday and on the way today.

I need to start journalling again.

Having DP back is nice, but I am feeling like she is sabotaging my efforts. I don't think she means to, but for her giving food to someone is a sign of caring. I am running screaming (at first) from the heavenly stuff she brought back from Portland and then eating it, so what does that make me?

Any how, its either gone (me, friends coming over for dinner) or put away and I need to have a talk with her. I am really trying to get 10 off this summer and 5 off before my birthday.

She is just like her father sometimes.

For all you single folks out there -- before you commit to a LTR, open your potential squeeze's fridge, if its full of food (good or bad, what ever), it'll give you an idea of how they deal with food. Next, go to their parent's house and see what their fridge looks like. Then you can either run screaming or enjoy the rest of your life together.

Okay, I'm done venting.

Tonight, we're having basil, tomato and mozz over fresh spinach pasta and fresh asparagus and freshly picked raspberries for dessert.

Have a great beginning of the week ladies, mine is super short (Germany on Thursday ) and then home for two whole weeks.

lala
Old 06-14-2004, 07:48 AM   #2  

Good morning everyone. The day's off to a sunny start here on the east coast.

lala, I liked your statement about the 75% effort. My weight is dismal. I need to get to a meeting and attend regularly until these extra pounds are gone. I feel awful, but I'm also caught in that catch 22 - don't want to weigh in until the scale numbers look a little better, but they probably won't until I start attending meetings regularly. Will someone please give me a gentle nudge toward my local WW centre??

I was sick for most of the weekend. Not violently ill, but some nasty stomach bug that kept me nauseated from Friday morning until late last night. Not a very nice way to celebrate the big 5-0, was it? That's right, I turned 50 on Friday.

DH gave me a week in Bermuda to be taken sometime in early fall. I love Bermuda - we were there about 10 years ago and I've dreamed about returning but it's very pricey and we just never got around to it. Anyway, we're going back!! Also received lots of good wishes along with a wonderful spa gift certificate from my family which I will put to good use too.

Haven't run in a while due to travel and sickness. I have dragon boat practice tonight, but I'll be hitting the road tomorrow night for sure. I miss my runs.

Hi Melissa, Domina and Pam.
Old 06-14-2004, 08:28 AM   #3  

Height: 5'7"

Lala: I'm right there with you on being committed. I need to get my butt in gear and stop making excuses. I've had more than my share of chips and junk this past weekend and I can feel it. Your dinner sounds wonderful! I think we're grilling chicken tonight. My DH does the same thing with food--he doesn't do it on purpose but doesn't realize how hard it is to bypass the goodies. *sigh*

Susan: Happy Birthday, Susan!!! Sounds like you had a nice day. As far as getting to a meeting--you know you'd feel better if you attended and no matter what the scale indicates it's a step forward. I know for myself that if I didn't get to a meeting that things would start to spiral and it'd be so easy to say, "Next week I'll go and WI" and keep doing it.

Well we're heading into our first orientation and it's going to be a crazy week--I need to get a grip and get moving. This morning I was so tired and had all I could do to get up and moving. I need to get a walk in at some point today and I know it'll help.

Hi to Domina, Pam!
Old 06-14-2004, 09:25 AM   #4  

Height: 6'0"

Hi, everyone.

It was very hot here this weekend and I think that has something to do with my eating. You ask "why would that matter?" Well, I haven't been cooking as much, so it's grab this here and grab that there. I know it's not healthy eating and the scale shows it. I haven't lost any of my vacation gain. I'm so mad at myself. I'm eating junk food, etc. Aaaargh! I need to weigh in tonight or tomorrow. I just need to get it over with. I can see my leader looking at the gain wondering what I'm doing!!

lala, it's nice when people give us gifts, but too bad when it's fattening foodstuffs. Germany, I envy you. I was supposed to go there next year and just found out the tour was cancelled. I'm bummed.

Melissa, I know how you feel. I just need some motivation period.

Susan, I'm sorry, but I missed the explanation about dragon boats. What are they?
Yep, you need to go a meeting; it will help.

Hi, Pam.
Old 06-14-2004, 12:48 PM   #5  
si, si signora

Hi everyone,

Thanks for listening in on my rant. I was just frustrated. I went to the gym and that helped and chugged down 64 oz. of water.

I am happy that the junk is gone, but we're having company tomorrow night. I am going to either do a grilled salmon with parsely pesto or pork tenderloin with some sort of green paste (parsely coming out of our ears), some sort of starch and salad. We have soo much lettuce and a cornmeal cake with fresh strawberries. I am hoping to send the rest of the cornmeal cake home with my guests.

I did sort of joke with DP about all the food, but I think its time for some "straight talk".

Had my first gin and tonic with diet tonic last night. It wasn't soo bad. I should figure out the points for that.

Susan, many happy returns! The trip to Bermuda is with DH?

Domina-- In your kind of hot weather, I could see how turning on the oven would be awful. I think the latest Real simple has a bunch of great dinner salads that don't require cooking anything. I can mail them to you if you want.

Melissa -- I can't believe orientation has already started. Our graduation just happened. I am starting the 10 extra minutes of exercise thing today. I need to get my butt in gear.

Okay, I've written a small novel.

lala
Old 06-14-2004, 01:38 PM   #6  

Hi again. Sounds like we're all in a bit of a slump as far as weight control is concerned. I know I need to get to a meeting; it's facing the numbers on the scale - as if they're not real at home or something....Sigh - I'm going to amass some courage this week and make a clean start on the weekend (again).

Dragon boats are like war canoes, Domina, only bigger. They hold 20 paddlers and a drummer. You paddle while seated, in unison, and if you do it right, you win all the races :smile: Our first race is at 10 a.m. on Wednesday.

lala: Meant to comment on your rant. I have the same kind of partner; he loves food and doesn't have to work very hard to stay slim, so I need all kinds of self-control and don't always find a way to resist. Like strawberry/rhubarb pie - that he brought home on Friday nite - for himself but you-know-who is eating it right along with him. BTW, when I'm not at home, he has ground beef and hot dogs in the refrigerator in massive amounts; he goes for quantity, not quality.

Melissa: See above re partners who can eat anything. Regarding my b-day, it really wasn't very good because of the way I was feeling. I'm hoping things will be better as this 50 thing swings into full gear.
Old 06-14-2004, 01:53 PM   #7  

Susan, thanks for the explanation of the dragon boat. That sounds like fun. Oh, and I forgot to mention "Happy Birthday." Welcome to the land of 50-year-olds. I had mine in April. It's not so bad; I'm surviving.

lala, yes, please send the recipes to me. You're right about not turning on the oven. I just find that I pick at whatever's around when I get hungry. Danger, danger.
Old 06-14-2004, 07:25 PM   #8  

Hi ladies,

I'm going to jump right in and join you in the rant on bad eating. I have been really bad. I start the day off with the best intentions. I journal breakfast and lunch most days and then by evening I am starving so I munch while I make dinner then I get discouraged and don't finish the journal for the day. Why I continue to do this I don't know. When I grocery shop I try to buy healthy foods, my DH is very overweight but likes to eat everything and anything he wants. My kids are both thin and like to have the "snacks" around the house. Unfortunately DH ends up eating most of them. Sigh.....sometimes it all gets very frustrating.

Susan Happy Happy Birthday to you!!! Bermuda, what a lovely trip. I went in 1995 and would love to go back again. I didn't get to see much of Hamilton, spent a lot of time in St Georges. Wonderful weather and very nice people. Thanks for the explanation on dragon boat racing, sounds like fun and a bit of a workout!!

Lala enjoy your trip to Germany. I am green with envy also. I would love to go there someday.

Domina wish me luck tomorrow in my golf tournament. It should be interesting. The weather is going to be a little iffy. Thunderstorms in the morning and hot and humid later in the day. Not the best conditions for sure.

Melissa Hope all is well with you. Do you and your kids have anything special planned for Fathers Day?

Well I should get going. Hope you all had a nice day..will talk to you soon.
Old 06-15-2004, 07:41 AM   #9  

Went to WI last night--up 2#. I expected it, but it's still disappointing. I'm just eating too much junk food!! I don't necessarily have it in the house, but when I'm out and about, I grab it. At least I'm still exercising and drinking my water.

The play rehearsals are going well; I've got one script memorized and the other one is almost there.

Pam, may your ball stay on the fairway tomorrow! I'm in a tournament on Saturday and then another one on 3 July. They're both going to be fun and lots of good prizes!! Of course, I could only win if it's a true drawing.

That's tough to have family members eating all the snacks.

Hello to Melissa, Susan and lala.
Old 06-15-2004, 11:44 AM   #10  

Height: 5'7"

Good morning!

Well yesterday was frustrating since our server was down all day and all of my documents are stored there--this morning I'm playing catch up!

It's a humid 75 here this morning so walking is going to be minimal. I may see if my friend wants to meet me after I get done at WW this evening and walk a little. I need to move more. I'm tired and I know it's due in part to stress and not getting enough exercise.

Lala: My mom enjoyed her visit to German back in '89 and would love to go back. She raved about the breads there.

Domina: I understand about the junk food--I can do so well and then just "grab" and it's down hill. I did really well all day yesterday and then in the evening DS #1 and I were sitting in the kitchen chatting and I started cracking open peanuts *sigh* I need to watch the night time snacking as it's not getting better.

Pam: I'm in the same boat with having foods around the house--DH has put on some weight (20-25#) since his injury and eats the snacks I get for the kids; he did mention last evening that he's trying to curb the night time snacking and eat yogurt instead. I tend to "slack" later in the evening. Like you, I do well keeping my journal through dinner, then I have the "blank space"...let's try to keep a "complete" journal today

Well, things in the office are crazy and it's going to get worse before it gets better. I do have to say I have a love-hate relationship with this time of year.
Old 06-15-2004, 12:33 PM   #11  
si, si signora

Hi Ladies,

Pam -- good luck on the golf tournament.

Domina -- I'll post the recipes, but they are not that WW friendly, however, everything can be adapted, right.

Melissa - I hate computer problems. Everything needs to be on a centralized server, but when you can't get to that. Grrr. I don't know what to say about DH, he's probably frustrated as well, he seems like an active guy.

Well, last night we went out for mexican. I had a few chips and two small soft tacos with chicken and pork. No sides, so I feel okay today. I did have a bit of DP's fresh lemon ice cream. Looks like the girl brought home another quarter of straight As for something like 7 in row.

Other than that, guests tonight, haircut and too much work.

lala
Old 06-15-2004, 12:39 PM   #12  

lala, hey, I'm getting a haircut too tonight. It must be in the air.

I had veggies for lunch, so I'm trying ladies. I put together a soup in the crockpot this morning, so that should be good for dinner. Now if I can just ignore the snacks.
Old 06-15-2004, 12:46 PM   #13  

Hi everyone. Posting from home today since i woke up feeling terrible - again. It's been TOM for 25 days and counting (with a three day break that ended yesterday). I wonder if that has something to do with how I'm feeling.

BTW, I got my hair cut on Friday, so yes, there's something in the air.

Dragon boat practice last nite was great. If I'm feeling better, I'm going for a run tonite. That's a big IF..

I'll try to post more later. Time to go lie down again.
Old 06-15-2004, 01:07 PM   #14  
si, si signora

I'm getting mine cut and colored. Whoo hooo. Big change for me, however, the color is tomorrow as I'm still a bit apprehensive.

Susan -- Is it perimenopause for you? That much bleeding is not good. Take some advil and call the doctor.

Okay, back to work, my boss is back from Iceland and I'm sure its going to be fun, fun, fun.

lala
Old 06-15-2004, 09:41 PM   #15  

Hi Ladies,

The golf tournament went well but it was very hot 93 degrees!!! It was a best ball tournament and it seemed like one of us always came through with a pretty good shot when we really needed it. We had a dinner after the tournament and I ate WAY TOO MUCH..... Couldn't pass up the oreo cookie ice cream pie.

Domina at the golf dinner they raffled off a lot of prizes and I won a $300 Titleist putter. I was so happy..I never win anything at these raffles. Good luck with your tournament later this week..hope your weather is better than what we had today..although I should be happy at least we didn't get the thunderstorms they were predicting.

Susan Sorry to hear that you are having TOM issues. You must be feeling very tired after having your period that long. I am sometimes a little anemic and if I had my period that long I would be totally wiped out. I agree with Lala..probably time to see the doctor.

Melissa sounds like work is very hectic for you. Do you have a vacation coming up soon??

Lala is DP done with school for the summer months? It sounds like she is doing terrific. Lemon ice cream is one of my favorites. Yum!!!

Well I should sign off..my darling daughter wants to use the computer to chat with her friends. Hope you all had a wonderful day!
Closed Thread