Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 06-09-2004, 08:02 AM   #1  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Default Wednesday, June 9th Chat

Good Morning !!

Boy is it hot here, gonna feel like 105 today, they are saying if you have breathing problems NOT to go out because the humidity is really bad. The good thing is it should break by friday

How's everyone this glorious day?

Cathy, did you ever hear the song "Remember Me" Mark Schultz.... I can't get that song out of my head, its sooooooooo pretty. I think one of the prettiest songs I've ever heard. Girls, this song will bring tears to your eyes.

Here's how it goes:

Remember me
In a Bible cracked and faded by the years

Remember me
In a sanctuary filled with silent prayer

And age to age
And heart to heart
Bound by grace and peace
Child of wonder
Child of God
I've remembered you
Remember me

Remember me
When the color of the sunset fills the sky
Remember me
When you pray and tears of joy
fall from your eyes

chorus
Remember me
When the children leave
their Sunday school with smiles

Remember me
When they're old enough to teach
Old enough to preach
Old enough to leave

chorus
Age to age and heart to heart
Child of wonder child of God
Remember me

Age to age and heart to heart
Child of wonder child of God

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh gives me goose bumps.

Anyway, how is everyone today? tis hump day ya know

I brought my stretchy elastic band thingys' to work today to do some exercise b/c tonight I have therapy and don't think I'll be able to do it then. I think I have therapy hmmm, I better call huh lol haaaaaa!!.

TTYL, time to EAT!!!
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 10:14 AM   #2  

Well I am here, tired but here. Cin you asked yesterday how much longer I am going to be working. Well, the first date I thought it would be was July 28th. But, Since i wont be done with school until Aug 20 I figured I would just stay here until then. All I can say is that hte big guy is going to have to sit down when I tell him. I can't even imagine what he is going to do when he finds out. I have come to terms with the fact that it is his problem b/c I am out of here!

I have been reading that book and finding some really good info. I have highlighted some passages in it too. I will have to post one of them today. It really hits a nerve if you are a compulsive eater. She is really good in making you think about what it was that happened as a child that makes you use food in this way. I keep going back to this one time with my dad. I don't seem to be seeing any other time so I guess that is when it all started.

I'll be back in a little bit.

Leens how is the therapy coming?
Kempyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 10:21 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 209/179/160

Height: 5'3"

Good Morning Gang!

hey there leenie - yes I love that song! now you've got me singing it in my head! oh well - at least it's a good song to get stuck on. I like Mark Schultz! I especially like his song called "He's my son" - have you heard that one? wow!

Leenie - I am so proud of you doing the strength training stuff! YOU GO GIRL. I am so proud of you for finding time at work to do that stuff. You gonna make me get my 5 lb weights out from under my desk and do some day. I can feel it coming on. Does the Kathy Smith tape happened to be called "timesaver - lift weights to lose weights"? I just looked at it at amazon.com and was thinking about ordering it. So you bought a stretchie band thing instead of individual hand weights??? how ya like it? I have a stretchie band thing but the elastic band seems to always end up pinching my skin? mabye I'm just not coordinated. Have fun at therapy tonight and take notes so you can tell us all about it. ;-)

April - enjoy your haircut today. I have one tomorrow. Good for you - not letting the small stuff get to you yesterday!

Cin - I just said another prayer for you! I hope all goes well with that nasty test today! I pray it goes well and that the doctors have wisdom in your situation!

I got to bed at 10 last night so I got up at 5:00 and did a 30 minute 2 mile WATP w/weights and then did situps and leg lifts for my tummy. I am trying so hard to be good.

Warning - major weight ranting to follow....

I don't mean to be negative but I've been feeling down in the dumps about my weight. I know I'm not perfect, but I try so hard to keep my calories around 1000 to 1200 (1400 at the absolutely most), and drink 100 oz of water, and I'm back to exericising 5 days a week - and nothing - no weight loss - no nothing. It is so discouraging sometimes!!! I hate being this size. I am so uncomfortable in my own skin. I have felt like this for.....as long as I can remember and it makes me sad! Last night I had just fixed my salad, and was fixing homemade hot dogs for the guys, with real chili and cheese and onions and they looked so yummy and I just started crying like an idiot - it wasn't that I wanted the hot dog (dang if I did I would have just had one) but it was like this overwhelming pitiful disappointed feeling came over me saying "you eat salad for supper most nights, instead of this kind of stuff and you still weight 205+ - what is the blooming deal! *sigh* ok I'm thru! sorry for being negative.

Soooooooooo what's everybody up to today?

will check back later!

hugs,
cathy
cathyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 10:23 AM   #4  

Morning Kemp! we must have been posting at the same time.
hot over there?
hugs,
cathy
Old 06-09-2004, 10:53 AM   #5  

Cathy I had to get on and post about what you said. I think it was April who talked about that Zig-Zag plan. Well, when you plug in you weight it gives you the cals that you should be eating. When I read about what you were keeping your cals at all I could think about is that you are not eating enough. I know that people don't want to hear that they need to eat more b/c they are trying to lose weight but I deal with this all day here at work. I know thatyou have eebn working really hard and I hate to see that you are so upset. I am going to post the link to the site again and I want you to enter you weight into the chart and see how much it tells you that you need. I think that you will be surprised. Please don't think that I am yelling at you, I just want to help you and nutrition is what I am good at. (I just have a problem with myself stopping the food from going into my mouth)

http://www.naturalphysiques.com/cms/index.php?itemid=64
Old 06-09-2004, 11:14 AM   #6  

Kemp - I hear ya girlie, I really do, but you have to remember that I have low thyroid. I cannot eat more than 1400 calories a day or I gain weight. Dang I even gained weight on Atkins. I kept the carbs to right at 20 grams a day, and stuck it out for 6 weeks, just in case I needed to give it some time - and I gained 4 lbs. That was around Easter of this year. It is crazy! but with low thyroid its all about the calories.

I am on a yahoo low thyroid group and most seem to have the same problem. Some even have to eat less then a 1000 calories a day to lose only 1 pound in 4 to 6 weeks. It is crazy I know, but with low thyroid it is sooooooooooo hard to lose weight. I hear some people say that once you get on the right meds for your thyroid you shouldn't have much trouble losing weight but that doesn't seem to be the case for me.

I think I know that my birth control pills are keeping me feeling hungry - and I do seem to eat more calories on the 21 days that I am taking them. The other 7 days I seem to be able to keep my calories at under 1200 without a problem. I don't know anymore - maybe my birth control pills are keeping me this size - but everyone says they should only make about a 5 lb difference in your weight??? I don't know anymore - I just know that sometimes it finally gets to me - like I said I hate being this size and it is ALWAYS ON MY MIND.

I have been trying to zig zag between 1000, 1200 and 1400 calories, but right now my scale is up, but with me, that could be anything - sometimes my weight will fluctuate 3 to 5 lbs up for no reason that I can figure out.

I really appreciate your help and your advice. I really appreciate you taking the time to talk to me about this stuff, but I've just never been able to eat the amount of calories that everyone says I should be able to eat. I'm just special (or strange)

great big hugs,
cathy
Old 06-09-2004, 11:26 AM   #7  

Sorry, I forgot about your thyroid. Have you ever heard for taking Kelp to help with that? I have look it up on the interner bf and it seems like it might work. I don't know how open you are to alternative medicine but sometimes I think that works better for me that prescriptions do.
Old 06-09-2004, 12:03 PM   #8  

Hey Kemp - I'm open to just about anything girlie! well within reason of course! LOL

I have never heard about taking kelp for low thyroid. I think I will do a search on the internet and see what I find - thanks so much!
hugs,
cathy
Old 06-09-2004, 12:58 PM   #9  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Hi Ladies,

Kem, tonight is my 2nd visit to the therapist, really nothing has happened yet. My last visit was just to get it all off my chest, I'll see where I go tonight and what she wants me to do. I'm glad that book is helping you!! BTW don't worry about your boss, he'll do just fine. Stay focused on YOU! Kem, do you have my email addy at work? I want to send you something from there (can't at yahoo, file's to big) it is sooooo funny, its a clip from the Man Show, I almost pee'd in my pants, anyway if you do have my work addy, send me your email address there and I'll forward it to you.

Cathy, I know how you feel when you said you cried b/c of the food. It really does suck. You know Cathy, the zig zag thing might be good to try out. What I'm trying to do is speed up my metabolism b/c its just sooooooo slow, is to eat 5 meals a day, tiny ones and do the zig zag effect. I wanna experiment to see how and if it works. It says I should have 1800 - 2000 hmmm! I think I'm gonna more like try 1600 - 1800 to start along w/my exercising. Lifting weights builds muscle so I'm not gonna weigh myself until July to see if anything happens. I'm also sticking to atkins, 20 - 30 gms carbs per day. Can't hurt to try. Birth control really doesn't make you gain weight, maybe 5 lbs initially or so but the pills today are so much better than they used to be. I highly doubt it that thats your problem. I know what you mean about feeling hungry during your cycle. Same for me, about a week or so b/4 TOM I get sooo hungry, then a day or two right b/4 auntie flo visits I'm really hungry and craving sweets. This is normal you know, your body is calling for nutrients b/c of whats going on. Hang in there !!

Everyone to come, HOWDY!!
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 01:49 PM   #10  
CIN

Default Howdeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Hi Gals
I lived thru the test and it was 2 1/2 hrs long but not what I was expecting.just drank 2 huge glue like drinks and rolled around on a table..........had blood work too etc.................all over for now! Yeah!

Cathy...................hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm I have low thyroid too however I still dont think you eat enough real food especially with that exercise routine you have going. Would you be afraid to increase your calories? Have you ever tried to for a couple weeks? I sure deal with many people and people who exercise ALWAYS and I mean ALWAYS need more points ( calories) Think about it. I feel bad for you cause I KNOW you work sooooooo hard!! Bless your little heart! I mean that sincerely!

Leens.I love both those songs too! I have one on CD.

I didnt sleep well last night.think I will take a short nap .........

Take Care you all!
Cin
CIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 02:43 PM   #11  

Good morning everyone

Cathy.....I was wondering if you could try for 1 week or 2 to increase your calories....just to see what will happen.

There have been times when I have been in tears over the fact....that I still have to diet after all these years....I say to myself....do I have to do this for the rest of my life....I have been dieting for decades.....ever since I was 13....on & off.

This last week....some days I am not doing very good with eating....I might try to lower my calories a bit....maybe to 1800 or 1900 & zig zag the calories.

I went out for coffee with a friend earlier today.....soon I have to leave for my hair appointment.....see you later.

April
april99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 03:25 PM   #12  

HI everyone........been out and about.....had coffee with a girlfriend this morning and then picked up girls at school and home for lunch.

Getting ready to work tonight.......last swimming lessons and count down to end of soccer.

Making a big effort to hook up with friends and do feel good things...pedicure and brow wax tomorrow and lunch with a girlfriend on sunday.

((((((((((((((((((((((((cathy))))))))))))))))))))) ))))).......sorry you are feeling so discouraged........I don't have any answers for you but I want you to know that my thoughts are with you....

Leens enjoy therapy tonight.......I always looked forward to my sessions.

Kemp glad your dreams are becoming reality

Cin what was the test a BA swallow? I missed the health issues....glad you survived it.

April enjoy your new "do".

Hi to everyone else........I'll try to check in later!

Eliz
liz321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 04:09 PM   #13  
CIN

Liz.......Enteroclysis? I think....but they had me drink instead of putting the tube in the throat. Fun Fun Fun
Cin
Old 06-09-2004, 04:30 PM   #14  

To all my buddies....I really do appreciate all of your support and encouragement and advice! I really do! ya'll are the BEST! THE VERY BEST! *smooch*

I think that the exercise I do doesn't even begin to get my metabolism up to anything close to normal. wish it did, but I'm afraid it doesn't. I would probably have to exercise for a couple of hours everyday to get it up to "normal". My blood pressure is low, my heart rate is low, my temperature is low - everything is just barely running on me. Hmm does that mean I'll last longer then most - probably not! LOL

I have tried increasing my calories many times thru the years - even recently when I was doing atkins and keeping carbs around 20 grams, I know the calorie intake was up from 1200 a day, because I gained 4 lbs. I tried to ride it out, thinking maybe my body would adjust, but after 6 weeks.....well you know the story, and I'm still stuck trying to get lose 4 lbs back off.

Cin - I like to have drove my poor ww leader nuts the last time I went to ww. She spent time with me each week going over my food log, trying to figure out something that would make me lose weight - one week I would eat at the high end of my points (and gain), the next week I would eat at the low end, one week I ate low points one day, high points the next. One week we cut out all cheese, another all carbs, another sugar - everything. I felt bad for her bec she wanted to help me, and I felt bad for me bec nothing would work.

I don't mean to be negative girls - I really don't - but it is just so frustrating. but enough about all that. thanks for all the support and understanding - really!

Cin - that test sounds awful. man - 2 1/2 hours - yikes! when will you know something from the test? keep us posted and I will keep praying for you! hugs

April - how's the new hair do?

Leenie - I'm anxious to hear about your session tonight!

Kemp - stay out of the heat!

Liz - sounds like you're busy as usual. glad you are fitting in some time with friends and for you. A pedicure sounds wonderful! enjoy!

cathy
Old 06-09-2004, 04:55 PM   #15  
CIN

Default for Cathy

Cathy
Do try a variety....it could be your body is saying " Here she comes again with salad!"..........Variety is so important.

There has to be an answer...hang in there!

Later tater
Cin