General Diet Plans and Questions - Eating For Life / Body For Life June 2004

Jennifer 3FC
06-08-2004, 04:51 PM
It's late into the month, but last month's thread was getting fairly long so I am starting us up with June. Here is a snippet Suzanne used to explain the program when the original thread started that might be helpful to chicks that don't know what the program is about.

Helpful links:
Chat with Bill Philips on WebMD about the EFL plan (http://my.webmd.com/content/article/79/96131.htm?lastselectedguid={5FE84E90-BC77-4056-A91C-9531713CA348})
Eating for Life official site (http://www.eatingforlife.com) which includes sample recipes and program basics. Make sure you read the Q&A.

EFL Basics:
You eat 6 times a day. This is generally small balanced meals including breakfast, lunch, dinner, two snacks (which usually are a meal replacement bar or shake, or a nutrition shake from book recipes) and a healthy dessert. You can enjoy fruits, breads, etc, and it can be adapted to fit a vegetarian lifestyle. You follow the plan 6 days a week, and then you enjoy a free day.

The recipes in the book look heavenly, including Santa Fe Chicken Soup, Balsamic Salmon Salad, Turkey Bacon Quiche, Pumpkin Cheesecake, and many more. If you already have Body for Life, you'll notice that Eating for Life includes more food choices.

Exercise is recommended, as it should be included in ANY weight loss plan. However, you don't have to follow the weight lifting routine recommended in Body for Life, unless that is your goal.

If you have any questions, please ask. Most importantly, read the books - the key to success on any program! :)

Jennifer 3FC
06-08-2004, 05:01 PM
By the way, for those new to the thread - I am currently unable to exercise because of surgery. I was also told not to diet during this time. I'm still following a loose version of EFL while I recuperate. It's a sane plan and way of eating. I'm just not lowering my calories too much, and I'm eating less protein while I'm not lifting. I plan on being released at the first of July and will start over with Challenge 1.

Jennifer 3FC
06-11-2004, 01:09 AM
I haven't tried this recipe - but might do it this weekend. I haven't run the numbers in Mastercook yet to see if the ratio is right.

Fool Yourself Cookies Recipe:
1/2 banana, mashed
1 TBSP Peanut Butter
1/3 cup Oatmeal
1 pkg. Swiss Miss No Sugar Added Hot Cocoa
1/4 tsp. Baking Powder (NOT soda)
1/2 scoop protein powder
Mix all ingredients thoroughly and drop by spoonfuls onto baking sheet. Bake at 300 degrees for 10 minutes.
Makes 6 cookies, which equals one MEAL (one serving carb/one serving protein).

ShowSkiMom
06-11-2004, 10:04 AM
I always dismissed BFL because it seemed to rigid and restrictive and knowing me the way I do, I'd last about 2 weeks and then throw in the towel. I'm very excited though about EFL and so happy I stumbled upon this thread! This seems much more doable to me. I read all of the Q&A on the EFL site and went back through most of the posts on the first thread. Still have a question though. Can I do EFL alone or do I need to buy both books and incorporate the exercise routines from BFL? I've got the cardio covered since I'm already spinning 3 mornings a week. I will need to add more consistant weight training though. I was planning on doing the "Pilates on the Ball" class at the gym twice a week but it doesn't sound like it will be intensive enough. Any guidance you can offer a newbie would be greatly appreciated.

Jennifer 3FC
06-11-2004, 11:00 AM
I wouldn't think you'd have to follow the BFL routines if you aren't happy with them. As long as you are doing a good solid weight routine you will probably see results. He designed the two to go together, but I'm sure there are a ton of ways to modify it to work for you!

If it were me, I'd start strictly weights for the weight training part, and maybe later incorporate Pilates. Then you will have a better idea of what muscle groups you are working and how good of a workout you are getting. As a beginner (like me) I think it would be hard to judge if that was a good workout or not compared to regular weight training.

ShowSkiMom
06-11-2004, 07:35 PM
I went ahead and bought both books tonight. I think it was the eating plan that seemed too hard when I first read about BFL. I looked through the exercise section and they don't seem too bad. I'm really pschyed about the EFL book and all of the recipes. I love to cook so I'm glad that I'll be able to make meals that my picky son will eat.

So, off to bed I go, at 6:30 in the evening, to read, read, read!

Thanks again,
Lori

Jennifer 3FC
06-11-2004, 08:46 PM
Well I thought it was the other way around! The EFL book is the same eating plan as on BFL. If you need help getting the hang of it, just ask! In a nutshell, if you keep it lowfat, then all you need to do is balance your carbs and protein as close as possible, and keep the calories within reason. There is no calorie counting, but if you have palm size protein and fist sized carbs at each meal and keep it low fat, plus add 2 veggies a day, you'll be set. I had a hard time at first, then I realized it was a lot simpler than I was letting it be.

Happy reading!

Jennifer 3FC
06-12-2004, 03:54 PM
I found a cookbook on Amazon that might be interesting. The Menopause Diet Mini Meal Cookbook. The ideas behind the diet are nothing like EFL/BFL, but the recipes in the book are 40/35/25, very close to EFL, and they are based on mini meals, approximately 250 calories each.

I read the table of contents at Amazon and it looked really interesting. The only thing necessary to modify the recipes would be to lower the fat by 5% and boost the carbs by 5%. I might buy the book. If I do, I'll post back if I like the recipes or not.

ShowSkiMom
06-12-2004, 04:22 PM
I've been trying to figure out how much fat we're allowed to have and I think you just answered the question. How does that translate into an actual serving size though? He mentions 1 Tbl. of oil in BFL. Is that it for the day?

BTW Jennifer...my son came up behind me and saw your picture and asked me when I had it taken...he thought for a minute that you were me! We do kind of resemble each other :)

Jennifer 3FC
06-12-2004, 09:14 PM
20 percent of your daily calories can come from fat. If you eat 1600 calories a day (just for example), 20 percent of that is 320 calories. At 9 calories per gram of fat, that is about 36 grams of fat a day, and 160 grams each of protein and carbs. Not much, but you do have free day once a week. ;) I would imagine you wouldn't add a T of oil more than once per day before you hit your limit with regular foods. There's not much fat in grilled chicken, brown rice, egg whites, etc but it does add up. This isn't a calorie counting program, but I had to lay it out that way to give you the birds eye view.

I honestly didn't measure out the fat when I was cooking/eating. I had a palm sized protein, a fist sized carb, and I cooked with as little fat as I could. Most of the fat that I had was what came naturally in the food I cooked. I cut out the butter, mayo and most of the cheese. I used cooking spray and that butter-cheesy powder on veggies and potatoes. I did snack on almonds, so that added in some fat.

I was interrupted on the program for surgery and right now I'm just eating mini meals of sensible foods and not counting anything while I heal (dr's orders, no diet for 4 weeks) but this time, I promise, said it a million times but never did it, I'm going to use FitDay and SEE exactly what I am eating. I run around like a madman all the time and haven't had the patience to sit down and figure out the program, so I will do it while I'm on medical leave. It's great, because you can see at the end of the day exactly what your percentages were for the day.

ledom
06-14-2004, 09:13 AM
Hi Jennifer and Lori - welcome Lori and it sounds as if you have an interesting hobby. I am a kayaker and just got back from floating 60 miles down a river for the past 5 days. I had so much fun.

Well, back home and back to the routine. I am working legs and abs today.

On fat. I don't track nutrients regularly. I just try to follow the fist/palm guidelines. On oil, I don't cook with it. There are two times I add it to food. I use UDOs and I put about a T. on scrambled egg whites, after they are cooked, and I use it along w/ spicy mustard as a salad dressing.

Jennifer, thanks for starting the new thread. How are you feeling?

Jennifer 3FC
06-14-2004, 12:35 PM
Hi Ledom, sounds like you had a nice time! I am feeling better. It still hurts if I do too much walking around or lifting, so mostly I just sit around and feel sorry for myself! Just about the exercise. I can't believe how much I miss it. I hope I still feel this gung-ho about it when I get released. I go back to the dr next week and I am hoping for a better idea of when I can diet and exercise again.

For oil - is Udo's just regular flax oil, or does it have other things in it? My mother puts a serving in a small glass of V8 each morning and swears she can't tell it's in there.

ledom
06-16-2004, 09:39 AM
Hey Jennifer, sorry it took me a while to get back to you. I have the box UDOs came in here in front of me. It is a blend that contains oils from cold-pressed, certified organic flax, sunflower, sesame seeds, evening primrose oil and the bran of rice and oats. It is pricey and I think the less expensive flax oil probably gets the job done. I actually like the taste of it though. I thought of some more ways I use it. I use it anytime I would normally use butter, I put a little on steamed vegetables and potatoes and also a Tbs. in shakes.

I am struggling to get back w/ the program. Vacation was a real distraction, not only in the food department but also it has played havoc w/ my routines. Yesterday was pretty decadent but I am starting the day off w/ focus and determination. I hope some other posters and lurkers will hop on - I could use the energy of some other folks who are walking the line!

I believe that I will record my food on fitday for a few days in order to get a grip on what I am doing. I also need some new foods. I finally got tired of turkey meatloaf. I have been craving beef lately so will grill some patties of lowfat beef and search my cookbooks for some other things to change my menu up some.

ledom
06-16-2004, 10:38 AM
I'm feeling better already. Arms and shoulders worked. A lot of water down the hatch and it is almost time for meal two. I am going to be careful about meal spacing today.

Jennifer 3FC
06-16-2004, 04:04 PM
Good for you! I'm glad you are getting back on track. I know I am going to have a hard time getting back in line after I'm released by the doctor. I'm being 'good' but not on a diet, so it will still be hard when the time comes. In the past, I always did good after my first day. That first perfect day is tough, but it is definitely empowering! Hang in there until bedtime and I know tomorrow will be easier for you.

Yes, I would love to hear from lurkers also! Please introduce yourself and let us know something about you. This thread gets a lot of page views but not a lot of posts. We can definitely help each other succeed with more participation. If anybody has questions, please ask!

Does anybody have suggestions on a protein to eat with fruit, other than cottage cheese or cheese sticks? That seems to be the only thing I pair with it and I'd like something new. Something yummy with strawberries or nectarines.

Jennifer 3FC
06-16-2004, 05:23 PM
I found a great tracking program. I've seen the site before, but never actually looked at it very good until now. http://www.bfltracker.com You can post all of your measurements and goals and update with each BFL challenge.

You can type in your measurements and update weekly, if you want. It has columns for weights, measurements and weekly notes.

You can see some completed logs here:
http://www.bfltracker.com/latestprofiles.cfm

I would suggest clicking on the right hand column since they are recently updated and probably have more info on them than the new ones on the left.

Jennifer 3FC
06-16-2004, 05:45 PM
Wow, how is this for motivation?

http://www.bfltracker.com/showphotos.cfm?id=2199

ledom
06-16-2004, 10:15 PM
Hey Jennifer - On the protein, here are a couple of ideas. Sometimes I have deli turkey breast w/ fruit. I like to squirt spicy mustard on it and roll it up like a wrap and eat it with fresh cherries this time of year. I know you didn't like the EAS shakes but have you tried making smoothies w/ fruit, CC, and/or protein powder. Another way I like to eat fruit. 1/2 a serving of protein powder mixed in w/ 1/2 serving of oatmeal 1/2 serving of CC and 1/2 serving of fruit like strawberries or blueberries makes a great breakfast. Or, how about a fruit pancake? I have been making pancakes w/ 4 whites, 1/4 c CC, 1 T cocoa powder, 1/3 c dry oatmeal, splenda to taste and a handful of blueberries, serve w/ sugar free syrup.

ledom
06-17-2004, 11:01 AM
Good morning, Jen I enjoyed browsing around the bfl tracker. Before and after pictures always inspire me. I took photos of myself around the first of the year so I will try to make time in the next couple of days to take some more pics.

Yesterday I was back on track. My workout was so good, it left me feeling pumped the rest of the day. I'll be doing cardio today. I get weird about weighing when I know I haven't lost or think I might see a gain. Therefore I am going to wait another week or so before weighing again. I don't want to upset myself and fall into regret. I see a nice, unstressful couple of months ahead of me (knock on wood) before I have to go back to work. No trips planned until mid-August so I really want to make the most of this time while I actually have time to give myself lots of attention.

Jen, I am looking forward to having you back in action. Not only for your sake but so I have a buddy in the daily pursuit of bfl perfection!

Jennifer 3FC
06-17-2004, 03:30 PM
Wow, you don't have to go back to work for 2 months? Cool. I have to go back in 2 weeks. :cry:

I'm definitely not going to be lifting for a while. Carrying my pocketbook pulls on my stomach and getting in and out of the car (SUV, so it's a jump) makes my incision weep. I'd say at least another month before I get to lift. Hopefully I'll be back on a real eating plan next Tuesday when I do a follow up visit.

I read for a good snack, mix equal portions of sweet potato (I assume mashed) and cottage cheese, and then add vanilla, Splenda and pumpkin pie spice to taste. It didn't say to heat it up, but I think it would be better warm. Or warmish!

ledom
06-18-2004, 11:11 AM
Morning Jennifer, I have had the sweet potato/cc meal a lot of times. I like it a lot. When I make sweet potatoes I bake several at once. Then it is easy to warm one in the microwave before mixing w/ CC. This morning my breakfast was tasty. I had cantaloupe and cc. The cantaloupe was so good. Yesterday I was picture perfect UNTIL right before I went to bed and I had a bad snack. I haven't done that in ages but must go to bed earlier or drink water or something to avoid that happening again. I'll certainly be conscious of what is going on with me tonight in terms of food.

Yes, nice long vacations is a perk of teaching.

I hope your Dr. okays you to get back to your eating plan soon. So sorry that the surgery is taking you out of the exercise picture, but it will pass.

Chest workout today.

BfL_Cat
06-18-2004, 11:48 AM
I just found you all again - see what happens when I'm not really paying attention! Have a bunch of posts to get caught back up on, and then I'll be back!
Cindy

mellywelly
06-18-2004, 12:00 PM
Ok, Im gonna be doing this by the seat of my pants until I can afford to buy the book, so I have one question. Where does dairy fit in? Such as Yogurt? Thanks in advance!!!

BfL_Cat
06-18-2004, 12:03 PM
Ledom - welcome back from your trip - with all I have going on right now, I lost track of you! I spent last weekend in Newport, RI, and have been struggling with getting back on track myself.... Glad to hear your getting back into your workouts and had an *almost* perfect food day yesterday!

Hey there Jennifer! That tracker site is great, isn't it? I've spent hours and hours there in the past...

I *finally* did an UBWO today - the bicep tendonitis is much, much better, and the PT said it was time to start back with some very light weights. It almost seems silly to be doing just 2 sets with 5# weights, but I need to really ease back into this.

My eating has been a bit spotty - having a man in my life now is presenting a challenge on the eating front - he follows a low fat/high carb program, and thinks chocolate Teddy Grahams is a good breakfast! And, he hates cottage cheese!

But, I think we'll work through it - my weight is hanging steady right now - I had an initial gain due to all the eating out we were doing, but now it's back down.

Yum - that sweet potato recipe sounds great - I'll definitely have to try that!
Cindy

BfL_Cat
06-18-2004, 12:53 PM
MellyWelly - dairy generally has a lot of carbs in it, so often it's a combination food, or actually a carb.

With yogurt, you really have to watch the sugar/carb content as it's usually 20g or higher per cup. For example, one meal I have often is 1 cup of a low-fat fruited yogurt mixed in with 1 cup of cottage cheese to balance it out.
Cindy

ledom
06-18-2004, 01:10 PM
Hey Melly welcome aboard and CINDY so good to hear from you.

Melly, these are good websites that will give you the basic jist of the plan

www.eatingforlife.com/
http://www.bodyforlife.com/

yogurt is considered a protein - ask away and we'll do our best to answer any of your questions

Cindy, so glad you are enjoying a new man in your life. I can appreciate the challenges it is bringing you, but I know you'll work it out. I have been rereading some of your e-mails on menu and workout schedule to help get myself back in the groove.

I just realized that Wed. was the end of week 12 for me. I am just not in the mood to get on the scale but I have lost roughly 10 lbs. this challenge. My clothes are fitting really good and I have gotten into the next smaller size so I have to consider the challenge a success even with a couple weeks of vacation thrown in. I think I will give myself another week when hopefully I'll feel good enough to weigh and then start another challenge.

mellywelly
06-18-2004, 01:23 PM
So A dannon light n fit smoothie, which has 15c 5p, how would that work? Would it be better if i added a peice of meat as a "side dish" so to speak?

Jennifer 3FC
06-18-2004, 01:52 PM
Ok I have a yogurt question - On low carb, it is considered protein because the carbs eat themselves because of the yogurt cultures, etc. I thought EFL didn't lay it out like that and yogurt was considered a carb. That's how I was eating it. Am I wrong? I know I read it because I had to change my thinking around again- but maybe it wasn't an official source.

Melly, you need to keep your carbs and protein as close together as possible, so I would add a cheese stick or a couple of slices of lean deli meat if it were me. Or an egg white omelet. Also, a great way to track your percentages is www.fitday.com . You can see what percentage you wind up at. You want 40% carb, 40% protein and 20% fat.

ledom
06-18-2004, 02:08 PM
OOPS you are right Jennifer! I am wrong wrong wrong on that. It is a carb, my confusion might stem from the fact that the only way I have eaten yogurt is mixed in w/ CC and I do that very rarely.

Jennifer 3FC
06-21-2004, 12:15 AM
Recipe!

I found this on BFL - I think it is reader submitted, but it is BFL Authorized.

CHICKEN GYROS

2 servings
Grill or broil two boneless skinless chicken breasts and chop into bite size pieces. Mix 3/4 cup fat free plain yogurt with 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon pepper and a pinch of salt. Add 1/2 cup chopped tomato and 1/2 cup chopped cucumber to the yogurt mixture. Place chicken and yogurt and vegetable mixture on two whole wheat pieces of pita bread. Wrap and enjoy!

Jennifer 3FC
06-21-2004, 12:17 AM
Also BFL Authorized:

Easy Foil Chicken
4 servings
4 chicken breasts (1 portion size each)
9-12 small red potatoes
4 portion sizes of califlower or broccoli
fat free/ low sodium chicken broth

Spray tin foil with garlic flavored cooking spray.
Place 1 chicken breast on foil and a portion of red potatoes and vegetables.
Spray with garlic flavored cooking spray.
Drizzle a tablespoon of the broth over all ingredients and pepper to taste.

Cover with tin foil and bake in preheated 350 degree oven for about 30 minutes and serve immediately.

Jennifer 3FC
06-21-2004, 12:19 AM
FETTUCINE BAKE
1 serving
1/2 C. browned lean ground turkey
3/4 C. cooked fettucine noodles
1/4 C. Egg Beaters or other egg substitute
1/4 C. canned mushrooms
1/2 C. chopped artichoke hearts
1 slice fat-free swiss cheeese (optional)

Combine the browned turkey meat, noodles and egg beaters. (you will need to toss it with your fingers to mix it well) Layer 1/2 of this mixture into the bottom of a single serving Pyrex type dish. Layer on the mushrooms, artichokes, and swiss cheese. Top with remaining noodle mixture. Bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes.

Submitted by Todd Whitley

ledom
06-21-2004, 10:10 AM
Good morning, How is everyone this monday morning? Looks as if you have busy finding new things to eat Jennifer. The fettucine bake sounds good. I made a batch of BFL chili over the weekend. Also peeled and cubed a fresh pineapple. I have been enjoying peppered turkey from the deli the last week or so and stocked up on that. Blueberries and raspberries have been playing a big role in my diet lately as well.

Boy was last week ever a rollercoaster for getting my head straight about sticking to my plan. I got all my workouts in but food was another matter, a day on and a day off. I was really losing my focus. I have two days of clean eating behind me now and a household free of cheat foods. I reminded myself of my short term goal, did a little writing in my journal, and I feel more confident than I have lately.

On weighing, I know I am in trouble when I am afraid to weigh. Sometimes weighing just helps keep me focused. My goal is to step on the scale by the end of the week.

On another front, my DD gained 15-20 lbs. during her sophomore year, freshman year she avoided that pitfall, anyway she has been working really hard this summer on losing it and is having great success. I am so proud of her, not to mention inspired by her. We went to a play over the weekend and she was just too cute for words in her dressy clothes.

Jennifer 3FC
06-21-2004, 05:33 PM
Ok Ledom, you can get through this week! Keep at it, one day at a time. Maybe you can plan a weeks worth of meals. If you have the menus, maybe you can look towards that next meal instead of eating unexpected off plan meals.

I have some smoothie recipes and some other things I found this morning. I'll post them later today.

On a good note - I weighed this morning and I'm the same as I was right before surgery - so being in limbo these days hasn't hurt me. I was afraid to weigh. My stomach is still swollen from surgery, and I thought what if it isn't swollen, what if I gained weight! But all was well.

Lurkers - we have a LOT of page views on this thread - please post with us!

Jennifer 3FC
06-21-2004, 05:47 PM
Here's a recipe I just read for deviled eggs - sounds interesting. Can anybody recommend a fat free mayo that doesn't taste bad? I've tried one or two - didn't like them. (We need a BLECH! smiley)

(these aren't my notes below the recipe)

*Garys Deviled Eggs*

These deviled eggs have the taste & texture of regular deviled eggs without the egg yolks.
Mix these ingredients together to taste : leftover mashed potatoes, fatfree mayonaise, plain mustard, sweet pickle relish, garlic powder, paprika, ground black pepper
Hard boil your eggs, cut them in half, and remove the yolks. I save my yolks in a tupperware container in the fridge and feed them to my dogs as a special treat...they love 'em! :-)
Stuff each egg half with a heaping teaspoon of the filling (you can use that as reference for how much filling to make). For a balanced BFL meal, I eat 6 deviled egg halves (3 whole egg whites) with a couple of fat-free Rye Krisp crackers on the side. The mashed potato filling doesn't make a full carb portion, so the crackers round out the carbs. They also compliment the flavor of the eggs nicely.

ledom
06-21-2004, 07:41 PM
Jennifer, that is great news about staying the same. Guess what, this afternoon I decided I had to weigh and I weighed the same as before too! I know what you mean, I feel like I just got a new lease on life. You're right, I can have a good week and I know I will. Knowing I am not going to be covering old ground w/ anything I lose is just a real nudge in the right direction for me.

Isn't your Dr. appt. this week? Hope you get a good report.

Jennifer 3FC
06-22-2004, 01:12 AM
Good for you! Yes, Dr Appt is tomorrow. (Well, actually it is now 'today')
I expect I can go back on the eating plan but it will definitely be a while on the exercise. I can feel that I'm not anywhere near ready.

~~Mrs. B's Orange Julius Shake~~
Makes 1 serving

3 oz. unsweetened orange juice
8 oz. fat free [skim] milk
4 tsps. Splenda [sweetner]
1/2 tsp. orange extract
10 ice cubes
1 scoop of vanilla protein powder [18 g. of protein]

Dump all ingredients into a blender and blend on high until thick and
creamy. Nutritional stats are;

Calories:224
Potein:27g.
Carbs:27.7g.
Fats:1g.

Jennifer 3FC
06-23-2004, 09:17 AM
This was on Body For Life. Looks like an easy one, I'll save this for when I go back to work.

Chocolate Peanut Butter Delight
(authorized)

1/2 cup fat free cottage cheese
1 tbsp reduced fat natural peanut butter
1 tsp low calorie hot chocolate mix (sugar free)
1 small banana

-Mix ingredients & enjoy.

ledom
06-23-2004, 10:04 AM
Hey Jennifer, you're making me hungry. Anything w/ chocolate and peanut butter is my favorite. Your last recipe reminded me of this one that I used a lot last winter.

Chocolate Muffins
Ingredients

12 egg whites
1 1/4 c. uncooked quick cooking oats
9 T Low sugar red raspberry jam
Dash of vanilla extract
1 1/2 T cocoa powder 4 T Nestle no sugar added chocolate milk mix powder
Splenda to taste

Procedure

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Blend ingredients in a blender and pour into muffin tins that have been sprayed with Pam. (I don't blend, just stir instead)
Bake for 20 minutes.

(I use four mini loaf pans)

Hey, some good new from the home front, I have overcome my diet demons of last week and am on my way down the scale once again. I was so excited this morning, I lost 1.50 lbs. which makes me 3 lbs. lower than I can remember in forever, I mean like 15 years or so. It is getting exciting! I also had a GREAT clothes shopping adventure yesterday. I found the cutest things on sale, it was just one of those days when I was finding the best stuff. I am in the smallest women's sizes now and just can not wait to graduate to misses. I didn't hold back too much on my purchases yesterday even though I do hope to grow smaller very soon. I am just going to wear the fool out of the things I bought right now.

Despite vacation tomfoolery, this past challenge was great! I feel as though I'll meet my summer goal and hopefully I'll meet my goal for the year. I'll keep you posted on that.

BfL_Cat
06-28-2004, 10:49 AM
Happy Monday gals - how are you all doing? My food has been less than stellar this past week, due to a wicked case of PMS... But I think it's passed, and I will try to get back on track...

Of course, that means throwing away the "junk" I bought over the weekend - cereal, wheat thins and peanut butter... Ok, well maybe I'll keep the peanut butter and see if I can behave with it in the house!

OD'd on corn on the cob yesteday - had three full ears with my steak, but it's a once-in-a-while thing, so I took it as a free meal and enjoyed guilt free!

Got my EFL book back from the coworker I lent it to, so I'll be looking through it tonight for some motivation and guidance. Anyone tried anything new in it lately???

Hope everyone enjoyed their weekends and has a good week ahead.... Holiday weekend coming up!
Cindy

ledom
06-28-2004, 11:16 AM
Good morning Cindy and Jennifer,

Ah, I had a bumpy weekend too. Back to the grindstone this a.m. for me. I believe I will start another official challege today. When you make it a lifestyle the 12 week challenges become less distinct. Sitting down and proclaiming another period of clean eating and workouts does have a motivating influence though, so why not.

I am kind of in a rut w/ food, at least trying new things. I grilled meat this weekend and fresh produce is becoming plentiful so I am basing my meals along those lines right now. Cindy, I know you are a good cook so let us know what you end up trying. Have you ever done the strawberry cheesecake out of EFL, it is the one thing that I try to keep on hand.

Jennifer, how is your recovery coming along? Have you started back to work yet?

I gave a dinner party on Friday night and it was a hectic day getting ready for it. Then DD came home for the weekend and we ate a couple meals out. I am ready for a nice quiet day at home getting back into my routines.

Jennifer 3FC
06-28-2004, 02:13 PM
Hi Ledom and Cat!

Cat- I've been having PMSish symptoms also. I haven't had bonafide sugar cravings in ages, but now that my ovaries are gone my estrogen must be circling the drain with force! I've wanted chocolate, marshmallows, cookies, cakes. I've done well. I had cheesecake one night (half a piece) and I had a choc bar and marshmallows. That doesn't SOUND good, but compared to the monstrous daily cravings, I'm pretty pleased. I only eat marshmallows one at a time so that is only 20 calories and a wee bit of sugar. The thing is, I'm disappointed in giving into the cravings even if I only do it a little. I doubt I would have given in if I were allowed to diet. This is HARD not eating on plan. I weigh the same as I did when I had surgery, so I'm doing ok. I don't know how to eat off plan without gaining weight but I seemed to have figured it out. For the first time in my life, I have found my maintenance level, which is amazing. This Friday I should be released to go back on plan. This week I will make a goal of 5 EFL recipes and I'll let you all know what I like and don't like.

Ledom - Congratulations on the loss! You did really great despite all the travelling you did. Good luck getting into misses!

My mini-menopause book hasn't come yet. Hmmm. I just now realized that. The book sounds like it is almost the same as the BFL eating plan. Fat and carbs are off by 5% and that is all. All recipes are around 250 calories. Can't wait to see it!

Jennifer 3FC
07-01-2004, 10:41 AM
I'm closing the June thread and starting July!