100 lb. Club - Forgetting what actual portions look like!

suzie1955
06-09-2004, 05:38 AM
A lot times I will estimate on things I eat, unless it's packaged and you know what and how much you are getting. As an experiment I actually weighed how much meat loaf I was having and discover I was having close to 6 oz instead of the 3-4 oz portion size. Egg salad is another one that is really hard, because I figure its just the eggs, when you add the mayo it can add a lot extra calories to it. When you start actually start to measure the tablespoons it surprising. I was just dumping in the mayo and not really considering how much I was really getting. I figure I am worth the effort to make sure I am paying attention to portion sizes. Everything really is super sized. I know in restaurants you are actually getting enough food for 2 meals. Of course your paying so you should eat it all. Part of me getting to a heatlhy weight is being aware of what I am doing food wise and exercising.

katia
06-09-2004, 09:14 AM
When I am at home, I measure out portions most of the time. It helps me to estimate what a portion looks like when I'm eating out because I see what 4 oz of chicken or 1/2 cup of rice look like on a regular basis. Actually paying attention to serving sizes and how much I was eating was the first step I took in trying to lose weight.

Restaurant portions are huge, except at expensive restaurants for some reason. I never finish a meal, but just have the leftovers boxed up so I have lunch or dinner for the next day or two.

glynne
06-09-2004, 09:37 AM
Some foods are kind of tricky too ~ you pour out a bowl of cereal and think you are having one serving ~ until you look at what one serving is on the back of the box ~ something like 3/4 a cup. So what you think is one serving is like twice as much or more.

Those muffins in the store are another thing ~ I was surprised to read on the label that one serving is 1/2 a muffin.

Gayle

Jillegal
06-09-2004, 12:10 PM
Weight Watchers has some little tips which are especially helpful when you don't have your scale along with you. For example:

The palm of your hand (minus fingers) = 3 ounces of meat, fish, or poultry. I don't recommend actually placing the food in your palm, especially while at fancy restaurants.

Filling one cupped hand = 2 ounces of nuts or pretzels. I had to laugh at that one, I think my whole family with both hands cupped together equals what I used to consider a serving of pretzels.

Whole thumb (tip to base) = 1 ounce of meat or cheese and
Thumb tip (tip to first joint) = 1 tablespoon. "Thumbs up" to ensure proper measuring!

Closed Fist = 1 medium whole fruit. This can be a tough one because I have difficulty finding fruit with knuckles.

Index finger (1st to 2nd joint) = 1 inch. Note I said Index finger, not to be confused with middle finger, which I mistakenly used at the deli resulting in a near black eye.

Goddess Jessica
06-09-2004, 02:54 PM
Suzie - For egg salad, I blend fat free cottage cheese in a blender until smooth and add one tablespoon on mayo and whatever spices I'm going to add. It gives you a similar texture and taste without so much fat.

missaprylj
06-10-2004, 03:42 AM
That also works with tuna salad, I LOVE IT!
It's better than with straight mayo. :D

jiffypop
06-10-2004, 11:51 AM
i was squirreling around msn's women's pages yesterday, and found their quizzes. there was one on PORTION SIZES. some very interesting relationships..

i won't tell you what i scored though.. i don't want to scare anyone!!!

but i'll give you a clue: did you know that a serving of bulk cheese is about the size of a 9-volt battery????