South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 06-10-2004, 11:06 PM   #1  

Default Day 4 for Me...

Hi Everyone,

I have just started SBD on Monday. Today is day 4 and still feel like I am struggling. It is not so much that I am "craving" the carbs, it just that I am hungry all the time. I read that I am not suppose to be hungry on this diet, but I am... The worse is when I get home from working out. I feel cold, clammy and nauseous. I am shakey and have to lie down. What am I doing wrong? I am trying really hard to follow Phase I to the T. It is pretty tough though.

On a good note, I did lose 3 pounds already. I hope it will continue because that is all the motivation I have right now...

Looking forward to getting to know everyone.

lisa z.

CW: 154
GW: 130
Old 06-10-2004, 11:16 PM   #2  

Height: 5'-2"

Lisa, eat more! Eat more good carbs... more veggies. And drink more water!! You shouldn't feel hungry. I hate veggies, but you must EAT 'EM!
Old 06-10-2004, 11:58 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 307/187/130

Height: 5'4"

Another thing I'd like to point out is that your body is detoxing you haven't put any refined sugar in your body for 4 days, of course its craving that sugar for energy its not used to it so you are just going through a detox stage just like a drug addict basically!! The shakes and such will pass very soon hang in there girl and like ellis says eat your veggies and drink that water!! Water is so important!!

Good Luck and Welcome to the beach!
Michelle
Old 06-11-2004, 08:36 AM   #4  

welcome to the beach!!! ditto ellis and michelle eat till you are full and drink lots of water.
Old 06-11-2004, 09:34 AM   #5  

I think quite a few of us exercised less during Phase 1 and picked it back up when we started Phase 2. Maybe cut the intensity back a bit.

Lots of beans, lots of veggies. Soups also were good during Phase I.

Good luck! Keep it up and you should be feeling much better soon.
Old 06-11-2004, 10:13 AM   #6  
I graduated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBNewbie
The worse is when I get home from working out. I feel cold, clammy and nauseous. I am shakey and have to lie down.
Hi Lisa,

What you're describing sounds like symptoms of hypoglycemia. Don't let yourself get there! You may need to eat more during the day... as long as you're eating on plan you're okay. Have a rollup or two before or after you work out. Red peppers stuffed with some soft cheese, or tomatos and cottage cheese or something for an extra snack would probably do you good. Have some nuts before you exercise if you can eat them....

Letting myself get hungry was a mistake I made. It helps a lot to eat more of the on plan foods.

Pay attention to your body... if you're feeling hungry you just might be! Rmember to get plenty of water too...

At the begining I felt so hungry, especially iin the afternoon. After adding in an extra snack I'm feeling ever so much better about that (of course being sick these last few days has done wonders for my appetite )

Keep going!

Old 06-11-2004, 11:08 AM   #7  

Unhappy I'm in the same boat, Lisa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADDflower
At the begining I felt so hungry, especially iin the afternoon. After adding in an extra snack I'm feeling ever so much better about that
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleRae
Another thing I'd like to point out is that your body is detoxing you haven't put any refined sugar in your body for 4 days, of course its craving that sugar for energy its not used to it so you are just going through a detox stage just like a drug addict basically!!
I'm FULLY in Lisa's boat, you guys. Yesterday at about 4pm, I had a headache, felt really lethargic and crappy. So I had a cup and a half of skim milk, and INSTANTLY felt better. Went home, made a HUGE dinner of veggies with a chicken breast on the grill (oh baby, I love summer) -- I was stuffed. And I drank so much water all day, it was getting ridiculous with running to the bathroom.

But, not two hours later, I was HUNGRY AGAIN!! Even my boyfriend, who ate with me... same dinner exactly... wasn't hungry. What GIVES? I mean, really, is it just my imagination? Will this pass?

I plugged in my foods from yesterday into fitday[dot]com, and I was at about 1400 calories for the day so I'm not lacking at all.

Ladies? Please advise. I want to feel full and satisfied.
Old 06-11-2004, 10:45 PM   #8  

Thanks everyone.. I went to my doc for my annual today and she pretty much told me the same thing you guys did. I am hypoglycemic and I need to either cut down on the intensity of my workout OR have some orange juice afterwards. I told her that OJ is not legal on this diet, but she said a few sips won't hurt... I think it is a dangerous road to travel... hmmm, a few sips won't hurt, a few bites won't hurt... before you know it, I am no longer on the diet... so I guess I will lower the intensity of my workouts for the next 9 days...

thanks again,
lisa z.
Old 06-14-2004, 04:13 PM   #9  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Hi!

As a fellow hypoglycemic, I totally relate to what you guys are describing! Being hypoglycemic means that all the ups and downs that normal people experience when they OD on carbs are at least double as high and double as low for us. When you get like that, you need to eat to bring your blood sugar back up, but I totally disagree with your doc and think you should get a second opinion.

With diabetics, who need to get their blood sugar up from dangerously low levels, OJ is a good option. For us, who are unlikely to get to very dangerous levels (you may pass out, but I've never heard of a hypoglycemic who goes into a diabetic coma), having protein is the best way out. If you have protein, it normalizes your blood sugar. It takes longer than eating sugar, but it brings the blood sugar back to normal, rather than driving it back up. Drinking OJ will make you go back up again, but you'll crash even harder than before. At that rate, you'll just continue to yo-yo to the point where'll you'll pass out, and you'll go drastically OP in the process. One thing you can do is have the sip of OJ, then eat some protein. This will bring the sugar back up so you feel better, then stablize so you don't crash again. I don't think you really need to do the OJ thing unless you are in a huge hurry or dangerous situation (like driving and afraid you'll faint) and can't wait for the protein to take effect.

The reason the milk makes you feel better is that it is high in sugar. However, it also has protein and the sugar it contains will not make your blood sugar rise as high as the OJ would (i.e. the glycemic index levels for each).

So, Lisa, try drinking some milk if you feel like you are going to faint, otherwise, go for some nuts, beans, cheese, or meat. I've only had OJ once to help a hypo. episode, and that was the time I actually fainted.

I hope that helps...I've found that since I got through the tremors during the first three days of Phase 1 I have not had one single episode of hypoglycemia! SBD is a great way to control it!

Last edited by beachgal; 06-14-2004 at 04:26 PM.
Closed Thread