Cooking Tips and Questions - Favorite cooking tools

View Full Version : Favorite cooking tools

mauvaisroux
06-13-2004, 05:00 PM
I love my George Foreman Grill. I use it a lot in the summer so I don't have to heat up the kitchen. My crockpot is also one of my favorite kitchen items - I enjoy the conveniece and the smell of stew or chili simmering throughout the day on a cold winter afternoon.

Best buy ever- a professional chef's knife set - one large knife, one bread knife and one paring knife with a sharpener included. These cut like a dream, wash well and are a joy to work with - well worth the money and I have had the same set for years.

blugirrl1
06-14-2004, 08:10 PM
my wok
my stainless steel steamer
my now dead rice cooker was a fav.
crockpots rule in the winter. :)

KidzRN
07-10-2004, 07:32 AM
mortar and pestal and a coffee grinder ...for fresh spices.....fresh cracked pepper...ground cinnamon sticks

Suzanne 3FC
07-11-2004, 07:14 AM
My potato ricer, which I use for squeezing the water out of spinach.

My one and only Wusthof knife, which has left me dreaming of more, the way some women dream of shoes or jewelry.

My garlic slicer, it whizzes out paper thin slivers of garlic.

KidzRN
07-11-2004, 09:35 PM
I have never seen a garlic slicer!! I thought I had every kitchen tool where do you get one? what do they look like?

Suzanne 3FC
07-12-2004, 02:50 AM
Here's one: Garlic Slicer (http://www.tabletools.com/tabletools/showdetl.cfm/3612/bodum_milano_garlic_slicer.html) You put the garlic inside, twist the knob, and paper thin slices come out of the bottom. It was actually an accidental purchase, I thought I was ordering something else. I do love it though!

KidzRN
07-13-2004, 09:47 AM
Oh my gosh I love it and I am going to order one today!!!...I grow a raised bed full of garlic every year and this would be wonderful! Thank you so much!!! Gadgets are so much fun when they have such a practical purpose!!!!

LKTS
07-14-2004, 12:12 PM
I have a garlic press that I love, particularly because you don't have to peel the garlic beforehand - just put it in, and out comes tiny bits of garlic!

I also use my electric water kettle a lot, not just for tea and such but also for warming water for boiling pasta etc., since my stove is sloooooowwww. And a hand juicer, since we get a lot of fresh citrus.

And I adore my Oxo knives.

Suzanne 3FC
07-24-2004, 10:14 AM
I love my Foodsaver. I cook for one, so I always have leftovers. I also make homemade frozen dinners, such as seafood lasagna, spinach casserole, etc. I tried a cheap knockoff once, I think it was made by Deni, and I could have done a better job with a ziploc baggie and a straw to suck the air out. The foodsaver was a good purchase.

mauvaisroux
07-24-2004, 10:23 AM
I have one of those too! It is awesome :)

Suzanne 3FC
09-12-2004, 11:09 AM
Feemster slicer (http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=7243&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=45&iSubCat=223&iProductID=7243) :) I've had mine for ages, and Mom used one when we were growing up. It's cheap, but sturdy and extremely sharp. Be careful or you'll slice your fingers off!

Morrganna
01-24-2005, 08:54 PM
I love, love, love my kitchenaide mixer. And my stainless stell wok. And my stainless steel large soup pot! Stainless is so easy to clean. I love my gas stove too.

janann
05-01-2005, 08:22 AM
I just made fresh carrot juice in my juicer. Yummm! Very quick and easy way to get in some of the required vegetables/fruits a day. I have the Jack Lalanne Power Juicer which I got from E-Bay. I have made pear/grape and apple pear and a few other ones. They also had them at one time on HSN, too.

Ferret
06-13-2005, 01:18 PM
I love my george foreman grill as well...so nice...I also rely on my air popper for when i need a popcorn fix (white, not yellow ;) ) and I think I need to swipe my parents' juicer for a bit and see if I can mess with it

hefty1
01-12-2006, 03:24 PM
the telephone for the non cooks to order out glen

Kamily828
01-12-2006, 03:54 PM
I love my Rotisserie. We love chicken and pork chops fixed in it. Also love my new food processor.

margaret1975109
03-05-2006, 01:02 PM
I can't live without my vegetable steamer/rice cooker. It makes fresh veggies tast soooo yummy:chef:

Mummy_Tummy
03-07-2006, 12:17 PM
I love my Misto because you just add oil of choice (EVOO in my case) and then pump and spray. I use much less that way and it's also cheaper and more environmentally friendly than aerosol sprays like Pam or Fry Light. I also love my steamer, my wok, my electric kettle and my big old-fashioned, well-seasoned cast iron skillet. True, I don't fry chicken in it anymore but I'm very emotionally invested in it!

Mummy_Tummy
03-07-2006, 12:24 PM
Oops! Can't believe I forgot my adorable fajita skillets! Individual serving sizes and have their own wooden base so presentation is quite pleasing, too!

hefty1
06-03-2006, 09:58 AM
microwave for reheating. :) glen

BridgetJFan
06-03-2006, 11:08 PM
I love my magic bullet. So much easier for diet shakes and smoothies. Easier to clean. BJF

penpal
06-04-2006, 11:36 AM
I use my immersion (stick) blender almost every day, also my drink blender for smoothies. I also wouldn't be without my electric kettle for boiling water for tea and my little expresso machine for my daily latte!

Misti in Seattle
06-04-2006, 10:00 PM
George Foreman grill, crockpot, steamer, coffee grinder, microwave, blender.

What is a Foodsaver???

mauvaisroux
06-06-2006, 01:26 PM
It's a small kitchen appliance that you use to take the air out of freezer bags when you are freezing food. It comes with a roll of bags that you can cut to whatever size you need. You put your food in, place the edges of the bag around the suction nozzle, press a button and voila! The air is all sucked out. You then press another button and the bag is sealed with heat along the edges and then you can toss the food into the freezer.

I've had mine for years and use it to divide things into two person portions. I also use it for freezing cheese and blanched summer vegetables or berries that I use during the winter. It's really handy and a great item for saving money :)

Blinky963
04-19-2011, 04:39 PM
Definitely my G foreman, misto, and digital scale.

I used to kinda be known for my killer (now, literally) brownies. For Christmas last year I was given one of those "as seen on TV" brownie pans that divides the pan into 18 squares. It sat around for a while because I didn't really know what to do with it.
Recently I started making my own granola and granola bars to have more control over the calories and the content (ie, cut out the poison sweeteners and preservatives) and I found that the silly little divider pan is perfect for making equal little granola bar squares in perfect little portions.
It can also help with baked things (cake, corn bread) that are easy to over eat when you are in control of cutting your own portions. One tip is to fashion a little "boat" under it with some tin foil to catch anything that leaks from the bottom (think- spring form pan without the pressure clasp). Works better with thicker batters.

Morethananumber
04-19-2011, 05:13 PM
the oven (for making bread), Crockpot, and my teapot (for making iced tea)

and i want a magic bullet!!!! :(

fatgyrl
07-09-2011, 05:00 PM
My toaster oven (which is also a Rotisserie) my water cooler that has instant hot, my electric kettle, coffee grinder and french press when I have good coffee beans, my rice cooker (because brown rice is a PITA to fool with otherwise) and my kitchenaide stand mixer.... I am my Grandma Sally's granddaughter, I could go on and on.... lol

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wXBLCrD/exercise.png
(http://www.TickerFactory.com/exercise/wXBLCrD/)

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wtp2cDF/exercise.png
(http://www.TickerFactory.com/exercise/wtp2cDF/)
7hrs met Fri

tommy
07-09-2011, 07:14 PM
Good tongs - have had my Williams Sonoma ones for at least 10 years and use them almost daily.

Kitchen scissors that separate for cleaning. I use them also almost daily to snip fresh herbs, cut bite size pieces of cooked proteins, and in my pizza days they were the most excellent way to cut slices.

Riesz
04-03-2012, 02:22 PM
I love my Foreman grill. I have a HUGE one and use it almost everyday. I wish it had removable plates though.

My favourite pan is a non-stick "chicken fryer." It's a very large frying pan with tall sides, about 3" tall. Also came with a very nice lid. I use this pan for EVERYTHING! It's large enough to make chili and other stews but I also use it to make (very large) crepes, sauteeing, steaming, pan-frying, you name it. So versatile!

I just bought a plastic microwave vegetable steamer but I can already tell it will be used almost daily. I throw veggies in the steamer basket, set it over a small bowl of water, and have crisp steamed veggies in just a few minutes! I'm so happy I don't have to boil veggies anymore.

I also have a very nice set of glass baking pans with matching silicone lids. One is 9x9 square and the other 9x11. I use these for everything and just snap the lid right on the pan when I have leftovers.

JEN3
04-06-2012, 11:14 AM
I can't live without my block knife set! And their dishwasher safe.

mirax3
04-06-2012, 11:47 AM
You guys are making me remember some of the kitchen tools I have that I had forgotten I had! :P

This might be silly, but my electric kettle is my favorite thing. Dump water in it, turn it on and a hot cup of tea in the morning when I would otherwise be to lazy to boil water (or even stick the cup in the microwave). :)

pluckypear
04-08-2012, 09:49 AM
My rice cooker.

bargoo
04-08-2012, 10:20 AM
My Keurig coffee brewer, don't know how I ever got along with out it.
I also use a stick blender everyday.

Psychic
02-27-2013, 01:07 PM
Mandolin slicer <3

pluckypear
02-27-2013, 07:53 PM
My coffee maker, a good old brewing type. Coffee is affordable, piping hot and good and strong. I hate the instant individual plastic brew coffee makers out there. Waste, weak, not hot enough and they taste like instant.

healthforlife11
05-19-2014, 10:55 PM
I'm absolutely obsessed with my Vitamix! I use it every single day and it never disappoints. So worth the price because of the wonderful benefits. If you are trying to eat clean this is a necessary piece of equipment to have! Smoothies, dressings, nut butters, soups, even ice cream! I highly recommend it!

Novus
05-20-2014, 12:04 AM
Cuisinart Food Processor. I use it so much that I think I would have a weepy meltdown if it stopped working.

Le Creuset French Press. Morning isn't morning without it.

Gefu Spiral Slicer. Z'oodles! (zucchini noodles). And more.

Bluapple. Toss it in the produce drawer of your fridge and stuff stays fresh waaaay longer than without it.

Digital scale. It's just some cheap thing from WalMart but my life depends on it.

Kitchen calculator for converting recipes.

Cast iron skillets. Revere Ware saucepans. I cannot cook in anything else.

I don't use many canned goods but I have to mention my Trudeau can opener (http://www.laprimashops.com/Trudeau-Stress-Less-Safety-Opener/dp/B004SIS1SS). I'm left-handed and for years I battled with can openers, even electric ones. My excitement upon discovering how well the Trudeau worked was epic and kinna ridiculous.