Exercise! - Calculating Elliptical Exersize??

View Full Version : Calculating Elliptical Exersize??

The Lumpy Shadow
06-13-2004, 05:18 PM
I am using this tool which helps calculate the amount of calories burned in a day and it doesn't have using an elliptical as one of the options. It does have treadmill, but an elliptical burns 2x as much as a treadmill. Jogging is also listed. I know that using the elliptical FEELS like jogging, and I wonder if measuring caloric burn, they could be considered equal to each other. Any thoughts?

P.S. One thing I DO know is that REAL jogging is out of the question due to a knee injury...

MichelleRae
06-13-2004, 06:47 PM
Hmmmm thats a tough one, but maybe if you do the amount of calories that would be burned on a treadmill times 2, lol I'm really not sure though :) Good for you getting that exercise in :) Keep up the great work!!

Michelle

lessofsarahtolove
06-13-2004, 10:05 PM
Have you tried googling it? At work I bookmarked a great site that has the caloric expenditure rates by the pound, by the minute, for a bazillion activities -- and I found it by doing a Google search for that sort of thing. I'll take a look at work tomorrow and see if I can't find a link for you. I don't know if it will have the elliptical listed, but we can hope, right? :crossed:

I just checked my nutrition/exercise software, which calculates my calories burned for all my exercise and daily activities by my weight, but it doesn't have the elliptical listed! Interesting.

I'll be back in touch tomorrow.

MichelleRae
06-13-2004, 11:05 PM
Ha I found one that I use, I do use fitday but I find that it under counts the calories burned by ALOT!! Anyway here's the link http://www.ahealthyme.com/topic/minicalburn

Michelle

MichelleRae
06-13-2004, 11:06 PM
uhhh sorry, lol that one doesn't have elliptical either lol. I'll find you one that does. :)
Michelle

MichelleRae
06-13-2004, 11:24 PM
http://www.nutrio.com/servlet/nutrio?page=62&cat=0

Heres one for you that has the elliptical listed. I hope that helps. Keep up those workouts!!

Michelle

The Lumpy Shadow
06-14-2004, 07:45 AM
I looked at that site, but I realized that it doesn't take into account reisistance level (my elliptical has 10 settings) and RPM, which makes a significant difference, I would think.

I would use the calculator on my elliptical, but the weight meter doesn't go high enough.

Maybe there is a site specifically geared towards ellipticals that might help?

BTW, I am using Fitday...I thought it OVER calculated calories..at least in what I burn in basal and lifestyle...but heck, if it under calculates, it'll just make me work harder to get a goal caloric burn, right?

MichelleRae
06-14-2004, 08:48 AM
Lumpy - I find that fitday will tell me I only burn like 175 calories for 60 minutes of moderate aerobic activity and all other calculators say much more so I have decided to go with majority lol.

Michelle

lessofsarahtolove
06-14-2004, 12:14 PM
Well it seems that you've got it pretty much under control, but here's (http://www.thesexdiet.com/4/calories-per-pound.html) a site that offers links to a number of calories-by-pound resources. Maybe you can find the very specific thing that you're looking for. Good luck to you!

carito
06-14-2004, 10:01 PM
I don't know, when I got to the gym, the ellipticals and the treadmills there give me the calorie count. For instance, 750 cal per hour if I go on the elliptical a bit under 60 (I think it's revolutions per minute, but I am not sure). Treadmill also gives the speed and cals, so the next time you exercise, record the expproximate number of calories the machine shows after the end of the workout.