South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 06-07-2004, 11:19 AM   #1  

Question Sugar content... SO confused.

Hi again everyone,

Okay. I looked at all of my salad dressings in my fridge. And I absolutely have no idea what I'm allowed to have or not.

For instance, one of my all-time favorite dressings is a Kraft "Signature" dressing, Roasted Red Pepper and Parm. On the label, it says there are 2g. sugars (2 g. carbs) in 2 tbsp. I assume, then, this is in the not-allowed category.

I also have Kraft fat-free Italian. Same deal.

And what about mayo/Miracle Whip? I like to use a little bit of light-MW on my scrambled eggs, but is that allowed? Even just a tablespoon or less?

Help! I mean, I know that avoiding processed type foods is best -- but sometimes a girl's gotta add some flavour. But I have no idea what to look for on the labels.

Thanks ladies, I know you'll come through for me on this one.

Kim
SW 152/GW 120/CW 152
PH1/W1/D2
Old 06-07-2004, 11:44 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

Salad dressing with 3 grams of sugar or less per serving are acceptable. I use Ken's Lite Northern Italian w/Basil & Romano. Taste pretty good, I've used it as a marinade also.

The same thing applies to the miracle whip/mayo. I think the miracle whip has too much sugar but I'm going from memory and that sometimes isn't so good. I use hellmans regular mayo, last week I bought the 2g fat version of Hellmans, taste pretty good. But just realized that I forgot to check how much sugar was in it. Hmmm... How did I forget something like that?

Sarah
Old 06-07-2004, 12:08 PM   #3  

For Mayo the book says to use regular mayo not the reduced fat.

For salad dressings, we found that many of them 'say' certain amounts of things - however we only use two kinds now. Walton Farms FF SF thousand island, and Newman's light. Other than that we make our own dressings. I used to work for Kraft - personally I wouldn't be consuming that stuff. The sodium/fat/preservatives are usually EXTREMELY high.
Old 06-07-2004, 12:23 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 307/187/130

Height: 5'4"

Hmm on the whole Miracle whip issue, since it is technically a dressing I think it would be find but **** I'm not a master Also if you like the taste of MW add alittle splenda to regular mayo and it tastes pretty close
mIchelle
Old 06-07-2004, 01:42 PM   #5  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

About the Miracle Whip, I'm pretty sure there was a discussion on the FAQ board about it. The consensus was that MW was not OP. However, the whole real/red. fat mayo thing is pretty confusing! The book definitely says to use the real stuff, but all the recipes say otherwise. I usually use a mix of light and regular mayo if it calls for a ton, but if not, just use the regular.

Both of your dressings sound fine sugarwise, but check the fat. The fat free one is obviously not an issue, but check the other for saturated or trans fat.
Old 06-07-2004, 02:22 PM   #6  

I have to say, eating full-fat mayo goes against everything I "know" about eating right. Ugh. That's my only qualm about this plan. The feta cheese, the mayo, etc, etc.

But as long as I lose weight, I don't care, I guess. I just don't want to NOT lose weight because I've been eating the wrong mayo/MW/dressing/whatever. Granted, I'm sure a little mis-step here and there won't hurt much. But it's a combination that hurts.
Old 06-07-2004, 02:33 PM   #7  
I can do this!

Hi, Kim!

Why does it go against everything you have learned? I know that we have all been told to eat low fat diets, but honestly, looking at the rise in diabetes, cholesterol, and blood pressure, how is it working? I think Dr. A's arguments make perfect sense! Besides, feta cheese is very low in fat. He recommends low fat cheese. It's hard for me to believe that people on Atkins actually lower their cholesterol. Not all do, but the majority seem to, according to my doctor. It doesn't make much sense, but neither does the idea that what we put into our body stays the same through our digestive system. The realization that excess sugars causes fat rather than eating fat causing us to be fat is a hard reach for those indoctrinated with the low-fat plans, but it makes sense when you stop and think about it. Anyways, that's my $0.02. (<--- Okay, I'm off, now. )

If it worries you, eat lower fat items (that do not replace the fat with sugar) or have your cholesterol checked regularly to see how the diet is affecting you. My doctors have such faith in SBD that they asked me to wait a couple months for my yearly cholesterol checkup. They believe it is going to go down even farther on this diet and want to see those results.

You never know! :
Old 06-07-2004, 02:48 PM   #8  

Oh, it's not so much the health stuff I'm worried about -- it's the weight loss! I mean, I know it sounds fully irresponsible, but I ONLY care about my bum being smaller at this point. I'm going to keep following the plan for at least six weeks (two on phase 1 and 4 on phase 2) before re-evaluating. If I haven't lost anything, then I really don't know what might work for me.

As for going against what I know about food... I know what you're saying, absolutely. And the results speak for themselves. It's just so hard to grasp and do the opposite of what we have been taught forever and a day. I don't doubt the SBD, it's just hard to get through my skull.

Let's pray I do lose some pounds because, aside from a lack of variety in Phase 1, it's a relatively easy plan to follow... and who doesn't want that??
Old 06-07-2004, 04:19 PM   #9  
I can do this!

LOL about the losing your bum! I know what you mean, sistah!

I think it makes perfect sense weight loss wise...as I add full fat mayo to my coleslaw (just a bit) today, I was thinking about how hungry we all were on those low-fat diets full of carbs. Never fully satisfied. Eating the whole box of smartwells and wondering why it felt like we just ate air (full of chocolate chips, of course)? I think having that real fat in there satisfies you and makes you too full to overindulge. At least it helps in ways that endless carbs do not.

I hope that SBD works for you. And if it doesn't, keep looking...the right plan for you is out there. Of course, the "eat less, move more" tenet can't hurt.
Old 06-07-2004, 04:27 PM   #10  

Ugh. I'm REALLY scared this won't work for me. (I'm an eternal pessimist when it comes to success with my own body.)

The thing is, this is one of the only diets I can really handle as far as palette goes. I could never do Atkins -- I tried once for a couple of weeks, then didn't eat eggs or bacon again for years. Hideous. So I'm afraid that I might have to try something else because, what the heck else is there out there? The other diets just aren't as sensible and there IS that whole problem of feeling hungry (I SO know what you mean about eating the box of Snackwells!! Haha. And how many bloody boxes of plain Saltene crackers did you eat? Oy.)

I do actually exercise a moderate amount -- I play Ultimate Frisbee three nights a week (talk about killer cardio), and I have been lifting some light weights. But, I haven't really been hard-core on eating until now. I suppose I'm one of those people who, if I have a beer, then I won't be losing for the week. (Sub beer for: pizza, another beer, nachos, ice cream, etc.) So I guess this is the "eat less" part of your suggestion. Heh.

But I won't get worried about having to find another diet until I give this six weeks.
Old 06-07-2004, 05:07 PM   #11  
I can do this!

Know what you mean, Kim. I have always felt like the type of person who just thinks about something, like chocolate and instantly pounds would load on me. However, when I started analyzing it, I had to realize that first of all, our bodies are not created equal. Some people can handle some foods and I can't. Second, that "bad" carbs are not my friend. Third, that I need to cut most sugar out of my diet. Fourth, that I need to eat less food at one sitting! Fifth, that I need to stop leaning on food as a crutch and drug...less eating when bored or upset. Sixth, I need to exercise!

Combine those, and SBD sounds like a perfect fit! There are other diets out there, like Sugarbusters, Carb Addicts, Dr. Phil's plan, etc. They all sound healthy from what I have heard. What cinched SBD for me was that my doctor recommended it. She said that it is not only healthy, but much easier for people to maintain in the long haul. That's the kind of WOE I need! I hope you find it working for you! Since it allows for so much modification, I suppose in many ways it can work for anyone. You just have to have the courage to modify it and make it your own.
Closed Thread